Unsolicited Opinion from a 27-year member

Comments

• Darth Lizard KingDarth Lizard King Posts: 82
    edited February 2020
    !!
    Post edited by Darth Lizard King on
  • Then how would you quantify fandom, if not for the amount of time someone has devoted to band loyalty? Seems like pretty much the longer you have been in the 10 Club, the bigger fan you are.
  • turbomav said:
    I agree with most of what you say here but I feel like your 2nd and 4th points contradict one another. I have been a fan since I first heard Pearl Jam on the radio in 91 and I was at the first show in my area at the Palladium that year. I have always followed the band and everyone I know thinks I am a bit crazy with my level of commitment. I packed up my family and followed them as far as I could in 2018 and I am doing it again this summer in Europe. It has only been recently that I have had the means to travel and see shows like I am now. I only signed up for the fan club in 2018 after many years of my wife telling me I should. In all reality, I didn't realize the benefits of being in the fan club nor did I see the need to be in the fan club to justify my personal feelings about Pearl Jam and their music. I do empathize with those who did not get tickets as well and I understand their frustrations with being in the fan club and NOT getting tickets. I will say this, I absolutely appreciate the Ten Club and what they do for us now. Just the fact that we get access to tickets before others is amazing in it's own right. For most shows I see now, I end up paying a hefty price in the aftermarket. Although the system is not perfect, at least we have a chance at tickets we otherwise would not. The seniority issue has valid points on both sides. People who have supported the club for longer do deserve the seniority they have earned. The challenge is when others who were unaware of the benefits all along or did not have the means to support suffer as a result. Either way, we all walk our own journey and we are all hear because we love the band....and that is what matters most. This is an awesome community and I can't wait to run into many of you at some shows this year!

10C has been around for decades.

If an individual doesn't take the time to make themselves aware of the benefits, how is this in any way a challenge for the 10C after the fact? Or anyone else for that matter?

To the same point, if an individual can't afford the dues, and missed out on years of being a member, that's life... but I still fail to see how that should be a challenge for 10C or anyone else.

This x 1000, for the win, long three from the wing, and splash. Oh, how I loathe the "b...b...but I didn't know - how was I supposed to know?" My good God. 
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    Then how would you quantify fandom, if not for the amount of time someone has devoted to band loyalty? Seems like pretty much the longer you have been in the 10 Club, the bigger fan you are.
    Official equation for quantifying fandom (not really an equation, but a simple reference):

X>Y

X=Me, always constant
    Y=You, varies by person and situation

very simple
  • As an ‘old’ fan (91 at CY Stevens in Ames IA row 4) and an older member here I think the seniority thing has run its course.  Sorry to those that disagree but it is a huge pain I bet selecting seats based on that.  And to automatically penalize someone who is younger and a fan seems odd just because they were born in a different time.  Perhaps there will be a better way in the future as they wind their career down.  Who knows.  Maybe I am softer because I saw them up front in their prime and traveling around a bunch doesn’t fit my life anymore....rather do other stuff quite frankly.  And I don’t see the need to see them 10-20 times per tour (never have understood that frankly).  But I love seeing them once or twice per tour if it fits my schedule.  I guess I would like to see others get the chance rather than seniority being the sole reason.

Flame away!
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    As an ‘old’ fan (91 at CY Stevens in Ames IA row 4) and an older member here I think the seniority thing has run its course.  Sorry to those that disagree but it is a huge pain I bet selecting seats based on that.  And to automatically penalize someone who is younger and a fan seems odd just because they were born in a different time.  Perhaps there will be a better way in the future as they wind their career down.  Who knows.  Maybe I am softer because I saw them up front in their prime and traveling around a bunch doesn’t fit my life anymore....rather do other stuff quite frankly.  And I don’t see the need to see them 10-20 times per tour (never have understood that frankly).  But I love seeing them once or twice per tour if it fits my schedule.  I guess I would like to see others get the chance rather than seniority being the sole reason.

Flame away!
    Not a flame, but the seniority applies to seat location only. I’m pretty sure there’s no conspiracy to withhold tickets to some based on their age :confounded:
    edited February 2020
    And I’ll add one thing: it’s not for you or anyone to declare what someone else needs or does. 

I’ve been to two shows, last one in 2003, and that has zero impact on my happiness that others may get more under their belt. 
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 493
    edited February 2020
    Then how would you quantify fandom, if not for the amount of time someone has devoted to band loyalty? Seems like pretty much the longer you have been in the 10 Club, the bigger fan you are.
    I've only been in this club for a couple of years now and the Chili Peppers are still my favorite band. Theres plenty of people with higher number that are bigger fans then me. 

