Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

Staying out of that school seems like a good thing.  If I had kids they wouldn't be going to school.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    i keep seeing schools opening. americans go to school starting in early august???
    A lot still start after Labor Day and go through mid-June. It’s a pretty wide range. I think many schools in NY and CA start much later. At least the ones I’m familiar with did.

Ours starts in 2 weeks and we get out end of May.

Bybthe way, that hallway is totally acceptable. Our Superintendent said social distancing only counts if you are closer than 6 feet for more than 15 minutes. Since passing periods are 5-6 minutes, social distancing is not needed.
    Fun.
    Despite what your Superintendent says 'counts', your likelihood to contract CoVID is dependent on the number of CoVID particles in the air, and the amount of time you're exposed to them. Thus, risk is proportional to both the density of people (i.e. things like schools should be avoided) and the amount of time you're in a large group.

Your superintendent should be fired and possibly arrested for reckless endangerment. Also, I'd like to seek a second opinion from either my gardener or lawyer.

Right we should just fire all the superintendents trying time do their best and following medical guidelines the best they can. I mean they should be doctors after all. Pretty bad take Benjs.

Yes covid is based on exposure. Time and dose. Certainly being around more people increase the risk, and if infected, increases the dose.  That hallway is ridiculous and they should pivot and figure something else out for sure. But to fire someone for stating the medical definition of exposure for covid is just dumb.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    That is just too sad that a 42 year teacher dies from Covid. Masks are NOT mandatory in the school so what do the administrators think students are going to do, most are NOT going to wear one. Hopefully most will wear one now that a teacher has died. 

At this rate this country will NEVER get ahead of this virus. What is wrong with our leaders?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    i keep seeing schools opening. americans go to school starting in early august???
    A lot still start after Labor Day and go through mid-June. It’s a pretty wide range. I think many schools in NY and CA start much later. At least the ones I’m familiar with did.

Bybthe way, that hallway is totally acceptable. Our Superintendent said social distancing only counts if you are closer than 6 feet for more than 15 minutes. Since passing periods are 5-6 minutes, social distancing is not needed.
    Fun.
    Despite what your Superintendent says 'counts', your likelihood to contract CoVID is dependent on the number of CoVID particles in the air, and the amount of time you're exposed to them. Thus, risk is proportional to both the density of people (i.e. things like schools should be avoided) and the amount of time you're in a large group.

Your superintendent should be fired and possibly arrested for reckless endangerment. Also, I'd like to seek a second opinion from either my gardener or lawyer.

Right we should just fire all the superintendents trying time do their best and following medical guidelines the best they can. I mean they should be doctors after all. Pretty bad take Benjs.

Yes covid is based on exposure. Time and dose. Certainly being around more people increase the risk, and if infected, increases the dose.  That hallway is ridiculous and they should pivot and figure something else out for sure. But to fire someone for stating the medical definition of exposure for covid is just dumb.

If that picture represents that superintendent doing their best, certainly they should be fired.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    on a personal note, i am hearing rumors from several of my hospitals that they may shut down elective surgeries again. the one hospital had a patient test positive that was supposed to have surgery 2 days ago, and the one that was supposed to go today tested positive yesterday. 

this shit is hitting too close to home.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    What’s the reason so many in the medical field have been laid off or had their position dissolved? I get why it was necessary at first with the limits on electives. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    What’s the reason so many in the medical field have been laid off or had their position dissolved? I get why it was necessary at first with the limits on electives. 
    unfortunately in america medicine is all about money. with for profit insurance companies, the insurance companies need to hold on to as much money as possible. the price of technology is increasing. i know for me, research and development costs are sky high if we are to compete with the leaders in our field. as such, we have to price our items so that we make a little money off of each item. with insurance reimbursing hospitals and surgery centers less and less, these facilities are trying to save money as well. so what they end up doing is laying off staff because they just cannot stop doing surgeries because costs are increasing. the hospital ceo needs to make money, the doctors need to make money, so the easiest way for them to cut costs is to eliminate workers. there are enough young people who want to get into medicine and since they have less experience they get paid less. hospitals would rather let go of experienced staff, hire younger staff and make them do their job plus what the laid off person was doing, and pay them less money. it is all about the almighty dollar.

