Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    I was wondering why I had so many unread posts.

We finally had our "here's a YouTube video; educate yourselves" moment.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,487
    edited January 2021
    23scidoo said:
    benjs said:
    23scidoo said:
    I'm not sure how many of the covid deathes are really from the virus..people start talk here..
    I'm not sure it matters whether deaths are directly from the virus, or resulting from the overloaded health care system, or by the overworked health care workers, or from the steep mental health decline since the pandemic. All are inextricably linked, and spending energy to determine the magnitude of the problem while the problem indisputably remains doesn't seem like a productive venture to me.
    My friend it's not so simple..here, lot of people went to the hospitals for other reasons and they came out as covid deaths..with no giving a good reason to their people, how they came up with virus..
    i'd like to know if you got this information from a reputable source, and if so, please link it here. 

i just can't for the life of me understand what people who think this is some big conspiracy believe the motivation for this to be. 
    Again, it's not so simple..all the links i have are in Greeks..
    but i tell you this..all November and December they told us that my town is on red code, the hospitals are full, etc..
    friend of mine test positive and went to the hospital for the test..from 15 beds on ICU, ten was empty..
    btw, media in Greece took two times from 20M euros for covid campaign..
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    your friend got a covid test in the ICU?  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    I thought I had COVID this weekend.  Came on with massive chills and body aches Friday night.  Felt slightly better Saturday but still aches and fever.  Sunday had a fever of 103 in the am but was back to normal by 6pm or so.  It was about a 48 hour ordeal.

I did get a COVID test Saturday afternoon...got the results at 3am this morning as negative.

Just the flu I guess.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    your friend got a covid test in the ICU?  
    No but he has eyes..and he is not crazy or anything else..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    23scidoo said:
    benjs said:
    23scidoo said:
    I'm not sure how many of the covid deathes are really from the virus..people start talk here..
    I'm not sure it matters whether deaths are directly from the virus, or resulting from the overloaded health care system, or by the overworked health care workers, or from the steep mental health decline since the pandemic. All are inextricably linked, and spending energy to determine the magnitude of the problem while the problem indisputably remains doesn't seem like a productive venture to me.
    My friend it's not so simple..here, lot of people went to the hospitals for other reasons and they came out as covid deaths..with no giving a good reason to their people, how they came up with virus..
    i'd like to know if you got this information from a reputable source, and if so, please link it here. 

i just can't for the life of me understand what people who think this is some big conspiracy believe the motivation for this to be. 
    A story was widely reported in Colorado 2 people died of gunshot wounds who had tested positive, so it was recorded as a covid death. So I have no doubt it is being over reported.
    That being said, if its 300,000 deaths instead of 400,000, that doesn't make it less of a pandemic. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    23scidoo said:
    benjs said:
    23scidoo said:

A story was widely reported in Colorado 2 people died of gunshot wounds who had tested positive, so it was recorded as a covid death. So I have no doubt it is being over reported.
    That being said, if its 300,000 deaths instead of 400,000, that doesn't make it less of a pandemic. 
    It could make a different if they told you, your man died from covid, when it's not and you know it and you can't go to the funeral..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    interesting....the cdc thinks covid deaths might be under reported:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-10-cdc-covid-deaths-under-reported.html
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    23scidoo said:
    mace1229 said:
    23scidoo said:
    benjs said:
    23scidoo said:

It could make a different if they told you, your man died from covid, when it's not and you know it and you can't go to the funeral..
    When someone dies of CoVID you can't have a funeral for them? Is that true in any other countries? I've never heard of that.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    I thought I had COVID this weekend.  Came on with massive chills and body aches Friday night.  Felt slightly better Saturday but still aches and fever.  Sunday had a fever of 103 in the am but was back to normal by 6pm or so.  It was about a 48 hour ordeal.

I did get a COVID test Saturday afternoon...got the results at 3am this morning as negative.

