Unsolicited Opinion from a 27-year member

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Just a couple of observations and comments. Thanks in advance for reading -

*I joined the club in the fall of 1993, after high school graduation, and it has been very, very good to me - from front-row tickets to my very first Pearl Jam show at the Masonic Temple in my native Detroit in the spring of 1994, to great seats as my wife and I followed them around the country during the 2006 Avocado tour, to the last time they played Detroit - 2014, at the old Joe Louis Arena. The fact that this club even exists blows my mind - what could I possibly have done to deserve such good fortune? Remain loyal, I suppose. I missed out on tickets for this upcoming tour because life, as it often does, became a distraction. I tried, like many of you, for the public onsale, only to be shut out of that silly dance, as well. I'll see what I can swing on the fan exchange, but if I miss out again, life will go on for me and I will wait until next time. However....

*...people who say they were "gutted," "devastated," "crushed," etc because they did not get tickets for the North American tour - these reactions may seem overly dramatic and over-the-top, but try to remember everyone leads a unique life with its own ups and downs, and its own anchor for salvation. Maybe Pearl Jam is all they have. I heard people bagging on Laker fans crying about Kobe outside Staples Center, and it's a similar thing. We haven't walked in those people's shoes, so please try to go easy on them. Yes, some of them may actually be entitled spoiled brats, but the point is, we don't know. We don't have to hold their hands and console them, but we don't have to punch them in the face, either. I don't believe social media and online communication has made us more cruel - it has just given a megaphone to our cruelty - so hopefully we can all do better, including and especially me.

*I sometimes wonder why the Ten Club even bothers with offering tickets to fan club members. It must be an absolute logistical nightmare. And then, after all the work, they get overwhelmed with forum posts and emails from people whose problem could likely have been solved had they just actually read the extremely thorough information that was sent out to them. As a paying customer, you have every right to demand quality service, but when I read some of the demands and complaints on this board, it worries me that one day they will just throw their hands up and decide it's not worth it anymore.

*I often read newer members say that just because they have only been in the club for x amount of years does not make them less of a fan than someone who has been in the club for a greater x amount of years. Wrong. That's exactly what it means. And that's why the club has bent over backwards to make seniority an important part of the overall equation. In fact, that is exactly what seniority means - it's a hierarchy based on loyalty towards brand and product. So when someone says - "But it's not my fault! I just discovered them a year ago and I deserve the same thing as the senior members," I have to just laugh and say "No, you don't...not on any level."

*Thanks for reading. Much appreciated. Enjoy the new tunes.

Well said, friend

-26 yr member

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• hedonist said:
    As an ‘old’ fan (91 at CY Stevens in Ames IA row 4) and an older member here I think the seniority thing has run its course.  Sorry to those that disagree but it is a huge pain I bet selecting seats based on that.  And to automatically penalize someone who is younger and a fan seems odd just because they were born in a different time.  Perhaps there will be a better way in the future as they wind their career down.  Who knows.  Maybe I am softer because I saw them up front in their prime and traveling around a bunch doesn’t fit my life anymore....rather do other stuff quite frankly.  And I don’t see the need to see them 10-20 times per tour (never have understood that frankly).  But I love seeing them once or twice per tour if it fits my schedule.  I guess I would like to see others get the chance rather than seniority being the sole reason.

Flame away!
    Not a flame, but the seniority applies to seat location only. I’m pretty sure there’s no conspiracy to withhold tickets to some based on their age :confounded:
    Oh I get that.  Just thinking they could sprinkle in some for the newer people for each show or something.  Seats closer.  The squatters rights thing seems a little meh now to me.

I let my U2 lapse and will not rejoins that one some 4-5 years ago.  PJ is my #1 though so......  But who knows which one is next as I age.  

"Sprinkle in some" better seats for newer people? They already offer GA for which everyone has an equal chance to land a ticket. For shows without GA, they randomly distribute the seats in the 1st, 2nd, 9th & 10th rows. Do you think they should do more? If so, then where do they start & stop with this?  

What about the people who have been in the club since the late 2000s? Do you "sprinkle in some" better seats for us? What about someone who joined in 2012? Or 2014? Do you only worry about people who joined in the last 2 years? 4 years?

How would giving a better seat to someone who joined last year be fair to all the people who have been told for all these years that sticking with the club has its benefits?

