Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes to this meme.   Trump guy today said that now that the cdc says the virus is airborne it proves him right about masks being stupid.  He also said only the old and at risk will die and that the death rate is very low for under 55 and if the US would just quarantine old people we would all be fine, but the masks make it worse and lead to more elderly and preexisting condition deaths.   What a world...
    CDC pulled that statement.  
    They just put it out today and then redacted it?
    yes, they literally said someone hit send when they shouldn't have. 

this pandemic is being dealt with by fucking clowns in the US. 
    Crazy.  Oh and today on an unrelated note Trump coworker was talking about Hannibal Lecter as if he wasn’t a fictional character.  I’m like dude that’s a fictional character and he’s like no there really was a Hannibal lecter.   Well no wonder he is a science denier
    good lord
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Perhaps stop talking to Trump guy?
    :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Perhaps stop talking to Trump guy?
    :lol:

4 man crew in close quarters not really a choice.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes to this meme.   Trump guy today said that now that the cdc says the virus is airborne it proves him right about masks being stupid.  He also said only the old and at risk will die and that the death rate is very low for under 55 and if the US would just quarantine old people we would all be fine, but the masks make it worse and lead to more elderly and preexisting condition deaths.   What a world...

Crazy.  Oh and today on an unrelated note Trump coworker was talking about Hannibal Lecter as if he wasn’t a fictional character.  I’m like dude that’s a fictional character and he’s like no there really was a Hannibal lecter.   Well no wonder he is a science denier
    Well, he's not really that far off. Thomas Harris did say the character was inspired by a real life doctor. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    nicknyr15 said:
    Man, so many countries around the world reporting highest numbers since May. What the hell is going on? Is this thing just impossible to contain? 
    Yah.  It's a highly contagious virus.   I think that's it's worst characteristic.   It's super contagious and easily spreads.  Fatality rates for younger and middle age people aren't that bad, but the thing spreads insidiously.    I think it in that way it gets people in quantity over quality.  Masks help (if people use them), but the only real thing holding it back was lockdowns and/or people isolating.  

As governments started to ease restrictions (most likely because they can't afford to pay everyone to stay home forever), it was bound to spread.  In most countries only a very small fraction of the population has had the virus.   Therefore most populations are vulnerable to spread.   Every country is basically the US West Coast after a drought, and the virus is a firework at a gender reveal party.  It just wants to light up all that dry wood.

I think this is going to be the struggle over the next bit.   Many government's locked down, paid citizens to stay at home, and racked up insane levels of debt just to keep things a float 3 to 6 months.   I'm not sure governments can do that again.   Ergo most of us are going to have to learn to live with the virus.  Which oddly enough it feels like what Sweden was doing all along.  Some rules, some guidelines, public education, but not full lockdowns.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Well, he's not really that far off. Thomas Harris did say the character was inspired by a real life doctor. 
    Was going to say the same thing. I knew it wasn’t a true story, but remember hearing it was inspired by a true killer. Had to google it to find the name, it was Alfredo Ballí Treviño.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    edited September 2020

'Landmark moment': 156 countries agree to Covid vaccine allocation deal

Covax plan will counter rising threat of ‘vaccine nationalism’, prioritising vulnerable healthcare systems and frontline workers

A coalition of 156 countries has agreed a “landmark” deal to enable the rapid and equitable global distribution of any new coronavirus vaccines to 3% of participating countries’ populations, to protect vulnerable healthcare systems, frontline health workers and those in social care settings.

The Covid-19 vaccine allocation plan – co-led by the World Health Organization and known as Covax – has been set up to ensure that the research, purchase and distribution of any new vaccine is shared equally between the world’s richest countries and those in the developing world.

Sixty-four higher income economies have already joined Covax, which includes commitments from 35 economies as well as the European commission, which will procure doses on behalf of the 27 EU member states plus Norway and Iceland, with 38 more expected to join in the coming days.

/.../

Unveiling the agreement at a briefing in Geneva on Monday, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, head of the UN health body, said Covax represented the “world’s largest and most diverse portfolio of Covid vaccines” in which the priority would be given to those most at risk.

“This is a mechanism that enables global coordination of the rollout for the greatest possible impact and will help bring the pandemic under control and ensure the race for vaccines is a collaboration not a contest,” he said.

He added that the scheme would ensure vaccines for “some people in all countries and not all people in some countries”.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/sep/21/landmark-moment-156-countries-agree-to-covid-vaccine-allocation-deal

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    So much winning:

View in browser|nytimes.com
    Continue reading the main story

September 22, 2020

By David Leonhardt

Good morning. Republicans say they will fill Ginsburg’s seat soon. A Mueller aide has regrets. And coronavirus cases are rising again in the U.S.

The fall surge is here

A coronavirus testing site in Bismark, N.D., this month.Tom Stromme/The Bismarck Tribune, via Associated Press

Public health experts have long been worried that the end of the summer — as some students returned to school and the weather cooled — would bring a surge in coronavirus cases.
    That surge appears to have begun.

The number of new daily confirmed cases in the U.S. has jumped more than 15 percent in the past 10 days. It is the sharpest increase since the late spring, and it has arrived just before the official start of autumn, which is today.

