The coronavirus

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    JimmyV said:
    jeffbr said:
    WA State's governor has said declared no gatherings of 250 or more people. That includes sporting, religious and cultural events. So no concerts, Mariners, Sounders, college basketball games, XFL games, etc... won't happen, or at least won't happen in front of a crowd. I've heard it could be lowered as things get worse. We are up to 190 cases and 22 deaths in my county, so they're putting the hammer down on events that bring people together. 
    22 dead from Corona in Seattle?
    I just looked this up.  Had no idea that many already, wow.
    It's context that got lost in Ed's postponement note. The experience in Seattle has been different than other places in the US, so far.
    It most certainly did.  When I read the note I had zero clue that anyone died in Seattle.  Not a peep on the news.  I knew they had the first death but never heard more.
    Yeah, I think that's why I'm on all of these coronavirus threads here and the Porch lately. It is basically my life. That's almost all that is talked about on the local news, conversations with others at work, conversations with friends and family. It is a strange feeling. Unfortunately, now it is starting to take off and everyone around the country is being impacted in one way or another. I spent last week planning a remote work scenario for our data center which is typically staffed 7x24x365.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    edited March 2020
    The new rule of no public gatherings bigger than 500 people has never been used in Sweden before. If not obeyed, one can be fined or get prison up to 6 months. 

QUOTE:

- We have to repeal this regulation on the day it is no longer needed, but when it can happen we do not know today and therefore it applies until further notice. This is not a general recommendation, but a strict ban. Those who still arrange such a meeting run the risk of fines or imprisonment for up to six months, Morgan Johansson continues about the ban on public gatherings.

- This is a unique decision. No Swedish government has used this opportunity before. We understand that this will have major consequences, but we are also convinced that the Swedish people have a great understanding
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    JimmyV said:
    jeffbr said:
    WA State's governor has said declared no gatherings of 250 or more people. That includes sporting, religious and cultural events. So no concerts, Mariners, Sounders, college basketball games, XFL games, etc... won't happen, or at least won't happen in front of a crowd. I've heard it could be lowered as things get worse. We are up to 190 cases and 22 deaths in my county, so they're putting the hammer down on events that bring people together. 
    It's context that got lost in Ed's postponement note. The experience in Seattle has been different than other places in the US, so far.
    It most certainly did.  When I read the note I had zero clue that anyone died in Seattle.  Not a peep on the news.  I knew they had the first death but never heard more.
    You need better news sources...  
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    Swedens prime minister: 

"Be assured, money will not be an obstacle in us curbing this situation"

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
    That's what everyone says when they are spending other people's $ 
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited March 2020
    Johns Hopkins Interactive COVID-19 Updated Real-Time with WHO and CDC stats..

Desktop/Laptop version- 
    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Various versions including  mobile version here - https://qz.com/1814380/interactive-map-from-johns-hopkins-shows-coronavirus-in-real-time/

note stats in image are a week old..  go to link for real-time #s - just for sample

Post edited by myoung321 on

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,197
    JimmyV said:
    Swedens prime minister: 

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
    It won't be an obstacle here, either. It will just be used to bail out companies friendly to Trump. #BailoutBribes
    Will all of those repubs screaming "let them fail" when Obama bailed out the auto and banking industries be screaming the same thing regarding the shale oil industry? And does anyone here have any faith that Team Trump Treason can negotiate a bailout that earns the government money and saves the companies. Anyone?

Does Team Trump Treason even know how much suspending the payroll tax until the end of the year would cost?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Swedens prime minister: 

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
    "other peoples" 

Get a better point of view on what a society is.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    jeffbr said:

24 deaths now... 

March 11  - 12:00pm PST

Confirmed: 281
    Deaths: 24
    Recovered: 
    Active: 256

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    myoung321 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jeffbr said:
    It's not "my life" hoss, forgive me that I am not on top of all the deaths.

Your cute little "rich people" problem was a nice touch too.  Maybe your news sources can inform you how Alaska pays for their kids' trips?
    Weird that all parties in parliament agreed on removing the "qualifying day of sickness". I would have thought the right-winged parties would have not wanted to do that. The big right-winged party even wants to have two days, and not just the normal one.
    edited March 2020
    myoung321 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jeffbr said:

Your cute little "rich people" problem was a nice touch too.  Maybe your news sources can inform you how Alaska pays for their kids' trips?
    BTW - It's @myoung321 or Mike... not HOSS....thanks...  please read the thread before calling my words "cute"... he was talking about refunds for individuals ... so it wasn't a state run or paid for trip, right? 