i am in sales now, so fortunately i am making money for my company, which keeps me safe jobwise. i am worried about going into these facilities where there are known sick people and then me getting sick. it is not worth the risk to me.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Got ya. Thought maybe there was more to it. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    it is all connected. hospitals make a lot of money on elective cases if their costs are not too high. if elective cases are shut down, that means the hospitals will have less revenue. if you have a lot of empty operating rooms you cannot keep OR staff working, you can't keep periop nursing staff working, you can't keep ancillary staff working, so they furlough them and then end up eliminating those positions when they discover that a skeleton crew can handle most of the old workflow. its pretty sad because the administration will never take a pay cut.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    edited August 2020
    DewieCox said:
    it is all connected. hospitals make a lot of money on elective cases if their costs are not too high. if elective cases are shut down, that means the hospitals will have less revenue. if you have a lot of empty operating rooms you cannot keep OR staff working, you can't keep periop nursing staff working, you can't keep ancillary staff working, so they furlough them and then end up eliminating those positions when they discover that a skeleton crew can handle most of the old workflow. its pretty sad because the administration will never take a pay cut.
    Sounds like how schools work. They slash benefits and cut teacher positions which lead to increased class sizes all while the district admin pat themselves on the back and get raises.
    Then they realize teachers still survived with less pay and bigger classrooms and more responsibility so it takes a generation to undo those changes.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    sturgis is on. est 250k converging....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited August 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    sturgis is on. est 250k converging....

Unfuckinbelievable..Lock these idiots up for stupidity
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Amazing honestly...Im kinda floored after letting it sink in..250k and its only going to take a handful to spread this who knows how far. I wont go to the grocery store if its crowded..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    3-5 months. check the number of used bikes available now. in 3-5 check how many there are then...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

Fun.

Fair enough on the handling of the superintendent, however what he said just isn't true. CDC is currently saying "stay at least 6 feet from others who are not from your household". No minimum exposure time. Then, there's common sense: kids are often irresponsible and reckless; if hallways are an avenue for students to get it, then the subsequent classes over the coming days and weeks are too; many schools aren't known for excellent air circulation systems (or the budgets needed for them) - and obviously there's much more in this category.

The lack of critical thought is frustrating me, but like I said - fair enough about the superintendent.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

Fun.

Fair enough on the handling of the superintendent, however what he said just isn't true. CDC is currently saying "stay at least 6 feet from others who are not from your household". No minimum exposure time. Then, there's common sense: kids are often irresponsible and reckless; if hallways are an avenue for students to get it, then the subsequent classes over the coming days and weeks are too; many schools aren't known for excellent air circulation systems (or the budgets needed for them) - and obviously there's much more in this category.

The lack of critical thought is frustrating me, but like I said - fair enough about the superintendent.
    The medical guidance that I’ve seen for workplace exposures still mentions 15 min within 6 feet. That doesn’t mean it “safe” at that time frame but they don’t do the same countermeasures if during an investigation of a positive case they determine the contact you had with them was <15 min at 6’. 

This I am certain is constantly evolving though. 

I certainly agree that if I were the superintendent I would not consider that acceptable and do more to eliminate it.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

Fun.

The medical guidance that I’ve seen for workplace exposures still mentions 15 min within 6 feet. That doesn’t mean it “safe” at that time frame but they don’t do the same countermeasures if during an investigation of a positive case they determine the contact you had with them was <15 min at 6’. 

I certainly agree that if I were the superintendent I would not consider that acceptable and do more to eliminate it.
    I never heard about the exposure time before it was mentioned here in the last week. (I’m not refuting what you’re saying... just that this is the first I’ve heard of it)
  • Options
    Had a friend that manages a restaurant. Guy came in and hung out for hours and made round to various stops in our small townwhile he was waiting for results. Obviously the test came back positive. Protocol was that the 2 waitresses that were around him quite a bit had to get tested and were to quarantine until they received results. Dining room had to close until they could sanitize. Friend, her boss and his wife were going to get tested but her employer didn’t want it going on his insurance. :|

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited August 2020
    A  NYC city councilman, who is a democrat, says that hydroxychloroquine “saved his life” in his battle against Covid in March.

https://t.co/TYv85j9HnP

A Democratic New York City Councilman says hydroxychloroquine saved his life after a near-fatal run-in with COVID-19 in March.

