Global Gigaton Listening Experience - Apple TV x Dolby Atmos

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    poison said:
    Are the visuals any different than what we have already seen on YouTube? 

I don't think so.  I only watched the youtube videos once, but they look the same.  Superblood wolfmoon is the animated music video.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    edited April 2020
    igotid88 said:
    Damn. Now I'm gonna need an Apple TV subscription?
    Wouldn’t worry too much about it.  Its a well done album length music video but if you weren’t planning to spend the money, don’t do it for this.   It’s well done.  And very cool.  But I’m sure you’ll see it elsewhere in time.  Just listen the the album and watch a cool video and you’ll be fine.  

If you were planning to get Apple TV anyway, then yeah, this is cool.  But don’t make this out to be more than it is. 

Edit - I should caveat.  If you have the set up to take advantage of the sound then it is a cool extra.  I assume most people don’t.  And even then not sure it’s worth. Would have been cool to see in the theater to really take advantage of the intended experience. 
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    igotid88 said:
    Wouldn’t worry too much about it.  Its a well done album length music video but if you weren’t planning to spend the money, don’t do it for this.   It’s well done.  And very cool.  But I’m sure you’ll see it elsewhere in time.  Just listen the the album and watch a cool video and you’ll be fine.  

If you were planning to get Apple TV anyway, then yeah, this is cool.  But don’t make this out to be more than it is. 

Edit - I should caveat.  If you have the set up to take advantage of the sound then it is a cool extra.  I assume most people don’t.  And even then not sure it’s worth. Would have been cool to see in the theater to really take advantage of the intended experience. 

You don't really have to pay for it.  It's free for the first 7 days.   I'm going to watch this, and the beastie boys doc and cancel it.
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Posts: 810
    Zod said:
    igotid88 said:

You don't really have to pay for it.  It's free for the first 7 days.   I'm going to watch this, and the beastie boys doc and cancel it.
    Exactly what I did.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    Contributor & Patron - liveon4legs.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10 | 2024: Vegas 5/16-&-18, Indy? Wrigley 2?

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,478
    My son just watched the whole thing with me. He was so transfixed by the visuals I don’t think he realised that I was brainwashing him into the world of PJ! 

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • PearlJamFanLVPearlJamFanLV Posts: 43
    edited April 2020
    I was able to watch it on my Fire stick on this TV. But could only get Dolby Digital Surround, not true Atmos. I have Ia 9.1 Atmos setup, 5 floor with 4 in the ceiling. I also have a fire stick 4K in my bedroom, I assume I need that instead?? 
    Post edited by PearlJamFanLV on
  • Zod said:
    igotid88 said:

Cool.  Except that did cost you.  It’s an opportunity cost.   There may be something better you’d have been better off using that for at some point.  To each their own. Enjoy!
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    Zod said:
    igotid88 said:

Cool.  Except that did cost you.  It’s an opportunity cost.   There may be something better you’d have been better off using that for at some point.  To each their own. Enjoy!

haha I accept your argument of opportunity cost.  I wonder what show I'll miss out on the future.

In regards to now, I've been drawn in to For All Mankind.
  • Gigaton is coming out as a BluRay in Dolby Atmos and 5.1 Surround Sound.  
    Has this been officially confirmed?
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 675
    I’m having the worst luck trying to get this to play on my tv.  3 fire sticks and apparently none of them can get the Apple TV app.  An LG OLED smart tv that supports Atmos and it won’t get the app until later this year.  An actual old school Apple  TV 2nd generation that can’t get the Apple TV app because for whatever reason only gen 3 and up can get it (WTF Apple).  And the Apple TV app won’t let me mirror from the iPad even though I can mirror everything else.  I’m usually pretty tech savvy but this one is torturing me.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524

bootleg said:
    I’m having the worst luck trying to get this to play on my tv.  3 fire sticks and apparently none of them can get the Apple TV app.  An LG OLED smart tv that supports Atmos and it won’t get the app until later this year.  An actual old school Apple  TV 2nd generation that can’t get the Apple TV app because for whatever reason only gen 3 and up can get it (WTF Apple).  And the Apple TV app won’t let me mirror from the iPad even though I can mirror everything else.  I’m usually pretty tech savvy but this one is torturing me.

Apple isn't tech.  It's a sheep milking company
    bootleg said:

The thing I find challenging about the firestick is finding a specific app.  It seems to lack a search function.  On the other hand you can go to the amazon website, search for the app, and buy it for zero dollar and tell it to install to your firestick.  That's the easy way :)
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,311
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    Ya'll can bag on Apple all you want, last night I watched and listened to this record in Atmos on headphones and the show in Dolby Vision and it blew my mind. There were so many elements of this record not clearly represented on just the physical album. If you have the ability to hear it in Atmos on headphones, you will be destroyed. Trust me.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Ya'll can bag on Apple all you want, last night I watched and listened to this record in Atmos on headphones and the show in Dolby Vision and it blew my mind. There were so many elements of this record not clearly represented on just the physical album. If you have the ability to hear it in Atmos on headphones, you will be destroyed. Trust me.

Apple has nothing to do with the Atmos production.
    Tonight's the last night to watch Pearl Jam's Gigaton - Visual Album Experience free on AppleTV.

• mr_perfectmr_perfect Posts: 154
    demetrios said:
    Tonight's the last night to watch Pearl Jam's Gigaton - Visual Album Experience free on AppleTV.

i have an odd feeling they will release this on disc so ill wait a little before formally buying this version...
  • SK20613SK20613 Posts: 106
    edited April 2020
    I wasn't super impressed with the surround sound, didn't seem like much from the rears. Also wished the video was 4k.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    edited May 2020
    demetrios said:

i have an odd feeling they will release this on disc so ill wait a little before formally buying this version...
    Have they said that it'll be available to rent / buy after the free viewing period ends? 
    SHZA said:
    demetrios said:

Have they said that it'll be available to rent / buy after the free viewing period ends? 

It will be surely available elsewhere after they get off the 'exclusive' Crapple promotion.
    edited May 2020
  • mr_perfectmr_perfect Posts: 154
    SK20613 said:
    I wasn't super impressed with the surround sound, didn't seem like much from the rears. Also wished the video was 4k.
    i 100% disagree with your statement. my atmos setup (7.1.2) goes ape shit with the rears.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,782
    SHZA said:
    demetrios said:

Yes
     https://apple.co/3d8EsuT
    I miss igotid88
  • i got idi got id Posts: 867
    Purchased!
  • BR2428BR2428 Posts: 129
    SK20613 said:
    i 100% disagree with your statement. my atmos setup (7.1.2) goes ape shit with the rears.
    My crappy old 5.1 home theater in a box setup produced awesome sounds all around. I wasn’t expecting much out of this, but I was pretty impressed. I can only imagine what this sounded like on a proper atmos setup. 
  • SK20613 said:
    @mr_perfect curious what setup you have. I'm looking to upgrade from an almost non-existent audio setup into a decent one that would last for some years. I was wondering if it's worth it to get an Atmos setup vs something like Sonos 5.1.
    Any other online store selling this or exclusive on sale @ the iTunes store?
    edited May 2020
    The iTunes download is 2.31GB's. 1080p with Dolby Digital 5.1.

Post edited by demetrios on
  • Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 591
    Quick question im running an optical audio cable out of a smart tv into my old reciever that doesn’t support atmos; should i hook up the Apple tv to reciever instead or run it out of the app on smart tv? Thank you for any information 
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008