Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,241
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Don’t cross the border illegally.  

Cutting the line to get in is now seen as a good thing when it’s trying to be stopped.

Not understanding why people are supporting a free for all?

no matter how one crosses, they have the right to request asylum. per dept of state.....
    This is 100% correct.  Problem is that is not happening.

Someone mentioned that Republicans don’t want to fix immigration.  Nether do Democrats.  The Dreamer bill/executive order was a nice “see I care while I don’t” gesture.

I do not want people coming in illegally, I don’t want to see people hurt either.

I should save this for the immigration thread as we have people sleeping outside the hotels now who are asylum seekers.  We do not have the resources to help all these people.
    I thought I made my point well enough, but I'll clarify:

Republicans don't want to fix this because they have a vested interest in the immigration crisis, it drives their base to the poles. 

trump knew this, that's why the wall was one of his campaign's primary platforms. 

You said you don't understand why people are supporting a free for all... who is supporting a "free for all"?

What does that even mean, open borders? 
    You have your opinion and I have mine.

I agree w this.  I also don’t see Biden admin doing anything to remedy the situation either.

Supporting a free for all is letting people come in unaccounted for yet when there is a stop gap in place trying to circumvent the amount of people it gets backlash, wall, concertina wire, etc.

When you have people coming over the rio grande and not through the gates that is an open border.  It isn’t secured, there isn’t anyone monitoring the area.

I would love to see them processed and papered and get jobs and to start paying taxes but like you said, there’s an agenda to not let that happen.

surprised I missed this. The Rio Grande has been decimated by global warming yet, in spots, it is still deadly. Since death is free, I guess that supports the free for all comment. 

Rio Grande an International Boundary River Is Drying up and in Need of Restoration
    https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=113832

Migrant deaths at the U.S.-Mexico border hit a record high, in part due to drownings

The river that divides Texas and Mexico is known on the U.S. side as the Rio Grande. On the other side, it has a different name: El Río Bravo, "the angry river" or "the fierce river."

"It seems like it's a slow moving river, but it's fairly swift. It is very deceptive, very dangerous," says Manuel Mello, the fire chief in Eagle Pass, a small city in South Texas that's become one of the busiest crossing spots on the entire border.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/29/1125638107/migrant-deaths-us-mexico-border-record-drownings
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,401
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options

David McCormick is gearing up for a Senate run in Pennsylvania. But he lives in Connecticut
    By BRIAN SLODYSKO
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — David McCormick had a clear explanation for why his fellow Republican, Dr. Mehmet Oz, lost a critical Pennsylvania Senate seat last year: Voters viewed the daytime television celebrity as an interloper from New Jersey with limited ties to the state he hoped to represent.

“People want to know that the person that they’re voting for ‘gets it,’” McCormick, who narrowly lost to Oz in a GOP primary, said in March when asked to offer a postmortem of the general election defeat. “And part of ‘getting it’ is understanding that you just didn’t come in yesterday.”

As Republicans aim to gain the one seat they need to retake the Senate in next year's elections, McCormick is a top recruit. And before his anticipated campaign, he's working to avoid Oz's fate, frequently noting his upbringing in Pennsylvania, his ownership of a home in Pittsburgh and a family farm near Bloomsburg.

“I live in Pennsylvania,” McCormick said during a March appearance on Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s podcast.

But the reality is more complex. While McCormick does own a home in Pittsburgh, a review of public records, real estate listings and footage from recent interviews indicates he still lives on Connecticut's “Gold Coast,” one of the densest concentrations of wealth in America. The former hedge fund CEO rents a $16 million mansion in Westport that features a 1,500-bottle wine cellar, an elevator and a “private waterfront resort” overlooking Long Island Sound.

The trappings of a wealthy enclave, well outside Pennsylvania, offer a jarring contrast with the political identity McCormick has sought to cultivate, which emphasizes his upbringing buck hunting, his Army service and his desire to serve his home state.

Whether voters care will be tested anew should McCormick formally launch a campaign to unseat three-term Democratic Sen. Bob Casey in the 2024 election, which will help determine partisan control of the chamber. Recent Senate history suggests that even favorite sons can be stung when loose ties to home become a campaign issue.

Chris Borick, a professor of political science at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, said McCormick has “more legitimate connections to Pennsylvania than Mehmet Oz.” But he questioned the decision to spend significant time out-of-state, particularly given the decisive role that residency played in the 2022 matchup between Oz and Democratic Sen. John Fetterman.

“He spent a big chunk of time working for Wall Street and living in Connecticut," Borick said of McCormick. “There’s nothing wrong with that choice — unless you want to be a U.S. senator from Pennsylvania.”

He added, “As someone who is aware that he is going to have to confront this, it’s questionable to not really devote yourself."

A spokeswoman for McCormick, Elizabeth Gregory, declined to make him available for an interview and would not say how much of his time he spends at his Connecticut mansion, which also boasts a spa, pool and heated pavilion nestled in an area that real estate listings describe as a “summer playground of America’s wealthiest families.”

