Global Gigaton Listening Experience - Apple TV x Dolby Atmos

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,314
    edited April 2020

Pearl Jam’s ‘Visual Gigaton Experience’ Coming to Apple TV

4K “immersive visual album” will be free for seven days to anyone that has Apple TV or the Apple TV app

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pearl-jams-visual-gigaton-experience-coming-apple-tv-988765/

Pearl Jam may not have been able to tour in support of their new LP Gigaton, but fans will have a novel way to experience the music on Friday when they release the Gigaton Visual Experience to anyone with Apple TV or the Apple TV app.

According to a press release, it will “bring the album alive through immersive audio and ultra-vivid picture quality.” (In other words, it’s an album-length music video in 4K picture.) It will be be free for seven days before being available to purchase or rent.

“I’m excited for fans to be able to immerse themselves in the sound and to hear the depth and layers of these songs and performances” Gigaton producer Josh Evans said in a statement. “It’s truly a unique way to experience this album.”

The band originally planned on rolling out the Gigaton Visual Experience in movie theaters when the album arrived, but that was not possible after the coronavirus hit. Releasing it online is one of many last-minute changes they’ve had to make recently, including the indefinite postponement of their special SirusXM show at New York’s Apollo Theater and their North American arena tour. They were one of the first major bands to postpone an entire tour due to the coronavirus.

“We’ve worked hard with all our management and business associates to find other solutions or options but the levels of risk to our audience and their communities is simply too high for our comfort level,” they wrote in a statement. “Having no examples of our national health department’s ability to get ahead of this, we have no reason to believe that it will be under control in the coming weeks ahead.”

They also postponed their European summer tour, but they still are technically booked to play Asbury Park’s Sea.Hear.Now festival in September and Dana Point, California’s Ohana festival that same month. Nothing is certain, but it seems quite possible both of those events will ultimately have to be postponed as well.

Eddie Vedder did play the new Gigaton song “River Cross” at the One World: Together at Home concert special earlier this week. It’s one of the few songs from the album to be played live in any capacity.

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,555
    So Global...but only if you have Apple TV.
  • SK20613SK20613 Posts: 106

The Apple TV app is already on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and Apple TV — just open the app to start streaming.

Here, too. You’ll also find the Apple TV app on streaming platforms, popular smart TVs, and AirPlay‑enabled TVs.

I have an Apple TV 4K, cause it's the best streaming device and itunes has the best discounts on movies and tv shows; but there are a lot of TV's that you can install the Apple TV app on including Amazon Fire TV, Roku TV's and devices, and Samsung TVs.

Then you only need a free itunes account.

Doesn't sound like you need Apple TV+, the paid streaming service.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,711
    Sweet, we can buy it? Done.

• chittychitty Posts: 609
    edited April 2020
    Pardon my ignorance on technical info. Can anyone help answer this?

I have an Iphone, but not a tv with Apple TV. Is there a way to play this on my phone, but put it onto my tv?
    PS. Loving Gigaton so this would be a Friday night treat, but I don't want to watch on my tiny phone screen
  • jefftjefft Posts: 657
    chitty said:

I have an Iphone, but not a tv with Apple TV. Is there a way to play this on my phone, but put it onto my tv?
    PS. Loving Gigaton so this would be a Friday night treat, but I don't want to watch on my tiny phone screen
    Go to your settings on your tv and see if you can screen mirror.   turn on screen mirroring on your phone and pair them. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,784
    edited April 2020
    So if I go to tv.apple.com will it work there? I did the free trial 
    I miss igotid88
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    I have a 4k tv and an apple tv 4k...but I don't have a dolby atmos setup (not sure many people do)...so pretty cool they are releasing this but not too many people are going to get the full experience
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • chittychitty Posts: 609
    jefft said:
    chitty said:

Go to your settings on your tv and see if you can screen mirror.   turn on screen mirroring on your phone and pair them. 

Thank you, I will try that tonight as a test
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,162
    Sorry, I was responding to The Juggler.

How can they do live stream performance if they are all seperate?
    Maybe ask The Rolling Stones?

