Options

How has your life changed?

Comments

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    hedonist said:
    I noticed the discarded gloves thing too here.  And people suddenly not cleaning up their dogs' shit.

It's like some use this as an excuse to let their asshole flag fly!
    Yup, the dog shit. It's everywhere in my neighborhood.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    hedonist said:

Just a simple trip for some weekend grocery shopping.

Put my mask on, grab a few pairs of gloves, and a can of Lysol.

Arrive at the store to see maybe 0nly 20 people in line, each 6 feet apart. Of course I am arriving at store 10 minutes before they open, because who knows what the store will be like 2 hours after they open. Grab my cart, thanking the lady who I just watched disinfect the hell out of it. I rub my hands, with gloves on, under the sanitizer dispenser, because now I sanitize my hands under EVERY dispenser I come upon, and have for 3 weeks now.  I quickly realize there are no cleaning supplies of any kind, so off I go to get some food. I am going to make my wife and I some lasagna for the week. She will have it for her lunches, and I will bring some and stock my truck for the week. A couple more times of sanitizing my hands, I go to the checkout. The young lady behind the counter, who has seen me for 10 years, has her gloves and mask on, plus there is now plexiglass separating us. I pay with a card, because I no longer use cash, and haven't for 3 weeks. I get to my car and grab the can of Lysol. I proceed to Lysol the fuck out of every bag and most of the groceries. My hamburger and chicken are tied up in the bag, and then the bag is Lysoled. Groceries are put in the car. I arrive at home, with new gloves on, and proceed to put groceries on my porch. I walk back to my car and proceed to Lysol the fuck out of my car. Then I proceed to Lysol the fuck out of myself.  The groceries are brought in to the house, where everything is introduced to Clorox wipes. I let everything sit on the counter for a while.  In the meantime I strip all my clothes off, down to the basement they go. I shower, put on fresh clothes, make it back to the kitchen to put groceries away.

JUST A SIMPLE TRIP TO TH GROCERY STORE.

That was exhausting simply for me to read, let alone you actually doing it. 

Diligent work on your part. 
    Very diligent. I'm noticing a small uptick in gloves and masks being discarded on sidewalks by me.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    In about an hour, the last two book orders I received before shutting down QC will go out and my little book business will be shut down for I don't know how long.  My other jobs (The Bookery and my vinyl business) are already goners (at least for now- possibly for good), so today means the end of work for me.  The disconnect is that I know this is how it must be and that sheltering ion place is the right thing to do, but I also know not having a job is going to hurt financially and psychologically.  I need to find something useful to do- quick!
    Discogs account? Ebay sales?  Mail still runs.......

I thought about selling LPs through Discogs but because they are all at the bookstore, I decided that would be more trouble than its worth (although a couple of times we put a few rare things on eBay that sold).  My on-line books sell through biblio.com and I put the entire inventory on hold when this virus thing broke out.  Not a day goes by that I don't consider putting them back up but that would mean more trips out to the post office and what I do is non-essential.  My wife and I are older and somewhat at risk plus we're complying with the stay at home recommendation because that's our one tiny way of helping get this thing under control.  So for now, I'm out of a job. 

But no complaints.  There are people out there in much worse shape.  I saw some guy on TV who is an Uber driver talking about being down to his last $65 and getting no work.  It's getting really tough already for some folks out there.  Very sad situation.
    I can buy some KISS and Neil Young.

Very kind of you, thanks.  I think I have one KISS LP and a few Neil's in my inventory at the store but I really am staying home and away from the post office but when this is all over, I'll let you know what I have for sale.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    hedonist said:

Arrive at the store to see maybe 0nly 20 people in line, each 6 feet apart. Of course I am arriving at store 10 minutes before they open, because who knows what the store will be like 2 hours after they open. Grab my cart, thanking the lady who I just watched disinfect the hell out of it. I rub my hands, with gloves on, under the sanitizer dispenser, because now I sanitize my hands under EVERY dispenser I come upon, and have for 3 weeks now.  I quickly realize there are no cleaning supplies of any kind, so off I go to get some food. I am going to make my wife and I some lasagna for the week. She will have it for her lunches, and I will bring some and stock my truck for the week. A couple more times of sanitizing my hands, I go to the checkout. The young lady behind the counter, who has seen me for 10 years, has her gloves and mask on, plus there is now plexiglass separating us. I pay with a card, because I no longer use cash, and haven't for 3 weeks. I get to my car and grab the can of Lysol. I proceed to Lysol the fuck out of every bag and most of the groceries. My hamburger and chicken are tied up in the bag, and then the bag is Lysoled. Groceries are put in the car. I arrive at home, with new gloves on, and proceed to put groceries on my porch. I walk back to my car and proceed to Lysol the fuck out of my car. Then I proceed to Lysol the fuck out of myself.  The groceries are brought in to the house, where everything is introduced to Clorox wipes. I let everything sit on the counter for a while.  In the meantime I strip all my clothes off, down to the basement they go. I shower, put on fresh clothes, make it back to the kitchen to put groceries away.

