Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    edited June 2020
    Biden
    mickeyrat said:
    So what in this makes Abrams not have the stuff?

1995 Abrams earned a Bachelor of Arts in interdisciplinary studies (political science, economics and sociology) from Spelman College, magna cum laude.[1] While in college she worked in the youth services department in the office of Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson.[7] She later interned at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.[7] As a freshman in 1992, Abrams took part in a protest on the steps of the Georgia Capitol, during which she joined in burning the state flag. At that time Georgia's state flag incorporated the Confederate battle flag, which had been added to the state flag in 1956 as an anti-civil rights movement action. The flag was designed by Southern Democrat John Sammons Bell, an attorney and Chair of the Democratic Party of Georgia who was an outspoken supporter of segregation.[8][9]

As a Harry S. Truman Scholar, Abrams studied public policy at the University of Texas at Austin's LBJ School of Public Affairs, where she earned a Master of Public Affairs degree in 1998. In 1999 she earned a Juris Doctor from Yale Law School.[1]

I'd take Keisha over her. Both decent options though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Biden
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-tulsa-oversold_n_5ee8e5fcc5b6f9929a8c35a5

Rick Tyler, a GOP consultant who worked on Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s 2016 campaign, said he doesn’t understand why Trump and his people keep bragging about their rally attendance in the first place.

“Free tickets to a freak show are not hard to give away and a good time will be had by all,” Tyler noted. “But there is a reason the circus only comes to town until the crowds thin and it’s time to move on. The problem for team Trump is that his market share of voters has not expanded beyond people who love clown shows.”

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

1995 Abrams earned a Bachelor of Arts in interdisciplinary studies (political science, economics and sociology) from Spelman College, magna cum laude.[1] While in college she worked in the youth services department in the office of Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson.[7] She later interned at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.[7] As a freshman in 1992, Abrams took part in a protest on the steps of the Georgia Capitol, during which she joined in burning the state flag. At that time Georgia's state flag incorporated the Confederate battle flag, which had been added to the state flag in 1956 as an anti-civil rights movement action. The flag was designed by Southern Democrat John Sammons Bell, an attorney and Chair of the Democratic Party of Georgia who was an outspoken supporter of segregation.[8][9]

As a Harry S. Truman Scholar, Abrams studied public policy at the University of Texas at Austin's LBJ School of Public Affairs, where she earned a Master of Public Affairs degree in 1998. In 1999 she earned a Juris Doctor from Yale Law School.[1]

I guess because it doesn’t say she has safely been making incremental change in the halls of Congress for 30+ years?  Seems to be a hot qualifier.  Personally I think she’d be great. Nobody’s perfect.
    but she articulates that very point very well.

did you take the time to hear the podcast? Maron replays a segment with Obama that sets the table
    I think she would be great.  I was being  either facetious or sarcastic. Not sure which.  Trying to state that to some people she isn’t an old reliable safe democrat hand and that can be a turn off for a lot of centrists or whatever they call themselves.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    potential running mate for Biden.  Good to hear her in this format...

She comes across as smart and a decent person. But her highest office is state legislator in a state that will most likely vote republican without much of a battle.

I’d prefer someone more battle tested and a stronger resume.

Val Demings is a much stronger candidate. As former Police Chief of Orlando she has the perfect background and hometown for a 2020 presidential campaign. She is a talented communicator, as is Abrams, but comes across as tough but fair with the perfect experience in the current political climate.
    Agreed...I realize the experience argument is somewhat out the door given the tRump victory but the VP needs to be ready on day 1.  I like Abrams but, even though she may be ready?, her background doesn't suggest it.

Demings would be huge with the black vote....and it will be hard for tRump to paint Biden as anti-police with her on the ticket.  Plus the FL connection.

With a large portion of the base calling to defund the police I don’t see how a police candidate would be a good thing.  Am I missing something or is she like the Greatest nicest never had a wrongful death on her watch cop?  Millions of dem voters out saying defund the police and people really think a cop Ticket  is what is needed Right now?
    I don't think millions of dems are saying "defund the police"....but I do know that people that refer to "defund the police" do not tend to understand what it means.
    Are you saying that the millions of people in the streets are not likely dem voters? Are you also saying that the people saying defund the police don’t understand that it means defunding their budget and reallocating funds for measures like community housing and mental health etc?  I think that anyone out in those streets saying defund the police knows exactly what it means. I also think that all of us that have spent time there are much more likely to vote D than R.

Basically I’m not understanding what you are saying, maybe we agree.  To me putting a cop on the ballot is a sure fire way to really turn off voters.  Why have a law and order ticket? Isn’t that what the republicans are for?  I mean if people want a “tough on crime” ticket there is already an option for that.  Why should we try to appease republicans?
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,720
    edited June 2020
    Biden
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

She comes across as smart and a decent person. But her highest office is state legislator in a state that will most likely vote republican without much of a battle.

