Options

"Gigaton" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    I wonder what Vs would sell had it come out in 2020. Any thoughts?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,292
    That depends on whether you mean "if it came out in 2020 with Pearl Jam as popular as they were in 1993" or "if it came out in 2020 with Pearl Jam as popular as they are in 2020."  If the latter, it would sell the same as Gigaton (about 55,000).  If the former, I would guess between 300,000-350,000.  (I'm talking "pure sales"-- i.e., physical and digital sales of the full album.)  If you factor in streaming, I'd guess between 350,000-400,000 total units (i.e., pure sales plus streaming).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    If they had the same popularity. I would say 600k. Maybe even over a million. And I believe they would be one of the few rock acts who would stream well. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    That depends on whether you mean "if it came out in 2020 with Pearl Jam as popular as they were in 1993" or "if it came out in 2020 with Pearl Jam as popular as they are in 2020."  If the latter, it would sell the same as Gigaton (about 55,000).  If the former, I would guess between 300,000-350,000.  (I'm talking "pure sales"-- i.e., physical and digital sales of the full album.)  If you factor in streaming, I'd guess between 350,000-400,000 total units (i.e., pure sales plus streaming).
    Something tells me they would have been one of the few rock acts that would stream well if they had the same popularity as in 1993. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    If they had the same popularity. I would say 600k. Maybe even over a million. And I believe they would be one of the few rock acts who would stream well. 
    You mean in total, not first-week, right?  My guess was for the first week only because I inferred from the question, since Vs. set the first-week record, that it was about first-week sales, but I realize now that the question didn't specifically state that parameter.

I don't really know what to make of the streaming.  I guess if we're imagining a world where Pearl Jam is as popular in 2020 as they were in 1993, that assumes that they're popular among young people, and young people stream more (though rock fans stream less).  Ultimately, this hypothetical makes my head hurt.  As much as I'd like to turn the clock back to 1993 for various reasons, I can't. 

And if I somehow figure out a way to do it, I'm saving all the money I've spent on Pearl Jam and investing it in Amazon.  $10,000 invested at the IPO in 1998 would be worth over $20 million today.  With that kind of money, I could finally own Benaroya Hall on vinyl!
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    You mean in total, not first-week, right?  My guess was for the first week only because I inferred from the question, since Vs. set the first-week record, that it was about first-week sales, but I realize now that the question didn't specifically state that parameter.

I don't really know what to make of the streaming.  I guess if we're imagining a world where Pearl Jam is as popular in 2020 as they were in 1993, that assumes that they're popular among young people, and young people stream more (though rock fans stream less).  Ultimately, this hypothetical makes my head hurt.  As much as I'd like to turn the clock back to 1993 for various reasons, I can't. 

And if I somehow figure out a way to do it, I'm saving all the money I've spent on Pearl Jam and investing it in Amazon.  $10,000 invested at the IPO in 1998 would be worth over $20 million today.  With that kind of money, I could finally own Benaroya Hall on vinyl!
    I think first week. That's what I was going with.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I can't imagine how Pearl Jam sells 600,000-1,000,000 in the first week in 2020.  The Weeknd sold 275,000 in the first week, to pick one example of a hugely popular present-day act.

We need Adele to release an album this year as a test case.
  • Options
    Part of it is because we will buy it and stream it. Maybe during this pandemic it wouldn't sell that many physical copies. But I believe the streaming numbers would make up for that.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Wait, so your numbers are combined sales and streaming?  I understood the question to be about sales only.  Even still, I don't see those kind of numbers.  The Weeknd was right at about 400,000 combined in the first week and, if I recall correctly, that's the highest non-BTS total of the year.  (I carve out BTS because they have fans literally buying dozens of copies of the album and streaming it nonstop to boost them on the chart.)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The Weeknd isn't as big as Pearl Jam was back then. I would say he is on STP level big. A good comparison would be Drake. Even though I don't like Drake.

And I pretty much do the same as BTS fans. I think I'm responsible for Binaural and Riot Act going Gold
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Hell, Binaural has sold over 900K copies at this point. It's much closer to platinum than gold. Also, Riot Act has sold more than 600K copies. So unless you bought 100K copies of Riot Act, I don't think so.
  • Options
    The only PJ albums I like better than Riot Act are Ten and Yield. I think PJ may have reached the coolest version of themselves in 2002 and 2003. 
  • Options
    Hell, Binaural has sold over 900K copies at this point. It's much closer to platinum than gold. Also, Riot Act has sold more than 600K copies. So unless you bought 100K copies of Riot Act, I don't think so.
    I wasn't actually serious that I made them Gold. Also at the time Riot Act was barely at 500k. At that time being close to 500k sold would get you gold because it was still based on shipments. Binaural would be certified platinum by now
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The only PJ albums I like better than Riot Act are Ten and Yield. I think PJ may have reached the coolest version of themselves in 2002 and 2003. 
    You haven't heard Pearl Jam, Backspacer, Lightning Bolt, or Gigaton?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I just think that in my world PJ was never cooler than 2002 and 2003 when Riot Act and Lost Dogs were released, and the band was touring pretty consistently during that time. They were obviously most popular from 1992 through 1995, but they just seemed to be maxing out the "coolmeter" in 2002 and 2003. By the time the Avocado album was released, they were well into their 40s, and the music seemed a little less edgy to me. Just my opinion brother. 
  • Options
    The band seemed to enter a different phase from 2006 until just recently. I think Gigaton sent them forward down a new and impressive path though. 
  • Options
    When I think of PJ performing Save You on Letterman in 2002, I see a band that can do no wrong at that point in time. They were the absolute essence of coolness back then. Don't get me wrong -- they're still really, really cool. However, almost nobody is as cool at age 56 as opposed to age 38. 
  • Options
    We saw a little bit of this earlier this year where it looked like there was going to be a collaboration with MLB. But then covid happened. I wonder if this would have helped first week sales had it happened then? 
    It's back on the iTunes rock album chart. Definitely not a big bump. But back then it's a different story

