Unsolicited Opinion from a 27-year member

Darth Lizard KingDarth Lizard King Posts: 82
edited February 2020 in The Porch
Just a couple of observations and comments. Thanks in advance for reading -

*I joined the club in the fall of 1993, after high school graduation, and it has been very, very good to me - from front-row tickets to my very first Pearl Jam show at the Masonic Temple in my native Detroit in the spring of 1994, to great seats as my wife and I followed them around the country during the 2006 Avocado tour, to the last time they played Detroit - 2014, at the old Joe Louis Arena. The fact that this club even exists blows my mind - what could I possibly have done to deserve such good fortune? Remain loyal, I suppose. I missed out on tickets for this upcoming tour because life, as it often does, became a distraction. I tried, like many of you, for the public onsale, only to be shut out of that silly dance, as well. I'll see what I can swing on the fan exchange, but if I miss out again, life will go on for me and I will wait until next time. However....

*...people who say they were "gutted," "devastated," "crushed," etc because they did not get tickets for the North American tour - these reactions may seem overly dramatic and over-the-top, but try to remember everyone leads a unique life with its own ups and downs, and its own anchor for salvation. Maybe Pearl Jam is all they have. I heard people bagging on Laker fans crying about Kobe outside Staples Center, and it's a similar thing. We haven't walked in those people's shoes, so please try to go easy on them. Yes, some of them may actually be entitled spoiled brats, but the point is, we don't know. We don't have to hold their hands and console them, but we don't have to punch them in the face, either. I don't believe social media and online communication has made us more cruel - it has just given a megaphone to our cruelty - so hopefully we can all do better, including and especially me.

*I sometimes wonder why the Ten Club even bothers with offering tickets to fan club members. It must be an absolute logistical nightmare. And then, after all the work, they get overwhelmed with forum posts and emails from people whose problem could likely have been solved had they just actually read the extremely thorough information that was sent out to them. As a paying customer, you have every right to demand quality service, but when I read some of the demands and complaints on this board, it worries me that one day they will just throw their hands up and decide it's not worth it anymore.

*I often read newer members say that just because they have only been in the club for x amount of years does not make them less of a fan than someone who has been in the club for a greater x amount of years. Wrong. That's exactly what it means. And that's why the club has bent over backwards to make seniority an important part of the overall equation. In fact, that is exactly what seniority means - it's a hierarchy based on loyalty towards brand and product. So when someone says - "But it's not my fault! I just discovered them a year ago and I deserve the same thing as the senior members," I have to just laugh and say "No, you don't...not on any level."

*Thanks for reading. Much appreciated. Enjoy the new tunes.

Post edited by Darth Lizard King on

Comments

• Well said...
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    edited February 2020
    I dig this post overall. More to add but typing a lot on the phone isn’t my thing.

*I also dig your Acocado tag =)
  • Thanks, WMAmorican and hedonist! Much appreciated.
  • tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,694
    edited February 2020
    Just a couple of observations and comments. Thanks in advance for reading -

👌well spoken
    Post edited by tinz. on
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    Great post.  Generally speaking, one of the benefits of age (you being a 27 year member) comes perspective.  You’re around long enough to see the errors of a certain viewpoint.  

Unfortunately, especially now, if an outcome isn’t beneficial for someone it automatically means the environment that created that outcome was flawed or unfair.  

A band rewarding seniority is awesome. 
  • 👍
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    Exactly!  I couldn't agree more! 
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • That about sums it up.  You crushed it with that post. I’m gutted that I couldn’t have put those thoughts so eloquently into words as you did.
    However, I do like that the loyalty doesn’t apply to GA. It’s cool that a new fan can get in the pit and breathe some life into it. 

I’ve heard stories of fans turning their back on the band during Evenflow? Membership has its privileges but that’s brutal. 

• rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124

*I often read newer members say that just because they have only been in the club for x amount of years does not make them less of a fan than someone who has been in the club for a greater x amount of years. Wrong. That's exactly what it means. 

No. It does not at all mean that.

Actually, neither you nor I have been given the power to judge what makes a person "more" of a fan. .... especially if you limit this supposed judgment to one factor only.

