Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,153
    edited October 2020
    States that release party affiliation for voters who already submitted ballots - the following swing states all have Ds with a big lead

Democratic “leads”
    FL +13
    IA +22
    NC +16
    NV +14
    PA +50
    How bout that commonwealth of pa knocking early voting out of the park?!
    Isn’t that just percentage of dem over repub votes and not total early votes cast? PA could have 100 votes cast and FL 10,000. And probably dems in Philly coming out in droves, early. And they still need to be counted. Question is, where and how are they kept until that happens? Arson is a real thing.

It’s the percentage.

From what I see, in millions of votes, FL has received 3.7M, NC 2.1 and PA 1.1

Edit, with trump, yea arson may be a thing. With the states that track party affiliations they have records of exactly who voted and probably track rejected ballots. I’ve seen a few states report that data.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    Biden
    States that release party affiliation for voters who already submitted ballots - the following swing states all have Ds with a big lead

Democratic “leads”
    FL +13
    IA +22
    NC +16
    NV +14
    PA +50
    How bout that commonwealth of pa knocking early voting out of the park?!
    Isn’t that just percentage of dem over repub votes and not total early votes cast? PA could have 100 votes cast and FL 10,000. And probably dems in Philly coming out in droves, early. And they still need to be counted. Question is, where and how are they kept until that happens? Arson is a real thing.

It’s the percentage.

From what I see, in millions of votes, FL has received 3.7M, NC 2.1 and PA 1.1

Edit, with trump, yea arson may be a thing. With the states that track party affiliations they have records of exactly who voted and probably track rejected ballots. I’ve seen a few states report that data.
    6 million votes in PA in 16. 
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    So what's the deal with all the mail voting? Corona? Or is it some kind of movement..?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    So what's the deal with all the mail voting? Corona? Or is it some kind of movement..?
    Both.
    I don't agree with the mass mail out ballots that's been going on. Some counties or states are mailing ballots to every registered voter, whether they asked for one or not. To think that there wont be any fraud is naïve. To also think the fraud will be exclusively one party and in large enough amounts to actually impact the election is also naïve. But I still think someone should have to request a mail ballot to receive one. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,106
    edited October 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    mace1229 said:
    Both.
    I don't agree with the mass mail out ballots that's been going on. Some counties or states are mailing ballots to every registered voter, whether they asked for one or not. To think that there wont be any fraud is naïve. To also think the fraud will be exclusively one party and in large enough amounts to actually impact the election is also naïve. But I still think someone should have to request a mail ballot to receive one. 
    Why would there be fraud because of ballots being sent out?

Parties send out ballots with their "vote for us" advertising to households in Sweden every election. I would guess we rank pretty damn high in safe elections.

What does a ballot matter? or maybe a ballot is something else than what it is in Sweden...

Ballot in Sweden:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    Both.

Parties send out ballots with their "vote for us" advertising to households in Sweden every election. I would guess we rank pretty damn high in safe elections.

What does a ballot matter? or maybe a ballot is something else than what it is in Sweden...
    some think it will cause people to vote more than once, hence, fraud. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2020
    More than voting twice, because I think there are measures against that, are ballots being misdelivered or stolen from the mail, or ballots being mailed to dead people and their relatives fill it out.
    Like I said, it will certainly happen, but not in numbers big enough to actually change the results.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    mace1229 said:
    Both.

some think it will cause people to vote more than once, hence, fraud. 
    So, how would that be possible?

Should be a safeguard against that, right?

Like in Sweden, where you are checked off a list at your designated voting place controlled against your ID (drivers licence, passport etc) when handing over the ballot(s).

I mean, this is how it looks at every voting place in Sweden - a heck of a lot of ballots to use if you would have been able to vote more than once...

• Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mace1229 said:
    More than voting twice, because I think there are measures against that, are ballots being misdelivered or stolen from the mail, or ballots being mailed to dead people and their relatives fill it out.
    Like I said, it will certainly happen, but not in numbers big enough to actually change the results.
    Are there precedent for this, or is it fear mongering?

