Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I get eye rolls and called a sucker for being honest on my weekly certification. From my perspective, people are totally cool with taking advantage of the situation whether they need or not. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    DewieCox said:
    I get eye rolls and called a sucker for being honest on my weekly certification. From my perspective, people are totally cool with taking advantage of the situation whether they need or not. 
    Not surprised, and that would be my guess too, just haven't seen any real data on it. 
    I understand they wanted to get the money out asap and that's why the was almost no vetting, but there would have been a stipulation where if your income was still 75% or more of what it was last year, you'd have to repay the $600 bonus on your tax returns.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    Saying we just need to wear masks is hilarious.  Americans won't wear masks.  Too fucking stupid.  
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

Americans won’t do another shutdown either.

I am pissed off at Americans not wearing masks.  I agreed with the original shutdown.  We didn’t know much about the virus and it allowed hospitals to catch up.   

We learned this isn’t Ebola.  This isn’t the Spanish Flu.  This is a bad virus and should be taken seriously but I don’t think we should go to another full shutdown but somewhere near stage 2 or 3 if a shutdown was stage 1 and stage five was normal.

Just an opinion.  I go back and forth on this though.   
    Health risks aside.  I don’t want another shutdown. That $600 unemployment boost helped but didn’t match what I make in an open economy.  My family had to subsidize with our savings. And of course now t extra benefits are gone.  Luckily I am back to work.  Even part time I am making more than the UE boost.  I know that my family won’t financially survive another shutdown...would we survive getting the virus with no long term effects? Hopefully.  It’s a bad situation to be in but another shutdown that doesn’t fully subsidize people isn’t worth it.
    I'm curious for a study on the abuse of that unemployment boost. One example I know of this couple who had a booth in an antique shop, more for a hobby than income. When the store closed due to covid they applied for unemployment. Since they still had other income, they only qualified for the minimum $150 a week, but then automatically received the $600 bonus. Between the 2 of them they made $1500 a week in unemployment for an antique booth that probably only made them $1000 a month as extra income.
    Its terrible because it drains the pool for people who really need the money, and it could have lasted longer if there was better vetting, or not slashed the budget for schools and other places to pay for it. I'd be interested in seeing how common that was, or if it was pretty rare. If I had to guess I would say there was hundreds of millions in abuse, but I don't have any data to back that up.

I’m sure there was some fraud most programs have that happen to some varying degree.  My guess is the dollar value is much less than the trillions the fed dumped into the market or the other corporate bailouts.  The program was better than nothing, but that doesn’t mean it was a good program.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    Saying we just need to wear masks is hilarious.  Americans won't wear masks.  Too fucking stupid.  
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

I am pissed off at Americans not wearing masks.  I agreed with the original shutdown.  We didn’t know much about the virus and it allowed hospitals to catch up.   

We learned this isn’t Ebola.  This isn’t the Spanish Flu.  This is a bad virus and should be taken seriously but I don’t think we should go to another full shutdown but somewhere near stage 2 or 3 if a shutdown was stage 1 and stage five was normal.

Health risks aside.  I don’t want another shutdown. That $600 unemployment boost helped but didn’t match what I make in an open economy.  My family had to subsidize with our savings. And of course now t extra benefits are gone.  Luckily I am back to work.  Even part time I am making more than the UE boost.  I know that my family won’t financially survive another shutdown...would we survive getting the virus with no long term effects? Hopefully.  It’s a bad situation to be in but another shutdown that doesn’t fully subsidize people isn’t worth it.
    I'm curious for a study on the abuse of that unemployment boost. One example I know of this couple who had a booth in an antique shop, more for a hobby than income. When the store closed due to covid they applied for unemployment. Since they still had other income, they only qualified for the minimum $150 a week, but then automatically received the $600 bonus. Between the 2 of them they made $1500 a week in unemployment for an antique booth that probably only made them $1000 a month as extra income.
    Its terrible because it drains the pool for people who really need the money, and it could have lasted longer if there was better vetting, or not slashed the budget for schools and other places to pay for it. I'd be interested in seeing how common that was, or if it was pretty rare. If I had to guess I would say there was hundreds of millions in abuse, but I don't have any data to back that up.

I’m sure there was some fraud most programs have that happen to some varying degree.  My guess is the dollar value is much less than the trillions the fed dumped into the market or the other corporate bailouts.  The program was better than nothing, but that doesn’t mean it was a good program.
    Anecdotes tend to dominate this issue. "I know a cashier at a liquor store and this guy tried to buy vodka with food stamps." 

