The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    Poncier said:
    tbergs said:
    Poncier said:
    mace1229 said:

You just won the world series, go celebrate. But keep the mask on.
    You don't seem to understand how any of this works. 

Masks are not a substitute for social distancing and staying apart from other people. 
    masks are to be used where social distancing is not possible. 

do i think anyone who is positive should do something like this? absolutely not. but winning the world series is extenuating circumstances. it's not like he ran over and kissed his 108 year old grandmother on the lips. 
    If only we could all looks so good at 108...

Does that even qualify as a kiss? It looks like a nuzzle...
    How do you kiss your grandmother?
    I don't. Been gone for 20 years already, but if I did, sure as hell not like that.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Poncier said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Masks are not a substitute for social distancing and staying apart from other people. 
    I do understand. He just won the world series after spending 2 at least games in a small dugout with 26 players. Not to mention meetings, warm up, traveling to and from hotel and everything else. Is 10 minutes of running around the field really going to make a difference after all that? Let him celebrate the WS win. Mask or no mask probably made little difference at that point, but I think it would look better for him and the team if he kept it on.
    Shouldn't be up to him.
    What would Sweden's government have done?
    Sent out an 

https://youtu.be/cvChjHcABPA
    Well played Fernando.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    We just doubled our student population; I teach from a little corner of my classroom and don't move.  I feel like it is only a matter of time before an outbreak occurs.  In my school we have had teachers have legit panic attacks so severe that they were rushed to the hospital.   
    Its just unfair on teachers to risk their  life thats  not part of the deal. Fuck this shit
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Couldn't teachers atleast have those face shields..?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Couldn't teachers atleast have those face shields..?
    Teacher don't need to be living in fear. 

Also, we need to start arming them.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    So...with ACA on the way out, is a positive Covid test going to be treated as a pre-exisitng condition?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    OnWis97 said:
    So...with ACA on the way out, is a positive Covid test going to be treated as a pre-exisitng condition?
    for the 3 months that fuckface is still president. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    edited October 2020
    mace1229 said:

masks are to be used where social distancing is not possible. 

do i think anyone who is positive should do something like this? absolutely not. but winning the world series is extenuating circumstances. it's not like he ran over and kissed his 108 year old grandmother on the lips. 
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883

Justin Turner's selfish World Series celebration is a symptom of a much larger problem

You’d think baseball, of all sports, would know the dangers of celebrating before the final out is in the books. You’d think the Dodgers, just three days removed from one of the most wrenching last-second defeats in World Series history, would realize that a game’s not over just because you want it to be.

And yet baseball might have just managed to blow a 10-run, two-out, two-strike, bottom-of-the-ninth lead on COVID-19, all because Justin Turner had to get his picture with the World Series trophy after being pulled from the lineup in the 8th inning for testing positive.

I don’t know what it’s like to win a World Series, and probably neither do you. But here’s what we all do know: We know what it’s like to go months without hugging our distant loved ones. We know what it’s like to watch children wear cute little masks, unaware of how heartbreaking that is. We know what it’s like to stare, day after day, at the same walls, at the same computer screen. We know what it’s like to worry about the health of our older relatives, worry about the effects on kids kept out of school, worry about our jobs and our mental health. We know difficult times demand difficult choices.

So, yeah, when you see someone like Turner just casually flaunting the hard-and-fast, no-gray-area rules a billion-dollar industry put in place to preserve some sense of normalcy (yes, and financial solvency) — it doesn’t go over so well. You see Turner — a guy who, again, literally just tested positive for COVID-19 — happily partying mask-off among his teammates, the same way you see beachgoers or attendees at a rally mingling up cheek-to-cheek, and you want to rip your television off the wall.

Make no mistake: This isn’t about mask-shaming or pearl-clutching scare tactics about “what might happen if.” This is science. The dude had a positive test. This isn’t “acceptable risk.” This is willfully endangering others — and their kids, and their older relatives — in the midst of a new surge for a few minutes of celebration.

I know all the smug defenses — the almost-certain survival rate for someone in Turner’s demographic; the relatively low possibility of transmission in an open-air environment; the fact that he might have already infected teammates before the test results were known; the whole aw, come on, let ’em celebrate mindset. I also know that you only need to look as far as the Dodgers’ bullpen to see what COVID-19 can do to even healthy pro athletes.

