Options

Riots/Looting/Violence and general post-George Floyd madness

Comments

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    Can we just give Tejas to Mexico in exchange for them building the wall?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/protests-violence/2020/08/27/3f232e66-e578-11ea-970a-64c73a1c2392_story.html

”Peaceful protests.”
    Everyday I feel more and more like we need another civil war and this time the winning side needs to be ruthless in establishing dominance 

Ummm, no thanks.
    Yeah. I’m more for way higher voter turnout so these jag-offs go back under their rocks. 
    Voter turnout stops Trump.  Not the larger issues of racism  and property over people.
    That’s the long haul. Preserving a liberal democracy with a diverse population is going to take 20-30 years of work. 
    Do you think we have 20-30 years of bi monthly slayings of black males by the state continues? If we keep slashing taxes for the wealthy and nothing trickles down? If the fed allows inflation to grow while wages are stagnant as we continue to measure the health of the economy by the stock market?  I’m not that optimistic.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    And so everyone knows my original comment was a hot take half in jest.   But seriously how do you get rid of people like that and those attitudes.  I know our friend Halifax only posts the best articles about the best people but cmon. Tyler isn’t far from me.  That said there isn’t a state I’ve lived or worked in the USA that isn’t full of people like those from the article that Halifax posted.  We need some real
    wxtreme legislating to fix things because I just don’t see it not ending in a fiery mess if we kick the van down the road waiting for a perfect movement with perfect leaders.  With protests devoid of any violence.  And if the Kid in Kenosha gets off look out because that is going to set a precedent we will never come back from.  Some people are already worshipping that kid.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,688
    static111 said:
    And so everyone knows my original comment was a hot take half in jest.   But seriously how do you get rid of people like that and those attitudes.  I know our friend Halifax only posts the best articles about the best people but cmon. Tyler isn’t far from me.  That said there isn’t a state I’ve lived or worked in the USA that isn’t full of people like those from the article that Halifax posted.  We need some real
    wxtreme legislating to fix things because I just don’t see it not ending in a fiery mess if we kick the van down the road waiting for a perfect movement with perfect leaders.  With protests devoid of any violence.  And if the Kid in Kenosha gets off look out because that is going to set a precedent we will never come back from.  Some people are already worshipping that kid.
    It’s not that hard to figure out, it’s the gun culture that the NRA, with the complicity of “responsible” gun owners, created and allowed this environment to come to fruition. That and “compromise” is a dirty word and it’s all or nothing. You know who’s sitting back in Moscow watching with glee? Putin on the ritz, Derispaska and Maria Butina. Moscow Mitchy Baby and Wayne LaPU should join them.

Yes, racists exist everywhere but if I join a BLM march or protest or go to the state house to protest, I don’t have to worry about a bunch of thug pussies surrounding me and trying to intimidate me with their penis extensions because they can’t come up with an alternative policy or think that their 2A and freedom of speech and religion are under assault.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,776
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/protests-violence/2020/08/27/3f232e66-e578-11ea-970a-64c73a1c2392_story.html

”Peaceful protests.”
    Everyday I feel more and more like we need another civil war and this time the winning side needs to be ruthless in establishing dominance 

Ummm, no thanks.
    Yeah. I’m more for way higher voter turnout so these jag-offs go back under their rocks. 
    Voter turnout stops Trump.  Not the larger issues of racism  and property over people.
    That’s the long haul. Preserving a liberal democracy with a diverse population is going to take 20-30 years of work. 
    Do you think we have 20-30 years of bi monthly slayings of black males by the state continues? If we keep slashing taxes for the wealthy and nothing trickles down? If the fed allows inflation to grow while wages are stagnant as we continue to measure the health of the economy by the stock market?  I’m not that optimistic.  

I think the key to G.B.'s statement is work.  Optimism has far less to do with making good changes than does hard work.  I keep coming back to that theme:  hard work

I'm not a fan of it but, yes, burning down businesses and building will get attention to the problem.  But what is going to lead to change is smart thinking, good, competent leadership and hard work.  We are not going to accomplish positive change unless more people do (and support with their dollars) the work.

And I don't mean just clicking on an on-line petition.  That is not work.  I'm talking about attending meetings, participating at least at the city, county, and state level.  Organizing gatherings to promote awareness.  Hand writing and personally calling representatives.  Tithing your income to environmental and social organizations.  Cleaning garbage off of beaches and planting trees.  Educating one's self and passing along reliable information on to others.  Being courteous to your fellow humans and standing up for all animals.

Let's see who is up for that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

I think the key to G.B.'s statement is work.  Optimism has far less to do with making good changes than does hard work.  I keep coming back to that theme:  hard work

I'm not a fan of it but, yes, burning down businesses and building will get attention to the problem.  But what is going to lead to change is smart thinking, good, competent leadership and hard work.  We are not going to accomplish positive change unless more people do (and support with their dollars) the work.