To the contrary, time often serves to diminish the intensity of fandom. When I first started getting into Pearl Jam was when I was more of a fan, not less, 
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 872
    Hey op, I like you man. What part of the country are you in? I might have an extra ticket for Oakland 1. 
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    rollings said:

*I often read newer members say that just because they have only been in the club for x amount of years does not make them less of a fan than someone who has been in the club for a greater x amount of years. Wrong. That's exactly what it means. 

No. It does not at all mean that.

Actually, neither you nor I have been given the power to judge what makes a person "more" of a fan. .... especially if you limit this supposed judgment to one factor only.

To the contrary, time often serves to diminish the intensity of fandom. When I first started getting into Pearl Jam was when I was more of a fan, not less, 
    Hiya, rollings!

i see that only in terms of seniority (ie, opportunity for better seats when purchased through the 10C), not level of fandom. Agreed it’s not anyone’s to decide. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,504
    edited February 2020
    This is a much better post than most about tickets.
    I used  to go to lots of shows. I now no longer can and i feel sad inside but i would no way start a thread about me not being able to go anymore and how i cant  even afford a ticket if i could go. 
    Thats the difference  older  . Wiser fans just take the rough with the smoothe. I am lucky thats what i tell myself. Ive been and seen and done pj things i could never  even imagined.  Not because im more or less of a fan but because  i wanted to and made it happen.
    This  time i will watch the sets  come  to life on given to fly and  probably  shed a tear of joy for my good friends  still  on the ride.!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,282
    edited February 2020
    *I often read newer members say that just because they have only been in the club for x amount of years does not make them less of a fan than someone who has been in the club for a greater x amount of years. Wrong. That's exactly what it means. And that's why the club has bent over backwards to make seniority an important part of the overall equation. In fact, that is exactly what seniority means - it's a hierarchy based on loyalty towards brand and product. So when someone says - "But it's not my fault! I just discovered them a year ago and I deserve the same thing as the senior members," I have to just laugh and say "No, you don't...not on any level."

I am fine with seniority in terms of the seating however let's just say I am really happy fans of all ages have an equal shot at scoring tickets in the first place - I think that is a fair way to incorporate the concept of seniority into it.  If seniority equated into better chances scoring tickets, I think that would be a real problem

But I disagree with less time = lesser fan from a philosophical standpoint
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • I agree mostly, but not everyone had the means or were in situations that prevented them from maintaining their TC membership over the years. Please don't start with I've been a TC member longer so I'm a bigger/better fan. 
  • Just a couple of observations and comments. Thanks in advance for reading -

*I joined the club in the fall of 1993, after high school graduation, and it has been very, very good to me - from front-row tickets to my very first Pearl Jam show at the Masonic Temple in my native Detroit in the spring of 1994, to great seats as my wife and I followed them around the country during the 2006 Avocado tour, to the last time they played Detroit - 2014, at the old Joe Louis Arena. The fact that this club even exists blows my mind - what could I possibly have done to deserve such good fortune? Remain loyal, I suppose. I missed out on tickets for this upcoming tour because life, as it often does, became a distraction. I tried, like many of you, for the public onsale, only to be shut out of that silly dance, as well. I'll see what I can swing on the fan exchange, but if I miss out again, life will go on for me and I will wait until next time. However....

*...people who say they were "gutted," "devastated," "crushed," etc because they did not get tickets for the North American tour - these reactions may seem overly dramatic and over-the-top, but try to remember everyone leads a unique life with its own ups and downs, and its own anchor for salvation. Maybe Pearl Jam is all they have. I heard people bagging on Laker fans crying about Kobe outside Staples Center, and it's a similar thing. We haven't walked in those people's shoes, so please try to go easy on them. Yes, some of them may actually be entitled spoiled brats, but the point is, we don't know. We don't have to hold their hands and console them, but we don't have to punch them in the face, either. I don't believe social media and online communication has made us more cruel - it has just given a megaphone to our cruelty - so hopefully we can all do better, including and especially me.