Closer Kenley Jansen contracted COVID-19 prior to the start of the season, and it wracked him for two full weeks. "Recovering from COVID was tough," Jansen told ESPN this week. "You still feel side effects once in a while. Your body feels — I don't know, fighting it."

Turner is the focus here, but he’s not the scapegoat; he had plenty of enablers along the way. Baseball and the Dodgers have plenty to answer for here too. After a stumbling start with multiple infections across several teams, the cries of “Shut it down!” surged. But baseball found its footing and pressed on, and like the NBA and NHL, played for weeks on end — 58 straight days, until Turner — without a positive test. That’s an admirable testament — plus a healthy share of good luck — to the league and the players who sacrificed for a greater purpose.

But the league owes the Dodgers a fruit basket for winning Tuesday night. Had baseball adhered to its own guidelines, Game 7 would have likely been postponed, with many of Turner’s teammates potentially quarantined as well. A Game 6 victory prevented that public-relations nightmare, but couldn’t prevent the terrible optics of Turner sitting on the field, unmasked and grinning, amid dozens of teammates and team officials.

Team and league security officials apparently tried to stop Turner from rejoining his teammates, but he was determined to push through, regardless of what it meant for everyone around him. And, apparently, he had some accomplices willing to bend the rules on his behalf.

“We’re going to get him a picture, then get him off [the field],” one Dodgers official said, according to The Athletic. “We can’t deny him that. The guy is the heart and soul of the organization.”

This is the conflict that’s at the heart of the entire coronavirus response in America. We don’t want to deny ourselves any good times — the parties, the hangouts, the World Series celebrations — even if it means spreading the virus further, even if it just means extending the date when America returns to “normal” far past that of so many other countries that have curbed the virus’ spread.

Sure, anyone with a shred of empathy would feel bad for Turner, having to sit on a folding chair in some sterile Globe Life Stadium back room, watching his teammates celebrate one of their life’s highlights just a few feet away. But how many millions of Americans have missed out on celebrating less-televised — but no less meaningful — moments of their own? Birthdays, graduations, reunions, holidays — all sacrificed in the name of the greater good. I’d love to have a World Series-style dogpile with my extended family on Thanksgiving. But that’s not happening this year, not for me, probably not for you, and not for most Americans.

We’re all looking for pandemic solutions. In the absence of solutions, we’re looking for hope. And in the absence of hope, we’re looking for anyone to tell us relaxthis isn’t really all that bad, regardless of whether they have any idea what they’re talking about. Turner and all the other Americans who continue to hang out in crowds, mingle up close in bars, attend crowded rallies and weddings and parties are in effect saying, “See? This is no big deal!”

If only that were the truth.

The World Series is done. The much larger, far more important battle isn’t even close to being over.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    OnWis97 said:
    yes.

we do not know the long term effects. some studies have shown chronic lung changes in college athletes that have had it. some studies have shown that it ages the brain about 10 years.

insurance companies are gonna do whatever they can to not be on the hook for long term covid related complications. if it is pre-existing and ACA goes away, it ain't getting covered and insurance rates for those who have had covid will go up, assuming they are considered insurable.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

France going back to lockdown (but keeping schools open, If I read it correctly)

Germany going into partial lockdown
  • Options
    My moms childhood friend living in France and her husband both have Covid, and don't know how they could have gotten it because they haven't left the house pretty much :/ They are quite old... I think he is closing in on 80...

Visited them last fall and stayed a few days at their place in Aix en Provence. Makes me worried. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    My moms childhood friend living in France and her husband both have Covid, and don't know how they could have gotten it because they haven't left the house pretty much :/ They are quite old... I think he is closing in on 80...

Visited them last fall and stayed a few days at their place in Aix en Provence. Makes me worried. 
    Sorry to hear that. I hope they will be ok. One of my best friends lives in Paris. He is in his 50s and I still worry. But I think he is being pretty careful.

