Options

Seattle Has Fallen...

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    ^ Solid statement. I agree with everything he said. 
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    As someone who has generally supported its existence, I've cooled on it. It is a fine place while the sun is shining, but at night it has turned a bit of a shit show, unfortunately. There are 3 reasons why my support for CHAZ/CHOP has waned: 1) Lawlessness and assholes come out of the woodwork at night; 2) Confused and mixed messages, lack of clarity, multiple "leaders" and no leadership, inability to communicate a message in a coherent way, inability to unify and stick to agreements or negotiate responsibly; 3) the people in the autonomous zone have alienated all of the actual BLM and African American organizations who have existed and have been working with the city. So CHAZ/CHOP doesn't really represent the movement they purport to as far as I can tell. It looks like mostly white punks with some brown and black sprinkled in co-opting the BLM movement to me. There are some African Americans there, but it is a pretty white bunch of folks on the whole. I'm all for counter-culture, but I think they're really pushing it now. The neighborhoods around the area were generally supportive initially but now are done with them. I know a few people who live right there, and they've had it. Noise, partying and stupidity from sundown to sun-up. People are afraid to walk in their neighborhoods after dark. They had just negotiated re-opening a lane of traffic on a  thoroughfare for cars and emergency services. The Fire Chief had worked with the group to negotiate that, but 1 day later, other elements or new "leaders" decided from 10pm - 6pm they would block the street. So that group doesn't have any ability to negotiate or agree on anything, even among themselves. 

To give you an idea of the shit heads that are keeping watch at CHOP, here is some raw video footage from Brandi Kruse, a local TV reporter. Brandi is one of the more intelligent reporters in Seattle, and is one of the least biased I've seen. She does a show called The Divide where she attempts to have differing viewpoints come together to find common ground. She'll bash left and right stupidity when it is warranted. Unfortunately, the station she works at was purchased this past year by Fox Network, but her time here pre-dates her Fox affiliation. Anyway, here is a link to some raw footage where she was mobbed and nearly assaulted by those assholes. So instead of having a shred of intellect, and attempting to get their message across through a news reporter, they harass and nearly assault her and her crew. BTW, her body guard in the green hoodie is the same guy who disarmed 2 of the shit-stirrers downtown a couple of weeks ago during the riots after the idiots stole AR-15s from cop cars. He's a bad-ass ex-Marine who could twist their pencil necks and snap them in two. Here's the footage. If the word fuck offends, you may want to pass, as that's probably heard >300 times in the 15 minute video. I highly recommend people watch this to get a picture of life after dark in CHOP:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=600727890649078

So at this point I stand with BLM, I support black leadership in the city, and stand against CHOP. They lost my support, the support of a lot of the neighborhood, the support of many established community organizers, and they're rapidly losing support of others who would normally align with their ideals but for their idiocy.  I know I supported CHAZ/CHOP initially, but they've demonstrated a remarkable inability to accomplish anything at all except chaos and confusion. If they get their shit together, I could see changing my mind about them yet again but for now I consider this a failed social experiment. BTW, yesterday the real AA community advocate organizations were able to get the Seattle Police Officers Guild kicked out of the King County Labor Council. The labor council is a group of various unions (about 150 of them) representing ~100k workers in Seattle. They have no desire to be associated with SPOG going forward. So they are still making change and accomplishing things. Can't say the same for CHOP. Sorry for the 180 on this one but it has become stupid. Anarchy is not practicable. At least not for people with limited intellectual ability as CHOP is currently demonstrating.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,184
    jeffbr said:
    As someone who has generally supported its existence, I've cooled on it. It is a fine place while the sun is shining, but at night it has turned a bit of a shit show, unfortunately. There are 3 reasons why my support for CHAZ/CHOP has waned: 1) Lawlessness and assholes come out of the woodwork at night; 2) Confused and mixed messages, lack of clarity, multiple "leaders" and no leadership, inability to communicate a message in a coherent way, inability to unify and stick to agreements or negotiate responsibly; 3) the people in the autonomous zone have alienated all of the actual BLM and African American organizations who have existed and have been working with the city. So CHAZ/CHOP doesn't really represent the movement they purport to as far as I can tell. It looks like mostly white punks with some brown and black sprinkled in co-opting the BLM movement to me. There are some African Americans there, but it is a pretty white bunch of folks on the whole. I'm all for counter-culture, but I think they're really pushing it now. The neighborhoods around the area were generally supportive initially but now are done with them. I know a few people who live right there, and they've had it. Noise, partying and stupidity from sundown to sun-up. People are afraid to walk in their neighborhoods after dark. They had just negotiated re-opening a lane of traffic on a  thoroughfare for cars and emergency services. The Fire Chief had worked with the group to negotiate that, but 1 day later, other elements or new "leaders" decided from 10pm - 6pm they would block the street. So that group doesn't have any ability to negotiate or agree on anything, even among themselves. 