Traditionally, I used to* know that welfare (way back when it was called AFDC) averaged less than two years per household while being decried as a lifetime of dependency. 

Fudging benefits?  Yeah, most people do it, be it on their taxes or getting too much change back from the bank.  I personally don't (I have OCD that makes it totally not worth it).  But this is the kind of thing that upsets some people more.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    my family is considering not having thanksgiving. just an outdoor gathering around a fire having dogs and smores. sigh. oh well. 
    Ughh that does suck but I believe we are all doing that! At least us sane folks..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    my family is considering not having thanksgiving. just an outdoor gathering around a fire having dogs and smores. sigh. oh well. 
    Ughh that does suck but I believe we are all doing that! At least us sane folks..
    i just didn't think that step was warranted where i am. cases are spiking a bit here, but we're still low. but trudeau is telling the whole country to sacrifice thanksgiving so we can have christmas, but painting the whole country with the same brush is a little dumb. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i just didn't think that step was warranted where i am. cases are spiking a bit here, but we're still low. but trudeau is telling the whole country to sacrifice thanksgiving so we can have christmas, but painting the whole country with the same brush is a little dumb. 
    Not sure how I feel but I think sacrificing one year of holidays is not going to affect us/my family per say , this Virus should of be taken totally seriously from the get go and now we have lost over 200 thousand Americans I still can’t believe I’m writing that number! 
  • Options
    Not sure how I feel but I think sacrificing one year of holidays is not going to affect us/my family per say , this Virus should of be taken totally seriously from the get go and now we have lost over 200 thousand Americans I still can’t believe I’m writing that number! 
    yes, of course it should be taken seriously. and i honestly don't care that much about not seeing some of my family at T giving. i just don't necessarily agree AT THIS POINT that step is necessary for winnipeggers. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    You guys don't even celebrate Thanksgiving in the right month, so no big deal.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    and we don't take an inexplicable extra day either. we really should get on that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    and we don't take an inexplicable extra day either. we really should get on that. 
    Its becoming a whole week thing now. Schools have such poor attendance those other 3 days its becoming more and more common to just close school the whole week. 
  • Options

Swedish expert warns country going in ‘wrong direction’ as cases rise

By Adam Taylor

Sweden, where a shutdown-free pandemic response prompted a global debate, is seeing another wave of covid-19 cases, with the country’s state epidemiologist warning this week that it was heading in the “wrong direction” as winter approaches.

Sweden’s public health body recorded 554 new covid-19 cases Thursday — the highest since early July — and 417 on Friday, according to its online tracking tool, capping off what epidemiologist Anders Tegnell had warned would be a record week for new cases.

“It is slowly but surely going in the wrong direction in Sweden, even if the situation is not as serious as in other parts of Europe,” Tegnell said at a news briefing Thursday, according to the newspaper Svenska Dagbladet.

Unlike many other nations, Sweden has pursued a policy for containing the virus that avoided strict government measures such as school or restaurant closures. The success or failure of that policy is still being debated far beyond Sweden’s borders, where most countries implemented some form of a lockdown.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    i don't understand how countries like sweden are doing that when we don't even know yet if herd immunity will even work. sure, so far the cases of reinfection aren't clear and are rare so far, but we don't know enough yet. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    Canada's PM has said the 2nd wave is upon us.  Yet know shutdown?  kind of a free for all.  LOL.  Maybe the mask is all that was ever needed.

If mask is all we need,  then a second wave shouldn't happen. 
    In Ontario, the spike seems to be in 3 places and sounds like they are happening among young people who participate in these large gatherings.  Where I live everyone wears a mask while indoors and the case count is really low, and we were the last region to enter stage 3 and the 1st to mandate masks...mask has worked here.

However, the province has ordered all strip clubs closed (I guess they are spreading it there) and bars and restaurants to stop serving alcohol at 11 and close at 12.  But feel free Costco pack them in there...After all, only about 20% of what they sell is essential and the essential workers are being paid so well...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    tish said:
    I'm supposed to host my family of 30 immediate, nearby members. That is definitely more than BC's safe 6. 

Not sure what or when to tell them... I can't be the only one knowing this is a bad idea.

Sidebar- I already roasted a bird, made soup, and offered my Mom a drop off plate. If I hide the turkey in my delicious stuffing I can get a bit of protein in my tall, lanky, growing girl. Mmm l-tryptophan.

