Tm changes refund policy

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    I think it's because the system is designed to scalp tickets.   All they did was changed the name and locked it to face value.

Under normal circumstances.  If a person sold a $100 ticket for $500, they're on the hook to pay it back if the show gets postponed.  In this case if it was a scalping event, TM is holding the money in case the buyer asks for a refund before the show is postponed.  TM doesn't want to be on the hook for $500 on a $120 ticket.  They hold the proceeds the seller received and wait for the the show to get rescheduled.

It makes sense.   The issue is they repurposed an existing system for the sale.  It comes off as a bit odd when it comes sell them at face, but makes more sense when you realize the system was originally designed for scalping.  Hopefully they ride out the kinks.

It definitely sucks... I'm looking forward to the shows getting rescheduled so I can try and get my spare pair of tickets into the hands of another 10c'er.

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,907
    Zod said:
    I think it's because the system is designed to scalp tickets.   All they did was changed the name and locked it to face value.

Under normal circumstances.  If a person sold a $100 ticket for $500, they're on the hook to pay it back if the show gets postponed.  In this case if it was a scalping event, TM is holding the money in case the buyer asks for a refund before the show is postponed.  TM doesn't want to be on the hook for $500 on a $120 ticket.  They hold the proceeds the seller received and wait for the the show to get rescheduled.

It makes sense.   The issue is they repurposed an existing system for the sale.  It comes off as a bit odd when it comes sell them at face, but makes more sense when you realize the system was originally designed for scalping.  Hopefully they ride out the kinks.

It definitely sucks... I'm looking forward to the shows getting rescheduled so I can try and get my spare pair of tickets into the hands of another 10c'er.

Their design flaw is their problem.  There’s no excuse for what they’re doing.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    Has anybody talked to TM about the fan to fan sales and how they are justifying being double paid for tickets?
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    JV267526 said:
    kst said:
    Withholding refunds is disgusting but at least in that instance the customer still has a ticket.  Withholding F2F payouts is unconscionable.  The seller has neither a ticket nor their money. That is completely outrageous.
    I agree. The double dipping they are doing in F2F payout cases is literally criminal.
    Somebody should take them to court (wink)...

but that seriously blows. I didn't realize F2F funds were being withheld, too.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,717
    Has anybody talked to TM about the fan to fan sales and how they are justifying being double paid for tickets?
    I did via their online chat and they told me that it was in case the buyer wanted a refund. When I pressed them to ask why they should have two payments for one ticket, I basically got told "it is what it is". At that point I figured I was wasting my time. 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    I'm debating just stopping payment on the CC used. Thoughts?
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    edited April 2020
    RS65573 said:
    I'm debating just stopping payment on the CC used. Thoughts?
    Used for what? F2F or standard purchase? I believe Ticketstoday is giving refunds for the 10c tickets. I'd think if there's no fraud a chargeback is a bad idea. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
    The credit card used on my initial purchase through 10club. Called TM, asked for refund, they said no, just filed dispute. These shows are never happening with GA.
  • jefftjefft Posts: 657
    RS65573 said:
    The credit card used on my initial purchase through 10club. Called TM, asked for refund, they said no, just filed dispute. These shows are never happening with GA.
    Why wont they happen withGA?
    Maybe with a cure, who knows, but I think odds are they will have to redraw even in best situation, and honestly I dont care, I am past caring about concerts, the #s today in NJ are terrifying.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    I understand you sold the tickets Michael, however we cannot release payments until the event is rescheduled or canceled. I'm sorry.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    RS65573 said:
    You're supposed to just reply to the Ticketstoday email to get a refund for 10c tickets.