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pearl-jam-baseball/?trackback=twitter_mobile
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I'm hoping it's time for the chart numbers for the most recent week. I'm curious whether Gigaton is still situated in the top 100 of actual album sales. I hope so! Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm hoping it's time for the chart numbers for the most recent week. I'm curious whether Gigaton is still situated in the top 100 of actual album sales. I hope so! Thanks.
    Either he's late or they dropped out of every chart. Except for Triple A I guess 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Original post updated for the week ending July 25, 2020.  Sorry for the delay.  I got logged out and had trouble getting (and staying) logged back in.  Seems to be working now.

"Retrograde" spends yet another week at No. 9 at Triple-A.  "Superblood" falls from No. 20 to No. 25 on Canada Rock.  Gigaton exits the Top Current Album Sales chart after 15 weeks.  (It's a 100-position chart.)

By the way, when I mentioned Adele above as needing to drop an album to give us a test case of the upper-limit potential of album sales in 2020, I nearly also brought up Taylor Swift, whose first-week number in August 2019 was 867,000.  It will be interesting to see what kind of number she puts up with the album she announced today that will be dropping tonight.  On the one hand, this album benefits from no promotion other than the announcement today.  On the other hand, there are eight different versions available of the physical album, and she has a lot of fans who will buy all eight.  I'm also not clear on how the sales are going to be counted.  You can pre-order it on her website, with delivery in two to four weeks.  I guess those will count as first-week sales if made between tonight and next Thursday night.  I would buy it tomorrow if I could get it at a store, but I don't get the sense that it will be in stores tomorrow, so my purchase might boost her sales in a future week.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Original post updated for the week ending July 25, 2020.  Sorry for the delay.  I got logged out and had trouble getting (and staying) logged back in.  Seems to be working now.

"Retrograde" spends yet another week at No. 9 at Triple-A.  "Superblood" falls from No. 20 to No. 25 on Canada Rock.  Gigaton exits the Top Current Album Sales chart after 15 weeks.  (It's a 100-position chart.)

By the way, when I mentioned Adele above as needing to drop an album to give us a test case of the upper-limit potential of album sales in 2020, I nearly also brought up Taylor Swift, whose first-week number in August 2019 was 867,000.  It will be interesting to see what kind of number she puts up with the album she announced today that will be dropping tonight.  On the one hand, this album benefits from no promotion other than the announcement today.  On the other hand, there are eight different versions available of the physical album, and she has a lot of fans who will buy all eight.  I'm also not clear on how the sales are going to be counted.  You can pre-order it on her website, with delivery in two to four weeks.  I guess those will count as first-week sales if made between tonight and next Thursday night.  I would buy it tomorrow if I could get it at a store, but I don't get the sense that it will be in stores tomorrow, so my purchase might boost her sales in a future week.
    All 8 might debut in the top 10
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The sales will be combined.  They're just different covers.

There is a bonus track on the physical albums that's not available digitally, but it's the same bonus track on all eight versions.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    The sales will be combined.  They're just different covers.

There is a bonus track on the physical albums that's not available digitally, but it's the same bonus track on all eight versions.
    Oh that's true 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Listening to it now.  Her songwriting ability is really astounding.
  • Options
    As of today, Gigaton is at #191 overall and #78 in rock CDs/vinyl on the Amazon sales lists.  I know it's just Amazon, but it seems to provide some indication as to the retail performance of the new PJ album. It's interesting to note that PJ's Ten album is a mainstay in the overall Amazon top-100 list despite being released about 29 years ago. The appeal of that album remains nearly constant after all this time. 
  • Options
    As of today, Gigaton is at #191 overall and #78 in rock CDs/vinyl on the Amazon sales lists.  I know it's just Amazon, but it seems to provide some indication as to the retail performance of the new PJ album. It's interesting to note that PJ's Ten album is a mainstay in the overall Amazon top-100 list despite being released about 29 years ago. The appeal of that album remains nearly constant after all this time. 
    It updates every hour or 2. The one that's at # 191 is the digital. I don't believe they have an overall chart. A few days ago the digital album was at #3000's .The Ten album is the vinyl which has been selling for 14.49 for awhile now.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    No, #191 was within the last hour, and it represents CDs/vinyl. Feel free to look if you don't believe me. 
  • Options
    I clicked on Gigaton CD, and it took me to the next screen. Then one just has to scroll down a bit to see the rankings for CDs/vinyl overall and rock CDs/vinyl. It's pretty clear. 
  • Options
    I don't look at digital anything, because I don't listen to music in that way. It's either CDs, vinyl, SiriusXM Pearl Jam Channel 22, or SiriusXM Channel 34 (Lithium) for me buddy. The rest of you can download it to your mobile phones if you choose, but that's not preferable for my 50-year-old self.