Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    Very informative article about what seems to have been another botched and rushed effort to push out an ineffective treatment.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/10/very-very-bad-look-remdesivir-first-fda-approved-covid-19-drug
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    T cells from people that  contracted  sars 1 are still found in ex sufferers  now and thats many years ago it was around so im confident  in the T cell response. It really matters not how long the immune cells hang around after infection. Its all about the T cell.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,031
    edited October 2020
    https://youtu.be/LGvqZqsJIgo

This is an accurate timescale. 96000 cases a day here rising in elderly  groups  x3 on 3 weeks back.But then a different study kings college  say its half that. We need a full lockdown  NOW. No truth to be found as a concrete fact. Fuck this 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,256
    edited October 2020
    Yes, it makes me sick to my stomach too. We have a president who lied to us starting in January, a whole govt full of inept people who stood by and said nothing while he lied to us; a nation dull of governors who thought ABC stores and Chick-Fil-A drive-throughs were essential businesses; half the population of Americans flocking to garden centers and home improvement stores; construction crews continuing on with their development, because that was also essential. All this in March. Never mind the summer or now. March. We blew it. It's too late. The wreckage is done, it's every man/woman/they for themselves at this point. Good luck.

Where I'm from (BC) it's not like we closed everything.  Well lots of things did for the first months, but then businesses tried to figure out how to operate at half capacity.  Restaurants tried to adapt to take out (via things like skipthedishes).   Construction keeps going.  Cases have slowly been climbing here, but they're substantially less than the US.   It seems to me the US has a few things going against it.  Many of the leaders didn't take it seriously and encourage or help business to change their behaviour to minimize risks of Coronavirus.   Citizens didn't take it serious and didn't practice safe distancing, wear masks, or avoid large gatherings. 

If we can't figure out how to live with it, I think we're fucked.   It feels like Governments are slowly running out of resources to try and keep people home.   If the only solution is open up, virus spreads out, lockdown, it's going to do pretty rough economically.   If need to survive another year or more of this, people need to adapt to it.  
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Yes, it makes me sick to my stomach too. We have a president who lied to us starting in January, a whole govt full of inept people who stood by and said nothing while he lied to us; a nation dull of governors who thought ABC stores and Chick-Fil-A drive-throughs were essential businesses; half the population of Americans flocking to garden centers and home improvement stores; construction crews continuing on with their development, because that was also essential. All this in March. Never mind the summer or now. March. We blew it. It's too late. The wreckage is done, it's every man/woman/they for themselves at this point. Good luck.

Where I'm from (BC) it's not like we closed everything.  Well lots of things did for the first months, but then businesses tried to figure out how to operate at half capacity.  Restaurants tried to adapt to take out (via things like skipthedishes).   Construction keeps going.  Cases have slowly been climbing here, but they're substantially less than the US.   It seems to me the US has a few things going against it.  Many of the leaders didn't take it seriously and encourage or help business to change their behaviour to minimize risks of Coronavirus.   Citizens didn't take it serious and didn't practice safe distancing, wear masks, or avoid large gatherings. 

If we can't figure out how to live with it, I think we're fucked.   It feels like Governments are slowly running out of resources to try and keep people home.   If the only solution is open up, virus spreads out, lockdown, it's going to do pretty rough economically.   If need to survive another year or more of this, people need to adapt to it.  
    i think the difference is the mindset, the willingness to adapt to the situation instead of just saying "fuck this i'm not wearing a mask/staying away from people". the situation is getting a bit out of hand here too. i don't know why. but our chief public health doc is saying that the people that are testing positive, when they try to do contact tracing, if you have more than 50 contacts, you aren't taking this seriously. if you can't remember where you during the potential the incubation period, you're fucking it up. 

our premier went on tv and told people to "grow up". LOL. he's an ass, but he's direct. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,256
    Zod said:

i think the difference is the mindset, the willingness to adapt to the situation instead of just saying "fuck this i'm not wearing a mask/staying away from people". the situation is getting a bit out of hand here too. i don't know why. but our chief public health doc is saying that the people that are testing positive, when they try to do contact tracing, if you have more than 50 contacts, you aren't taking this seriously. if you can't remember where you during the potential the incubation period, you're fucking it up. 

our premier went on tv and told people to "grow up". LOL. he's an ass, but he's direct. 
    That's the struggle here too.   Some businesses are trying to return to normal.    For the first few months of the pandemic I worked 100% from home.   Then for several months I'd go in about a day a week.    Since government had their employees staying home, the city was trying to reduce people on public transit by making downtown parking $1/hour.   Now government employees are back 2 days a week, parkades are back to full rate, and buses are filling up (but nowhere near precovid full).

I don't have a government job but I'm back at full time, meeting 3 or 4 clients a day, and riding public transit to work every day.  I have a plexiglass separator on my desk, wear a mask (as do my clients), and use hand sanitizer all the time, but I feel like it's going to be a matter of time before I get it.

The longer we're in it... you can feel the pressure mounting on government/businesses to try and return to normal....

