The coronavirus

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    Rod Dreher... "Heckuva job, Trumpie!"  
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,388
    So anyhow, most of you seem to think a re-book fall is best. I will prolly take your advice... but I may see how the next week plays out. 
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    tish said:
    I appreciate your help! Adulting is hard around this decision and I have a person saying the big Black Plague is shutting everything down like borders, airports, jeez!
    A person? You mean the World Health Organization and The CDC? 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

mace1229 said:
    tish said:
    What do you suppose Sept/Oct trip to San Diego port of call will look like instead?
    If you can hold out until November or December, you might be able to experience round 2.
    I can't hold out past next Wednesday, midnight. 
    tish said:
    mace1229 said:
    tish said:
    What do you suppose Sept/Oct trip to San Diego port of call will look like instead?
    If you can hold out until November or December, you might be able to experience round 2.
    I can't hold out past next Wednesday, midnight. 
    There is also the difficult part of getting flights that meet the sail dates/times, as well. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    edited March 2020
    tish said:
    So anyhow, most of you seem to think a re-book fall is best. I will prolly take your advice... but I may see how the next week plays out. 
    Sweden just forbid any gatherings bigger than 500 people for the next 2 months 

The US is not fairing better than Sweden. 

Postpone.

Have a Max Von Sydow marathon with your daughter instead.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
     Just cancel the cruise. The truth is, no one can tell you anything at this point....  In cases like this you must choose the side of safety. Like the band did.. 

Post edited by myoung321 on

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    tish said:
    I agree, it could be slow down in summer, start up in fall, possibly, although they say SARS was not seasonal.

At least if I went next week, I have the time to social distance for 14 days after if not quarantined. Are the resources overwhelmed here and now. I think I'd be getting ahead of the peak and at least have the peace of mind of knowing where we stand currently. 
    Waiting until later in the year will give time to assess the actual risk. Right now we simply don't know because we don't have capacity to do testing outside of those severely symptomatic. No surveillance testing happening so it is impossible to see where the hot spots are. The other benefit of delay until later is the possibility of therapeutics. We'll see clinical trials of antivirals starting up (I know one already has in Nebraska), so if you do end up catching it, there may be medication by then. Anything done right now is done without full information or a proper risk assessment. You're basically going in blind. I'm less of a thrill seeker these days, so I'm doing what I can to avoid contact with other people. It's very odd around Seattle these days. My commute is spectacular (instead of one of the worst in the country), grocery stores are easy to navigate. But I don't really go anywhere else other than work. We're now seeing staff layoffs, and even saw a couple of restaurants close permanently yesterday. Again, this thing is just getting started, so I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to expose yourself unnecessarily.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    ^ I booked the cruise last September after an amazing mid-late August European cruise. I have been looking at alternative options since January.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    mace1229 said:
    Here's a kick in the nuts. My school had an 8th grade trip to DC over spring break. School just canceled the trip due to virus, the travel company is not issuing any refunds. This is impacting several schools in our district who paid about $2000 to go.
    I think parents are going to the local news to get the word out and put pressure on the company to give refunds.
    My cousin from Alaska was all set to go w her class to South America.  Got cancelled as the school was not allowing the teachers to go.  The kids were more than welcome to continue w the trip but w no supervision.  

The kids are 12/13 years old.

No refunds.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    tish said:

Postpone.

So, just no getting the entire country together at the same time?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    The WHO just declared coronavirus a global pandemic.  A lot of organizations, companies, etc. will have to start making decisions on what to do with this step officially being taken by the WHO.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    Here's a kick in the nuts. My school had an 8th grade trip to DC over spring break. School just canceled the trip due to virus, the travel company is not issuing any refunds. This is impacting several schools in our district who paid about $2000 to go.
    I think parents are going to the local news to get the word out and put pressure on the company to give refunds.
    My cousin from Alaska was all set to go w her class to South America.  Got cancelled as the school was not allowing the teachers to go.  The kids were more than welcome to continue w the trip but w no supervision.  