*I sometimes wonder why the Ten Club even bothers with offering tickets to fan club members. It must be an absolute logistical nightmare. And then, after all the work, they get overwhelmed with forum posts and emails from people whose problem could likely have been solved had they just actually read the extremely thorough information that was sent out to them. As a paying customer, you have every right to demand quality service, but when I read some of the demands and complaints on this board, it worries me that one day they will just throw their hands up and decide it's not worth it anymore.

*Thanks for reading. Much appreciated. Enjoy the new tunes.

I agree with most of what you say here but I feel like your 2nd and 4th points contradict one another. I have been a fan since I first heard Pearl Jam on the radio in 91 and I was at the first show in my area at the Palladium that year. I have always followed the band and everyone I know thinks I am a bit crazy with my level of commitment. I packed up my family and followed them as far as I could in 2018 and I am doing it again this summer in Europe. It has only been recently that I have had the means to travel and see shows like I am now. I only signed up for the fan club in 2018 after many years of my wife telling me I should. In all reality, I didn't realize the benefits of being in the fan club nor did I see the need to be in the fan club to justify my personal feelings about Pearl Jam and their music. I do empathize with those who did not get tickets as well and I understand their frustrations with being in the fan club and NOT getting tickets. I will say this, I absolutely appreciate the Ten Club and what they do for us now. Just the fact that we get access to tickets before others is amazing in it's own right. For most shows I see now, I end up paying a hefty price in the aftermarket. Although the system is not perfect, at least we have a chance at tickets we otherwise would not. The seniority issue has valid points on both sides. People who have supported the club for longer do deserve the seniority they have earned. The challenge is when others who were unaware of the benefits all along or did not have the means to support suffer as a result. Either way, we all walk our own journey and we are all hear because we love the band....and that is what matters most. This is an awesome community and I can't wait to run into many of you at some shows this year!

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,902
    I agree mostly, but not everyone had the means or were in situations that prevented them from maintaining their TC membership over the years. Please don't start with I've been a TC member longer so I'm a bigger/better fan. 
    The fan club doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Having said that I think the majority have looked at seniority purely from a ticketing standpoint and the opportunity for better seats if seniority was maintained. That shouldn’t change. Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • 100 Pacer said:
    I agree mostly, but not everyone had the means or were in situations that prevented them from maintaining their TC membership over the years. Please don't start with I've been a TC member longer so I'm a bigger/better fan. 
    The fan club doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Having said that I think the majority have looked at seniority purely from a ticketing standpoint and the opportunity for better seats if seniority was maintained. That shouldn’t change. Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level.
    I agree with this 100%. 
  • 100 Pacer said:
    I agree that membership length doesn't mean that you're a bigger fan than someone else but I don't know if I'd say it says nothing.  It says that the band has been an important part of your life for a number of years.  If you've been a member for 5, 10, 15, or 20 years, you're a fan.  Why do we even need to compare our degree of fandom to those of others?  We should be celebrating the shared experiences, not trying establish some sort of caste system to divide us.

In my opinion this may be the best time to be a Pearl Jam fan, old or new.  The club has more tickets than ever before.  This is keeping tickets out of the secondary market allowing us to get them without having to pay obscene mark-ups.  The majority of the shows have a GA floor allowing both new and old fans the same chance to see them perform up close.  And for the seated sections, the club rewards seniority with better seats.  I know that we'd all like to be in the front for every show but I hope we'd all agree that this is a pretty good compromise.

Finally, just remember that we're all people who love this band.  We're all disappointed when the lottery doesn't go our way.  Some get on the forum to express their frustrations.  This could be due to them making a mistake, choosing the wrong ticket option, or just getting screwed by the draw.  Just let them vent.  There's no need to call anyone "entitled" or "spoiled".  Losing out on a show is probably something we all have to experience.  Help them keep hope instead of keeping them down.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Great post, thanks for taking the time to write it.

• MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,665
    100 Pacer said:
    There is nothing more precious that we can give than our time.  Sure there are other measures of fandom, but to think that seniority (i.e. loyalty over time) says nothing about one's fandom level, is frankly ridiculous.
  • 77777777 Posts: 163
    Guys "...it's alright.  We all be thinking with our different brains."
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    There is nothing more precious that we can give than our time.  Sure there are other measures of fandom, but to think that seniority (i.e. loyalty over time) says nothing about one's fandom level, is frankly ridiculous.

