Options

Nate Silver 538

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,307
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Oh look. Another great PA poll for Biden. 
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

These new PA polls are astounding.  I.hope. they. are. spot. on.
    The volume and size of the polls at the state level seems to far exceed what happened in 16.  Pollsters realize that Biden is 99% likely to win the popular vote, so they are training themselves on the state since that was the big miss.  
    Weird how it was the big miss when that's how the election is won in the first place. 
    Historically it was rare to win the popular but lose the electoral.  It's happening more frequently now.  But in the past, if you won 3MM more votes or were up by 3 or 4% points, you were locked in.  

Yes but that’s the reason I was so insistent the election in swing states was closer than the polls.

Its not coincidence it’s happening more, especially with trump. He micro targets by location, by message and by key demo, all on a level that no one has done before. That’s why I am concerned about swing state polls. He is now cooking up microtargeted messaging for the big T of PA. Hopefully these new polls prove me wrong.
    All candidates do that. Difference for Trump in '16 was the assistance of Russia and the leaked DNC docs and how they targeted certain states with that material. 

Two years later, when telling his supporters to vote as if he was on the ballot, he just tried to jam the Caravan down our throats. It didn't work. This year the Law and Order stuff seems like Caravan 2.0 and, so far (with 3+ months of polling data to support) it has not worked as well. 

He resonated with that key demo and only that demo unlike any candidate I've seen, because it was like a dog whistle, only they were moved by him and most of us didn't see it.

Unlike a Reagan for example, where his abilities were widely viewed.
    The targeting on tRump's end was done by Parscale wasn't it?  
    As someone mentioned,  alot of it was assisted by Russia.

Bottom line, they are the best at it and rural and exurban America are packing rallies to be near their beloved icon 
    He needs more than those dopes though. Last night did more harm than good. I would be surprised if Biden's lead did not expand. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,127
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

The volume and size of the polls at the state level seems to far exceed what happened in 16.  Pollsters realize that Biden is 99% likely to win the popular vote, so they are training themselves on the state since that was the big miss.  
    Weird how it was the big miss when that's how the election is won in the first place. 
    Historically it was rare to win the popular but lose the electoral.  It's happening more frequently now.  But in the past, if you won 3MM more votes or were up by 3 or 4% points, you were locked in.  

Yes but that’s the reason I was so insistent the election in swing states was closer than the polls.

Its not coincidence it’s happening more, especially with trump. He micro targets by location, by message and by key demo, all on a level that no one has done before. That’s why I am concerned about swing state polls. He is now cooking up microtargeted messaging for the big T of PA. Hopefully these new polls prove me wrong.
    All candidates do that. Difference for Trump in '16 was the assistance of Russia and the leaked DNC docs and how they targeted certain states with that material. 

Two years later, when telling his supporters to vote as if he was on the ballot, he just tried to jam the Caravan down our throats. It didn't work. This year the Law and Order stuff seems like Caravan 2.0 and, so far (with 3+ months of polling data to support) it has not worked as well. 

He resonated with that key demo and only that demo unlike any candidate I've seen, because it was like a dog whistle, only they were moved by him and most of us didn't see it.

Bottom line, they are the best at it and rural and exurban America are packing rallies to be near their beloved icon 
    He needs more than those dopes though. Last night did more harm than good. I would be surprised if Biden's lead did not expand. 

Biden or Lincoln Proj should run ads of trump arguing endlessly with the moderator. It was disgusting to watch.

The risk is trump drags Biden down into the mud and is able to suppress voter turnout. I would not discount that possibility impacting the electoral college.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Yeah and there was one the same day had Biden up 10. So, yeah, about a 6 point lead sounds right. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

Biden or Lincoln Proj should run ads of trump arguing endlessly with the moderator. It was disgusting to watch.

The risk is trump drags Biden down into the mud and is able to suppress voter turnout. I would not discount that possibility impacting the electoral college.
    I think Biden got just the right amount of muddy.

He sits there and takes the attacks he would be framed as a spineless weakling who cannot deal with adversaries.

He fought back just enough, but also held onto the decorum and kept trying to speak to the people and allowed Trump to run his clown show just enough.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

He sits there and takes the attacks he would be framed as a spineless weakling who cannot deal with adversaries.

He fought back just enough, but also held onto the decorum and kept trying to speak to the people and allowed Trump to run his clown show just enough.
    Yeah I think that's a good way of putting it. He didn't just allow himself to get walked all over, but he didn't go full-on crazy like Trump either. The whole thing was outrageous, even by Trump standards. There's going to be a whole generation of teenagers that think this is how debates should work, as well as adults that can barely remember how they're supposed to work. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

Agreed...I wanted him to fight back a bit more but I think he just let him throw feces and dig a deeper hole.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

Agreed...I wanted him to fight back a bit more but I think he just let him throw feces and dig a deeper hole.