But I do like the rest of your original post. 
    Good stuff
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,665
    edited February 2020
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    I agree mostly, but not everyone had the means or were in situations that prevented them from maintaining their TC membership over the years. Please don't start with I've been a TC member longer so I'm a bigger/better fan. 
    The fan club doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Having said that I think the majority have looked at seniority purely from a ticketing standpoint and the opportunity for better seats if seniority was maintained. That shouldn’t change. Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level.
    There is nothing more precious that we can give than our time.  Sure there are other measures of fandom, but to think that seniority (i.e. loyalty over time) says nothing about one's fandom level, is frankly ridiculous.

Some people have given the band plenty of their time, but maybe not their money, for various reasons. To quote the OP, "try to remember everyone leads a unique life with its own ups and downs".

I'm fine with seniority for seats. I can make excuses for why I let my membership lapse, but that's not important. What sticks in my craw are the people who think they deserve tickets over me because they were able to maintain their membership for longer, or joined when I was listening to Pearl Jam every day, but didn't even know the fan club existed. If that person want to tell me that they deserved 2nd row at Fenway over me, I won't argue. If they got shut out of Nashville, and try to tell me they deserve tickets more than me? Nope.
    Everyone does lead a unique life, some prioritized 10C, some did not.  For those that made 10C a priority, they can prove their loyalty and support, those who did not prioritize 10C can not. There is no "proof of support" form you can file.   It doesn't matter if you say you've listened to Vitology non-stop on repeat for the last 25 years, we'd just have to take your word for it.
    Post edited by MG79478 on
    As an ‘old’ fan (91 at CY Stevens in Ames IA row 4) and an older member here I think the seniority thing has run its course.  Sorry to those that disagree but it is a huge pain I bet selecting seats based on that.  And to automatically penalize someone who is younger and a fan seems odd just because they were born in a different time.  Perhaps there will be a better way in the future as they wind their career down.  Who knows.  Maybe I am softer because I saw them up front in their prime and traveling around a bunch doesn’t fit my life anymore....rather do other stuff quite frankly.  And I don’t see the need to see them 10-20 times per tour (never have understood that frankly).  But I love seeing them once or twice per tour if it fits my schedule.  I guess I would like to see others get the chance rather than seniority being the sole reason.

Flame away!
    You can start a trend... let your number lapse, sign up for a new one. I bet 10C would even just assign you a new number if you ask. You'd still get equal access to tickets, but it would help every other member get better seats. Post all the screen shots of your old number and your new one to inspire others to do the same.  We could call it Blackhawking, or something in your honor.
  • LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    edited February 2020
    So, remembering that “fan” is shorthand for “fanatic”...
    A fun thought exercise: who is the bigger “fan”?
    Person 1:  Started listening to PJ 19 years ago. Owns most but not all of their albums.  Not much merch to speak of. Joined 10c 13 years ago. Been to 7 concerts. 
    Person 2:  Discovered the band when Lightning Bolt came out. Fell in love. Joined 10c on the spot. Bought all of the albums, lots of bootlegs, tons of merch. Been to 20 concerts. 
    Thoughts?  What if Person 2 also got a Stickman tattoo on their chest?
    Just having fun here. Neither of these describe me. 
  • The band doesn’t prioritize10C seating based on who the biggest fan is. 

They prioritize 10C seating based on how long you’ve been in the fanclub. That is the only thing seniority is good for, which is fine. There’s nothing unfair about this system. 

& personally I would shocked if they did away with seniority based seating as that would remove the incentive for people to renew every year. 

• TN49724 said:
    Official equation for quantifying fandom (not really an equation, but a simple reference):

X>Y

X=Me, always constant
    Y=You, varies by person and situation

very simple
    Could you graph that for me....?  I need the visual to help alleviate my brain cramp ---  :)
  • As with all media these days. Just remember its a small negative LOUD minority. They don't speak for everyone. Its become very very easy to ignore. 
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Great post and very nicely articulated!
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    great post.  great music coming....cant wait for MArch 27th!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Who is the bigger fan. 

:lol:

This is where we are at.

I'm betting the biggest fan of anything that has been around this long is a frigging Looney who is sitting outside while a band member eats lunch so that they can run and grab their napkin or some stalker type of bs

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Then how would you quantify fandom, if not for the amount of time someone has devoted to band loyalty? Seems like pretty much the longer you have been in the 10 Club, the bigger fan you are.
    I completely disagree. Thankfully for you, you didn't have life circumstances get in the way of you being able to stay a member. Others did, it doesn't make them less of a fan. Or if someone didn't catch onto PJ until later (due to age, or anything else). 

Stop trying to use seniority to prove how much better of a fan you are. 
  • LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Who is the bigger fan. 