Just the flu I guess.
    Can take up to 5 days after exposure for positive test to result, so maybe get another test Tuesday or Wednesday to be sure.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Just the flu I guess.
    Can take up to 5 days after exposure for positive test to result, so maybe get another test Tuesday or Wednesday to be sure.
    But if it was Covid I likely would have been exposed at least 5-7 days ago right?  

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Just the flu I guess.
    But if it was Covid I likely would have been exposed at least 5-7 days ago right?  
    How do you know that?
    For some folks symptoms show immediately, for others never.
    Unfortunately we don't have a hard and fast Covid playbook.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Just the flu I guess.
    How do you know that?
    true...

• Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Just the flu I guess.
    How do you know that?
    true...
    Not trying to alarm you. Just had somebody I know have this exact situation. Other family members were positive, he tested negative, was sure he had somehow dodged it, but lo and behold got retested a few days later to be safe and was positive.
  • Options

Just the flu I guess.
    I had the same thing last year, late February/early March. Had over 102 fever and chills that lasted only about 12 hours. Other than a lingering cough that lasted a month, I felt fine the next day.  At the time they were only giving covid tests to those with known exposure to covid, so they wouldn't test me. Now we know the fever only lasts a day or less in lots of cases, makes me wonder how many people had it back then. Would be interesting to see a mass antibodies test to see how many people did have it. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Just the flu I guess.
    I had the same thing last year, late February/early March. Had over 102 fever and chills that lasted only about 12 hours. Other than a lingering cough that lasted a month, I felt fine the next day.  At the time they were only giving covid tests to those with known exposure to covid, so they wouldn't test me. Now we know the fever only lasts a day or less in lots of cases, makes me wonder how many people had it back then. Would be interesting to see a mass antibodies test to see how many people did have it. 
    It's funny because I was just talking with someone Friday about how I hadn't been sick in years and then boom....sick as hell.

I've probably only had a flu shot about 2 out of the last 10 years.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    mace1229 said:

Just the flu I guess.
    I really wish they would push the antibodies test because we may have another 30 million people who had it that never tested, but I don't know how effective that test is.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Just the flu I guess.
    This is true if you were showing symptoms  then the test would be positive  because  why would you have symptoms and be negative? Its only if no symptoms  you could be positive  in 5-10 days .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    It’s definitely still possible to have a false negative result. It’s less likely when the person is symptomatic than asymptomatic, but still not rare. A repeat test would be a good idea. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    But getting a fever is your body responding  to a virus (of any kind) so it would be present as there is enough in you to cause a response . So you mean the test is not good? 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    But getting a fever is your body responding  to a virus (of any kind) so it would be present as there is enough in you to cause a response . So you mean the test is not good? 

No test is perfect. All diagnostic tests have the potential for false positive and false negative results. The covid PCR tests have a very, very small false positive rate but a not insignificant false negative rate, which depends on a number of factors including the adequacy of the sample, the method of sampling, and how good that particular model of test is. It isn't a matter of good vs. not good.
  • Options
    benjs said:
    23scidoo said:
    mace1229 said:
    23scidoo said:
    benjs said:
    23scidoo said:

When someone dies of CoVID you can't have a funeral for them? Is that true in any other countries? I've never heard of that.
    Limited people allowed..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    My intuition is pretty accurate. I can just look at someone and with 99.5% accuracy tell if they have covid or not. That's better than some of the testing facilities. 
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    benjs said:
    23scidoo said:
    mace1229 said:
    23scidoo said:
    benjs said:
    23scidoo said:

Limited people allowed..

Is that different from restrictions on all funerals?

Although the rules vary by state or province, most places in Canada and many in the US have restrictions on number of people allowed at funerals and other gatherings, regardless of cause. 
  • Options
    I havent heard of more restrictions because of the cause of death. That doesn't make any sense if there are more restrictions on a funeral because they died of covid. The week they take to embalm the body and prepare the funeral, I'm pretty sure he isn't spreading it anymore. 
  • Options
    I think the  virus is long gone in the dead. What kills people is the bodies immune response  cytokine storm and pneumonia 2nd infection.  I saw a dr say dead dont really transmit. 
     We have a rule on numbers at a funeral  for any cause here in  u.k
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    This could go in the GOP Thread, but here it is

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    Bars,gyms and salons are opening back up in my area after 1 week of red. Going back to orange with no one in our hospitals with covid and only one or two cases a day.