And still, wouldn't you need something more to vote than a ballot (as in being checked off against your ID)... so why would a dead person be able to vote?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

And still, wouldn't you need something more to vote than a ballot (as in being checked off against your ID)... so why would a dead person be able to vote?
    They're just being mailed out then either mailed back or dropped off at a voting box, no ID needed for a mail ballot. So you can steal a ballot from a mail box or get one misdelivered to you and still fill it out. And I'm sure someone who died within the last few months will probably still be getting a ballot in the mail. One reason I think its stupid for people who didn't even request one. 
    So the fact there is going to be fraud is real. Saying its going to be hundreds of thousands of ballots stolen from the post office in a swing state and filled out for Biden is fear mongering. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

They're just being mailed out then either mailed back or dropped off at a voting box, no ID needed for a mail ballot. So you can steal a ballot from a mail box or get one misdelivered to you and still fill it out. And I'm sure someone who died within the last few months will probably still be getting a ballot in the mail. One reason I think its stupid for people who didn't even request one. 
    So the fact there is going to be fraud is real. Saying its going to be hundreds of thousands of ballots stolen from the post office in a swing state and filled out for Biden is fear mongering. 
    So, as long as you have a ballot - that equals a vote and no checks are being done for it to be cast? A ballot is no way checked of against an individual in any step of the process?

So if I found 25 ballots, I could just send them in an envelope in the ordinary mail and they would all be counted?

Hmm... Sounds a bit shaky.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

So, as long as you have a ballot - that equals a vote and no checks are being done for it to be cast? A ballot is no way checked of against an individual in any step of the process?

So if I found 25 ballots, I could just send them in an envelope in the ordinary mail and they would all be counted?

That's my understanding. I mean, you have to sign it. But is anyone really cross referencing the signatures with something on file? I'd be very surprised if they did. There's really nothing else to do when you can mail them back in. I guess you can make people scan their driver's license or something, but people are already against showing ID when voting in person.
    The just mailing out ballots to everyone does seem shaky and dumb. At least make them request it, I've done that before.
    There are literally tens of millions of ballots being mailed out to people who never asked for one and have no idea they're coming. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by being checked off against an individual. They only mail them to registered voters and they are tied to your name. But if your ballot ends up in someone else's hands there's really nothing keeping them from filling it out and mailing it in on your behalf. 
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

It is just GOP scare tactics to cast doubt and uncertainty. My state has been all mail in voting for over a decade. You have to be a registered voter to get a ballot mailed - but GOP would call those unsolicited since we don't have to request one each election. And the signature is checked on each against the voter registration. If signatures don't match the ballot us rejected. We have very little voter fraud in the state and it works well. I received my ballot last Thursday, dropped it in a ballot box on Friday morning, and by Monday the tracking on the election site showed my ballot had been received and counted. The fear mongering from the right about mail-in voting is getting boring. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    BS. Fear mongering.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2020/10/20/trumps-absentee-ballot-fraud-claims-not-supported-evidence/5969447002/

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/how-associating-mail-in-ballots-with-voter-fraud-became-a-political-tool/

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-election-2020-ap-fact-check-elections-voting-fraud-and-irregularities-8c5db90960815f91f39fe115579570b4

THE FACTS: Trump is vastly overstating the potential for “mayhem” and fraud in “big unsolicited ballot states.”

There is no such thing as an “unsolicited” ballot. Five states routinely send ballots to all registered voters so they can choose to vote through the mail or in person. Four other states and the District of Columbia will be adopting that system in November, as will almost every county in Montana. Election officials note that, by registering to vote, people are effectively requesting a ballot, so it makes no sense to call the materials sent to them “unsolicited.”

More broadly speaking, voter fraud has proved exceedingly rare. The Brennan Center for Justice in 2017 ranked the risk of ballot fraud at 0.00004% to 0.0009%, based on studies of past elections.

In the five states that regularly send ballots to all voters, there have been no major cases of fraud or difficulty counting the votes.

Trump frequently blasts mail-in voting as flawed and fraudulent while insisting that mail ballots in certain states such as Florida, a must-win state for him are fine and safe. But mail-in ballots are cast in the same way as what Trump refers to as “absentee” mail ballots, with the same level of scrutiny such as signature verification in many states. In court filings, the Trump campaign has acknowledged that mail-in and absentee ballots are legally interchangeable terms.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-vote-by-mail-explainer/explainer-fraud-is-rare-in-u-s-mail-in-voting-here-are-the-methods-that-prevent-it-idUSKBN2482SA

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With the number of Americans voting by mail on Nov. 3 expected to nearly double due to COVID-19, election experts see little reason to expect an increase in ballot fraud, despite President Donald Trump’s repeated claims.