• mcgruff10 said:
    I understand you sold the tickets Michael, however we cannot release payments until the event is rescheduled or canceled. I'm sorry.
    Is that what tm told you? Wow that’s nuts
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes sir. Word for word.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • jefftjefft Posts: 657
    RS65573 said:
    Maybe with a cure, who knows, but I think odds are they will have to redraw even in best situation, and honestly I dont care, I am past caring about concerts, the #s today in NJ are terrifying.
    I hear you the numbers are insane.  I hope everyone stays safe wherever  you are, and we can rock out sometime down the road when things go back to somewhat normal.  As for ga I get your close but I mean sitting or standing in the bleachers is not much different.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,907
    mcgruff10 said:
    Same boat.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    I was actually able to request refunds for a couple standard ticket purchases for shows that have been postponed but not yet rescheduled - PJ Oak 2 and Rolling Stones. Others that have been postponed but no new date like Tool had no refund option. I also can't request a refund for Foo Fighters even though it's already been rescheduled. So it looks like it's an evolving situation.  
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    A lot of people have gone from a normal middle class life, to desperate for cash to buy food, etc, all in the last 4-6 weeks. I'm lucky to not be one of them, but I feel terrible for anyone that really could use their money refunded right now.
    edited April 2020
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/arts/music/aeg-presents-ticketmaster-refunds.html 

NY AG may be investigating; TM claims it hasn't changed policy. 
    While the language might of used to be different, I was always under the impression it was up to the promoter (or whoever was running the show) as to what the policy was on postponed shows.  

Then again maybe TM wouldn't be getting so much flack if the lines weren't so blurred.   They are owned by LiveNation who is the biggest promoter, so while TM doesn't sit on the cash, a big chunk of it is probably in the hands of their parent company.
    edited April 2020
    I am a little curious as to what is done with the cash while it sits around waiting.   If many people are like me, and they're ok with waiting to find out the new dates, then only a percentage of tickets for every postponed show would be postponed.   Even if that turned out to be 50 to 70% you'd think they'd have the cash to make that happen (although there would be serious concerns whether or not the promoter could resell those tickets once rescheduled, making it tough to to pay the bands guarantee).

I wonder if they're trying to make extra money by investing the cash while they're sitting on it.   I realize they have overhead and costs, but I would expect them to still have enough cash to refund a large percentage of the tickets.   I'm trying to wrap my head around reasons they wouldn't be public with, about why the industry is being so guarded with the refunds.    Investing the cash could be a reason.   Then you'd see a big drop in available reserves to refund the tickets.

Post edited by Zod on
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,825
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Was just about to post this. Some interesting tidbits in there specifically about rescheduled shows starting to be announced on may 1. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,184
    As long as the fine print isn't janky, sign me up for the 150% credit
  • it's gonna be a total cluster f when things gets rolling again. i had over 8 other shows booked with ticketbastard not including pj(3)
    pjl44 said:
    As long as the fine print isn't janky, sign me up for the 150% credit
    Yeah I don't think I can pass that up... There's gotta be shows at some point, right?? Even for shows you still want to attend, it's probably better to get the credit and then buy new tickets 
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    A bigger concern for all of us holding tickets to the tour should be whether TicketMaster will even be in business a year from now when these shows might take place. 
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 said:
    A bigger concern for all of us holding tickets to the tour should be whether TicketMaster will even be in business a year from now when these shows might take place. 
    I think TM will be.  They have cash reserves.  People seem to struggle to differentiate TM from Promoters (Even though TM is owned by a promoter).  Like Ebay, Stubhub, Credit Cards, etc.... TM earns money off their fee's.  Whether it's service charges on our concerts tickets, the fee's they charge to resell tickets, etc....   Sure it'll hurt them until concerts start back up, but I imagine they can slim down and ride it out on cash reserves.

I'm not sure how promoters will fair in all of this.   They probably spent a bunch of the concert revenues on things associated with running those concerts.   All that overhead with no income coming in.  

My conclusion:   I think bigger companies have bigger cash reserves and are in a better position to ride it out.    I think this is going to be extremely tough on whatever is left of small promoters and independent ticketing agencies.  We'll probably see more consolidation into the remaining big players :(

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 655
    Live Nation owns Ticketmaster, and is a publicly traded corporation.  This conglomerate/monopoly is the largest player in the ticket game.  It's not going anywhere.  There will be live music someday, and Ticketmaster will be there to take all our money.  Don't worry about them, and don't feel bad for them for even a minute.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.