Paul Vallone, who represents northeast Queens, took the drug along with a standard Z-pack — given for bacterial infections — and came back from the brink almost immediately.

“I couldn’t breathe, very weak, couldn’t get out of bed. My doctor prescribed it. My pharmacy had it. Took it that day and within two to three days I was able to breathe,” Vallone told The Post. “Within a week I was back on my feet.”

Though Vallone went public with his coronavirus diagnosis in an April 1 Twitter post, saying he was experiencing “mild symptoms,” his actual condition was considerably more severe. Vallone’s initial prognosis was particularly grim, as he also suffers from sarcoidosis, an auto-immune disease that attacks his lungs.

“We were in panic mode when I went down because I didn’t have a lot of immune response,” he said. “I needed something to stay alive.”

Hydroxychloroquine “worked for me.”

Vallone’s brother Peter, a former City Councilman and a current civil court judge in Queens, also became a convert after his brother’s illness.

“I guess all those doctors who are prescribing it are right. This drug is already on the market and the patent is up so it’s cheap. A new drug won’t be. So big money does not want this drug to be used. Always follow the money,” Peter Vallone said in a May 12 Facebook post, sharing a link to an NYU study touting the drug.

“[It] saved my life,” Paul Vallone said in the comments.

Hydroxychloroquine, a Malaria medication which has been on the market since 1955, came back into the spotlight this year as a potential pandemic miracle cure. President Trump has frequently touted the drug and even took it himself for a time to help ward off the virus — and has been criticized for it.

“You’d be surprised at how many people are taking it, especially the frontline workers before you catch it. The frontline workers — many, many are taking it,” Trump said in May.

The drug has proven controversial. In June, the Food and Drug Administration declared hydroxychloroquine “unlikely to be effective in treating #COVID19.”

Scientific studies about the drug’s efficacy have been mixed.

Paul Vallone, however, remains grateful for the president’s advocacy.

“At that time, there was only fear and panic, he offered hope in a possible treatment when there was none. With my sarcoidosis and then my COVID symptoms, It basically saved me. For that my family will always be thankful,“ he said.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    A  NYC city councilman, who is a democrat, says that hydroxychloroquine “saved his life” in his battle against Covid in March.

A Democratic New York City Councilman says hydroxychloroquine saved his life after a near-fatal run-in with COVID-19 in March.

Paul Vallone, who represents northeast Queens, took the drug along with a standard Z-pack — given for bacterial infections — and came back from the brink almost immediately.

“I couldn’t breathe, very weak, couldn’t get out of bed. My doctor prescribed it. My pharmacy had it. Took it that day and within two to three days I was able to breathe,” Vallone told The Post. “Within a week I was back on my feet.”

Though Vallone went public with his coronavirus diagnosis in an April 1 Twitter post, saying he was experiencing “mild symptoms,” his actual condition was considerably more severe. Vallone’s initial prognosis was particularly grim, as he also suffers from sarcoidosis, an auto-immune disease that attacks his lungs.

“We were in panic mode when I went down because I didn’t have a lot of immune response,” he said. “I needed something to stay alive.”

Vallone’s brother Peter, a former City Councilman and a current civil court judge in Queens, also became a convert after his brother’s illness.

“I guess all those doctors who are prescribing it are right. This drug is already on the market and the patent is up so it’s cheap. A new drug won’t be. So big money does not want this drug to be used. Always follow the money,” Peter Vallone said in a May 12 Facebook post, sharing a link to an NYU study touting the drug.

Hydroxychloroquine, a Malaria medication which has been on the market since 1955, came back into the spotlight this year as a potential pandemic miracle cure. President Trump has frequently touted the drug and even took it himself for a time to help ward off the virus — and has been criticized for it.

“You’d be surprised at how many people are taking it, especially the frontline workers before you catch it. The frontline workers — many, many are taking it,” Trump said in May.

The drug has proven controversial. In June, the Food and Drug Administration declared hydroxychloroquine “unlikely to be effective in treating #COVID19.”