Voting by mail is not new in the United States -- nearly 1 in 4 voters cast 2016 presidential ballots that way. Routine methods and the decentralized nature of U.S. elections make it very hard to interfere with mailed ballots, experts say.

While mail balloting has its drawbacks, it can help minimize the long lines, faulty voting machines and COVID-19-induced staffing shortages that have plagued some elections this year.

HOW SECURE IS IT?

Election experts say it would be nearly impossible for foreign actors to disrupt an election by mailing out fake ballots, a scenario floated by Attorney General William Barr.

For one thing, voters won’t just be selecting a president: They might be choosing candidates for city council, school board and weighing in on ballot initiatives. That can require hundreds of different ballot designs in a single county and the United States has more than 3,000 counties.

Ballots aren’t counted if they aren’t printed on the proper type of paper and don’t include specific technical markings.

States also require voters to sign the outside of their envelope, which they match to a signature on file.

Some 29 states and the District of Columbia allow voters to track their ballots to ensure they are received, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Fourteen states and D.C. also allow voters to return their ballots by hand if they don’t trust the mail.

Those envelopes are typically opened by a different group of workers than those who scan the ballots. Outside observers are allowed to monitor the process to ensure voter privacy.

IS FRAUD A PROBLEM?

As with other forms of voting, documented cases of mail-ballot fraud are extremely rare.

The conservative Heritage Foundation, which has warned of the risks of mail voting, found 14 cases of attempted mail fraud out of roughly 15.5 million ballots cast in Oregon since that state started conducting elections by mail in 1998.

The most prominent cases of mail fraud have involved campaigns, not voters. North Carolina invalidated the results of a 2018 congressional election after state officials found that a Republican campaign operative had orchestrated a ballot fraud scheme.

Experts say those scenarios can be minimized by nixing requirements -- currently in place in 11 states -- which instruct voters to get at least one witness to sign their return envelopes.

“All of these policies remove the need to hand over your ballot to someone you don’t know,” said Tammy Patrick, a former election official in Maricopa County, Arizona.

DOES IT HELP TURNOUT?

Turnout rates tend to be higher in states that conduct elections by mail. A Stanford University study found that participation increased by roughly 2 percentage points in three states that rolled out universal voting by mail from 1996 to 2018. It had no effect on partisan outcome and did not appear to give an advantage to any particular racial, economic or age group.

In Colorado, 77% of voting age citizens cast ballots in the 2016 presidential election, the highest figure in the country, according to the U.S. Election Assistance Commission. In Oregon, that figure was 72% and in Washington it was 68%, well above the national rate of 63%.

ARE THERE BARRIERS?

Like any other voting method, mail balloting has its drawbacks.

States rejected 1% of returned ballots in 2016 for arriving too late, missing signatures or other problems, according to EAC figures -- though that figure was as high as 5% in some states. It can be more difficult to fix errors on mail ballots than on those cast in person, experts say.

Mail ballots can pose additional barriers to those who don’t speak English or have disabilities, and delivery can be problematic on Native American reservations, where residents sometimes don’t have street addresses.

In California, which started transitioning to mail ballots in 2018, Black and Hispanic voters were twice as likely to cast their ballots in person, according to David Becker, head of the Center for Election Innovation and Research.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by being checked off against an individual. They only mail them to registered voters and they are tied to your name. But if your ballot ends up in someone else's hands there's really nothing keeping them from filling it out and mailing it in on your behalf. 
    Ah, okey. I think I get it now. The difference. 

In the US the ballot is tied to a person, and you have to register to be able to vote and when registering you get one sent out to you.

In Sweden the ballots are not tied to a person. But when casting your ballot you as a person are being checked off on a list of names at your local voting place, controlled against your ID. So no one else can come and claim to vote in your name.

Okey. I got it.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    Biden
    turn on the news. obama is going HAM all over trump in PA right now!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    So what is the reason for having to register to vote? As in the argument for it?

Why wouldn't every eligible voter be registered as a voter by being an eligible citizen?
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    Biden
    So what is the reason for having to register to vote? As in the argument for it?