Your idea of fairness is unfair to others who have followed the rules and kept up with their dues all these years.

As someone else suggested, you should start a trend by letting your membership lapse.

Give some "newer people" a chance at better seats. Put your money where your mouth is.

All me lapsing does is give someone with a number closer to me a better seat.  It literally does nothing about what I suggested but I am sure you and the other poster thought that one out.  Obviously not.

I get the benefit of seniority too but man.... just a suggestion.  Not asking to bang your wife.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,665
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    I agree mostly, but not everyone had the means or were in situations that prevented them from maintaining their TC membership over the years. Please don't start with I've been a TC member longer so I'm a bigger/better fan. 
    The fan club doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Having said that I think the majority have looked at seniority purely from a ticketing standpoint and the opportunity for better seats if seniority was maintained. That shouldn’t change. Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level.
    There is nothing more precious that we can give than our time.  Sure there are other measures of fandom, but to think that seniority (i.e. loyalty over time) says nothing about one's fandom level, is frankly ridiculous.

Some people have given the band plenty of their time, but maybe not their money, for various reasons. To quote the OP, "try to remember everyone leads a unique life with its own ups and downs".

I'm fine with seniority for seats. I can make excuses for why I let my membership lapse, but that's not important. What sticks in my craw are the people who think they deserve tickets over me because they were able to maintain their membership for longer, or joined when I was listening to Pearl Jam every day, but didn't even know the fan club existed. If that person want to tell me that they deserved 2nd row at Fenway over me, I won't argue. If they got shut out of Nashville, and try to tell me they deserve tickets more than me? Nope.
    Everyone does lead a unique life, some prioritized 10C, some did not.  For those that made 10C a priority, they can prove their loyalty and support, those who did not prioritize 10C can not. There is no "proof of support" form you can file.   It doesn't matter if you say you've listened to Vitology non-stop on repeat for the last 25 years, we'd just have to take your word for it.

Maybe we should worry less about "proving" our fandom?
    Maybe you should.  Maybe you should also tell that to the guy I was responding to who said "Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level."  Clearly it does, which was my point.
    Yes, I read your point, which is why I responded to you, as I disagree with you. What is the purpose of trying to prove you're a "bigger" fan than someone else on here?
    Again... ask the guy concerned with proving the size of their fandom, not the guy questioning his system of measurement.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    I agree mostly, but not everyone had the means or were in situations that prevented them from maintaining their TC membership over the years. Please don't start with I've been a TC member longer so I'm a bigger/better fan. 
    The fan club doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Having said that I think the majority have looked at seniority purely from a ticketing standpoint and the opportunity for better seats if seniority was maintained. That shouldn’t change. Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level.
    There is nothing more precious that we can give than our time.  Sure there are other measures of fandom, but to think that seniority (i.e. loyalty over time) says nothing about one's fandom level, is frankly ridiculous.

Some people have given the band plenty of their time, but maybe not their money, for various reasons. To quote the OP, "try to remember everyone leads a unique life with its own ups and downs".

I'm fine with seniority for seats. I can make excuses for why I let my membership lapse, but that's not important. What sticks in my craw are the people who think they deserve tickets over me because they were able to maintain their membership for longer, or joined when I was listening to Pearl Jam every day, but didn't even know the fan club existed. If that person want to tell me that they deserved 2nd row at Fenway over me, I won't argue. If they got shut out of Nashville, and try to tell me they deserve tickets more than me? Nope.
    Everyone does lead a unique life, some prioritized 10C, some did not.  For those that made 10C a priority, they can prove their loyalty and support, those who did not prioritize 10C can not. There is no "proof of support" form you can file.   It doesn't matter if you say you've listened to Vitology non-stop on repeat for the last 25 years, we'd just have to take your word for it.

Maybe you should.  Maybe you should also tell that to the guy I was responding to who said "Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level."  Clearly it does, which was my point.
    Yes, I read your point, which is why I responded to you, as I disagree with you. What is the purpose of trying to prove you're a "bigger" fan than someone else on here?
    Again... ask the guy concerned with proving the size of their fandom, not the guy questioning his system of measurement.