And I don't mean just clicking on an on-line petition.  That is not work.  I'm talking about attending meetings, participating at least at the city, county, and state level.  Organizing gatherings to promote awareness.  Hand writing and personally calling representatives.  Tithing your income to environmental and social organizations.  Cleaning garbage off of beaches and planting trees.  Educating one's self and passing along reliable information on to others.  Being courteous to your fellow humans and standing up for all animals.

As someone who’s been doing all
    of those things for decades, I haven’t really seen the fruits of this labor, and I’ve crossed the threshold from faith to fatigue. 

I’d rather just move to one of the dozens of countries that have better healthcare, education, sustainability, etc., because I honestly don’t think the US nor it’s citizens are worth it. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

of those things for decades, I haven’t really seen the fruits of this labor, and I’ve crossed the threshold from faith to fatigue. 

I’d rather just move to one of the dozens of countries that have better healthcare, education, sustainability, etc., because I honestly don’t think the US nor it’s citizens are worth it. 
    I'm with you on this.
    My significant other and I have been researching where we might retire for good and we keep coming back to NW Spain. If the wrong person gets elected in November we might just pull the trigger in December.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,121
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

Have you looked into moving to one of these countries? Wondering the process for being a recipient of the heath care works for people that move there.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,875
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

Have you looked into moving to one of these countries? Wondering the process for being a recipient of the heath care works for people that move there.
    For Canada I think the hardest part is to become a citizen. Once a citizen depending on the province you reside in health care should be available to you either right away or a maximum of 90 days. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,325
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

I'm with you on this.
    My significant other and I have been researching where we might retire for good and we keep coming back to NW Spain. If the wrong person gets elected in November we might just pull the trigger in December.
    I’m with both of you just last night my wife said he gets elected she wants out of here good thing for us we have family down in Chile waiting with open arms!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJNB said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

For Canada I think the hardest part is to become a citizen. Once a citizen depending on the province you reside in health care should be available to you either right away or a maximum of 90 days. 
    I don't think you need to be a citizen to get health care here in Alberta. My brother in-law who is an American has a healthcare number and he isn't a citizen. Maybe just a permanent resident? I will have to ask him because I'm curious now.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

My family is doing that in Austin.  Our efforts combined with the community at large has led the city to reallocate $100 million of police budget dollars to community issues.   But there are still ways for the cops to access that money and of course there is a huge smear campaign going on that we are all radical communists or something and that the police won’t be able to function etc.  and the work still isn’t stopping.   How long realistically is the work supposed to last.  It’s been 155 years since the civil war ended. 70 years since schools began integration and only roughly 55 years since African Americans were guaranteed to have their vote protected.  I realize that there is more than protests and online clicks. The real question for me isn’t if we can do the hard work it’s if we can do the hard work long enough to achieve real structural change before more of the same state based violence gives way to chaos that makes the last few months look like a stroll through candy land.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,843
    dignin said:
    PJNB said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

I don't think you need to be a citizen to get health care here in Alberta. My brother in-law who is an American has a healthcare number and he isn't a citizen. Maybe just a permanent resident? I will have to ask him because I'm curious now.

You are correct that if you are a PR you have can live in Canada indefinitely and enjoy almost all the benefits, including health care. You don't get a Canadian passport and you can't vote or hold elected office, but that's about it for differences. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

I have done everything I wrote about there as well, dankind, and I applaud your efforts.  I would be a fool to mention them if I had not. 

The problem boils down to not enough people doing all of these things.  Like I said, yes, rioting and violence bring attention to an issue.  But, as dangerous as it is, burning down a car dealership is far easier than doing the hard work required to create change.  If we have a generation of people content to burn and break shit but not willing to do the hard work you and I have done, we are fucked.  We need more people doing the work.  At this late stage in my life, I am mostly tempted to say "put up or shut up".  We need more people getting involved, not just writing stuff on social media, but actually doing the work.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dignin said:
    PJNB said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

You are correct that if you are a PR you have can live in Canada indefinitely and enjoy almost all the benefits, including health care. You don't get a Canadian passport and you can't vote or hold elected office, but that's about it for differences. 
    Make sense I would guess since you are paying into the system. I honestly do not know much about it and did not even know a PR was different than a citizen. How hard is it to get a PR for someone that just wants to move from the US to Canada I wonder.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

My family is doing that in Austin.  Our efforts combined with the community at large has led the city to reallocate $100 million of police budget dollars to community issues.   But there are still ways for the cops to access that money and of course there is a huge smear campaign going on that we are all radical communists or something and that the police won’t be able to function etc.  and the work still isn’t stopping.   How long realistically is the work supposed to last.  It’s been 155 years since the civil war ended. 70 years since schools began integration and only roughly 55 years since African Americans were guaranteed to have their vote protected.  I realize that there is more than protests and online clicks. The real question for me isn’t if we can do the hard work it’s if we can do the hard work long enough to achieve real structural change before more of the same state based violence gives way to chaos that makes the last few months look like a stroll through candy land.