By The New York Times | Sources: Johns Hopkins University, World Bank

Unlike the earlier summer surge in the U.S., this spike also coincides with a rising number of cases in other affluent countries, like Canada and much of Europe. The increases appeared to play a role in yesterday’s stock-market decline, as investors feared the need for new lockdowns.
    In Britain today, Prime Minister Boris Johnson plans to to announce new restrictions on nightlife. In the Czech Republic yesterday, the health minister resigned. In Madrid, the authorities imposed new restrictions on almost one million residents. Across Europe, officials are hoping that these targeted restrictions will reduce new cases — and allow them to avoid imposing full lockdowns again.

The U.S. continues to be among the most vulnerable countries, because it never crushed the spread of the virus after the original outbreak. (In the chart above, you can see how much higher the red line, for the U.S., has been than the other lines since April.)
    Coming weeks may bring new problems, too: The cooler fall weather will start to complicate outdoor socializing. “And if pandemic-fatigued families travel to spend the holidays together, it will get worse in late fall and winter,” The Times’s Jeneen Interlandi wrote in an article previewing the rest of the year.

There has been one big piece of good news. People infected today are roughly 30 percent to 50 percent less likely to die than those in the early spring, Ashish Jha, the dean of Brown University’s School of Public Health, estimates.
    Still, the death toll is horrific. Today, the number of confirmed U.S. deaths will most likely surpass 200,000.

In other virus developments:
    • An officer at the National Institutes of Health will leave the job after a report in The Daily Beast revealed that he had been attacking the agency and one of its leaders, Dr. Anthony Fauci, in pseudonymous posts on a right-wing website.
    • Almost 90,0000 pre-K students and children with disabilities in New York City returned to classrooms yesterday.
    • The organization that runs a major college-admission test — the ACT — closed more than 500 testing centers this past weekend because of the virus or the recent wildfires. The closures left many students unable to take the test.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    edited September 2020

The "I-know-everything" president predicted 60,000 to 65,000 deaths total.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

He meant those that died directly from Covid and didn't have underlying conditions of course.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:

He meant those that died directly from Covid and didn't have underlying conditions of course.

Isn't that number like 10,000?

Of course, that means if I, who have lived for 40 years with asthma, die a month after contracting covid, it would be pinned to the "underlying condition." But still, you know, MAGA.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    my mayor is urging our premier to make masks a provincial mandate. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    9/11 x 67 = 200,000
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    9/11 x 67 = 200,000
    Ooh, I know this one...what is the PanOrange Theorem?
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    9/11 x 67 = 200,000
    Ooh, I know this one...what is the PanOrange Theorem?
    Lol
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/adeline-fagan-covid-19-death-parents/index.html

I am a fucking mess after watching this interview and reading this article. 

wear your goddamn masks. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/adeline-fagan-covid-19-death-parents/index.html

wear your goddamn masks. 
    Her story is extremely sad and DIDN'T NEED TO HAPPEN
  • Options

wear your goddamn masks. 
    Her story is extremely sad and DIDN'T NEED TO HAPPEN
    and of course anti-maskers will blame it on her history of respiratory issues. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    edited September 2020
    My hometown high school in rural, central MN was forced to immediately end all in person classes and move to distance learning yesterday due to a massive outbreak among students and staff. Evidentially, it’s so widespread that contact tracing was deemed impossible. 

These rural areas are are going to get hammered this fall/winter.
  • Options
    my wife told me last night that the education system in BC is no longer requiring students with runny/stuffy nose to stay home and isolate, and that Manitoba might soon follow that model. 

hoo boy. she going to be an interesting winter. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,527

Hughbaby, your wife is correct. Here's thedaily checklist in BC. The reasoning is so that kids can have a better opportunity go and get in a routine, authorities state.

Alberta did not follow suit, but they have about double our cases.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    my wife told me last night that the education system in BC is no longer requiring students with runny/stuffy nose to stay home and isolate, and that Manitoba might soon follow that model. 

The air is so bad with the fires, and were 1500 miles away from most of them, that half the kids and stuffy/runny noses or other allergies. 
    I have no problem with that, if a runny nose is your only symptom and air is bad or you have allergies, then go to school.
  • Options
    tish said:

Hughbaby, your wife is correct. Here's thedaily checklist in BC. The reasoning is so that kids can have a better opportunity go and get in a routine, authorities state.

Alberta did not follow suit, but they have about double our cases.

i had mentioned to my wife a few months ago that she needs to be prepared for the eventuality that we're going to start just learning to live with this virus, and it kinda seems like that's where we're headed. she works in child care. so she's stressed a lot of the time, and sad a lot of the time, being around really young kids; it kills her that these little ones can't see the teachers smile at them, how scary it must be for these little guys. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:

The air is so bad with the fires, and were 1500 miles away from most of them, that half the kids and stuffy/runny noses or other allergies. 
    I have no problem with that, if a runny nose is your only symptom and air is bad or you have allergies, then go to school.

I've had runny nose response to all the smoke so I kind of get what you mean, but it must be scary and I can appreciate HFD's concern because you never know- is the kid just responding to smoke or is he or she carrying the virus?  If it were me, I'd keep my kids out of school and home-school until this is all over.  It won't last forever.

• Options
    Its going to go away. Like things go away.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Its going to go away. Like things go away.

Are you quoting the Golden Gollum of Greatness?  :lol:

• Options
    mace1229 said:

and parents lie about it anyway. so many of them brought their kids to daycare with a runny nose, claiming it was allergies. "really, we've been taking care of (kid) for years, and all of a sudden he has allergies? has he been tested for these allergies?". 

and honestly, keeping anyone home for 2 weeks because of a runny nose isn't sustainable long term. we all knew that was going to be swept off the table very quickly. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.