Do you mean 100 Pacer, who said, "Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level"? I'm not sure what I would ask him, as I didn't take his comment to mean that he had some other system of measurement for determining True Fandom Level. On the other hand, someone arguing that seniority is a valid measurement seems to imply that they think that measuring fandom is a worthwhile pursuit, and that piques my interest.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • RobZRobZ Posts: 181
    FWIW.........
    -I've been a fan of PJ from literally from day 1.
    -I'm a fan of many, MANY, other bands.
    -I ONLY joined 10C in 2018 because tix were getting so hard/expensive to come by...I'm 2 for 2 in the lottery, and can't complain about seat locations.
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• hedonist said:
    As an ‘old’ fan (91 at CY Stevens in Ames IA row 4) and an older member here I think the seniority thing has run its course.  Sorry to those that disagree but it is a huge pain I bet selecting seats based on that.  And to automatically penalize someone who is younger and a fan seems odd just because they were born in a different time.  Perhaps there will be a better way in the future as they wind their career down.  Who knows.  Maybe I am softer because I saw them up front in their prime and traveling around a bunch doesn’t fit my life anymore....rather do other stuff quite frankly.  And I don’t see the need to see them 10-20 times per tour (never have understood that frankly).  But I love seeing them once or twice per tour if it fits my schedule.  I guess I would like to see others get the chance rather than seniority being the sole reason.

Flame away!
    Not a flame, but the seniority applies to seat location only. I’m pretty sure there’s no conspiracy to withhold tickets to some based on their age :confounded:
    Oh I get that.  Just thinking they could sprinkle in some for the newer people for each show or something.  Seats closer.  The squatters rights thing seems a little meh now to me.

I let my U2 lapse and will not rejoins that one some 4-5 years ago.  PJ is my #1 though so......  But who knows which one is next as I age.  

"Sprinkle in some" better seats for newer people? They already offer GA for which everyone has an equal chance to land a ticket. For shows without GA, they randomly distribute the seats in the 1st, 2nd, 9th & 10th rows. Do you think they should do more? If so, then where do they start & stop with this?  

What about the people who have been in the club since the late 2000s? Do you "sprinkle in some" better seats for us? What about someone who joined in 2012? Or 2014? Do you only worry about people who joined in the last 2 years? 4 years?

How would giving a better seat to someone who joined last year be fair to all the people who have been told for all these years that sticking with the club has its benefits?

Your idea of fairness is unfair to others who have followed the rules and kept up with their dues all these years.

As someone else suggested, you should start a trend by letting your membership lapse.

Give some "newer people" a chance at better seats. Put your money where your mouth is.

All me lapsing does is give someone with a number closer to me a better seat.  It literally does nothing about what I suggested but I am sure you and the other poster thought that one out.  Obviously not.

I get the benefit of seniority too but man.... just a suggestion.  Not asking to bang your wife.

I understand it was just a suggestion, a suggestion to which I think I raised some valid points about why your suggestion doesn't make sense or is unfair:

"They already offer GA for which everyone has an equal chance to land a ticket. For shows without GA, they randomly distribute the seats in the 1st, 2nd, 9th & 10th rows. Do you think they should do more? If so, then where do they start & stop with this?  

Your idea of fairness is unfair to others who have followed the rules and kept up with their dues all these years."

Is "not asking to bang your wife" really the best response you can come up with?

• RobZRobZ Posts: 181
    What the 10C should do is auction off all those "lapsed and expired" numbers for charity...I'd buy one!
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    Someone already pointed out, but worth saying again. 10C won't do away with seniority because is the only incentive to not let your membership lapse. 
  • RobZ said:
    What the 10C should do is auction off all those "lapsed and expired" numbers for charity...I'd buy one!
    Charity is great but that's not really rewarding seniority then, is it?
  • mace1229 said:
    Someone already pointed out, but worth saying again. 10C won't do away with seniority because is the only incentive to not let your membership lapse. 
    Well, that is working on me.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • RobZ said:
    Charity is great but that's not really rewarding seniority then, is it?
    But it does create more of the "best" fans.  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mace1229 said:
    Well, that is working on me.  

lol
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

Do you mean 100 Pacer, who said, "Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level"? I'm not sure what I would ask him, as I didn't take his comment to mean that he had some other system of measurement for determining True Fandom Level. On the other hand, someone arguing that seniority is a valid measurement seems to imply that they think that measuring fandom is a worthwhile pursuit, and that piques my interest.
    You tell me who it was, while you are back there looking, I suggest you read the entire thread.... slowly.  His statement implies that something else does say something about one's fandom level.  Or his statement would have looked more like this: "Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level, nothing does, no attribute or attributes can be corelated to PJ fandom."  I'm trying to understand what he thinks is a better measure of fandom, and if I understand his system of measurement, I might understand why he cares so much.  Pointing out the reality that seniority is a valid attribute of fandom that is quantifiable and measurable is just someone pointing out the obvious.