To give you an idea of the shit heads that are keeping watch at CHOP, here is some raw video footage from Brandi Kruse, a local TV reporter. Brandi is one of the more intelligent reporters in Seattle, and is one of the least biased I've seen. She does a show called The Divide where she attempts to have differing viewpoints come together to find common ground. She'll bash left and right stupidity when it is warranted. Unfortunately, the station she works at was purchased this past year by Fox Network, but her time here pre-dates her Fox affiliation. Anyway, here is a link to some raw footage where she was mobbed and nearly assaulted by those assholes. So instead of having a shred of intellect, and attempting to get their message across through a news reporter, they harass and nearly assault her and her crew. BTW, her body guard in the green hoodie is the same guy who disarmed 2 of the shit-stirrers downtown a couple of weeks ago during the riots after the idiots stole AR-15s from cop cars. He's a bad-ass ex-Marine who could twist their pencil necks and snap them in two. Here's the footage. If the word fuck offends, you may want to pass, as that's probably heard >300 times in the 15 minute video. I highly recommend people watch this to get a picture of life after dark in CHOP:

So at this point I stand with BLM, I support black leadership in the city, and stand against CHOP. They lost my support, the support of a lot of the neighborhood, the support of many established community organizers, and they're rapidly losing support of others who would normally align with their ideals but for their idiocy.  I know I supported CHAZ/CHOP initially, but they've demonstrated a remarkable inability to accomplish anything at all except chaos and confusion. If they get their shit together, I could see changing my mind about them yet again but for now I consider this a failed social experiment. BTW, yesterday the real AA community advocate organizations were able to get the Seattle Police Officers Guild kicked out of the King County Labor Council. The labor council is a group of various unions (about 150 of them) representing ~100k workers in Seattle. They have no desire to be associated with SPOG going forward. So they are still making change and accomplishing things. Can't say the same for CHOP. Sorry for the 180 on this one but it has become stupid. Anarchy is not practicable. At least not for people with limited intellectual ability as CHOP is currently demonstrating.
    Good insight from someone close to the situation. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,712
    jeffbr said:

Thank you fir the insight. Unfortunately I always had a strong feeling that humans aren’t civilized enough fir something like this. There will always be bad people To ruin positive situations. My only hope is that this ends in a peaceful way. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Thanks here also, Jeff, for close at hand insights. 

I'm sorry to see this thing breaking down so quickly.  Ideally, I'd like to think people can get together and work for a common cause.  My parent's G.I. generation were really good at doing that sort of thing.  My own boomer generation were sometimes good at uniting for a cause- sometime not at all.  I guess that ability is slowly being weakened in our DNA or something. 

I hope some day a new generation wise arise from the ashes and do marvelous things once again.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    jeffbr said:

Great perspective. And that video is what I figured CHOP is like at night, but it’s probably worse than that out of the view of cameras. I’ll definitely follow that reporter on Facebook to keep up on the various whathaveyous of the Nation of CHOP. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ^ Thanks for sharing the insight of what is really taking place there. Sadly, it seemed like a predictable outcome from the onset. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    Has The Walking Dead taught us nothing? Of course we aren’t civilized enough.
  • Options
    If you're on Twitter, I think @chaseburnsy and @richssmith are a couple of good follows. They are there and provide good insight. They are both associated with The Stranger, the alternative weekly newspaper in Seattle.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I'm sorry to see this thing breaking down so quickly.  Ideally, I'd like to think people can get together and work for a common cause.  My parent's G.I. generation were really good at doing that sort of thing.  My own boomer generation were sometimes good at uniting for a cause- sometime not at all.  I guess that ability is slowly being weakened in our DNA or something. 