Some people have given the band plenty of their time, but maybe not their money, for various reasons. To quote the OP, "try to remember everyone leads a unique life with its own ups and downs".

I'm fine with seniority for seats. I can make excuses for why I let my membership lapse, but that's not important. What sticks in my craw are the people who think they deserve tickets over me because they were able to maintain their membership for longer, or joined when I was listening to Pearl Jam every day, but didn't even know the fan club existed. If that person want to tell me that they deserved 2nd row at Fenway over me, I won't argue. If they got shut out of Nashville, and try to tell me they deserve tickets more than me? Nope.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

Some people have given the band plenty of their time, but maybe not their money, for various reasons. To quote the OP, "try to remember everyone leads a unique life with its own ups and downs".

I'm fine with seniority for seats. I can make excuses for why I let my membership lapse, but that's not important. What sticks in my craw are the people who think they deserve tickets over me because they were able to maintain their membership for longer, or joined when I was listening to Pearl Jam every day, but didn't even know the fan club existed. If that person want to tell me that they deserved 2nd row at Fenway over me, I won't argue. If they got shut out of Nashville, and try to tell me they deserve tickets more than me? Nope.
    This exactly!!!!
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,073
    edited February 2020
    turbomav said:
    I agree with most of what you say here but I feel like your 2nd and 4th points contradict one another. I have been a fan since I first heard Pearl Jam on the radio in 91 and I was at the first show in my area at the Palladium that year. I have always followed the band and everyone I know thinks I am a bit crazy with my level of commitment. I packed up my family and followed them as far as I could in 2018 and I am doing it again this summer in Europe. It has only been recently that I have had the means to travel and see shows like I am now. I only signed up for the fan club in 2018 after many years of my wife telling me I should. In all reality, I didn't realize the benefits of being in the fan club nor did I see the need to be in the fan club to justify my personal feelings about Pearl Jam and their music. I do empathize with those who did not get tickets as well and I understand their frustrations with being in the fan club and NOT getting tickets. I will say this, I absolutely appreciate the Ten Club and what they do for us now. Just the fact that we get access to tickets before others is amazing in it's own right. For most shows I see now, I end up paying a hefty price in the aftermarket. Although the system is not perfect, at least we have a chance at tickets we otherwise would not. The seniority issue has valid points on both sides. People who have supported the club for longer do deserve the seniority they have earned. The challenge is when others who were unaware of the benefits all along or did not have the means to support suffer as a result. Either way, we all walk our own journey and we are all hear because we love the band....and that is what matters most. This is an awesome community and I can't wait to run into many of you at some shows this year!

10C has been around for decades.

If an individual doesn't take the time to make themselves aware of the benefits, how is this in any way a challenge for the 10C after the fact? Or anyone else for that matter?

To the same point, if an individual can't afford the dues, and missed out on years of being a member, that's life... but I still fail to see how that should be a challenge for 10C or anyone else.

• mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

This exactly!!!!
    The only aspect of seniority that should be in play is seat assignment - anything more is simply PJ fan hubris.
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,902
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

This exactly!!!!
    The only aspect of seniority that should be in play is seat assignment - anything more is simply PJ fan hubris.
    Amen.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Quality post.

Feelings aside for a minute: the way it is now is good and balanced from a business standpoint. Were 10C to reward seniority more than it already does, like some are asking for, it would make it tough to grow the fan base. And it's important to all 10C members that membership continues to grow to at least offset the departures, otherwise, 10C membership fees would have to increase regularly to cover the increasing costs to run the thing the way it is today.
  • mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

This exactly!!!!
    Agreed 100 percent
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    Am I the only one who read this and did the math over and over thinking how can a 27 year old join in 1993? Then you have that o duh moment. Or was it just me?

Anyway, I can answer one question. The 10c bothers with tickets because they would probably lose 90% of memberships if they didnt.
  • mace1229 said:
    Am I the only one who read this and did the math over and over thinking how can a 27 year old join in 1993? Then you have that o duh moment. Or was it just me?

Anyway, I can answer one question. The 10c bothers with tickets because they would probably lose 90% of memberships if they didnt.
    The ONLY reason they do - bingo
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)