What is this "True" fandom level you, and only you, keep bringing up.   How do you measure it? 
    Is this different than one's regular old fandom level? 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,902
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

You tell me who it was, while you are back there looking, I suggest you read the entire thread.... slowly.  His statement implies that something else does say something about one's fandom level.  Or his statement would have looked more like this: "Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level, nothing does, no attribute or attributes can be corelated to PJ fandom."  I'm trying to understand what he thinks is a better measure of fandom, and if I understand his system of measurement, I might understand why he cares so much.  Pointing out the reality that seniority is a valid attribute of fandom that is quantifiable and measurable is just someone pointing out the obvious.

What is this "True" fandom level you, and only you, keep bringing up.   How do you measure it?  Is this different than one's regular old fandom level? 
    What I find fascinating about your posts, whether in this thread or threads where you’ve long criticized 10C for switching to the lottery system, is your “me first” mentality. You don’t make excuses for it or pretend to hide which is commendable but what I’ve long appreciated about this message board and fan community is the “we’re all in this together” mentality. When the band dropped tickets I like you never lost out and when 10C switched over to the lottery system I lost out only to end up in GA thanks to this community. I couldn’t care less when someone joined the fan club as we all have an equal shot in the lottery and while I’m definitely passionate about the band and its’ music live I’m well aware there are plenty of younger fans who haven’t seen them as often who are more passionate and deserve the same shot at tickets. Once tickets are allocated I know my seniority is rewarded. Seniority says nothing about one’s fandom level, it represents an arbitrary date and time a person chose to activate a membership. My membership number is 131,XXX and if your number is higher than mine I deserve better seats than you but if I’m not wanting to hear Black live any time soon while perhaps that song resonates strongly for you and you lose your mind over it live we’re neither or us better or worse as far as the band is concerned...pretty sure our attention and energy is all appreciated. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • I just think that sometimes all this seniority talk gets in the way of positive fan bonding and connection over a great band's music