Very diligent. I'm noticing a small uptick in gloves and masks being discarded on sidewalks by me.

HEY!!

How you holding up?

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    hedonist said:

HEY!!

How you holding up?

I'm all right. I have a few jobs where I can work from home, so I do that. When I'm not doing that, just helping out the parents on various things. I've cleared out a lot on the DVR, listened to Gigaton a few times and play a lot of Strat-O-Matic baseball on the computer while also reading a few books in my queue. Glad to hear you're doing well.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,075
    Glad to hear you all seem to be doing ok. I actually have some positives from my neighborhood. I live in SAINT LOUIS county and my neighborhood has been great. I’m not working so I’ve been walking/running my dog everyday. Lots of neighbors out but all practicing social distancing being very friendly from a far. Many have texted and we are all taking care of the elderly here. I picked up some things for my elderly neighbor when I went to the store. He’s older, alone and scared to leave his house. And oh yeah...I’ve noticed no dog shit at all on my walks. Everyone is being respectful and helpful. Just nice to see our small community doing good during these dark times. Take care everyone 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    random act of kindness saturday....

back side of the card in an obvious childs handwriting we're in this together....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Inconsequential, I know, but I find myself wiped out by the evening more than usual. And initially falling asleep takes a good hour or more most nights. 

Sign of the times...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    hedonist said:
    Inconsequential, I know, but I find myself wiped out by the evening more than usual. And initially falling asleep takes a good hour or more most nights. 

Sign of the times...
    Same here.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    mickeyrat said:
    random act of kindness saturday....

back side of the card in an obvious childs handwriting we're in this together....
    Nice!
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    23scidoo said:
    I'm tottaly fucked Speedy..the restaurant that i work is closed for 12th days now and don't see it open before early May..state's money will come after 10 April..my last payment it was in 16th of March, 180 dollars..i know many other people in same shit, some of them with kids, staying home with no money..depression will exploid in next days..
    gods help us a

How are things going?

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,521
    23scidoo said:
    I'm tottaly fucked Speedy..the restaurant that i work is closed for 12th days now and don't see it open before early May..state's money will come after 10 April..my last payment it was in 16th of March, 180 dollars..i know many other people in same shit, some of them with kids, staying home with no money..depression will exploid in next days..
    gods help us a

How are things going?

Nothing change here..almost a month inside..try to stay insane..lol
    btw, your wife is very brave..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    AKRounder85AKRounder85 Phila Posts: 250
    edited April 2020
    Commute has been great without all these non-essentials getting in my way.

With exercise and proper proportions, I'm down 5 lbs since this started. Fridge holds enough food for a month. Spending a ton less money on B.S.

As long as the grocery stores continue to have food, I can do this quarantine thing all year.
    Post edited by AKRounder85 on
    2000- 9/1 Camden
    2003- 4/28 Philly, 7/5 Camden
    2005- 10/3 Philly
    2006- 5/27 Camden, 5/28 Camden, 6/3 East Rutherford
    2008- 6/19 Camden, 6/20 Camden
    2009- 10/29 Philly, 10/28 Philly, 10/30 Philly, 10/31 Philly
    2012- 9/2 Made In America
    2013- 10/21 Philly, 10/22 Philly
    2016- 4/28 Philly, 4/29 Philly
    Wishlist: Thumbing My Way, Black Red Yellow, Sleight of Hand
  • Options
    edited April 2020

With exercise and proper proportions, I'm down 5 lbs since this started. Fridge holds enough food for a month. Spending a ton less money on B.S.

As long as the grocery stores continue to have food, I can do this quarantine thing all year.

I don't think you wrote this with the intention of disparaging people who work "non-essential" jobs and I'm glad for you that you're doing well, but keep in mind, some of us miss going to records stores, book stores, libraries, musical instrument stores, museums, state and national parks, cultural centers, counseling centers, gyms, swimming pools, hobby shops of all kinds, school, and so forth- all things that employ people in places that feed the soul, mind, and body.