:lol:

This is where we are at.

I'm betting the biggest fan of anything that has been around this long is a frigging Looney who is sitting outside while a band member eats lunch so that they can run and grab their napkin or some stalker type of bs

The parody is becoming reality. It’s humorous to a point, but eventually it’s just creepy. 
    I hope everyone enjoys their shows. If you’re still locked out, keep trying. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. 
  • Good post, a lot of good points.  I was a fan since I first really noticed Alive while heading to a Rite Aid in late 1990 to pick up fever medicine for my 11 month old son.  As a young parent and with a demanding job, I couldn't go to concerts.  I bought every CD, was amazed by them, and even drove around listening when they first came out.  PJ was there for me when I divorced, met someone, re-married, had new kids.  Seems like their songs had a relevant message and were the background tracks for my life.  As for the 10C, I really had no idea it existed.  Finally, when the internet took hold, I was in this forum when it used to look like an index.  I stumbled on it looking for stuff on the band.  In 2002, learned of 10C, joined it immediately.  Up until then, I was a huge fan, as much so as a 10C member since day-1.  I just had no idea.  Ok so what.  Before 2003, 10C members picked one show per tour and those seats were 1st few rows.  In 2003 and beyond, it was as many shows as you want.  The seating suffered.  For one show, I was halfway back in a stadium and in another rear floor and couldn't see.  I have maintained 10C membership since 2002 and analog since its inception.  The one thing I wish for personally is to be for once in my life in the 1st few rows.  Just to experience it once.  They don't come to LA often like they do in the northeast so I think when they do come, I have no chance.  In my late 50's, I can't do GA.  I liked the idea of that lottery where 10C latecomers (who are likely as big of fans as the rest) had a chance to be up close.  Or maybe the 1 show per tour might be best?  Where you get that 1st few row experience, and then maybe a 2nd tier between that and Ticketmaster for your 2nd-Nth show.  More of a 1-home-show type of thing - Maybe.  Seems more like a caste system right now.  Like I'm a 2002 10C and will be far back for life, no chance of getting better seats.  That 10C number doesn't reflect my degree of fan-ship.  My vote is 1-hometown show.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    I agree mostly, but not everyone had the means or were in situations that prevented them from maintaining their TC membership over the years. Please don't start with I've been a TC member longer so I'm a bigger/better fan. 
    The fan club doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Having said that I think the majority have looked at seniority purely from a ticketing standpoint and the opportunity for better seats if seniority was maintained. That shouldn’t change. Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level.
    There is nothing more precious that we can give than our time.  Sure there are other measures of fandom, but to think that seniority (i.e. loyalty over time) says nothing about one's fandom level, is frankly ridiculous.

Some people have given the band plenty of their time, but maybe not their money, for various reasons. To quote the OP, "try to remember everyone leads a unique life with its own ups and downs".

I'm fine with seniority for seats. I can make excuses for why I let my membership lapse, but that's not important. What sticks in my craw are the people who think they deserve tickets over me because they were able to maintain their membership for longer, or joined when I was listening to Pearl Jam every day, but didn't even know the fan club existed. If that person want to tell me that they deserved 2nd row at Fenway over me, I won't argue. If they got shut out of Nashville, and try to tell me they deserve tickets more than me? Nope.
    Everyone does lead a unique life, some prioritized 10C, some did not.  For those that made 10C a priority, they can prove their loyalty and support, those who did not prioritize 10C can not. There is no "proof of support" form you can file.   It doesn't matter if you say you've listened to Vitology non-stop on repeat for the last 25 years, we'd just have to take your word for it.

Maybe we should worry less about "proving" our fandom?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

If only...
  • Great post Darth thank you

longtime member here also
    I remember the rumor pit

just wanted to add let’s remember longtime members have supported and helped to build the 10 club which believe it or not is a business
    salaries, rent, benefits 401k I hope

we get better seats once every two years if we are lucky enough to win the lottery
    i am currently 4 for 21 in the lottery

I’m fine with that it’s a lottery we’ll not really 7 for 21 would be better I’m not too greedy 

I bought shares early on in Pearl Jam I don’t feel entitled I feel like a longtime member
    not a bigger better fan just part of this great fan club 

enjoy the shows everyone
    GW98

• Evel KEvel K Posts: 526
    Everyone should be able to see Pearl Jam from up close, but some people will get the last row in the farthest section.  I've never left a show saying they would've rocked harder if I was in the front row.  True front row tickets were once in my lifetime, and I have to thank 10 club for that. Lottery for rows 1-2 and 9-10 was another way they tried to spread the love. Going back to GA changed everything. Active members probably doubled if not tripled. Shutouts became a new harsh reality, especially for long time members. PJ20 was an innovative approach that never gained traction.  One night reserved and one on the lawn. This could work in cities when they play two nights. The old saying goes " You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all the time"   Around here, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit" should be the 
    new slogan.
    Things were different then
  • I think all members having an equal chance of tickets, and seniority determining reserved seat location, is a reasonable balance.  (I am on the newer side of things but not brand new.)