I hope some day a new generation wise arise from the ashes and do marvelous things once again.
    Me, too. I guess that's why I was so supportive of CHAZ from the start. My optimism and hope is that the younger generation can unite and affect change. I think some change for the better is still to come from this event and this moment, but not from CHOP specifically, unfortunately. I hope to be proven wrong, and am fully able to accept being wrong and having my mind changed. I may be old, but not stuck in my ways.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:

Me, too. I guess that's why I was so supportive of CHAZ from the start. My optimism and hope is that the younger generation can unite and affect change. I think some change for the better is still to come from this event and this moment, but not from CHOP specifically, unfortunately. I hope to be proven wrong, and am fully able to accept being wrong and having my mind changed. I may be old, but not stuck in my ways.
    The dream of CHOP is commendable, just not practical...at all. I don’t even think you should be down on this generation. There’s probably way more normal, peaceful protesters that really think they’re making a difference than they’re are anarchists. But every generation is going to have it’s maniacs that want to cause chaos. “Some men just want to watch the world burn, Mr. Wayne.” So let’s create a haven for them to flock to. I’ve had a bad feeling about the whole thing from the start. Anything can happen. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Man, I couldn’t even watch it all.

So ugly.

So fucking ugly. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2020
    Looks like a straight up utopian paradise /s. 
    It’s not the news making that group of ignorant deplorable asshats (the group mobbing up on the reporter) look bad, they are doing it all by themselves.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    jeffbr said:

Should be noted that the video Brandi Kruse posted was before CHOP and the day the police left.

But it won't last much longer, it crazy how much attention it has garnered.  Eventually it will fizzle.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Smellyman said:
    jeffbr said:

Should be noted that the video Brandi Kruse posted was before CHOP and the day the police left.

But it won't last much longer, it crazy how much attention it has garnered.  Eventually it will fizzle.
    Sadly, it looks like it.  Maybe it will be a false start-model to be improved on by a better organized effort.  If a group of smart, dedicated  people that also know how to be creative and have a good time (some of the time, anyway) got it together, maybe something like this could yield something good.  And we all dig Yield, right?!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I guess Portland stuff can go in this thread too since it's a similar situation. Here's the toppling of a George Washington statue last night, along with burning the flag on top of it.

Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I guess Portland stuff can go in this thread too since it's a similar situation. Here's the toppling of a George Washington statue last night, along with burning the flag on top of it.

Yikes, I did read that the Portland mayor is not near as supportive of a “CHOP” or whatever it’s being called today.  I’m just waiting for a push to change the name of Washington state, ha. 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Yikes, I did read that the Portland mayor is not near as supportive of a “CHOP” or whatever it’s being called today.  I’m just waiting for a push to change the name of Washington state, ha. 
    It looks like once protesters showed up at his home (because he didn't cut enough of the police's budget to their liking), that's when he began speaking out against this sort of thing...

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/protests/pearl-district-protest-cleared-by-police-declared-an-unlawful-assembly/283-7b54a736-b5b7-4607-8ad7-92bdc5b0b5cc

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I honestly feel terrible for the BLM movement as a whole.  It is getting hijacked by some real dipshits doing dipshit things.  What I’ve read about George Floyd, he would be rolling in his grave if he knew of some of the stupidity happening in his name...
  • Options
    Daytime footage of the toppled Washington statue....

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Classy...I guess Lincoln is next?  He didn’t do any favors for the Native Americans with the Homestead Act, forcing them off their territories and onto reservations...:
    https://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/homestead-act

• Options
    Once all the statues are down our currency will need to be changed next.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    PJPOWER said:

I guess Lincoln is next?  He didn’t do any favors for the Native Americans with the Homestead Act, forcing them off their territories and onto reservations...:

Probably. He did say this in a 1858 debate against Stephen Douglas.....

“I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races … I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

They'll probably replace the Lincoln Memorial with the George Floyd Memorial sometime during Biden's presidency. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    PJPOWER said:

I guess Lincoln is next?  He didn’t do any favors for the Native Americans with the Homestead Act, forcing them off their territories and onto reservations...:

Probably. He did say this in a 1858 debate against Stephen Douglas.....

“I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races … I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

They'll probably replace the Lincoln Memorial with the George Floyd Memorial sometime during Biden's presidency. 
    Most likely, it was all “white politics” for Lincoln.  He didn’t even declare black slaves free in Union held states for fear of losing their support until he was pushed hard to do so.  Lincoln was just another politician...
    Frederick Douglas was the real “hero” of the times.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,977

I hope they start burning their money too.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Will Sacagewea be spared?  She did cooperate w the white man.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    I actually saw someone on Twitter the other day questioning if FDR should still be on the dime, because of the WW2 internment camps.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    bbiggs said:
    I actually saw someone on Twitter the other day questioning if FDR should still be on the dime, because of the WW2 internment camps.

That was certainly a low point in American history
  • Options
    I'm telling you folks, currency will be next.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    I'm telling you folks, currency will be next.
    Is this when we turn to "credit only" and fuck ourselves and the powers that be are happy that no more currency exists?