This song is incredible....
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    JV267526JV267526 Posts: 197
    This song is incredible....
    One of their best.
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    its music, music. Nothing more. It is MUSIC. KISS...that last "s" is silly. No one here or there deserves to be called stupid. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,948
    tbergs said:
    First time I heard that opening verse, I thought of this book and wondered if Eddie has read it.

I was interested in that opening line about ‘down under’. Normally it’s an Australian reference...
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    tbergs said:
    First time I heard that opening verse, I thought of this book and wondered if Eddie has read it.

I was interested in that opening line about ‘down under’. Normally it’s an Australian reference...
    I know, right? He says both down under and mutant messages in that verse. Not sure if anyone else has read this book, but the themes of it fit this album to a "T".
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    I haven't read the book but, intrigued, a google search immediately led me to reading that the Aborigines dispute the book's authenticity:

• Options
    unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    tbergs said:

My take on that line is that it is actually quite literal, Eddie was feeling depressed about the state of the US when a friend from Australia or New Zealand contacted him and it showed to him that just because the US is struggling there are places where dreams are still being made. That allowed him to move on from his despondency and get on with his day!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    edited April 2020
    Mike D88 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    While the Admin was trying to deal with this, fiddling Peloso was,  and still is, pushing impeachment....who was asleep at the wheel?  Imagine the worst crisis is at our doorstep and all half the goverment cares about is impeaching you...that really helps the idea they gave a shit at all about anything but their agenda
    This is trying to have your cake and eat it too, but like a way dumber version.

The admin was not trying to deal with this. Which is worth noting because the admin also wasn't trying to deal with impeachment--no witnesses, no testimony, remember?

Also lol at the idea that pandemic response isn't the president's responsibility but the speaker's. This isn't Fox News buddy, you can't just find the highest ranking democrat and make them secretly behind everything.
    D88 I did not make my point clearly enough. BOTH parties sat on this and underestimated it.  Dems/Repubs.   It isn't about blaming a party, it should be about blaming our US Gov, who had their eyes on agendas not our safety. Yes TRUMP is the voice,  but  party leaders being distracted by neverending impeachment notions clearly distracted them as well as tying up both parties who should have been focused on Covid 19, not lets find another way to waste time and money trying to get rid of Donald.  

Maybe people can refrain from taking things personally and have a mature discussion.  It is okay to disagree without comparisons, and blanket statements.
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    hrd2imgn said:
    fiddling Peloso
    hrd2imgn said:
    have a mature discussion
    Pound it sideways bud.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Waking up with this in my head.... Brilliant 
  • Options
    KentcompKentcomp Posts: 5
    I love this song. It has aged like a fine wine except every replay is like a year. I love EV's lyrics and the rest of the band's music behind it is incredible. So far it's my runaway winner on this album. PS Gossard/Ament 2024 ;-)
    Cheers,
    Kent
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    Waking up with this in my head.... Brilliant 
    "Oh hangman in dreamland, about to call your name" has been in my head for days...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Floodlight dreams all drifting past...love this song💕
  • Options
    JC29866JC29866 Chicago Posts: 81
    I love this song but wish there were more guitars in the chorus. All you hear is synth in the mix and I find myself wondering what Stone and Mike are doing during those parts
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,948
    Kentcomp said:
    I love this song. It has aged like a fine wine except every replay is like a year. I love EV's lyrics and the rest of the band's music behind it is incredible. So far it's my runaway winner on this album. PS Gossard/Ament 2024 ;-)
    Goddard - Ament 2024??
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,579
    Annafalk said:
    How do you take that? I mean, what does that mean for you?
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    tish said:
    Annafalk said:
    How do you take that? I mean, what does that mean for you?
    Dreams that never got to be materialized? I think this song has a great text, it feels to me very poetic. Some of it, I think is political? My favorite part of the song is when the chorus starts. : )
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Absolutely one of the standout tracks from this album. Love it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    CrewCrew Posts: 299
    I am in the minority, but I don't love it.  I actually really enjoy the first half, but it's overall unnecessarily long with a meandering outro.

Should've ended the track at the 4:38 mark.  If they did, it'd be a standout.  Solid little solo at the 2:30 mark, lots of layers, varied guitar, intentionally minimal backing, subtle drums; it all really opens up the soundstage beautifully.  It ties up nicely at 4:38, if they do that little ramp up to fade out.  Perfect-length track.

But then.. it just ramps up more, and it's, "everyone in."  Drum beat picks up and drowns out the other instruments that have fallen in with the quicker beat and get lost, and it's just a bit of a mess with Eddie singing over everything.  I audibly groaned at the, "hee-eeee-eeee," part.  That's fun at the shows, when it's a sign he's being playful.. but not in the studio.  Just felt really out of place.

I imagine this track will absolutely drag out when played live, but people will eat it up anyway.  

• Options
    hepcatpunkhepcatpunk Posts: 174
    tbergs said:

My take on that line is that it is actually quite literal, Eddie was feeling depressed about the state of the US when a friend from Australia or New Zealand contacted him and it showed to him that just because the US is struggling there are places where dreams are still being made. That allowed him to move on from his despondency and get on with his day!
    This was mine as well.  And that friend was Hugh Jackman, aka Wolverine, hence the "mutant" messages heard.  That was the take I came up with anyway while out doing yard work this past weekend. Lol, Great f***ing song!
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,455
    edited May 2020
    This song really has a hold on me, it really is a great song on every level. Love this line...'Moved on from my despondency and left it in the bed'
    Post edited by vito on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    edited May 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    mace1229 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Well, the song is about trump.
    TBH I think the theme is a much more general one. Trump may be part of all that’s wrong with the world today but I feel like the song isn’t „just“ about him
    I took it as just a chance to bash trump. Especially that sitting bullshit president line.
    that being said it’s probably my second favorite song on the album.
    Well I actually love that line ;) and no, I don’t wanna be part of any stupid political debate on here. 
    Well said ma'am! B)
    Post edited by vito on
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    vito said:
    This song really has a hold on me, it really is a great song on every level. Love this line...'Moved on from my despondency and left it in the bed'
    Ed's best lyrics since Johnny Guitar. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    angry_skullangry_skull Posts: 321
    This one reminds me of "Voices Carry" by Til' Tuesday, and I do not care for that. Thought watching the video...I think the premise is the same.

• Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    "Freedom is a verb"
    https://youtu.be/QFu0o8NB5Io
  • Options
    vito said:
    Ed's best lyrics since Johnny Guitar. 
    I see what you did there😎
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004