I like the methods 10C have been using for this tour, even speaking as someone who let their number lapse and didn't get as good seats as some others (I mean the seats are still good though lol thanks 10C).  But man, there seems to be more talk over this than the music - and we are all here because of the music. 
  • I see everyone’s point on here, but have a very slight lean towards one side in one aspect.  I get that life happens. I agree that it’s hard to show or prove “fandom “.  However , I have to side slightly with seniority sort of proves it , IF the “ years” you claim to be a fan is the same as someone you’re comparing with. Life does hit all of us. Chances are you’ll get hit with MORE as you age. So if someone claiming 20-25+ years has still found a way to keep 10C involved and up to date, that shows a level of commitment. 
     I’m not disrespecting any issues life may have dealt some or all of you. I’m also not claiming my life has been worse. I can say that the last 10-12 years have been extremely hard. Without a life story , let’s just say not one friend my age has seemed to be dealt the unfortunate blows I have. Yet some how ,  some way I have always kept my 10C membership . This band is so important to me that even in the worst of circumstances I found a way. I’m someone who can’t get up and go to half dozen shows or travel around. I get one or two shows in a region and pray for the best.  
     That said my apology for any misconceptions that came from someone you took as  “entitled “seniority when I do vent. I’m a “ VENTER “ but I get it. I could have the pity party and think how I’ve been so loyal through thick and thin and denied again 2 tickets to one show. This show being much more meaningful than any of the last 10 years , and I’m 0-3 last 3 lotteries , etc. I think anyone would vent a little though ,no ? However it was never intended to say I BELONG  there more than anybody else. It’s just wishing for a bit of reciprocation for all those times when life was beating you into submission and felt like giving up . That there was enough focus and effort plus paying dues just for a chance to “ PAY” to see them play again someday. Then that day comes and you’re left out ? That’s going to sting anyone in that situation. After a day or two your frustration gives way to clarity and understanding. I’m just grateful a new CD is out and hope they come back in the fall.
    I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired..
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    edited February 2020
    A few things here
    For those of you saying “how did you not know there was a 10Club?”  
    I have been a fan since my father accidentally got me Ten with my first CD Boombox back in December 92 (along with Metallica Black and Boyz II Men!!). I got Vs. on CD the day it was released the next year followed by Vitalogy, No Code (still remember telling my friend, and current member, that Off He Goes fucking amazing, I was 16 years old and that song hit hard) and Yield all on the day they were released at Spring Hill Mall, nothing inside those CDs said “hey join our fan club.” We grew up in a very blue collar NW suburb of Chicago. We never had internet at my high school. First time I ever was “online” was when my older brother brought home a Compaq computer he spent a week’s pay on and spent a day trying to hook it up to AOL so he could watch the Pamela Anderson Tommy Lee video. That was the first time I saw the internet, it was 1999. I joined 10 Club in November that year after fucking around online for months, kinda like an old person on a smartphone, and I found the fan club one day.
    Anyway, that doesn’t make me a lesser fan because I joined in November 99 and you joined in March 94 or a bigger fan than you if you joined yesterday. We all found the music and loved it, and all had different lives prior to this website.
    That being said I’ve been on the field at Wrigley twice (thank you 10Club), I’ve won rail tickets when the first 2 rows were complete lottery (thank you 10Club), sat in the last row in the top deck at San Diego Sports Arena in 2003 and I’ve been to almost 30 shows total, only half via 10Club tickets. When I saw Ed in 2011 I was just promised 2 tickets in the building (thank you 10Club) and I actually got upset when I saw an old roommate, non-member, 5 rows ahead of me. She bought tickets through Ticketmaster the day of the sale and never heard of the band until I roomed with her in college.
    So yeah my point is, Fuck it, you may have become a fanatic yesterday and literally know more about the band than me but when it comes to seat allotments once you get verified tickets, seniority all the fucking way. 
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

What is this "True" fandom level you, and only you, keep bringing up.   How do you measure it? 
    Is this different than one's regular old fandom level? 

I'm not back "anywhere" looking, just reading the quoted posts in our conversation. Again, I'm not interested in his point. I take issue with your point about seniority. Yes, seniority is quantifiable. What is less so is a person's "fandom". I do not feel that using one to make assumptions about the other is valid. I may have misinterpreted your posts as you arguing that you do this, and if so, I apologize for that.

On the phrase "True Fandom Level", it was a reference to Yankees fans back in the early 2000s who would discuss whether or not a given player was a "True Yankee". It's a ludicrous concept, but there are posters here who seem to think they're bigger/better (i.e. "Truer") fans because of a variety of reasons, chief of which is amount of time they've been in the 10C.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    100 Pacer said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

What is this "True" fandom level you, and only you, keep bringing up.   How do you measure it?  Is this different than one's regular old fandom level? 
    What I find fascinating about your posts, whether in this thread or threads where you’ve long criticized 10C for switching to the lottery system, is your “me first” mentality. You don’t make excuses for it or pretend to hide which is commendable but what I’ve long appreciated about this message board and fan community is the “we’re all in this together” mentality. When the band dropped tickets I like you never lost out and when 10C switched over to the lottery system I lost out only to end up in GA thanks to this community. I couldn’t care less when someone joined the fan club as we all have an equal shot in the lottery and while I’m definitely passionate about the band and its’ music live I’m well aware there are plenty of younger fans who haven’t seen them as often who are more passionate and deserve the same shot at tickets. Once tickets are allocated I know my seniority is rewarded. Seniority says nothing about one’s fandom level, it represents an arbitrary date and time a person chose to activate a membership. My membership number is 131,XXX and if your number is higher than mine I deserve better seats than you but if I’m not wanting to hear Black live any time soon while perhaps that song resonates strongly for you and you lose your mind over it live we’re neither or us better or worse as far as the band is concerned...pretty sure our attention and energy is all appreciated. 
    That's certainly an... interesting... and completely backwards opinion.  My mentality is that effort should be rewarded, and if someone wants to put out more effort than me, so be it.   The person who camped out all night should get the rail, the person who is willing to hit F5 for an hour and enlist an army of friends to help should get the tickets.   A lottery is a "me first" mentality, for someone happy to get something for nothing, as long as they don't have to put forth any effort in the process.