My answer to your question is couched in my reply above to dankind and what I've said elsewhere:  it involves determination, smart thinking, good leadership, and a greater number of people doing the hard work.  These days, we are lacking in most if not all of that.  Too few us us are willing to dig in and do the work.  And some of us are just plain worn out shouldering the burden.  I've heard this from others of my generation- both the warriors and peacemakers.  We are tired and we have not had enough support.  Posting shit on social media and clicking on-line petitions isn't cutting it. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

My answer to your question is couched in my reply above to dankind and what I've said elsewhere:  it involves determination, smart thinking, good leadership, and a greater number of people doing the hard work.  These days, we are lacking in most if not all of that.  Too few us us are willing to dig in and do the work.  And some of us are just plain worn out shouldering the burden.  I've heard this from others of my generation- both the warriors and peacemakers.  We are tired and we have not had enough support.  Posting shit on social media and clicking on-line petitions isn't cutting it. 
    Agreed about click petitions and social media Bri.  Also agreed about the hard work having to be put in.  Since this has been happening for long before I was born and we still have so far to go I question if we can get there before it is to late.   We’ve had over 50 years to make the gradual changes since Civil Rights began being seen as a serious issue.  I really believe that we need to accelerate the timeline or it will kill The USA.

And to tag onto the original article that Halifax posted last night that really sent me into the doom and gloom.  No amount of city council meetings and legislation is going to stop the attitudes of grown men who would punch 60 year old women In the stomach and justify it by claiming democrats are evil while they shout all lives matter.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,121
    PJNB said:
    dignin said:
    PJNB said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

Make sense I would guess since you are paying into the system. I honestly do not know much about it and did not even know a PR was different than a citizen. How hard is it to get a PR for someone that just wants to move from the US to Canada I wonder.
    Thanks to all for sharing what you know. Always was interested in it for different countries. Guess I could just google it, but this is a more fun way to learn. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

Agreed about click petitions and social media Bri.  Also agreed about the hard work having to be put in.  Since this has been happening for long before I was born and we still have so far to go I question if we can get there before it is to late.   We’ve had over 50 years to make the gradual changes since Civil Rights began being seen as a serious issue.  I really believe that we need to accelerate the timeline or it will kill The USA.

And to tag onto the original article that Halifax posted last night that really sent me into the doom and gloom.  No amount of city council meetings and legislation is going to stop the attitudes of grown men who would punch 60 year old women In the stomach and justify it by claiming democrats are evil while they shout all lives matter.
    I believe you are right, 111, and that's sad because we we're making good progress at times during these last 50 years.  I truly hope we start moving fast in the right direction, but it is hard to hold out hope.  Yest still, I try to remain hopeful.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

I believe you are right, 111, and that's sad because we we're making good progress at times during these last 50 years.  I truly hope we start moving fast in the right direction, but it is hard to hold out hope.  Yest still, I try to remain hopeful.

I agree Brian. I guess its hardest to hold on to the hope when it seems like it is the most hopeless.  Can't get stuck in the dark too long, because there is still work to do!
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

”Peaceful protests.”

Ummm, no thanks.

I agree Brian. I guess its hardest to hold on to the hope when it seems like it is the most hopeless.  Can't get stuck in the dark too long, because there is still work to do!

Right on!

• Options
    https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/riot-data-court-documents-describe-assaults-spd-officers-listing-suspects-by-race-hometown/UMJWXPDGRVFGNKBNUDGSIAPJQM/
    That’s the problem with these protest they get infiltrated by paid instigators of violence why else would they do this? And the protest should of just been at open air parks don’t march by store fronts or downtown! They should just find areas where they can just stay and have speeches, otherwise this will never stop.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,688
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Throwing down with some females. What a patriot!
    https://youtu.be/fK1zIz3FrKs
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    What a little shit. How did he not get his ass beat to an inch of his life here. 

Edit: found another vid
    https://youtu.be/T_XzYnN3Fac
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7kpj4b/alleged-kenosha-killer-loved-cops-guns-trump-and-triggering-the-libs-classmates-say

How many of these kids are being brainwashed with this shit right now? Trump as president will have negative lasting effects for decades.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,505
    Fuck me.
    Trump to travel to Kenosha, Wisconsin, on Tuesday
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/politics/trump-kenosha-wisconsin/index.html
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,480
    PJNB said:
    What a little shit. How did he not get his ass beat to an inch of his life here. 

Edit: found another vid
    https://youtu.be/T_XzYnN3Fac
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/iiytur/kyle_rittenhouse_getting_jumped_after_punching_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Looks like some vigilante justice. How ironic. 
  • Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/us/portland-protest-fatal-shooting/index.html

Another killing last night. Appears to be a Trump supporter this time. Not much on details yet but this is going to get crazy fast if this keeps up. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/us/portland-protest-fatal-shooting/index.html

Another killing last night. Appears to be a Trump supporter this time. Not much on details yet but this is going to get crazy fast if this keeps up. 
    It surely will the lines have been drawn and blood has been spilled! 
This discussion has been closed.