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    EDIT:  Sorry, my link starts in the middle and the beginning is not to be missed.  Start at the beginning and watch it all.  Best info yet.

Well worth watching the whole video.  This is the best info I've found yet and Osterholm's credentials are excellent.  Highly recommended.

Thanks Brian, that was a very informative listen!
    Swedens prime minister: 

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
    "other peoples" 

Hahaha, mostly kidding.  But the reality is there is a fine balance here because destroying the economy will have negative effects on a lot of people as well.  So I do not envy the leaders making these decisions.  It's not a simple as some want people to believe, and they do not have enough info really, so it's their best guess.  I hope the guesses are more right then wrong.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Swedens prime minister: 

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
    "other peoples" 

Hahaha, mostly kidding.  But the reality is there is a fine balance here because destroying the economy will have negative effects on a lot of people as well.  So I do not envy the leaders making these decisions.  It's not a simple as some want people to believe, and they do not have enough info really, so it's their best guess.  I hope the guesses are more right then wrong.
    When the World Heath Org and CDC say this is now categorized as a "Pandemic" leaders need to follow well established guidelines to protect the public. There is no guessing ... no maybe ... no what ifs.. The WHO and CDC made that pretty clear with the designation change. 

myoung321 said:
    Swedens prime minister: 

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
    "other peoples" 

When the World Heath Org and CDC say this is now categorized as a "Pandemic" leaders need to follow well established guidelines to protect the public. There is no guessing ... no maybe ... no what ifs.. The WHO and CDC made that pretty clear with the designation change. 
    Really? so tell me why everywhere in the US is doing it differently then?

There is plenty of guessing as to what is too much how many people are too many...etc
    hippiemom = goodness
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jeffbr said:

BTW - It's @myoung321 or Mike... not HOSS....thanks...  please read the thread before calling my words "cute"... he was talking about refunds for individuals ... so it wasn't a state run or paid for trip, right? 
    The school paid for it Hoss, my bad, I didn't add that caveat.
    myoung321 said:
    Swedens prime minister: 

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
    "other peoples" 

There is plenty of guessing as to what is too much how many people are too many...etc
    I've never felt so bad for the US having Trump "in charge" as I do now. 

Hopefully he can't wreck to much havoc
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    edited March 2020
    myoung321 said:
    Swedens prime minister: 

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
    "other peoples" 

4 fucking years of him lying about EVERYTHING is about to throw up all over all of us.

Everyone that has turned a blind eye to the words that have come out of this cancerous pile of shit and spewed the whole, 'He communicates differently!  He has his own style!  He likes to exaggerate!  You can't take every word that he says seriously!  I like that he says whatever pops into his head with zero filter! load of fucking horseshit is about to understand why having a chronic liar, narcissistic pile of garbage in office matters.

The silver lining is that between this and Biden get the Democratic nomination, I honestly truly think that this is FINALLY it for this cum stain.

I don't see how he can possibly survive this heading into an election.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
    edited March 2020
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jeffbr said:

just a small fact...haha  no problem Little Joe...

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,410
    Saltzy23 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Swedens prime minister: 

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
    "other peoples" 

4 fucking years of him lying about EVERYTHING is about to throw up all over all of us.

Everyone that has turned a blind eye to the words that have come out of this cancerous pile of shit and spewed the whole, 'He communicates differently!  He has his own style!  He likes to exaggerate!  You can't take every word that he says seriously!  I like that he says whatever pops into his head with zero filter! load of fucking horseshit is about to understand why having a chronic liar, narcissistic pile of garbage in office matters.

The silver lining is that between this and Biden get the Democratic nomination, I honestly truly think that this is FINALLY it for this cum stain.

I don't see how he can possibly survive this heading into an election.
    he's cooked....his only chance was a Sanders nomination.  Sanders would be great....the US is just too stupid to realize it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jeffbr said:

no problem Little Joe...
    hahahaha!  TY for that!
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jeffbr said:

no problem Little Joe...
    hahahaha!  TY for that!
    a laugh is a good thing today ;)

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,197
    I guess we can give war a chance? And because somebody asked how we stand up to and change the big bad China bully.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/03/16/the-peace-corps-breaks-ties-with-china?