If seniority says nothing about one's fandom level... what does?  Did you think people who were never PJ fans signed up for the club and maintained their membership for nearly 30 years?

mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

I'm not back "anywhere" looking, just reading the quoted posts in our conversation. Again, I'm not interested in his point. I take issue with your point about seniority. Yes, seniority is quantifiable. What is less so is a person's "fandom". I do not feel that using one to make assumptions about the other is valid. I may have misinterpreted your posts as you arguing that you do this, and if so, I apologize for that.

On the phrase "True Fandom Level", it was a reference to Yankees fans back in the early 2000s who would discuss whether or not a given player was a "True Yankee". It's a ludicrous concept, but there are posters here who seem to think they're bigger/better (i.e. "Truer") fans because of a variety of reasons, chief of which is amount of time they've been in the 10C.
    I think you misinterpreted my posts, no worries.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited February 2020
    My dog's better than your dog,
    My dog's better than yours,His name is King,
    And he had puppies,
    My dog's better than yours.

My dad's tougher than your dad,
    My dad's tougher than yours,
    My dad's tougher
    And he yells louder and
    My dad's tougher than yours.

Our car's faster than your car,
    Our car's faster than yours,
    It has a louder horn,
    It bumps other cars,
    Our car's faster than yours.

My Mom's older than your Mom,
    My Mom's older than yours,
    She takes smelly baths
    She hides the gray hairs
    My Mom's older than yours.
    --by Tom Paxton
    Post edited by rollings on
  • :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    :lol:
    I edited to credit the writer . Lol
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    edited February 2020
    I firmly occupy the middle... Fan since the first year, but didn’t pull the trigger on fan club until 2008, I’m in the 400x... (and noticed I’m 4-5 rows closer for Oak 1 than I was for Portland or Spokane few years back... curious, more side seats?) I think the GA fan club pit has been an awesome development - gotten it twice now. And gotten squat enough too and had to scramble. From the moment of my first rock concert at like 14-15 I was hooked and saw 20-30 shows every year of all kinds ... fanatically ... for 15 years. 

And then, family, job, kids ... 10 years zoomed by and I’m all, “huh, I haven’t been to a concert in awhile..” Joining 10C was like the next thing I did.  Total props to those 399K before me, thanks for supporting the band. Gave a membership to my son when he turned 18. He missed the email saying his credit card was expired and just missed this tour. That’s life, he will be the kid at Oakland in the shirt that says “I Let My 10C Membership Expire 4 Months Ago!” .... up in the nosebleeds, say hi to him, I’ll be down in my seats!

Off to see Silversun Pickups at the Fox, have a good one!
    Post edited by acutejam on
    [sic] happens
  • Just a couple of observations and comments. Thanks in advance for reading -

*I joined the club in the fall of 1993, after high school graduation, and it has been very, very good to me - from front-row tickets to my very first Pearl Jam show at the Masonic Temple in my native Detroit in the spring of 1994, to great seats as my wife and I followed them around the country during the 2006 Avocado tour, to the last time they played Detroit - 2014, at the old Joe Louis Arena. The fact that this club even exists blows my mind - what could I possibly have done to deserve such good fortune? Remain loyal, I suppose. I missed out on tickets for this upcoming tour because life, as it often does, became a distraction. I tried, like many of you, for the public onsale, only to be shut out of that silly dance, as well. I'll see what I can swing on the fan exchange, but if I miss out again, life will go on for me and I will wait until next time. However....

*...people who say they were "gutted," "devastated," "crushed," etc because they did not get tickets for the North American tour - these reactions may seem overly dramatic and over-the-top, but try to remember everyone leads a unique life with its own ups and downs, and its own anchor for salvation. Maybe Pearl Jam is all they have. I heard people bagging on Laker fans crying about Kobe outside Staples Center, and it's a similar thing. We haven't walked in those people's shoes, so please try to go easy on them. Yes, some of them may actually be entitled spoiled brats, but the point is, we don't know. We don't have to hold their hands and console them, but we don't have to punch them in the face, either. I don't believe social media and online communication has made us more cruel - it has just given a megaphone to our cruelty - so hopefully we can all do better, including and especially me.