“Dave has called Pennsylvania home for 30 years and served our country outside of Pennsylvania for an additional 13," she said. “It's the place he mailed letters back to when he served in Iraq and the place where three of his daughters were born.”

She said, "While he maintains a residence in Connecticut as his daughters finish high school, Dave’s home is in Pittsburgh and for the last 10 years he has owned a working farm in his hometown of Bloomsburg, which has been in the family for decades.”

McCormick was raised in that Susquehanna River town, where his father was a local college president. Political ads emphasize a biography of high school sport, hunting and trimming Christmas trees on his family's farm.

His career since leaving Pennsylvania has been considerably more gilded.

After graduating West Point, McCormick served as an officer in the Gulf War and later earned a doctorate from Princeton. During the heady days of the dot-com bubble, McCormick was CEO of the internet auctioneering house FreeMarkets — amassing wealth as he steered the Pittsburgh-based company to a nearly $500 million acquisition deal in 2004.

He served several years in President George W. Bush's administration, including a stint as a top deputy to then-Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson. Afterward, he joined the upper executive ranks of the global hedge fund behemoth Bridgewater Associates, eventually climbing to CEO. In 2022, McCormick and his wife, Dina Powell McCormick, a former Goldman Sachs executive, held a net worth that ranged between $95.7 million and at least $196.7 million, and included homes in Dallas and the Colorado Rockies, according to an analysis of a candidate financial disclosure he filed with the Senate last year.

Once McCormick set his sights on the U.S. Senate, he began to make some well-timed adjustments.

Three months before launching his first Senate run in January 2022, McCormick sold his family's $6.5 million home in Fairfield, Connecticut. That was followed by the $2.8 million purchase of a stately Tudor-style home in Pittsburgh's Squirrel Hill North neighborhood, records show.

Around the same time, the Connecticut mansion, which he now lists as his home address in some public documents, was taken off the rental market.

McCormick has also not received a homestead tax exemption on his Pittsburgh home, a tax break reserved for an individual's primary place of residence. He voted in a Pennsylvania election for the first time in 16 years during the 2022 Republican primary, when he was on the ballot, voting records show.

When McCormick delivered his concession speech after losing to Oz by just over 900 votes, he was unequivocal about where he lived.

“We’re not going anywhere. This is my home. This is our home,” McCormick said. “This is where my dreams were launched, and this is where we plan to have a future."

Meanwhile, his children continued to attend a $53,000-a-year Connecticut private school where one is still enrolled, according to the school’s website.

In January, as McCormick started to eye another run, he shed his $13.4 million condo on Manhattan's Upper East Side. A document signed by McCormick that was filed in connection with the sale was notarized in Westport, Connecticut, and lists the nearby beachfront home as his address.

This spring, McCormick participated in a series of virtual interviews from the kitchen of his Westport home. Distinguishing features in the background match pictures that were posted publicly before the McCormicks moved in.

A $5,000 campaign contribution made in late March also lists the beachside house as McCormick's home.

McCormick's wealth, which he can channel into his political aspirations, makes him an attractive potential candidate to the Republican Washington establishment, which is cheering him to run again.

But it also presents an opportunity for Democrats, who are likely to seize on his ties to Wall Street in what is expected to again be one of the most competitive Senate matchups in the country.

“This is all dress up," said J.B. Poersch, the head of Senate Democrats TV spending campaign arm. “Covering up for the years that he spent as a hedge fund-monger appears to be just as important as pretending that he fits in."

___

Associated Press writer Marc Levy contributed from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

• Options

• Options
    Has stated he wasn't drunk or otherwise under the influence.

• Options

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,664
    mickeyrat said:
    "Back the Blue"

Not because you give a shit about the cops, but because you need gullible Americans to vote for you. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,006
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,166
    mickeyrat said:
    holy fuck that is awesome
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    Totally 👍 there’s no way this confrontation ends well if that was a black man zero chance! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Calling Linda calling Linda 
    https://www.threads.net/@jojo.fromjerz/post/Cv-TZXjA3Ci/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
    is this the kind of American you do support? 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,442
    https://www.threads.net/@jojo.fromjerz/post/Cv-TZXjA3Ci/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
    Jo doesn't know what that means apparently?  MTG isn't being disrespectful.  She believes that America is in distress.  I didn't like when PJ did it and I sure as hell don't like her doing it either.
  • Options
    Jo doesn't know what that means apparently?  MTG isn't being disrespectful.  She believes that America is in distress.  I didn't like when PJ did it and I sure as hell don't like her doing it either.
    But Rapinoe meant it too....

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Huh? Rapinoe meant what?
  • Options
    Huh? Rapinoe meant what?
    Jo's comment was that if Rapinoe kneels it is disrespectful but it MTG posts an upside down flag it's ok.

