The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,684
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^
    I'm assuming they meant in case they had to evacuate and be forced to shelter with hundreds or thousands of other people. Would seem like a super spreader event just waiting to happen. 

"You can take simple steps to prepare for hurricanes, including getting a covid-19 vaccine, and building a ready-kit...."

It just sounds funny. 

And let's face it, anybody that hasn't gotten the vaccine by now isn't going to get it based television ads, Biden telling them to, or referencing the vaccine as a simple step to prepare for a hurricane. 
    The admin believes there are still some persuadable people out there.  That's why they are going with the small vax events, door to door discussions, etc.  I think they are right.  My close friend has been an idiot about this for several months, but now because of the delta variant, he's considering getting it. 
    Well I'm sure there's some, but probably not very many. 

You friend seems like a surprising case. I would think that someone that has held out this long would roll his eyes at the idea of a new variant. So he didn't care before, and now he's considering it? Weird. 
    There are many people who bought into the "it hasn't been tested enough" theory, so they waited.  Others didn't prioritize, etc.  People have reasons, even bad ones.  If 10% of the unvaxxed pop is persuadable, that's a big number and important. 
    Well a big problem is that they're still not fully FDA-approved. They just got "emergency authorization." So that might have contributed to people not having full faith in it. 
    I don't believe for one second that after it receives full approval that vax rates will skyrocket.  
    I don't think so either. But if it was FDA-approved from the outset, maybe there would've been a higher vax rate. But oh yeah, now, it wouldn't make a lick of difference. 
    If we waited for it to go through full approval,  we'd still be waiting.  Not a good tradeoff.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^
    I'm assuming they meant in case they had to evacuate and be forced to shelter with hundreds or thousands of other people. Would seem like a super spreader event just waiting to happen. 

"You can take simple steps to prepare for hurricanes, including getting a covid-19 vaccine, and building a ready-kit...."

It just sounds funny. 

And let's face it, anybody that hasn't gotten the vaccine by now isn't going to get it based television ads, Biden telling them to, or referencing the vaccine as a simple step to prepare for a hurricane. 
    The admin believes there are still some persuadable people out there.  That's why they are going with the small vax events, door to door discussions, etc.  I think they are right.  My close friend has been an idiot about this for several months, but now because of the delta variant, he's considering getting it. 
    I mean, who could have seen variants coming with people not getting vaccinated?????
    No one.  No one could have predicted anything, ever.  Everything that happens is a full out surprise. 
    Why have experts? No one knows anything, but me and the research I did. So what that these people have dedicated their lives and education to these subjects? Me and my financial background knows more than enough than any doctor or scientist. Pssh. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

(Sarcasm can be hard to read on the internet but I hope this was not.)

Man, the downfall of American society is undoubtedly toxic individualism, and the need to be contrarian for no other reason but to be contrarian. Oh, and the selfishness. Oh and we (as a whole) are woefully stupid.
    This one guy from high school who sucked in math seems to know a lot about vaccines, voting machines  and constitutional law.  I might see what he has to say about it.  
    I mean he's probably right - it's all one large concerted effort by thousands (millions?), upon thousands (millions?) of people - of which none want the credit of such a diabolical scheme - to stay tightlipped about this gigantic conspiracy theory.

"THESE VACCINES ARE TOOLS OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER NO ONE KNOWS IF THEY'RE SAFE" (sucks on vape pen, then takes a bite of his "chicken" sandwich from McDonald's, washed down with a liter of Cola)
    Ha, so true.  My buddy smokes and smokes those black market delta 8 vape crap.  So yeah,  don't think I didn't call him out on the shit he puts in his body already. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,751
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^

It just sounds funny. 

You friend seems like a surprising case. I would think that someone that has held out this long would roll his eyes at the idea of a new variant. So he didn't care before, and now he's considering it? Weird. 
    There are many people who bought into the "it hasn't been tested enough" theory, so they waited.  Others didn't prioritize, etc.  People have reasons, even bad ones.  If 10% of the unvaxxed pop is persuadable, that's a big number and important. 
    Well a big problem is that they're still not fully FDA-approved. They just got "emergency authorization." So that might have contributed to people not having full faith in it. 
    I don't believe for one second that after it receives full approval that vax rates will skyrocket.  
    I don't think so either. But if it was FDA-approved from the outset, maybe there would've been a higher vax rate. But oh yeah, now, it wouldn't make a lick of difference. 
    If we waited for it to go through full approval,  we'd still be waiting.  Not a good tradeoff.  
    So why exactly isn't it approved?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^

It just sounds funny. 

because you need at least six months of 'production' data (that's the term I would use in my business).  This is good info for you.  https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/are-covid-vaccines-fda-approved-heres-the-latest/2549097/

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    Signed my 21 month old and 3 year old up for a trial through Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). Hopefully they'll contact me soon and/or they authorize anyway for under 12 years old by September.
  • Options
    Signed my 21 month old and 3 year old up for a trial through Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). Hopefully they'll contact me soon and/or they authorize anyway for under 12 years old by September.
    "liter of cola".. is that a term you use, or is that a Super Troopers reference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zgTcrZ5030
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,839
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^

It just sounds funny. 