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    mcgruff10 said:
    We just doubled our student population; I teach from a little corner of my classroom and don't move.  I feel like it is only a matter of time before an outbreak occurs.  In my school we have had teachers have legit panic attacks so severe that they were rushed to the hospital.   
    Hey I know I was a dick to you, I totally regret it and I’m sorry, but I do want to say I hope all goes well and that you stay safe. I love teachers. So now the virus on top of people with guns....you guys are the most underpaid profession in the world. Sorry again. Stay safe! 
  • Options
    My (LITTLE) brother is a teacher and he makes more money than I do. I would never call teachers underpaid because of that.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    So your should make more than a teacher?

Just curious what you think.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,012
    edited October 2020

I should make more money than my brother. If that lowers teachers pay all over the world - so be it.

And he has 2x Neil Young Ragged Glory on vinyl he bought for like 6 dollars each.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

I should make more money than my brother. If that lowers teachers pay all over the world - so be it.
    Haha.  So it’s a joke on your brother and nothing against teachers?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Right - so you are just making a joke.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Yes... 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    mcgruff10 said:

Justin Turner's selfish World Series celebration is a symptom of a much larger problem

You’d think baseball, of all sports, would know the dangers of celebrating before the final out is in the books. You’d think the Dodgers, just three days removed from one of the most wrenching last-second defeats in World Series history, would realize that a game’s not over just because you want it to be.

And yet baseball might have just managed to blow a 10-run, two-out, two-strike, bottom-of-the-ninth lead on COVID-19, all because Justin Turner had to get his picture with the World Series trophy after being pulled from the lineup in the 8th inning for testing positive.

I don’t know what it’s like to win a World Series, and probably neither do you. But here’s what we all do know: We know what it’s like to go months without hugging our distant loved ones. We know what it’s like to watch children wear cute little masks, unaware of how heartbreaking that is. We know what it’s like to stare, day after day, at the same walls, at the same computer screen. We know what it’s like to worry about the health of our older relatives, worry about the effects on kids kept out of school, worry about our jobs and our mental health. We know difficult times demand difficult choices.

So, yeah, when you see someone like Turner just casually flaunting the hard-and-fast, no-gray-area rules a billion-dollar industry put in place to preserve some sense of normalcy (yes, and financial solvency) — it doesn’t go over so well. You see Turner — a guy who, again, literally just tested positive for COVID-19 — happily partying mask-off among his teammates, the same way you see beachgoers or attendees at a rally mingling up cheek-to-cheek, and you want to rip your television off the wall.

Make no mistake: This isn’t about mask-shaming or pearl-clutching scare tactics about “what might happen if.” This is science. The dude had a positive test. This isn’t “acceptable risk.” This is willfully endangering others — and their kids, and their older relatives — in the midst of a new surge for a few minutes of celebration.

I know all the smug defenses — the almost-certain survival rate for someone in Turner’s demographic; the relatively low possibility of transmission in an open-air environment; the fact that he might have already infected teammates before the test results were known; the whole aw, come on, let ’em celebrate mindset. I also know that you only need to look as far as the Dodgers’ bullpen to see what COVID-19 can do to even healthy pro athletes.

Closer Kenley Jansen contracted COVID-19 prior to the start of the season, and it wracked him for two full weeks. "Recovering from COVID was tough," Jansen told ESPN this week. "You still feel side effects once in a while. Your body feels — I don't know, fighting it."

Turner is the focus here, but he’s not the scapegoat; he had plenty of enablers along the way. Baseball and the Dodgers have plenty to answer for here too. After a stumbling start with multiple infections across several teams, the cries of “Shut it down!” surged. But baseball found its footing and pressed on, and like the NBA and NHL, played for weeks on end — 58 straight days, until Turner — without a positive test. That’s an admirable testament — plus a healthy share of good luck — to the league and the players who sacrificed for a greater purpose.

But the league owes the Dodgers a fruit basket for winning Tuesday night. Had baseball adhered to its own guidelines, Game 7 would have likely been postponed, with many of Turner’s teammates potentially quarantined as well. A Game 6 victory prevented that public-relations nightmare, but couldn’t prevent the terrible optics of Turner sitting on the field, unmasked and grinning, amid dozens of teammates and team officials.