My comment was that Rapinoe also believes America is in distress and knelt to show that.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    Love it or leave it, Marge. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Huh? Rapinoe meant what?
    Jo's comment was that if Rapinoe kneels it is disrespectful but it MTG posts an upside down flag it's ok.

My comment was that Rapinoe also believes America is in distress and knelt to show that.
    Ahhh makes sense.  I didn't see the connection.  I knew Rapinoe dropped a flag and didn't see how that fit. 

Rapinoe and MGT are two perfect examples of how far on one side of the spectrum of politics you can be. It's very interesting how different sides of the aisle can use the same form of concern for the future.  There is plenty of middle ground that needs some getting into.

• Options
    Huh? Rapinoe meant what?

Ahhh makes sense.  I didn't see the connection.  I knew Rapinoe dropped a flag and didn't see how that fit. 

Rapinoe and MGT are two perfect examples of how far on one side of the spectrum of politics you can be. It's very interesting how different sides of the aisle can use the same form of concern for the future.  There is plenty of middle ground that needs some getting into.

The difference being that Rapinoe is a gay woman and her rights are being threatened every single day by Republican neocon’s! I’m not sure what rights are being threatened for MTG 
  • Options
    Huh? Rapinoe meant what?

The difference being that Rapinoe is a gay woman and her rights are being threatened every single day by Republican neocon’s! I’m not sure what rights are being threatened for MTG 
    It's a viewpoint that they both have, both are far leaning to the other.  

I know Rapinoe is a big defender of Trans rights which seems to be the enemy for the far right.
  • Options
    Huh? Rapinoe meant what?

I know Rapinoe is a big defender of Trans rights which seems to be the enemy for the far right.
    Yep pretty much but there’s no way I’d put Rapinoe in the same class as MTG in the subhuman category 
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,969
    Rapinoe also didn't drop a flag.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    Huh? Rapinoe meant what?

Yep pretty much but there’s no way I’d put Rapinoe in the same class as MTG in the subhuman category 
    lol that's funny and again, the other side would say the same for Rapinoe.
  • Options
    Huh? Rapinoe meant what?

but that's wrong right? Rapinoe is standing up for a minority and MTG is pushing an alt right agenda

• Options
    Huh? Rapinoe meant what?

but that's wrong right? Rapinoe is standing up for a minority and MTG is pushing an alt right agenda
    I'm not bringing up wrong and right, that's not the point of my statement.  You have people that believe they are right and fight for them like Rapinoe and MGT and have a following of them.  

I don't follow them both enough to know what they are truly for but enough to know that they are on the further sides of the political landscape and one believes in Gazpacho police and the other LBGT's rights.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,664
    edited August 2023
    I recall the incident where Allie Long dropped the flag while doing a choreographed routine w/ Rapinoe, (& one of her teammates quickly scooped it up) but I don't think it was anything other than absent mindedness.. It sure as shit didn't LOOK like any sort of deliberate statement or action. 

If Rapinoe dropped the flag, it's news to me. 

In googling the incident, there were were also questions "Did Rapinoe stomp on the American flag?" so I'm thinking people took that Allie Long incident and tried to make it appear way worse than it actually was. (unless I'm missing a whole other incident... I'm open to being corrected here)

Based on what I've read and heard, I'm inclined to think Rapinoe's been built up as another RW boogey man (boogey woman / boogey person?) by Fox News because lets face it... hating women like Rapinoe resonates w/ Fox's audience. 
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,969
    I recall the incident where Allie Long dropped the flag while doing a choreographed routine w/ Rapinoe, (& one of her teammates quickly scooped it up) but I don't think it was anything other than absent mindedness.. It sure as shit didn't LOOK like any sort of deliberate statement or action. 

If Rapinoe dropped the flag, it's news to me. 

In googling the incident, there were were also questions "Did Rapinoe stomp on the American flag?" so I'm thinking people took that Allie Long incident and tried to make it appear way worse than it actually was. (unless I'm missing a whole other incident... I'm open to being corrected here)

Based on what I've read and heard, I'm inclined to think Rapinoe's been built up as another RW boogey man (boogey woman / boogey person?) by Fox News because lets face it... hating women like Rapinoe resonates w/ Fox's audience. 
    You and I are in 100% agreement on this.  What they did was a rather standard soccer trophy celebration.  Dipshits with an agenda turned that into "She hates America!" and that pretty much brings us up to today.  
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    I really don't like people comparing Marge Greene with someone on the other side of the political spectrum and simply saying something like "well one is far right and the other is far left." No. One is a racist, wackjob bigot. The other believes in rights for people MGT discriminates against. It's not the same thing. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I really don't like people comparing Marge Greene with someone on the other side of the political spectrum and simply saying something like "well one is far right and the other is far left." No. One is a racist, wackjob bigot. The other believes in rights for people MGT discriminates against. It's not the same thing. 
    That’s what I was trying to convey! You said better thanks