No refunds.
    6 graders.. 12 year old kids going on South American field trip?    Sounds like rich people problems... Go to the local zoo or symphony.

myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:

No refunds.
    6 graders.. 12 year old kids going on South American field trip?    Sounds like rich people problems... Go to the local zoo or symphony.
    Really?

hippiemom = goodness
    edited March 2020
    tish said:

Postpone.

Why do you consider this is an appropriate time for a joke, when my Nick Cave concert will be cancelled?

Niiiiiiiiiiick
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:

No refunds.
    Really?

I mean, I know waiting will be tough,... and I know 14 is kinda late in life to start world travel, but under the circumstance sacrifices must be made ;)

(Keep in mind this a School Field Trip.. not a family trip)
    Post edited by myoung321 on

myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:

No refunds.
    Getting Corona from ski vacations in northern italy was a rich people's problem until they started hanging around us normal working class folks.
    jeffbr said:
    WA State's governor has said declared no gatherings of 250 or more people. That includes sporting, religious and cultural events. So no concerts, Mariners, Sounders, college basketball games, XFL games, etc... won't happen, or at least won't happen in front of a crowd. I've heard it could be lowered as things get worse. We are up to 190 cases and 22 deaths in my county, so they're putting the hammer down on events that bring people together. 
    Seattle Sounders FC soccer just announced that their match on Mar 21 is postponed to a later date.
    Seattle Dragons XFL just announced that their game on Saturday will be played in an empty CenturyLink Field. 
    It sounds like the Seattle Mariners are working with the league to flip some series so the club starts their first several games away from T-Mobile Park.

tish said:

Postpone.

Why do you consider this is an appropriate time for a joke, when my Nick Cave concert will be cancelled?

Niiiiiiiiiiick
    Nick Cave just called and told me that KISS sucks.
    hippiemom = goodness
    jeffbr said:
    WA State's governor has said declared no gatherings of 250 or more people. That includes sporting, religious and cultural events. So no concerts, Mariners, Sounders, college basketball games, XFL games, etc... won't happen, or at least won't happen in front of a crowd. I've heard it could be lowered as things get worse. We are up to 190 cases and 22 deaths in my county, so they're putting the hammer down on events that bring people together. 
    22 dead from Corona in Seattle?
    edited March 2020
    jeffbr said:
    Just next to Seattle in the same county. Most were associated with that long term care facility in Kirkland, WA (about 15 minutes from my house). One of the dead was a mid-50's diabetic, who had visited his mom at the nursing home the day before they closed it to visitors.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    jeffbr said:
    I just looked this up.  Had no idea that many already, wow.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    tish said:

Postpone.

Niiiiiiiiiiick
    Ha!  
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,118
    edited March 2020
    jeffbr said:
    It's context that got lost in Ed's postponement note. The experience in Seattle has been different than other places in the US, so far.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,197
    tish said:

Postpone.

Niiiiiiiiiiick
    That was the bad seed.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    JimmyV said:
    jeffbr said:
    It's context that got lost in Ed's postponement note. The experience in Seattle has been different than other places in the US, so far.
    It most certainly did.  When I read the note I had zero clue that anyone died in Seattle.  Not a peep on the news.  I knew they had the first death but never heard more.
    tish said:

Postpone.

Niiiiiiiiiiick

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,584
    Good advise from my sister:  Don't forget to step away from the news now and then.  Stay calm, be as positive as possible, take good care of your daily health. 

What more can one do? 

We''re getting out for the day- get some fresh air, go walking, try to focus on something good for a while.

Have as good a day as possible, all.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Swedens prime minister: 

"Be assured, money will not be an obstacle in us curbing this situation"

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,118
    Swedens prime minister: 

"Be assured, money will not be an obstacle in us curbing this situation"

SOCIALIIIIIISSSSSMMMMM
    It won't be an obstacle here, either. It will just be used to bail out companies friendly to Trump. #BailoutBribes

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
This discussion has been closed.