I would honestly say that this year's event can happen on zoom or something because if I hosted an event during a pandemic and ANY of my family became ill and/or died, I could not live with myself. Stay safe everyone, I love you.

Stay safe, Tish.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Kat said:
    tish said:
    I'm supposed to host my family of 30 immediate, nearby members. That is definitely more than BC's safe 6. 

Not sure what or when to tell them... I can't be the only one knowing this is a bad idea.

Sidebar- I already roasted a bird, made soup, and offered my Mom a drop off plate. If I hide the turkey in my delicious stuffing I can get a bit of protein in my tall, lanky, growing girl. Mmm l-tryptophan.

I would honestly say that this year's event can happen on zoom or something because if I hosted an event during a pandemic and ANY of my family became ill and/or died, I could not live with myself. Stay safe everyone, I love you.

Stay safe, Tish.
    👍
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,119
    So is Sweden the only (western) country that doesn't have and never have had a forced (or even sternly recommended) facemask usage?

Open your borders to American and Indian tourists, then we’ll talk.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

The US is on pace for about 60% of the Spanish Flu deaths in a full year. Could be even much closer based on current projections . That’s with excessive precautions that were not taken in 1918, such as no Pearl Jam concerts, no attendance at sporting events, minimal  indoor restaurants, airplanes, cinemas and other entertainment, enforcing social distancing requirements, large scale employers allowing working from home, etc. Take away these precautions, and I’ll bet you covid deaths would have exceeded the one year Spanish flu totals.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2020
    Kat said:
    tish said:

Stay safe, Tish.
    👍
    I agree. I spoke about it not being a good idea and others had similar thoughts. 

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    edited September 2020
    Yay MN! Such responsible and upstanding people out there. I guess they're hoping the hoax ends in another month or so.

https://m.startribune.com/covid-19-surveys-halted-in-minn-amid-racism-intimidation/572535141/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,512
    edited September 2020
    Nice work from the university of Crete..
    english subtitles on settings..

https://youtu.be/OGcavaCTpYQ
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    We are fucked here and full of complete fucking morons. 
    I wish i lived elsewhere far away .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

The US is on pace for about 60% of the Spanish Flu deaths in a full year. Could be even much closer based on current projections . That’s with excessive precautions that were not taken in 1918, such as no Pearl Jam concerts, 
    Those lucky bastards in 1918 got to see Pearl Jam live.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    edited September 2020
    Poncier said:
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

The US is on pace for about 60% of the Spanish Flu deaths in a full year. Could be even much closer based on current projections . That’s with excessive precautions that were not taken in 1918, such as no Pearl Jam concerts, 
    Haha!
    Oh man, you said it- especially those shows where Ed wore that Woodrow Wilson mask in protest. That got a lot of knickers and bodices in a knot!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

Haha!
    Oh man, you said it- especially those shows where Ed wore that Woodrow Wilson mask in protest. That got a lot of knickers and bodices in a knot!

“Oooooh I ooooh I’m not yet alive”
  • Options
    Drove past little league baseball game this morning not one mask on any one!
    https://apple.news/A0fEJ_whrTKS8eW5aXLUtQg

• Options
    Walked into GNC store this morning wearing my mask the owner comes out from back no mask! I didn’t say anything just paid walked out..
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Walked into GNC store this morning wearing my mask the owner comes out from back no mask! I didn’t say anything just paid walked out..
    That’s really the best course of action unless you want to get in a screaming match and have them tell you about being triggered or something.  

I’m really worried about the next pandemic, especially if it is worse.  Imagine if this was the plague etc. After this precedence has been set what happens going forward?  Even if joe is elected and reestablishes pandemic preparedness I’m not sure we will even be able to rely on each other let alone the state and local governments and the financial sectors.

Just imagine if they don’t come up with an effective vaccine.  Tiptoe through the decline
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    static111 said:
    That’s really the best course of action unless you want to get in a screaming match and have them tell you about being triggered or something.  

I’m really worried about the next pandemic, especially if it is worse.  Imagine if this was the plague etc. After this precedence has been set what happens going forward?  Even if joe is elected and reestablishes pandemic preparedness I’m not sure we will even be able to rely on each other let alone the state and local governments and the financial sectors.

Just imagine if they don’t come up with an effective vaccine.  Tiptoe through the decline
    Agreed.  Trump has corrupted and polluted the minds of 35% of Americans.  I don't know how you come back from that. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

Haha!

“Oooooh I ooooh I’m not yet alive”

:lol:  Good one, L!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.