Team and league security officials apparently tried to stop Turner from rejoining his teammates, but he was determined to push through, regardless of what it meant for everyone around him. And, apparently, he had some accomplices willing to bend the rules on his behalf.

“We’re going to get him a picture, then get him off [the field],” one Dodgers official said, according to The Athletic. “We can’t deny him that. The guy is the heart and soul of the organization.”

This is the conflict that’s at the heart of the entire coronavirus response in America. We don’t want to deny ourselves any good times — the parties, the hangouts, the World Series celebrations — even if it means spreading the virus further, even if it just means extending the date when America returns to “normal” far past that of so many other countries that have curbed the virus’ spread.

Sure, anyone with a shred of empathy would feel bad for Turner, having to sit on a folding chair in some sterile Globe Life Stadium back room, watching his teammates celebrate one of their life’s highlights just a few feet away. But how many millions of Americans have missed out on celebrating less-televised — but no less meaningful — moments of their own? Birthdays, graduations, reunions, holidays — all sacrificed in the name of the greater good. I’d love to have a World Series-style dogpile with my extended family on Thanksgiving. But that’s not happening this year, not for me, probably not for you, and not for most Americans.

We’re all looking for pandemic solutions. In the absence of solutions, we’re looking for hope. And in the absence of hope, we’re looking for anyone to tell us relaxthis isn’t really all that bad, regardless of whether they have any idea what they’re talking about. Turner and all the other Americans who continue to hang out in crowds, mingle up close in bars, attend crowded rallies and weddings and parties are in effect saying, “See? This is no big deal!”

The World Series is done. The much larger, far more important battle isn’t even close to being over.

Totally disgraceful I’m sorry but to me he’s a giant asshole! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hey I know I was a dick to you, I totally regret it and I’m sorry, but I do want to say I hope all goes well and that you stay safe. I love teachers. So now the virus on top of people with guns....you guys are the most underpaid profession in the world. Sorry again. Stay safe! 
    I really appreciate that, thank you.  I will do my best to stay safe and teach at the same time. It is so weird to me that I can’t circulate around the room.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    mcgruff10 said:
    Its just unfair on teachers to risk their  life thats  not part of the deal. Fuck this shit
    My daughter has been in school all year. About 70% choose in school option. About 1200 kids roughly. 0 in school transmission. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Rounding the corner, right smack into another wall of covid. Damn, who saw that coming?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited October 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    My daughter has been in school all year. About 70% choose in school option. About 1200 kids roughly. 0 in school transmission. 
    I have not been in a classroom in a school all year. This week alone, three students' *entire families* have contracted the virus, big Hispanic families. Parents who had to work brought it home. But when I look at the state database of reported cases, guess how many new cases were listed for my city in the past week? ONE. The tracing, the reporting -- the numbers are all bullshit. Don't believe any of them.

I suspect a couple of things are going on in schools regarding transmission, in general.

1. School districts are lying about and covering up the number of cases, using HIPAA as their excuse. I know this is happening for sure in parts of my state (but not my district. My district has handled this whole situation tremendously well, thankfully).

2. School districts with large populations of low income students are seeing more outbreaks. My district will be over-run by this disease if we go back in. I don't know about your child's school, but based on your report of 0 cases, I wonder how lily-white affluent it is. Or who's lying.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Trump= economy good,more positive cases more death. Biden=Economy goes into a depression,Corona is slowed,lives are saved. There you go!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I'm not entirely sure I believe that.   The economy isn't doing well because of Coronavirus.  The worse it gets the worse the economy ends up doing? 

I also don't give Trump full credit for the run up to Covid19.   We all know the economy moves in cycles.  Trump became president a few years into growth phase.   Obama became president during the trough (When it was in the gutter).   It's just where the business cycle was when they got elected.    Trump gaslit the economy a bit with the tax cuts, but it was already in the stage where it grows.

I don't think he has another way to gaslight the economy with Covid around?
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 820
    Halloween and election day will no doubt result in another bunch of cases. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Totally disgraceful I’m sorry but to me he’s a giant asshole! 
    ....but people on here said that it was such a special occasion and defended him...

https://youtu.be/eBShN8qT4lk

This discussion has been closed.