The only thing I would add is that given the popularity of GA perhaps it should be required to have been in the fan club for a bit longer than one day before the announcement in order to enter for GA (in North America anyway).  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

Maybe you should.  Maybe you should also tell that to the guy I was responding to who said "Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level."  Clearly it does, which was my point.
    Good post, a lot of good points.  I was a fan since I first really noticed Alive while heading to a Rite Aid in late 1990 to pick up fever medicine for my 11 month old son.  As a young parent and with a demanding job, I couldn't go to concerts.  I bought every CD, was amazed by them, and even drove around listening when they first came out.  PJ was there for me when I divorced, met someone, re-married, had new kids.  Seems like their songs had a relevant message and were the background tracks for my life.  As for the 10C, I really had no idea it existed.  Finally, when the internet took hold, I was in this forum when it used to look like an index.  I stumbled on it looking for stuff on the band.  In 2002, learned of 10C, joined it immediately.  Up until then, I was a huge fan, as much so as a 10C member since day-1.  I just had no idea.  Ok so what.  Before 2003, 10C members picked one show per tour and those seats were 1st few rows.  In 2003 and beyond, it was as many shows as you want.  The seating suffered.  For one show, I was halfway back in a stadium and in another rear floor and couldn't see.  I have maintained 10C membership since 2002 and analog since its inception.  The one thing I wish for personally is to be for once in my life in the 1st few rows.  Just to experience it once.  They don't come to LA often like they do in the northeast so I think when they do come, I have no chance.  In my late 50's, I can't do GA.  I liked the idea of that lottery where 10C latecomers (who are likely as big of fans as the rest) had a chance to be up close.  Or maybe the 1 show per tour might be best?  Where you get that 1st few row experience, and then maybe a 2nd tier between that and Ticketmaster for your 2nd-Nth show.  More of a 1-home-show type of thing - Maybe.  Seems more like a caste system right now.  Like I'm a 2002 10C and will be far back for life, no chance of getting better seats.  That 10C number doesn't reflect my degree of fan-ship.  My vote is 1-hometown show.
    I feel for you, being a 10C member in the worst possible location... the middle.  The more senior members get all the good seats and never move on.  The newer members get the exact same access to tickets with much less investment... and sometimes even better seats when you get stuck on the back of the floor and they get the wings.
  • hedonist said:

Flame away!
    Not a flame, but the seniority applies to seat location only. I’m pretty sure there’s no conspiracy to withhold tickets to some based on their age :confounded:
    Oh I get that.  Just thinking they could sprinkle in some for the newer people for each show or something.  Seats closer.  The squatters rights thing seems a little meh now to me.

I let my U2 lapse and will not rejoins that one some 4-5 years ago.  PJ is my #1 though so......  But who knows which one is next as I age.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    mpedone said:
    MG79478 said:
    100 Pacer said:

Maybe you should.  Maybe you should also tell that to the guy I was responding to who said "Seniority says nothing of one’s fandom level."  Clearly it does, which was my point.
    Yes, I read your point, which is why I responded to you, as I disagree with you. What is the purpose of trying to prove you're a "bigger" fan than someone else on here?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • hedonist said:

Flame away!
    Oh I get that.  Just thinking they could sprinkle in some for the newer people for each show or something.  Seats closer.  The squatters rights thing seems a little meh now to me.

I let my U2 lapse and will not rejoins that one some 4-5 years ago.  PJ is my #1 though so......  But who knows which one is next as I age.  

"Sprinkle in some" better seats for newer people? They already offer GA for which everyone has an equal chance to land a ticket. For shows without GA, they randomly distribute the seats in the 1st, 2nd, 9th & 10th rows. Do you think they should do more? If so, then where do they start & stop with this?  

What about the people who have been in the club since the late 2000s? Do you "sprinkle in some" better seats for us? What about someone who joined in 2012? Or 2014? Do you only worry about people who joined in the last 2 years? 4 years?

How would giving a better seat to someone who joined last year be fair to all the people who have been told for all these years that sticking with the club has its benefits?

Your idea of fairness is unfair to others who have followed the rules and kept up with their dues all these years.

As someone else suggested, you should start a trend by letting your membership lapse.

Give some "newer people" a chance at better seats. Put your money where your mouth is.