“At that time, there was only fear and panic, he offered hope in a possible treatment when there was none. With my sarcoidosis and then my COVID symptoms, It basically saved me. For that my family will always be thankful,“ he said.

I personally know two people here in NY that were helped by this drug. Too bad Trump mentioned it a few times. It made people actually root against it working. Crazy. 
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

Fun.

I never heard about the exposure time before it was mentioned here in the last week. (I’m not refuting what you’re saying... just that this is the first I’ve heard of it)
    I work for a worldwide manufacturer with corporate medical that stays in touch with medical guidance. This was the guidance early and has remained regarding “exposure” and what would lead to contact tracing etc.

It makes sense due to viral load being an issue. How much of the virus you get matters and depends on how long you were close to others.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

I personally know two people here in NY that were helped by this drug. Too bad Trump mentioned it a few times. It made people actually root against it working. Crazy. 
    It’d be such a crime against humanity if this drug works and medical professionals are against prescribing it, and people touting it are censored on social media for spreading misinformation, simply based on Trump touting it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    nicknyr15 said:

It’d be such a crime against humanity if this drug works and medical professionals are against prescribing it, and people touting it are censored on social media for spreading misinformation, simply based on Trump touting it. 
    Sure would. But are you surprised? How could people root against it working? It’s ridiculous. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Sure would. But are you surprised? How could people root against it working? It’s ridiculous. 

It would be, but there is zero evidence that this is what's happening.

Several large, well done RCTs have not shown any benefit to using hydroxychloroquine, and because of this evidence it is not recommended to be used. The fact that some people here and there recover after having used it is meaningless. This is why we do science - to find out if something actually works, rather than people just thinking or hoping it works. 

No one is rooting against an effective treatment; people have quite reasonably moved on from a treatment without proven benefit to look for other treatments that might actually have benefit.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-19-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-no-evidence-treatment
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I just hate to think there’s a nationwide conspiracy going on where people are willing to allow a thousand Americans die per day before they admit Trump was right. And no, I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case. 

That’s why I was pleased to see this Democratic councilman come out and say what he said. If he was a republican, it would be perceived that’s he’s just pushing Trump’s conspiracy theory. I wonder why his story is just coming out now if he had his covid battle in March. Maybe he didn’t want to tell it because he wanted to be a good little soldier for his party, but after watching so many people die, he decided to put people’s lives over politics? Or maybe he tried to tell his story but other outlets wouldn’t publish it? Who knows? There’s something to be said for a democrat having to have his personal story published in the right-leaning New York Post. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Several large, well done RCTs have not shown any benefit to using hydroxychloroquine, and because of this evidence it is not recommended to be used. The fact that some people here and there recover after having used it is meaningless. This is why we do science - to find out if something actually works, rather than people just thinking or hoping it works. 

No one is rooting against an effective treatment; people have quite reasonably moved on from a treatment without proven benefit to look for other treatments that might actually have benefit.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-19-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-no-evidence-treatment
    From that article, it doesn’t seem like it hurts to at least try the drug if you’re on death’s door from Covid and that’s the only card you have left to play. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I just hate to think there’s a nationwide conspiracy going on where people are willing to allow a thousand Americans die per day before they admit Trump was right. And no, I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case. 

That’s why I was pleased to see this Democratic councilman come out and say what he said. If he was a republican, it would be perceived that’s he’s just pushing Trump’s conspiracy theory. I wonder why his story is just coming out now if he had his covid battle in March. Maybe he didn’t want to tell it because he wanted to be a good little soldier for his party, but after watching so many people die, he decided to put people’s lives over politics? Or maybe he tried to tell his story but other outlets wouldn’t publish it? Who knows? There’s something to be said for a democrat having to have his personal story published in the right-leaning New York Post. 

Good that he survived, no evidence that the hydroxychloroquine had anything to do with it. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

From that article, it doesn’t seem like it hurts to at least try the drug if you’re on death’s door from Covid and that’s the only card you have left to play. 

No, that's absolutely the wrong approach.

If a drug is not effective, then you are just exposing yourself to potential side effects if you use it, and why would you do that? There are other treatments that actually have some efficacy, so better to use those for which there is evidence rather than those which have repeatedly been proven not to be effective. 
This discussion has been closed.