Options

Pearl Jam - Quick Escape

Comments

• Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:
    It's such a cool song - really deserves an end solo that doesn't sound like a first take improv. The music beneath that solo is so interesting that anything you put on top of it really has to bring something melodically to the table. I'm finding McCready's thoughtless, speedy, noodling unbearable on this track especially. Such a missed opportunity.
    It’s kind of his style. He isn’t Trey Anastasio.
    Ruining songs shouldn't be a style.

Plus, he's got so many thoughtful, brilliant solos under his belt which totally elevate the songs - I guess he just needs to be reined in by a good producer to actually think about the noise he's making.
  • Options
    JG63592JG63592 Posts: 83
    This jam is just straight fun. It starts out like an alarm siren and then tunes in like something like a highlight from a live U2 show then it clunks like a soundgarden gem, all before the first chorus. It's about leaving earth but plays like were going to the beach to surf. The nin bridge, Mike's soloing, then the faith no more epic sound alike notes at the end. Jeff great, matt great. 

I love it, statement.
    give J Roddy Waslton & the Business a listen, that is all.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    edited March 2020
    Reminds me of bullet the blue sky by u2.  Digging it
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    edited March 2020
    Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:
    It's such a cool song - really deserves an end solo that doesn't sound like a first take improv. The music beneath that solo is so interesting that anything you put on top of it really has to bring something melodically to the table. I'm finding McCready's thoughtless, speedy, noodling unbearable on this track especially. Such a missed opportunity.

Plus, he's got so many thoughtful, brilliant solos under his belt which totally elevate the songs - I guess he just needs to be reined in by a good producer to actually think about the noise he's making.
    Give it a rest.  Do you need to poison every thread with your nonsense?  We get it. You don’t like the album and have nothing better to do but bring everyone down.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    Over analyzing Rock n Roll guitar solos is not very Rock n Roll
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    You know, I was just thinking that since this song is about leaving earth and going to Mars, they should make a video similar to DTE for it. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 364
    Upon my first listen to this song, my very first thought about the outro was that it was building up and building up, then all of a sudden it stops...quick escape
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    This is a great fucking tune.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 364
    This is a great fucking tune.
    Fuck ya
  • Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:

Give it a rest.  Do you need to poison every thread with your nonsense?  We get it. You don’t like the album and have nothing better to do but bring everyone down.
    "Poison"?

It's a thread about a specific song, in a forum. And I've given it a thumbs up, bar a single element. If that "brings you down" you've got bigger problems than me.

Just 'cause we're all fans doesn't mean this place would be better off as some sickly echo-chamber.
  • Options
    WEAPONX24WEAPONX24 Posts: 131
    Best song on the album....and it ain’t even close. Wish there would have been a lot more of tunes like that on there. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,064
    My favorite on the album!  Great song that may end up being one of my favorite PJ songs as time passes. 
  • Options
    marjenmarjen CT Posts: 804
    I have loved this song since first listen. But damn as I really dissect it, what a song on SO many levels. Just talking about the last minute or two, at first I was like wow what a solo by mike. But hell no, Matt is killing it on the drums and Jeff gets a moment to shine as well. It absolutely ROCKS at the end of this song. Such good play by all members, plays the rest of the song is great as well. Truly might be the best song for me since Evolution.
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 900
    The song is the epitome of an instant classic
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I'm generally here for the lyrics, first and foremost. But my God the final minute and a half of this song might be my favorite 90-second PJ instrumental ever. Aside from Mike, those bass runs are absolutely insane. 

Also, the lyrics are very good. 

This is a very good song.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    I wonder how much Heaven and Hell (JAs solo album) influenced Gigaton?  This song has elements that remind me of it. 
  • Options
    Quick Escape is creeping up as a PJ classic for me. Damn it’s so fucking good!  It may end up being with the greats over time. And yeah...that last 90 sec...wow
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Quick Escape is creeping up as a PJ classic for me. Damn it’s so fucking good!  It may end up being with the greats over time. And yeah...that last 90 sec...wow

Agreed. You can tell they spent a lot of time on the track.

"Quick Escape," a multi-riff monster of a song with a thick, Led Zeppelin-like swagger that thuds and lilts on the impressively propulsive bass-drum-guitar interplay. While this track evokes the "in the room" feel of all five guys looking each other in the eyes as they lock into this massive groove, the truth behind’s its creation is that it was far more a construction than a channeling. In fact, the first time that all five guys actually played “Quick Escape” all together in the same place was during rehearsal for their upcoming tour.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    Jammin909 said:

Agreed. You can tell they spent a lot of time on the track.

"Quick Escape," a multi-riff monster of a song with a thick, Led Zeppelin-like swagger that thuds and lilts on the impressively propulsive bass-drum-guitar interplay. While this track evokes the "in the room" feel of all five guys looking each other in the eyes as they lock into this massive groove, the truth behind’s its creation is that it was far more a construction than a channeling. In fact, the first time that all five guys actually played “Quick Escape” all together in the same place was during rehearsal for their upcoming tour.
    Yup. That’s why I said in another thread this seems like such a collaborative effort on this record Other than Comes Then Goes (which is obviously just Ed). So much depth to Gigaton. 
  • Options
    I'm shocked radio isn't playiing Quick Escape.  If the Foo Fighters released it as a single it would easily be #1 on all rock formats.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    vedpunk said:
    I'm shocked radio isn't playiing Quick Escape.  If the Foo Fighters released it as a single it would easily be #1 on all rock formats.

WMMR in Philly just played it during a lunch block. sounded awesome on the radio
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    vedpunk said:
    Would’ve been if PJ released or as the first single. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    CridderCridder Posts: 165
    Why the Fuck BoB in this track and album 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,855
    vedpunk said:
    I'm shocked radio isn't playing Quick Escape.  If the Foo Fighters released it as a single it would easily be #1 on all rock formats.

I'm shocked too. They totally need to be playing this song on the airwaves.
  • Options
    Over 1 million views on Youtube.  I hope it gets released to radio.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    This should've been the 2nd single. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Great fucking song! 
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    I think it should have been the 1st and DotC should have been 2nd. A “look what we can still do!” song followed by a “but also we do this now!” song. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,938
    RiotZact said:
    I think it should have been the 1st and DotC should have been 2nd. A “look what we can still do!” song followed by a “but also we do this now!” song. 
    Agree with this! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    RiotZact said:
    Agree 100%
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com