Val Demings is a much stronger candidate. As former Police Chief of Orlando she has the perfect background and hometown for a 2020 presidential campaign. She is a talented communicator, as is Abrams, but comes across as tough but fair with the perfect experience in the current political climate.
    Agreed...I realize the experience argument is somewhat out the door given the tRump victory but the VP needs to be ready on day 1.  I like Abrams but, even though she may be ready?, her background doesn't suggest it.

Demings would be huge with the black vote....and it will be hard for tRump to paint Biden as anti-police with her on the ticket.  Plus the FL connection.

With a large portion of the base calling to defund the police I don’t see how a police candidate would be a good thing.  Am I missing something or is she like the Greatest nicest never had a wrongful death on her watch cop?  Millions of dem voters out saying defund the police and people really think a cop Ticket  is what is needed Right now?
    I don't think millions of dems are saying "defund the police"....but I do know that people that refer to "defund the police" do not tend to understand what it means.
    Are you saying that the millions of people in the streets are not likely dem voters? Are you also saying that the people saying defund the police don’t understand that it means defunding their budget and reallocating funds for measures like community housing and mental health etc?  I think that anyone out in those streets saying defund the police knows exactly what it means. I also think that all of us that have spent time there are much more likely to vote D than R.

Basically I’m not understanding what you are saying, maybe we agree.  To me putting a cop on the ballot is a sure fire way to really turn off voters.  Why have a law and order ticket? Isn’t that what the republicans are for?  I mean if people want a “tough on crime” ticket there is already an option for that.  Why should we try to appease republicans?
    When someone predisposed to teh 'law and order' mindset hears 'defund the police', they think about eliminating law enforcement.  That's neither politically tenable or wise.  There are real life criminals out there and we need real life police, detectives, forensics and everything else.  Defund means eliminate funding, not reduce, not reallocate, not change the mindset.  So the rallying cry is a trap for liberals.  
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I guess because it doesn’t say she has safely been making incremental change in the halls of Congress for 30+ years?  Seems to be a hot qualifier.  Personally I think she’d be great. Nobody’s perfect.

did you take the time to hear the podcast? Maron replays a segment with Obama that sets the table
    I think she would be great.  I was being  either facetious or sarcastic. Not sure which.  Trying to state that to some people she isn’t an old reliable safe democrat hand and that can be a turn off for a lot of centrists or whatever they call themselves.
    FTR, Demings didn't take office in the House until 2017, so she's not exactly an entrenched Washington insider. She's a retired police chief.  I'm sure the OPD has their share of issues, like every other department, but having her could protect the right flank for Biden on the Defund calls.  
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

When someone predisposed to teh 'law and order' mindset hears 'defund the police', they think about eliminating law enforcement.  That's neither politically tenable or wise.  There are real life criminals out there and we need real life police, detectives, forensics and everything else.  Defund means eliminate funding, not reduce, not reallocate, not change the mindset.  So the rallying cry is a trap for liberals.  
    Do you believe that the defund movement means eliminating funding and abolishing police?  I’ve had enough conversations with you to think you know better.  Or Are you more or less saying the thoughts of uninformed people when they hear defund the police brings about images of lawlessness etc and scares them?  The movement is for a large scale defunding and reallocation of funds from the grossly bloated police budgets to more community services, so that actual cops, forensic experts, and detectives can work on real crime and not be the catch all for any time someone feels like they might need to call the cops for suspected minor misdemeanors.  Saying that defunding the police means eliminating funding and eliminating law enforcement really plays into the republican led narrative imo. Defund the Police is a much clearer call to arms than lets reallocate funds and tinker with the system and let the police continue to monitor themselves once we establish bipartisan agreed reforms imo.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

FTR, Demings didn't take office in the House until 2017, so she's not exactly an entrenched Washington insider. She's a retired police chief.  I'm sure the OPD has their share of issues, like every other department, but having her could protect the right flank for Biden on the Defund calls.  
    Do we really think the right flank is what will decide the outcome of this election? If so are we really a liberal party if we play and pander to conservatives?
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Do you believe that the defund movement means eliminating funding and abolishing police?  I’ve had enough conversations with you to think you know better.  Or Are you more or less saying the thoughts of uninformed people when they hear defund the police brings about images of lawlessness etc and scares them?  The movement is for a large scale defunding and reallocation of funds from the grossly bloated police budgets to more community services, so that actual cops, forensic experts, and detectives can work on real crime and not be the catch all for any time someone feels like they might need to call the cops for suspected minor misdemeanors.  Saying that defunding the police means eliminating funding and eliminating law enforcement really plays into the republican led narrative imo. Defund the Police is a much clearer call to arms than lets reallocate funds and tinker with the system and let the police continue to monitor themselves once we establish bipartisan agreed reforms imo.
    I know what it means, but the saying is tailor made to be manipulated by the right towards the uninformed.  You don't create a motto that is both impossible and frightening to the people to the right of us, but who may also be left enough to vote for Biden.  Defund is not clearer from a marketing standpoint, because defund does not mean reduce, it means eliminate.  Biden, Pelosi and Schumer have all had to come out and say they are not for defunding the police.  However, if you asked them if we should 1. stop militarizing the police by letting the Pentagon sell surplus, reallocate dollars into community resources and retrain police to be community members and advocates, I'm fairly certain they would say YES!  But they could not be on record for defunding for the obvious political reasons.  
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Do we really think the right flank is what will decide the outcome of this election? If so are we really a liberal party if we play and pander to conservatives?
    I think the flank to the right of us is important in the outcome of the election, particularly in WI, MI and PA.  I'm not talking about Trump supporters, I'm talking about independents, suburban moms, apolitical people, etc.  It's important that the party is pro-reform but not anti-police.  That's where we need to be to win.  
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