*I sometimes wonder why the Ten Club even bothers with offering tickets to fan club members. It must be an absolute logistical nightmare. And then, after all the work, they get overwhelmed with forum posts and emails from people whose problem could likely have been solved had they just actually read the extremely thorough information that was sent out to them. As a paying customer, you have every right to demand quality service, but when I read some of the demands and complaints on this board, it worries me that one day they will just throw their hands up and decide it's not worth it anymore.

*I often read newer members say that just because they have only been in the club for x amount of years does not make them less of a fan than someone who has been in the club for a greater x amount of years. Wrong. That's exactly what it means. And that's why the club has bent over backwards to make seniority an important part of the overall equation. In fact, that is exactly what seniority means - it's a hierarchy based on loyalty towards brand and product. So when someone says - "But it's not my fault! I just discovered them a year ago and I deserve the same thing as the senior members," I have to just laugh and say "No, you don't...not on any level."

*Thanks for reading. Much appreciated. Enjoy the new tunes.

THANK YOU for saying this! These are words that have been running in my mind since the tour was announced, but I'll be honest I was too afraid to say it for fear I would be bashed on here. It has saddened me to see how harsh some of the 10C members have been to others. What happened to being kind and respecting one another? Nobody knows ANYBODY'S situation in life and why this might be so important to them. I would hate to be the one to have been a bully through my words and that be the final straw for somebody's life. I have been a member since I was 13. I turn 40 in a few months. I didn't get any tickets for this tour. I'm not gonna lie, it's been a HARD one to swallow. I have dealt with some serious health issues and for me to have an escape from it all, to find some peace and joy is through this band. So, again thank you for saying what I've wanted to say. 
    L
  • gatorjamgatorjam Posts: 187
    Good post, I couldn't afford to go to any pearl jam concerts growing up and while I went to college.  I joined the ten club in 2004.  It has worked out for me.  It always get my butt in a seat.  I appreciate everything they do, but at the end of the day it is still a business, one that has grown a lot in the recent years and keeps growing.  The 10C evolves with the times.  As long as the members get their chance to get tickets I am happy.  I was lucky enough to get tickets for this tour, but like many, did not read the emails closely enough and screwed up my selections.  But I am not gutted or angry!  I am just happy to get to go to a show!  
    2003-Tampa
    2006-East Rutherford
    2008-West Palm Beach
    2009- Philadelphia
    2016- Fort Lauderdale and Miami
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    tinz. said:
    Just a couple of observations and comments. Thanks in advance for reading -

👌well spoken
             Ditto      
                  👌well spoken 

PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    how did you join the club in 1993?  was it a mail in fan club back then?  was there an internet site back then?  i remember getting an aol account probably around 1995.  a i wish i'd known about the club sooner.  i guess you'd have to be in the right circles then to be aware of the club's existence. but I didn't purchase a computer until around 2002 or 2003.  and then it wasn't till i think 2006 i discovered the ten club.  :s
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    MR242791 said:
    how did you join the club in 1993?  was it a mail in fan club back then?  was there an internet site back then?  i remember getting an aol account probably around 1995.  a i wish i'd known about the club sooner.  i guess you'd have to be in the right circles then to be aware of the club's existence. but I didn't purchase a computer until around 2002 or 2003.  and then it wasn't till i think 2006 i discovered the ten club.  :s

the fan club info was included in the VS liner notes. i simply mailed in $5 and received a newsletter a few months later. The most excited i have ever been was when they mailed out the ticket order forms in early 1995. That was before the "internet" was the "internet" and the tour came as a total surprise. The only bad thing was that you had to wait months before you found out if you got tickets. I remember they also had a "hotline" that you could call for updates on what the band was doing. Things were different then........

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• KC2917KC2917 Posts: 872
    lolobugg said:
    MR242791 said:

the fan club info was included in the VS liner notes. i simply mailed in $5 and received a newsletter a few months later. The most excited i have ever been was when they mailed out the ticket order forms in early 1995. That was before the "internet" was the "internet" and the tour came as a total surprise. The only bad thing was that you had to wait months before you found out if you got tickets. I remember they also had a "hotline" that you could call for updates on what the band was doing. Things were different then........
    Damn dude. Bringing back some memories right there! 
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    They should give out tickets to the Apollo show based on SiriusXM subscriber seniority