Options

All things Transgender related

Comments

• Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Rule of thumb on the AMT.. if you piss off @brianlux, it's probably you.  It's pretty simple.  Brian is the nicest, least argumentative person that's a regular here.  
    Didn’t see you post it before I said basically the same thing again. Right on

I thought you liked to learn? Apparently not. You just like to lash out with pictures like some others around these parts. 
    I meant this as a lighthearted joke. I get it: I'm the new guy arguing with one of the regulars. See my other post about Brianlux. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,157
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Rule of thumb on the AMT.. if you piss off @brianlux, it's probably you.  It's pretty simple.  Brian is the nicest, least argumentative person that's a regular here.  

again I'll state you are unknown to us and we to you(unless you choose to come to a quick judgement about any of us) so what this pic is to me, shows your are defensive.

we are telling who this dude is based on our long experience engaging with him here and elsewhere on this site.

so before posts like this go on, do yourself a favor and step back and read our various responses to a given topic over time..... study....and learn.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    and isn't "old codger" an offensive term? LOL
    An interesting question. My first inclination is to say "no," but let me look up the history of the word. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,947
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

I thought you liked to learn? Apparently not. You just like to lash out with pictures like some others around these parts. 
    I meant this as a lighthearted joke. I get it: I'm the new guy arguing with one of the regulars. See my other post about Brianlux. 
    it's not that at ALL. newbie or not, we're just giving you the barometer to go by. If you piss me off, doesn't necessarily mean anything. Same with most people around here. But Brian, that's a different story. And he doesn't need "protecting", he's good on his own. It was more meant as an exercise in self-reflection. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

again I'll state you are unknown to us and we to you(unless you choose to come to a quick judgement about any of us) so what this pic is to me, shows your are defensive.

we are telling who this dude is based on our long experience engaging with him here and elsewhere on this site.

so before posts like this go on, do yourself a favor and step back and read our various responses to a given topic over time..... study....and learn.
    A joke that missed. I'm used to that. Apologies. I really did mean that as lighthearted. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

A joke that missed. I'm used to that. Apologies. I really did mean that as lighthearted. 
    please tell me I'm reading this incorrectly. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    An interesting question. My first inclination is to say "no," but let me look up the history of the word. 
    history dictates or how you used it? I read it as derisive. it surely wasnt intended to be benign.  at least in print with no visual , tonal clues to suggest otherwise
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

it's not that at ALL. newbie or not, we're just giving you the barometer to go by. If you piss me off, doesn't necessarily mean anything. Same with most people around here. But Brian, that's a different story. And he doesn't need "protecting", he's good on his own. It was more meant as an exercise in self-reflection. 
    An occurrence from which I'd like to learn. Everyone tells me I approached this wrong, but no one can tell me what the right way to approach it is. That tends to make me think maybe there is no way...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,738
    ecdanc said:
    if you are truly offended by that, then fine, my apologies and I will edit my post. 
    It hit a nerve because a very old professor brought up this SNL skit at a social event while asking about my child. It took everything in my power not to floor the old codger right there. 
    Sounds like your toxic masculinity was in overdrive there.  
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

please tell me I'm reading this incorrectly. 
    Not sure how you're reading it, but I'm pretty accustomed to making jokes people don't find funny. Mostly puns. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    if you are truly offended by that, then fine, my apologies and I will edit my post. 
    It hit a nerve because a very old professor brought up this SNL skit at a social event while asking about my child. It took everything in my power not to floor the old codger right there. 
    Sounds like your toxic masculinity was in overdrive there.  
    Indeed. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    history dictates or how you used it? I read it as derisive. it surely wasnt intended to be benign.  at least in print with no visual , tonal clues to suggest otherwise
    I read Hugh's question as "is the term 'codger' itself offensive *as a term*." Obviously it can be used as an insult, which I was doing in this case. The history of the word helps determine whether it's more broadly offensive. For example, if I say to my friend "you're stupid," I'm being insulting, but (in the context of this conversation not "offensive"). If I say "you're retarded" (apologies for actually writing that out--I worry some might not know what I mean if I say "r-word") I'm being both insulting and offensive. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Welp, this has been an enlightening thread.