An American staff member greeted me with a pained look. She said something to the effect that the tree she wished to have seen was a tactful announcement, but Senators Marco Rubio and Rick Scott, of Florida, had declared the closure of the China program on Twitter. “Rubio and Rick Scott wanted to take credit for it,” she said angrily.

The Peace Corps has sent more than thirteen hundred volunteers to China, and the agency, which is now active in sixty countries, has always been viewed as removed from political spats. The U.S. had never ended a Peace Corps program because of a diplomatic conflict, but the timing of the decision about China seemed suspicious. The coronavirus had yet to come to widespread attention, and the Senators, who had previously expressed doubts about a Chinese trade deal, tweeted the day after President Trump signed a Phase 1 economic agreement with China.

“For too long, Beijing has fooled organizations such as the World Bank and the World Trade Organization,” Rubio wrote. Scott chimed in: “I’m glad the Peace Corps has finally come to its senses and sees Communist China for what it is: the second largest economy in the world and an adversary of the United States.”

Rick Scott began demanding an end to Peace Corps China in the summer of 2019. “What the Peace Corps shouldn’t be doing is propping up our adversaries with U.S. tax dollars,” the Senator said, in a statement. Such criticism had also been made in 2011, by Mike Coffman, a Republican congressman from Colorado. Scott introduced a bill that would cancel programs “in hostile countries, like China,” and place the Peace Corps under the oversight of the State Department.

The agency has always functioned independently within the executive branch, in part to prevent programs from being manipulated as direct tools of foreign policy. No other senators signed on to Scott’s bill, but he continued to attack the Peace Corps and China. His criticism of both seemed to be recent. Before entering politics, Scott reportedly amassed a fortune of more than two hundred million dollars as an entrepreneur in the health-care industry. In two terms as governor of Florida, from 2011 to 2019, Scott welcomed Chinese investors to the state, and he chaired Enterprise Florida, a pro-business consortium that has offices in Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Beijing. A blind trust held by the Governor included stocks with ties to Chinese companies.

The old confidence had also vanished. It seemed part of a larger American trend: every foreign contact was a threat, every exchange was zero-sum. Instead of trusting themselves and their best models, people regressed to the paranoia of those with closed systems. In the Washington Examiner, a conservative magazine, Tom Rogan celebrated the end of Peace Corps China. When Rogan mentioned the Chinese Ministry of State Security, he probably had no idea how much he sounded like a ministry hack:

We must thus ask how many of the more than 1,300 previous volunteers in China may have been recruited by the MSS during their time there. The number is likely very small, but unlikely to be zero. How many of those volunteers then returned home to take up employment in the State Department or another U.S. government agency?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Question for you out there.

Are you panicking?

Are any of you worried about getting it even though you don't fall under the criteria of those that need to be worried?

Serious questions.

I'll ask again in a week too.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    And now the NCAA tournament 
    I was looking forward to going next week but I guess I'll be in my bunker.....

2020 NCAA Tournament games to be played without fans in attendance due to coronavirus https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-ncaa-tournament-games-to-be-played-without-fans-in-attendance-due-to-coronavirus/ via http://cbssportsapp.com

2020 NCAA Tournament games to be played without fans in attendance due to coronavirus https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-ncaa-tournament-games-to-be-played-without-fans-in-attendance-due-to-coronavirus/ via http://cbssportsapp.com
    Glad I didn't buy tix...

It's only a matter of time before the subways are shut down or they test you before entering.
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,019

Are you panicking?

Are any of you worried about getting it even though you don't fall under the criteria of those that need to be worried?

Serious questions.

I'm not panicking no. I am fairly certain I will get it . I work at Costco. 1000's of people a day come through my warehouse. I'm 57, so not in a terribly vulnerable age group, but I have Ulcerative Colitis, so..immune issues.
    Honestly, I'd rather get it right now, before the hospitals are overwhelmed, which I feel is inevitable.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Are you panicking?

Serious questions.

Not panicking.  Concerned, as much for the family business as our health.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,832

Glad I didn't buy tix...

It's only a matter of time before the subways are shut down or they test you before entering.
    I have tix to the Women's Frozen Four. I guess I'll get a refund?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    I'm panicking about how everyone else is panicking.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
This discussion has been closed.