This is a thought I had on the lesser hit places like my province. There is a large chance that once we go back to normal our numbers will actually be greater than they are right now while in lockdown. There is a likely scenario that in the fall or winter if and when NA goes back to normal that our numbers will actually spike dramatically with only 50% of our provinces population likely to get the vaccine. This is just a testament as to how low our numbers are right now. People are freaking out if 1 case is in their school I am really curious how this flips with the reporting of the numbers after everyone that wants to be vaccinated is. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    rgambs said:
    Went on the tram this morning, like at 8:10 in the morning.

40% maybe had masks. With the recommendation being to use it during rush hours.
    Giesecke redeemed??
    He's gone from the spotlight. Hopefully he can be redeemed at least once more before the pandemic ends.

rgambs said:
    Went on the tram this morning, like at 8:10 in the morning.

40% maybe had masks. With the recommendation being to use it during rush hours.
    Giesecke redeemed??
    I remember some strong boasts about Swedes doing the right/smart things without needing the government to tell them to...
    The smartest people believe Sweden is doing the right/smart thing and not the right/smart thing at the same time:

https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics/swedish-prime-minister-admits-strategy-to-stop-virus-fell-short

Swedish Prime Minister Admits Strategy to Stop Virus Fell Short Frances Schwartzkopff

(Bloomberg) --

Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said his government should have taken more aggressive steps and moved more quickly to stop the spread of the pandemic, and he takes full responsibility for the initial strategy that led the country to suffer a disproportionately high number of deaths.

In an interview with Dagens Nyheter, Lofven said the government’s response to the spread of the virus among the elderly was inadequate, and that testing should have begun earlier.

“As prime minister, I take full responsibility for the strategy that we have,” Lofven said.

Sweden began stepping up its response to the virus only recently, after deaths, particularly among older people, rose to per-capita levels that are more than three times those of its closest regional peer, Denmark. Even King Carl XVI Gustaf has called the nation’s response a failure, a rare rebuke of the government by a Swedish monarch.

In what many characterized as a too-little, too-late response, Sweden earlier this month enacted a new law that restricts private gatherings and allows for fines and shuttering of businesses that don’t follow restrictions such as caps on the number of visitors. Previously, authorities relied on voluntary compliance with general recommendations.

Lofven also tried to defend the government’s approach at the outset of the pandemic, arguing that no one really knew back then how the situation would develop. Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s top epidemiologist and the chief architect behind the country’s Covid strategy, proposed the light-touch approach from the get-go, based on an idea that the virus would be around for a long time and that recurring lockdowns weren’t a practical long-term solution.

Lofven told Dagens Nyheter that the government’s initial priority was to increase the amount of intensive care available. That shifted focus away from testing, including delaying the creation of the infrastructure needed to conduct extensive testing.

©2021 Bloomberg L.P.

• Options
    PJNB said:
    Bars,gyms and salons are opening back up in my area after 1 week of red. Going back to orange with no one in our hospitals with covid and only one or two cases a day.

This is a thought I had on the lesser hit places like my province. There is a large chance that once we go back to normal our numbers will actually be greater than they are right now while in lockdown. There is a likely scenario that in the fall or winter if and when NA goes back to normal that our numbers will actually spike dramatically with only 50% of our provinces population likely to get the vaccine. This is just a testament as to how low our numbers are right now. People are freaking out if 1 case is in their school I am really curious how this flips with the reporting of the numbers after everyone that wants to be vaccinated is. 
    I'm hoping this lasts for other illnesses. Kids come to school sick all the time. People come to work sick al the time because they don't want to burn half their yearly vacation being home sick. I'd like to see more freedom with sick days at work and restrictions with sending kids to school sick, 
This discussion has been closed.