It's really brought out the best in some folks!
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

An occurrence from which I'd like to learn. Everyone tells me I approached this wrong, but no one can tell me what the right way to approach it is. That tends to make me think maybe there is no way...
    we've told you. 

-don't condescend
    -allow others' viewpoints
    -stating your the expert and scholar on any given subject will basically shut down any meaningful dialogue
    -just read the room. if everyone's annoyed with one person, there's probably good reason. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonist said:

as enlightening as this post. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

we've told you. 

-don't condescend
    -stating your the expert and scholar on any given subject will basically shut down any meaningful dialogue
    -just read the room. if everyone's annoyed with one person, there's probably good reason. 
    And this approach has proven effective for getting people to admit they are wrong?

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    I read Hugh's question as "is the term 'codger' itself offensive *as a term*." Obviously it can be used as an insult, which I was doing in this case. The history of the word helps determine whether it's more broadly offensive. For example, if I say to my friend "you're stupid," I'm being insulting, but (in the context of this conversation not "offensive"). If I say "you're retarded" (apologies for actually writing that out--I worry some might not know what I mean if I say "r-word") I'm being both insulting and offensive. 
    I have to ask, and this is earnest and sincere, are you on the spectrum to some degree?

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,147
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

we've told you. 

-don't condescend
    And this approach has proven effective for getting people to admit they are wrong?

Again, I thought you "like to learn" not get people to admit they were wrong.  Sheesh...if that's all you are here for....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    yeah now I get a troll vibe....

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited January 2020
    hedonist said:

as enlightening as this post. 
    It appears you're still het up.

I am not.

Let's not do this yet again.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,738
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

we've told you. 

-don't condescend

Again, I thought you "like to learn" not get people to admit they were wrong.  Sheesh...if that's all you are here for....
    cards are on the table with this statement. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

we've told you. 

-don't condescend

I didn’t say I wanted to learn how not to piss people off. I asked for instances where someone has actually changed their position. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    I have to ask, and this is earnest and sincere, are you on the spectrum to some degree?
    Not that I know of. This is just how a lot of academics are. 😳
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

we've told you. 

-don't condescend

cards are on the table with this statement. 
    fold.....

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,147
    mickeyrat said:
    Had that for a while to be honest. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,840
    This thread's still open?  I'm guessing Kat is on vacation.  :lol:

More coffee?  Did I hear someone say, "More coffee?"

YES Please!  :smiley: 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:

we've told you. 

-don't condescend
    If I may, I'd like to ask about your third point here. Are you suggesting that experts aren't welcome here? Or merely that you have to keep your expertise under your hat? By way of explanation, I offer for your enjoyment a hypothetical conversation:

A post about gardening:

X: My peonies won't grow. Here's what I'm trying, but they just won't grow.
    Y: Well, they're not growing because _____. 
    X: I don't think that's why. 
    Y: I'm pretty sure that's why.
    X: Yeah, how do you know?!?
    Y: Well, I'm a botanist who specializes in peonies. 
    X: Stop being condescending. 

Fin. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    This thread's still open?  I'm guessing Kat is on vacation.  :lol:

More coffee?  Did I hear someone say, "More coffee?"

YES Please!  :smiley: 

Just started a second pot. Grab a cup and come back and join us. I'm about to take us back to transgender issues to stay on topic. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I can be a little slow on the uptake. all those damaged brain cells....... I make do though.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I'll confess I don't know the precise functional definition of trolling, but I do find these conversations enjoyable. The back and forth about various interesting topics is quite fun. I've seen some excellent questions and some worthy points here. I've tried to modulate my tone to keep things more civil, but the heart of the discussion doesn't seem like a major problem.