Dossiers were submitted in late May and early June for the two products. They are now under review.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^

It just sounds funny. 

because you need at least six months of 'production' data (that's the term I would use in my business).  This is good info for you.  https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/are-covid-vaccines-fda-approved-heres-the-latest/2549097/

This kinda renders the FDA irrelevant in all this if the vaccines can't be "approved," but they can receive "emergency authorization." 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    I mean, yeah, no one wants a Large Farva.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^

It just sounds funny. 

This kinda renders the FDA irrelevant in all this if the vaccines can't be "approved," but they can receive "emergency authorization." 
    They can and will be, it just takes a while and the need to get shots in arms quickly far outweighed the risks of waiting.  That's why the emergency auth process exists, for exactly this type of situation. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258

I would bet the majority of people rejecting the vaccine don't even know what the f the FDA even is. 
    Felix
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,520
    It’s like a McBain movie, the GOP is trying to save real Americans from commie nazis: 

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^

It just sounds funny. 

How so? It's two different FDA processes, emergency authorization or full approval, depending on the circumstances. 
  • Options
    It’s like a McBain movie, the GOP is trying to save real Americans from commie nazis: 

Sure wish she had woken up in Communist China...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^

It just sounds funny. 

How so? It's two different FDA processes, emergency authorization or full approval, depending on the circumstances. 
    Well because if it's available to get without full approval, and it's being pushed on people to get without full approval, then the full approval process is meaningless in this situation.  

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^

It just sounds funny. 

Well because if it's available to get without full approval, and it's being pushed on people to get without full approval, then the full approval process is meaningless in this situation.  
    But there are boosters and other changes coming.  So it always makes sense to go through the full process. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ^

It just sounds funny. 

EUA is only allowed in very specific and limited circumstances, and still involves a full review of safety and efficacy data; it just doesn't involve the longer follow up period, for obvious reasons.

Edit: agree with mrussel that it's important to go through the whole process in due course, for several reasons. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • Options

Sure wish she had woken up in Communist China...
    Ha, yeah.  That would be a gift.  
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,520

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    ^
    for some the logic stops at the last word spoken. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Manitoba is at 80% single dose and 50% double dose, hitting our provincial targets weeks in advance. that's promising. my entire family is fully vaxxed so we can all eat out together next week after golf at the cottage. NORMALCY. 

however, the bible belt is still sitting at about 19% single dose. oh well. have FAITH, I guess. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Manitoba is at 80% single dose and 50% double dose, hitting our provincial targets weeks in advance. that's promising. my entire family is fully vaxxed so we can all eat out together next week after golf at the cottage. NORMALCY. 

however, the bible belt is still sitting at about 19% single dose. oh well. have FAITH, I guess. 
    That’s great!

BC is at 78.4% first dose and 40-% fully vaxxed and second doses are moving up pretty quickly. I think we’ll be at or over 80/70 roughly by end of July. 
  • Options

Is Alberta the Bible belt?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,932

used to be a democrat
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162

Don’t get vaccinated Lauren.  Cases are up 40% (14 day rolling ave). 300 covid fatalities a day would yield annualized about 100k per year , likely almost all Trump voters. So could be upwards of half a million deceased trump voters by 2024. Almost 100% of covid deaths in 2021 were unvaccinated. If they want to play this anti vax Russian roulette, go right ahead.

Meanwhile, Pfizer is developing a booster that is expected to improve its already very good record against all variants to date.

After seeing what happened 1/6, just trying to understand why any of this is bad news.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,932
    coinkydink?

Pfizer to seek OK for 3rd vaccine dose; shots still protect
    By LAURAN NEERGAARD
    8 Jul 2021

Pfizer is about to seek U.S. authorization for a third dose of its COVID-19 vaccine, saying Thursday that another shot within 12 months could dramatically boost immunity and maybe help ward off the latest worrisome coronavirus mutant.

Research from multiple countries shows the Pfizer shot and other widely used COVID-19 vaccines offer strong protection against the highly contagious delta variant, which is spreading rapidly around the world and now accounts for most new U.S. infections.