ITS. AN. ELECTION. YEAR.  When you have to explain what your fucking slogan means, you're losing.

Those uninformed people you referenced VOTE. You have to make it easy for them to understand. Call it reform. Don't call it defundng. 

Good god. How are democrats so bad at politics?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I think the flank to the right of us is important in the outcome of the election, particularly in WI, MI and PA.  I'm not talking about Trump supporters, I'm talking about independents, suburban moms, apolitical people, etc.  It's important that the party is pro-reform but not anti-police.  That's where we need to be to win.  
    yes.
    yes.
    yes.
    yes.

This ain't a hard concept to grasp. 

The "defunding police" stuff is not polling well at all. Democrats are shooting themselves in the feet with this issue. Biden was smart to not embrace that right from the jump. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

ITS. AN. ELECTION. YEAR.  When you have to explain what your fucking slogan means, you're losing.

Those uninformed people you referenced VOTE. You have to make it easy for them to understand. Call it reform. Don't call it defundng. 

It's not Democrats.  The three leaders of the party said they didn't support it.  It's the progressive wing.  

And you're right... when you're explaining,  you're losing. 
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

It's not Democrats.  The three leaders of the party said they didn't support it.  It's the progressive wing.  

And you're right... when you're explaining,  you're losing. 
    I know. That's all Trump needs to pin it on all of them though. Republicans are so much better at messaging. Conservative/moderate, whatever.....they all fall in line. Democrats would have an easier time if their party was as disciplined. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    edited June 2020
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yup. You can align yourself with spray painting ACAB and defund the police....

or you could sign yourself with reforming police, including not making them be the front line for everything cause not every issue need the police...I mean why do we think we can train 1 person to deal with all those other issues.

Defund the police and ACAB are not helping 

Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yup. You can align yourself with spray painting ACAN and defund the police....

or you could sign yourself with reforming police, including not making them be the front line for everything cause not every issue need the police...I mean why do we think we can train 1 person to deal with all those other issues.

So it was too hasty to get this tattoo of "1312"?
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I get all the points that both of you are making, but the reality is that appealing to white middle class America has never brought any true structural change.  Maybe this time it’s different.  As for why democrats are so bad at politics part of it has to do with pandering to republicans and part of it has to do with not doing more to bring new voters to the table.  You can’t bring the left into the fold while trying to appease republicans.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yup. You can align yourself with spray painting ACAN and defund the police....

So it was too hasty to get this tattoo of "1312"?
    You do you. Good luck with that ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I get all the points that both of you are making, but the reality is that appealing to white middle class America has never brought any true structural change.  Maybe this time it’s different.  As for why democrats are so bad at politics part of it has to do with pandering to republicans and part of it has to do with not doing more to bring new voters to the table.  You can’t bring the left into the fold while trying to appease republicans.
    I understand what you are saying. But you don’t provide your “competition” a rallying cry to get to the polls.  Then Dems continue to need a brand manager and PR staff.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I understand what you are saying. But you don’t provide your “competition” a rallying cry to get to the polls.  Then Dems continue to need a brand manager and PR staff.
    They should just hire those Lincoln Project guys.

America or Trump. That's a fucking perfect slogan. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

They should just hire those Lincoln Project guys.

America or Trump. That's a fucking perfect slogan. 
    🤣
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,713
    A good read and raises some interesting points. Maybe I prefer the French model? Aren’t politicians just a reflection of ourselves?

https://apple.news/APphwb3KVSrCx9iyljQy99Q
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Biden
    Doesn’t seem like the country believes we’ve been made “great again,” huh?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,713
    Doesn’t seem like the country believes we’ve been made “great again,” huh?

The very stable genius, playing 4D chess, made AGA. Fake polls, fake news.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Biden
    I wonder if Vedd Hedd still intends to vote for Trump.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Biden
    Seemed like he was all in.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Biden
    Damn..ya'll merciless.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    jeffbr said:
    Seemed like he was all in.
    He has to. The poll was binding. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,015
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    Damn..ya'll merciless.
    you cant open it back up?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14