I miss the hell out of my job.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    AKRounder85AKRounder85 Phila Posts: 250
    brianlux said:
    AKRounder85 said: mo

I don't think you wrote this with the intention of disparaging people who work "non-essential" jobs and I'm glad for you that you're doing well, but keep in mind, some of us miss going to records stores, book stores, libraries, musical instrument stores, museums, state and national parks, cultural centers, counseling centers, gyms, swimming pools, hobby shops of all kinds, school, and so forth- all things that employ people in places that feed the soul, mind, and body.

My bad. I'm sure you'll be back at it by July. I dont think this is gunna last too long.
    2000- 9/1 Camden
    2003- 4/28 Philly, 7/5 Camden
    2005- 10/3 Philly
    2006- 5/27 Camden, 5/28 Camden, 6/3 East Rutherford
    2008- 6/19 Camden, 6/20 Camden
    2009- 10/29 Philly, 10/28 Philly, 10/30 Philly, 10/31 Philly
    2012- 9/2 Made In America
    2013- 10/21 Philly, 10/22 Philly
    2016- 4/28 Philly, 4/29 Philly
    Wishlist: Thumbing My Way, Black Red Yellow, Sleight of Hand
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited April 2020
    Its always on my mind the struggle that thousands upon thousands even just in my state alone are going through, but this is how its affecting me.    

-Fortunate that im working from home and not being exposed.  Respect to all those who have to face the public.  

-Blessed that i get to see my wife and our youngest kid for 9 hours more than I usually do on any weekday (thats a gift). 

-the wife and I are doing home projects that we’ve been meaning to do.  Small ones and massive ones.  We'll have contractors on the property for the next two weeks i think.   (All contact by phone calls in between windows). So we’re definitely helping the local economy.  Lol

I miss restaurants, record stores, and the gym but that all seems a little silly to say

Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,916
    edited April 2020
    I just scored two rolls of paper towels at my corner bodega and scooped them right up. I was very excited about that. So I would say that the things that excite me now are much different than before. I never thought buying paper towels would actually make my day, nor did I ever think I would use the phrase “I just scored paper towels” :)
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Hahaha
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    edited April 2020
    MF117973 said:
    I just scored two rolls of paper towels at my corner bodega and scooped them right up. I was very excited about that. So I would say that the things that excite me now are much different than before. I never thought buying paper towels would actually make my day, nor did I ever think I would use the phrase “I just scored paper towels” :)
    I did a few times. First it was paper towels, 2 pack. and store brand napkins.
    6 pack of tp last week. and a couple weeks ago , scored some ben and jerrys butter pecan at target...   our usual store was wiped out of ice cream.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    AKRounder85 said: mo

My bad. I'm sure you'll be back at it by July. I dont think this is gunna last too long.

No worries, and thanks AK.  Maybe July- that would be cool.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Before covid-19 I had friends here, now I no longer do.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,311
    Spoke to a director of perfusion yesterday he flat out said summer is all but done here in NY , without proper testing or vaccines we won’t get better in this matter the hospital I work in is just about all covid19 over 600 patients, and even if you needed to have surgery you’d be taking a giant gamble of contracting the virus! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,311
    Things are not going back to normal in this work environment for a long time!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Spoke to a director of perfusion yesterday he flat out said summer is all but done here in NY , without proper testing or vaccines we won’t get better in this matter the hospital I work in is just about all covid19 over 600 patients, and even if you needed to have surgery you’d be taking a giant gamble of contracting the virus! 

Things would sure be better if they ramped up spending on testing.  But oh, wait, we need to give that money to the poor starving millionaires!

• Options
    brianlux said:

Things would sure be better if they ramped up spending on testing.  But oh, wait, we need to give that money to the poor starving millionaires!
    I suspect the New York on pause and other neighboring states hiatus will go beyond May 15. At this point, I'm preparing for July 1 at the earliest. Going in, I suspected June 1 at the earliest but based on the information Jose provided I'm changing my mind. That being said, for some reason, the days seem to go by a little faster of late. I'm not sure why that is, I suspect because I'm used to this since it's been a little over a month.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I’ll be your friend
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:

16 million is small business lol
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    static111 said:
    I’ll be your friend
    Not for long, like most people here.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I suspect the New York on pause and other neighboring states hiatus will go beyond May 15. At this point, I'm preparing for July 1 at the earliest. Going in, I suspected June 1 at the earliest but based on the information Jose provided I'm changing my mind. That being said, for some reason, the days seem to go by a little faster of late. I'm not sure why that is, I suspect because I'm used to this since it's been a little over a month.

My days seem to fly by as well which is weird because time usually flies when I'm having fun or really busy and I haven't done much of either lately!  Maybe I'm spacing out too much?