This is a huge problem for Biden. I have seen countless “undecided” voters on tv talk about how they “both” ruined the debate.

If a voter is undecided after 5 years and 3 months of trump pulling this crap Since that escalator ride from hell, they are likely voting for trump and just need an excuse to do it. So every swing state poll, I’d give every % not in bidens column to trump. That’s why I think this is a closer race.

even on this left leaning forum, there are plenty of comments on the debate thread  saying they are “both” terrible or both senile. Without any evidence supporting their views.

if certain voters haven’t been disgusted by now by trump or even by last nights abhorrent behavior, they are probably voting trump.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

This is a huge problem for Biden. I have seen countless “undecided” voters on tv talk about how they “both” ruined the debate.

If a voter is undecided after 5 years and 3 months of trump pulling this crap Since that escalator ride from hell, they are likely voting for trump and just need an excuse to do it. So every swing state poll, I’d give every % not in bidens column to trump. That’s why I think this is a closer race.

even on this left leaning forum, there are plenty of comments on the debate thread  saying they are “both” terrible or both senile. Without any evidence supporting their views.

if certain voters haven’t been disgusted by now by trump or even by last nights abhorrent behavior, they are probably voting trump.
    now I'm starting to see the bigger picture of how you view things. there was literally two people who jokingly called them senile, and multiple posts back and forth arguing about it. 

i'd like to know how many really is "countless undecided voters" you've seen on tv. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,643
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

Do we need to post the results of the snap polls of undecided voters?  There's not one that doesn't have Biden winning convincingly that I've seen. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

I think that's probably the Trump Team's strategy.  They have nothing except for the culture war and scary words like "socialism." So just turn everyone off to the whole process.  Anecdotally, I feel like I saw a lot of people talking about Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and how "this is a shitshow all around." 

If they can't get people to vote for Trump, the next best thing is to get them not to vote.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

Do we need to post the results of the snap polls of undecided voters?  There's not one that doesn't have Biden winning convincingly that I've seen. 

Should we post the ones showing Clinton dominated her debates vs trump? I am sharing what I’ve heard countless times on tv since the debate ended 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

now I'm starting to see the bigger picture of how you view things. there was literally two people who jokingly called them senile, and multiple posts back and forth arguing about it. 

i'd like to know how many really is "countless undecided voters" you've seen on tv. 

At least 20.

there is a bizarre culture we have where it’s ok to call someone senile.

I challenge anyone reading this. If they think it’s easy to recall from memory reciting every problem facing America and every plan you have, as well as enduring constant lies and  false attacks while constantly being interrupted and shouted over, go on tv with trump and give it a try

To put trump and Biden on the same level and make a joke about bidens mental facilities is not only ignorant of the facts as they occurred last night, it’s a form of accepted bigotry.

The truth is Biden performed remarkably well considering the assault and abusive behavior he endured. So let’s lie about his performance and make jokes about his age because it’s “popular.”

edit, and don’t forget the blatant sexism. Im sure that’s ok as sexism is very funny.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

The undecideds are nowhere near the numbers of 2016....that isn't a problem for Biden

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,245
    edited September 2020
    No person could "debate" Trump because he doesn't debate. He has no desire to and never will. He enjoys spewing bullshit at his followers because they eat it up so he uses that same strategy during the debate since he knows it's to his advantage. While Biden may have talked around a few questions, which happens in every debate when a divisive topic is brought up, he did give straight answers on the majority of questions he was asked. Sort through all of the shouting, interruptions and personal attacks from Trump and you are left with no real answers on any question he was asked, which is why chaos is where he reigns.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This. Is. Not. 2016. 

Should we post the ones showing Clinton dominated her debates vs trump? I am sharing what I’ve heard countless times on tv since the debate ended 
    Sure. She got about 3 million more votes and had a smaller lead than Biden did going into the debates. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    No person could "debate" Trump because he doesn't debate. He has no desire to and never will. He enjoys spewing bullshit at his followers because they eat it up so he uses that same strategy during the debate since he knows it's to his advantage. While Biden may have talked around a few questions, which happens in every debate when a divisive topic is brought up, he did give straight answers on the majority of questions he was asked. Sort through all of the shouting, interruptions and personal attacks from Trump and you are left with no real answers on any question he was asked, which is why chaos is where he reigns.
    Really the only instance of that I could remember is him not answering the question about "packing" the Supreme Court. And while I wanted an answer on that, it's hard to complain about him not answering that when Trump doesn't answer anything. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    And Biden is better dealing with people directly so the next debate, which is a townhall, favors him as well. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,643
    tbergs said:
    Really the only instance of that I could remember is him not answering the question about "packing" the Supreme Court. And while I wanted an answer on that, it's hard to complain about him not answering that when Trump doesn't answer anything. 
    yes, that's a tough one to answer.  I don't think court packing will play with swing voters, but the reality is that may end up happening. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    If he answers affirmative the 'packing the court' question.... that becomes a flashpoint issue and a major rallying in all the close Senate races.  It changes the election.  