Why wouldn't every eligible voter be registered as a voter by being an eligible citizen?
    Because 1) it's all left up to the states 2) it can be left up to a completely absurd political process. Otherwise, voting would/should be treated like the duty and right that it is. You hear from some people, some politicians, they will tell you voting is a privilege. Which is fucking absurd.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I'm sitting this one out

Because 1) it's all left up to the states 2) it can be left up to a completely absurd political process. Otherwise, voting would/should be treated like the duty and right that it is. You hear from some people, some politicians, they will tell you voting is a privilege. Which is fucking absurd.
    Well, sounds to me like in this case  @gimmesometruth27 and @DewieCox Sweden does it in a superior way.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    Biden

Well, sounds to me like in this case  @gimmesometruth27 and @DewieCox Sweden does it in a superior way.
    not taking the bait.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    https://youtu.be/W6QWULSog5I

Would pay "streaming a vault show at nugs" money to watch the meeting Obama had with Trump in the oval office.
  • Options
    Biden

Yes, you may be one of those countries where it's a duty? Definitely should be the case everywhere.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I'm sitting this one out

Yes, you may be one of those countries where it's a duty? Definitely should be the case everywhere.
    No. Not a duty, if I read the word correctly. You are not forced to. You can stay home. Or make a point by not voting. Only 87% voted last election.

But every citizen can show up with their ID (drivers license, passport etc) to their local voting locale, and leave a ballot on or some day that suits them before election day. 

Being a citizen = you are eligable to vote and have a local voting locale designated to you
    Show ID  = your name will be checked off on a list of the names designated to that voting locale, and your ballot will be put in the box

And election day is always on a Sunday - where the most people are free from work.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

It is just GOP scare tactics to cast doubt and uncertainty. My state has been all mail in voting for over a decade. You have to be a registered voter to get a ballot mailed - but GOP would call those unsolicited since we don't have to request one each election. And the signature is checked on each against the voter registration. If signatures don't match the ballot us rejected. We have very little voter fraud in the state and it works well. I received my ballot last Thursday, dropped it in a ballot box on Friday morning, and by Monday the tracking on the election site showed my ballot had been received and counted. The fear mongering from the right about mail-in voting is getting boring. 
    I registered online, I don’t think my signature is on file anywhere except maybe my driver’s license from 20 years ago.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,894
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I registered online, I don’t think my signature is on file anywhere except maybe my driver’s license from 20 years ago.

texas, right? dont they have voter id laws?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Biden

No. Not a duty, if I read the word correctly. You are not forced to. You can stay home. Or make a point by not voting. Only 87% voted last election.

But every citizen can show up with their ID (drivers license, passport etc) to their local voting locale, and leave a ballot on or some day that suits them before election day. 

Being a citizen = you are eligable to vote and have a local voting locale designated to you
    Show ID  = your name will be checked off on a list of the names designated to that voting locale, and your ballot will be put in the box

And election day is always on a Sunday - where the most people are free from work.
    I guess a right, duty I see as almost the same. Sure, you shouldn't go to jail or something if you don't vote.

My belief is if you can automatically be drafted at 18 to go to war, then you should be automatically be registered to vote. Voting should not be an inconvenience, nor a challenge, to the voter. We should all be automatically be sent a ballot and the voting window should be at least a week, if not a month. As ideal as I would like to think everyone will be off to vote on a Sunday it's not realistic - people get screwed by having one day to vote.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I'm sitting this one out

I guess a right, duty I see as almost the same. Sure, you shouldn't go to jail or something if you don't vote.

My belief is if you can automatically be drafted at 18 to go to war, then you should be automatically be registered to vote. Voting should not be an inconvenience, nor a challenge, to the voter. We should all be automatically be sent a ballot and the voting window should be at least a week, if not a month. As ideal as I would like to think everyone will be off to vote on a Sunday it's not realistic - people get screwed by having one day to vote.
    In Sweden you have 18 days to vote, but the actual election day (last day of voting) is on a Sunday.

Ofc you should be eligible/register to vote automatically just by being a citizen.

Don't see why it should be any other way if one wants to be called a democracy.

But don't wanna come off as I'm dunking on the US and get PM:s about it. So will end the discussion. Maybe there are super-duper great reasons for having to jump through hoops to vote.
  • Options
    Biden
    Fingers crossed for some voting reform. We could use a lot of it.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,894
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14