Two doses of most vaccines are critical to develop high levels of virus-fighting antibodies against all versions of the coronavirus, not just the delta variant -- and most of the world still is desperate to get those initial protective doses as the pandemic continues to rage.

But antibodies naturally wane over time, so studies also are underway to tell if and when boosters might be needed.

On Thursday, Pfizer’s Dr. Mikael Dolsten told The Associated Press that early data from the company's booster study suggests people’s antibody levels jump five- to 10-fold after a third dose, compared to their second dose months earlier.

In August, Pfizer plans to ask the Food and Drug Administration for emergency authorization of a third dose, he said.

Why might that matter for fighting the delta variant? Dolsten pointed to data from Britain and Israel showing the Pfizer vaccine “neutralizes the delta variant very well.” The assumption, he said, is that when antibodies drop low enough, the delta virus eventually could cause a mild infection before the immune system kicks back in.

But FDA authorization would be just a first step -- it wouldn’t automatically mean Americans get offered boosters, cautioned Dr. William Schaffner, a vaccine expert at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Public health authorities would have to decide if they’re really needed, especially since millions of people have no protection.

“The vaccines were designed to keep us out of the hospital” and continue to do so despite the more contagious delta variant, he said. Giving another dose would be “a huge effort while we are at the moment striving to get people the first dose.”

Hours after Pfizer's announcement, U.S. health officials issued a statement saying fully vaccinated Americans don't need a booster yet.

U.S. health agencies “are engaged in a science-based, rigorous process to consider whether or when a booster might be necessary," the FDA and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a joint statement. That work will include data from the drug companies, “but does not rely on those data exclusively,” and any decision on booster shots would happen only when “the science demonstrates that they are needed,” the agencies said.

Currently only about 48% of the U.S. population is fully vaccinated — and some parts of the country have far lower immunization rates, places where the delta variant is surging. On Thursday, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the CDC director, said that’s leading to “two truths” — highly immunized swaths of America are getting back to normal while hospitalizations are rising in other places.

“This rapid rise is troubling,” she said: A few weeks ago the delta variant accounted for just over a quarter of new U.S. cases, but it now accounts for just over 50% — and in some places, such as parts of the Midwest, as much as 80%.

Also Thursday, researchers from France’s Pasteur Institute reported new evidence that full vaccination is critical.

In laboratory tests, blood from several dozen people given their first dose of the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines “barely inhibited” the delta variant, the team reported in the journal Nature. But weeks after getting their second dose, nearly all had what researchers deemed an immune boost strong enough to neutralize the delta variant — even if it was a little less potent than against earlier versions of the virus.

The French researchers also tested unvaccinated people who had survived a bout of the coronavirus, and found their antibodies were four-fold less potent against the new mutant. But a single vaccine dose dramatically boosted their antibody levels — sparking cross-protection against the delta variant and two other mutants, the study found. That supports public health recommendations that COVID-19 survivors get vaccinated rather than relying on natural immunity.

The lab experiments add to real-world data that the delta variant’s mutations aren’t evading the vaccines most widely used in Western countries, but underscore that it’s crucial to get more of the world immunized before the virus evolves even more.

Researchers in Britain found two doses of the Pfizer vaccine, for example, are 96% protective against hospitalization with the delta variant and 88% effective against symptomatic infection. That finding was echoed last weekend by Canadian researchers, while a report from Israel suggested protection against mild delta infection may have dipped lower, to 64%.

Whether the fully vaccinated still need to wear masks in places where the delta variant is surging is a growing question. In the U.S., the CDC maintains that fully vaccinated people don’t need to. Even before the delta variant came along, the vaccines weren’t perfect, but the best evidence suggests that if vaccinated people nonetheless get the coronavirus, they’ll have much milder cases.

“Let me emphasize, if you were vaccinated, you have a very high degree of protection,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the U.S. government’s top infectious disease expert, said Thursday.

In the U.S., case rates have been rising for weeks and the rate of hospitalizations has started to tick up, rising 7% from the previous seven-day average, Walensky told reporters Thursday. However, deaths remain down on average, which some experts believe is at least partly due to high vaccination rates in people 65 and older — who are among the most susceptible to severe disease.

___

Associated Press writer Mike Stobbe contributed to this story.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    So many different subjects on that page. Sheesh, jose! ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    mrussel1 said:

Is Alberta the Bible belt?
    no, alberta is texas. Manitoba's bible belt is the the rural towns surrounding Winnipeg. mostly to the south near the US border. I'm not sure if other provinces have the same "problem". lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    edited July 2021

Its like Bizarro America where Republicans were still normal, rational people. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
This discussion has been closed.