...or maybe perform while staying at least 6 feet away from each other...
    Like on a stage or something!? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    mcrok said:
    I have a 4k tv and an apple tv 4k...but I don't have a dolby atmos setup (not sure many people do)...so pretty cool they are releasing this but not too many people are going to get the full experience
    This is where I am. I even looked at a couple of new receivers with Dolby Atmos prior to the lockdowns but at this point still have the old receiver. So we'll receive the 4k video, but the sound will only be as good as the system we're playing it through. So the whole "immersive" experience with the Atmos sound processing will not be part of it. We're basically just watching a high def stream.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08

Apple is giving away Pearl Jam's latest music video in Dolby Vision + Atmos

You’ll be able to download Pearl Jam’s Gigaton Visual Experience starting April 24

If you’ve been looking to build your Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos content library, you’re in luck: Apple and Dolby have just announced that Pearl Jam’s latest release will be available in the spatial audio format for free later this week. 

On offer is the Gigaton Visual Experience, an album-length music video that’s offering immersive spatial audio and colorful, high-contrast picture quality on any Apple device that supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. 

Obviously this sort of thing would look best on an Apple TV 4K hooked up to a Dolby Vision-compatible TV and an Atmos speaker system, but you’ll also be able to play it on compatible iPhones like the iPhone 8 and iPhone XS, iPads and MacBooks, too.

The bad news? You’ll have to act fast: the album will be free on the Apple Store starting April 24 in over 100 countries... but for only seven days, after which you’ll have to buy or rent it at the regular price.

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,784
    Did it start or is it at 3 a.m.?
    I miss igotid88
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,555
    demetrios said:

Apple is giving away Pearl Jam's latest music video in Dolby Vision + Atmos

You’ll be able to download Pearl Jam’s Gigaton Visual Experience starting April 24

If you’ve been looking to build your Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos content library, you’re in luck: Apple and Dolby have just announced that Pearl Jam’s latest release will be available in the spatial audio format for free later this week. 

On offer is the Gigaton Visual Experience, an album-length music video that’s offering immersive spatial audio and colorful, high-contrast picture quality on any Apple device that supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. 

Obviously this sort of thing would look best on an Apple TV 4K hooked up to a Dolby Vision-compatible TV and an Atmos speaker system, but you’ll also be able to play it on compatible iPhones like the iPhone 8 and iPhone XS, iPads and MacBooks, too.

The bad news? You’ll have to act fast: the album will be free on the Apple Store starting April 24 in over 100 countries... but for only seven days, after which you’ll have to buy or rent it at the regular price.

"Giving away" sounds like misinformation to me. My assumption is that it will be free to stream for a week, and then you will have to purchase it after that. But we all know what happens when you assume.

• mr_perfectmr_perfect Posts: 154
    search gigaton in the appletv app not pearl jam
  • mr_perfectmr_perfect Posts: 154
    first impression: the atmos has sounds coming out that ive never heard on the cd version of the album. its definitely atmospheric with the surrounds...100% purchasing this.
    Good morning! :)

• It sounds awesome.  You don't need Atmos to enjoy the surround experience.  I have the Apple TV before the 4K was released and it is definitely in surround sound.

• PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Bummer.  It is not the 1 hour and 25 minutes the theater ads had it listed as.   
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,613
    PB11041 said:
    Bummer.  It is not the 1 hour and 25 minutes the theater ads had it listed as.   
    I think I'll be ok.  I'm usually sitting through 20 min of previews when I go to the theater, lol.  Either is is how long it is, or they'll release a DVD/Blu-ray later.
  • brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 238
    Just glorious.  
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    It’s not on my Apple TV :s 
    JPPJ84 said:

Search Gigaton. I logged into my girls Apple TV account. Pearl Jam didn't show up. Gotta search for it to view.
    demetrios said:
    JPPJ84 said:

Search Gigaton. I logged into my girls Apple TV account. Pearl Jam didn't show up. Gotta search for it to view.
    I found it in the Apple TV app on my phone but not on my TV. The Apple TV box is basically just iTunes, right?! It’s not there. And when I try playing it on my TV via AirPlay it just displays an error message 
  • JPPJ84 said:
    demetrios said:
    JPPJ84 said:

I found it in the Apple TV app on my phone but not on my TV. The Apple TV box is basically just iTunes, right?! It’s not there. And when I try playing it on my TV via AirPlay it just displays an error message 
    Same here.  Can you not get the Apple TV app through the Apple TV box?
    edited April 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    demetrios said:
    JPPJ84 said:

Same here.  Can you not get the Apple TV app through the Apple TV box?
    Doesn’t look like it. I can access the iTunes Store but not the App Store. My box is probably too old, I‘ve had it for 6 years at least 
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,711
    Man, I’m pulling out so much more hearing it this way. DotC especially.