If he answers no, then ends up doing it anyway, then he is a liar.

So answering nothing.... then it getting completely overshadowed by nonsense is a huge victory.  If they get the White House and Senate, I would be dollars to donuts they are going to add justices.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    If he answers affirmative the 'packing the court' question.... that becomes a flashpoint issue and a major rallying in all the close Senate races.  It changes the election.  

If he answers no, then ends up doing it anyway, then he is a liar.

So answering nothing.... then it getting completely overshadowed by nonsense is a huge victory.  If they get the White House and Senate, I would be dollars to donuts they are going to add justices.
    his refusal to answer tells me yes, 100%, that's his plan. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Of course that is his plan but he can't say so because that is ammunition for the right. Totally agree with MayDay there. He's in a tough spot but I think he did the right thing. And, because he was debating a moronic chimp: it got overshadowed. Point for Joe there. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Of course that is his plan but he can't say so because that is ammunition for the right. Totally agree with MayDay there. He's in a tough spot but I think he did the right thing. And, because he was debating a moronic chimp: it got overshadowed. Point for Joe there. 
    yeah, if trump had just shut his mouth for two seconds while joe was trying to avoid the question, that would have been a big trump win. but that whiney orange baby just can't stop yapping. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Stacking the court will come up at the town hall or third debate though...bet on it.  They have an answer planned for sure.

• Options
    Stacking the court will come up at the town hall or third debate though...bet on it.  They have an answer planned for sure.
    what possible answer won't turn off potential moderate republicans?

"we'll do what we have to do within the bounds of the constitution to make sure women's right to health care and their own bodies stays protected"?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

"we'll do what we have to do within the bounds of the constitution to make sure women's right to health care and their own bodies stays protected"?
    "I have no plan to do that and have not discussed it"

• Options

but if he then does it he's a liar (public perception, whether he tries to spin it as "I had no plan at the time I said that" or not)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

How about:

"Look, folks, number 1: We live in a country where now 5 of the 9 justices on the supreme court have been decided by presidents who have not received the majority of support of the American people. I don't know about you, but something about that just seems off to me. Number 2: as far as what we are going to do, look folks, I don't think what is happening right now is a fair comparison verses what happened in 2016. Barrack had almost a full year left in his term. To not even allow his nominee the consideration was a slap in the face to our democracy. Now, four years later, we have less than 6 weeks to go, millions of ballots have already been cast. Here's the deal: I think it would be prudent for those folks' voices to be heard instead of ramming this thing through. Chuck Schumer has said all options are on the table. I'm not sure what the answer is at this point, but since folks have already started to vote and given how close we are to the election, I think we should let the American people CONTINUE to decide who gets to make this enormous decision."
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,789
    But why not just lie? I mean, it would happen after election and this country has began to develop a herd immunity to lies and bullshit.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    But why not just lie? I mean, it would happen after election and this country has began to develop a herd immunity to lies and bullshit.
    democrats are held to a higher standing on that. 

anyone who disagrees with that hasn't been paying attention for the last 5 years. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

How about:

"Look, folks, number 1: We live in a country where now 5 of the 9 justices on the supreme court have been decided by presidents who have not received the majority of support of the American people. I don't know about you, but something about that just seems off to me. Number 2: as far as what we are going to do, look folks, I don't think what is happening right now is a fair comparison verses what happened in 2016. Barrack had almost a full year left in his term. To not even allow his nominee the consideration was a slap in the face to our democracy. Now, four years later, we have less than 6 weeks to go, millions of ballots have already been cast. Here's the deal: I think it would be prudent for those folks' voices to be heard instead of ramming this thing through. Chuck Schumer has said all options are on the table. I'm not sure what the answer is at this point, but since folks have already started to vote and given how close we are to the election, I think we should let the American people CONTINUE to decide who gets to make this enormous decision."

Trump would have shouted over Biden 2112 times before he could get a statement like that out, as well written and thought out as it is.

Unfortunately trump proved there is an element in our culture that is open to aggressive and false attacks. It doesn’t have to be “that horrible lady.” Now it’s that “**.”

** too divisive to be posted on this forum.