Here in BC were also a bit lopsided.  We have 1 region which is getting most of the cases.   I live on an Island which is less densely populated, so the cases seem more moderate than the mainland.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Yes, at this point we need to adapt. That's all that's left to do. But the adaptation means a long, drawn out economic depression. 

My point, which I didn't make well, is that there should have been a three week, NATIONAL HARD LOCKDOWN in March, not the half ass measures 50 governors put in place because the federal govt didn't step in.

Our opportunity to stop the economic bleeding occurred in March. But those fuckers didn't care, because they all moved their stocks around in secret -- before anyone even know what was coming, they were cashing out and didn't stand to lose anything. It's disgusting.
  • Options
    Yes, at this point we need to adapt. That's all that's left to do. But the adaptation means a long, drawn out economic depression. 

My point, which I didn't make well, is that there should have been a three week, NATIONAL HARD LOCKDOWN in March, not the half ass measures 50 governors put in place because the federal govt didn't step in.

Our opportunity to stop the economic bleeding occurred in March. But those fuckers didn't care, because they all moved their stocks around in secret -- before anyone even know what was coming, they were cashing out and didn't stand to lose anything. It's disgusting.
    i agree. i don't understand why we don't just do a "let's hunker down for 3 weeks and eradicate this shit once and for all". get the military involved to deliver supplies and help transport people to hospitals. all health care workers quarantined together during this period so they can still do their work and not infect anyone from the outside. 

it would suck. it would be scary. people would revolt. but it's the only way to do it. unless a vaccine is 98|% effective, we're living with this forever. and that idea sucks. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    americans would not stand for a hard 3 week lockdown. 

you know, freedumb and all.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

oh, i know. i don't even know how it would be received here. we had anti-lockdown demonstrations at our provincial legislature. sure, there was 10 people, but it was still organized. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

oh, i know. i don't even know how it would be received here. we had anti-lockdown demonstrations at our provincial legislature. sure, there was 10 people, but it was still organized. 
    at least you guys did not have the armed militias showing up at the state houses like we did.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,031
    edited October 2020
    We had a hard lockdown it worked to a point. We need it now but  the idiots here wont adhere to it. Lockdown gives the  health service a chance. Without it soon it will collapse.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829

I think if somehow we knew a three-hour lockdown would end the whole thing, we'd have people out there sabotaging it because "freedom."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    US cases hit 90 000 daily.  Glad to know the US has rounded the curve...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rumour has it manitoba is going to code red today, with upwards of 500 (!) new cases announced (again, rumour). i'll find out in a bit when the chief public health officer holds his press conference. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    rumour has it manitoba is going to code red today, with upwards of 500 (!) new cases announced (again, rumour). i'll find out in a bit when the chief public health officer holds his press conference. 

What does it mean to go to code red?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

is that like an ironic operation warp speed?

• Options

rounded the curve and headed straight towards the cliff.

• Options
    OnWis97 said:

not entirely sure yet. i'll find out in half an hour, i guess. 

i would imagine the same as the spring (i just don't think we had the "code" lingo at the time). bars and restaurants closed or only takeout/delivery, essential services only, no gathering in groups, which is already recommended, just not enforced yet. in the spring people were getting tickets. i'm guessing that's what's going to happen. 

i just hope they don't close the schools again. there are so few cases in the schools; it's the one place they are doing things right. it's the fucking adults that are being irresponsible assholes. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Bars a restaurants have been shuttered in some places in Ontario and the cases continue to stay high...not so sure why they are singled out.  A church in a small town near me has 30 cases and several hundred people isolating...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The PM Of Canada said we still got a chance at Christmas...very doubtful.

in northern Ontario 2 Americans were fined for breaking quarantines laws.  I’d like to see the border shut completely.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

in northern Ontario 2 Americans were fined for breaking quarantines laws.  I’d like to see the border shut completely.
    you all should close the borders. you live above a bunch of lawless people who refuse to take the simplest precautions such as wearing a mask. i'd close the border if i were trudeau.

• Options

you all should close the borders. you live above a bunch of lawless people who refuse to take the simplest precautions such as wearing a mask. i'd close the border if i were trudeau.

Canada is like a nice apartment above a meth lab” - quote unknown

Bobby Orr now endorses Trump.

”he’s the kind of teammate I’d want “ - Bobby Orr.

I’m a big Bobby Orr.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

I’m a big Bobby Orr.  

are you kidding? bobby orr just broke my heart.

• Options

our borders haven't been reopened, to my knowledge. it was renewed until oct 31st. not sure of the new date if there is one. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017

We never said that when the curve was rounded that it would be pointed down.
  • Options
    The borders have never really been closed.  I live on the border.  I’ve seen plenty of American plated cars.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

We never said that when the curve was rounded that it would be pointed down.
    yes americans like that parabolic curve.

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,642

I’m a big Bobby Orr.  

It's that bubbling with Ether during the crystallization process that'll get ya! How on earth, Richard Prior got high off of Ether, I'll never know, but always wish I'd tried! Dang. 
This discussion has been closed.