Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,786
    edited July 2020
    I tried navigating the CDC's website looking for deaths per day and could not locate it.

Something else I am not hearing about is overcrowding of hospitals like we had here in NY.  Houston was a blip then nothing more.  Is this second wave not doing the damage the first one did?
    It’s very odd to see states passing NY in cases yet still having WAYYYY less deaths than NY. Are doctors able to treat COVID better now? 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237
    I tried navigating the CDC's website looking for deaths per day and could not locate it.

Something else I am not hearing about is overcrowding of hospitals like we had here in NY.  Houston was a blip then nothing more.  Is this second wave not doing the damage the first one did?
    Certainly not huge headlines anymore about numbers of dead, or overcrowded hospitals. Also haven’t heard anything about Italy for sometime and they were so bad off in the beginning.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

Coincidentally the numbers started to flatten out when trump took the data from the cdc and began funneling it through his buddies company.  We may never know with any real accuracy what the numbers are again. Anecdotally I can tell you that here in Austin the convention center has been turned into a field hospital, which seems strange if there is not an increased need for hospitalizations. Also local news reports that most of the major cities have been hiring out refrigerated trucks.   Nothing to see here I guess
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    static111 said:

Coincidentally the numbers started to flatten out when trump took the data from the cdc and began funneling it through his buddies company.  We may never know with any real accuracy what the numbers are again. Anecdotally I can tell you that here in Austin the convention center has been turned into a field hospital, which seems strange if there is not an increased need for hospitalizations. Also local news reports that most of the major cities have been hiring out refrigerated trucks.   Nothing to see here I guess
    This not being reported to the masses worries me.  Elvis brings up valid points and that is why I asked.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    static111 said:

This not being reported to the masses worries me.  Elvis brings up valid points and that is why I asked.

Here is the link for cases and deaths, updated daily

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

The data is on the CDC website broken down in a number of different ways.

Elvis' report about how cases are counted is incorrect. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    There are also theories about why the mortality rate seems to be dropping (seems to be, not yet confirmed that it is).

One part that is certainly true is that the much has been learned about how best to manage and treat covid cases, particularly the most serious ones, so the survival rate is very likely higher.

The second is that more of the new cases are in younger people.

The third is that, because the hospitals have not been so overwhelmed as they were early on, there aren't people dying due to lack of resources like ICU beds.

The same trend is being seen in other countries, including the UK, so probably no need to jump to the conclusion that the WH is suppressing data just yet. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    nicknyr15 said:

It’s very odd to see states passing NY in cases yet still having WAYYYY less deaths than NY. Are doctors able to treat COVID better now? 
    2 factors at play.
    A. they definitely have better treatment options now than in April including Remdesivir
    2. Large number of cases now in young folks (cause they couldn't stay out of bars etc.) who are far less likely to die, whereas early outbreak was disproportionately infecting older folks
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    static111 said:

I get lost on that site.  i was trying to find the daily deaths graphs by states.  I'm curious how the DR spiked or went down.  Can't seem to find it.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,609
    static111 said:

I get lost on that site.  i was trying to find the daily deaths graphs by states.  I'm curious how the DR spiked or went down.  Can't seem to find it.
    States:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tracker-bullets:homepage/story-ans&itid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tracker-bullets:homepage/story-ans

World:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/mapping-spread-new-coronavirus/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tracker-bullets:homepage/story-ans&itid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tracker-bullets:homepage/story-ans
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:

States:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tracker-bullets:homepage/story-ans&itid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tracker-bullets:homepage/story-ans

World:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/mapping-spread-new-coronavirus/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tracker-bullets:homepage/story-ans&itid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tracker-bullets:homepage/story-ans
    TY.

It's amazing that we dwarf China and India in Covid deaths yet they dwarf our population 5x over.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    There are also theories about why the mortality rate seems to be dropping (seems to be, not yet confirmed that it is).

One part that is certainly true is that the much has been learned about how best to manage and treat covid cases, particularly the most serious ones, so the survival rate is very likely higher.

The second is that more of the new cases are in younger people.

The third is that, because the hospitals have not been so overwhelmed as they were early on, there aren't people dying due to lack of resources like ICU beds.

The same trend is being seen in other countries, including the UK, so probably no need to jump to the conclusion that the WH is suppressing data just yet. 
    A fourth is the fact that increased testing since March has led to more confirmed cases.  That does not even acknowledge that the true case number is likely 10x greater in the U.S. (at least) per CDC estimates.  So the numerator (deaths) has increased, but the denominator (confirmed cases) has increased at a much faster pace, so the mortality rate has to drop. 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    Poncier said:
    nicknyr15 said:

2 factors at play.
    A. they definitely have better treatment options now than in April including Remdesivir
    2. Large number of cases now in young folks (cause they couldn't stay out of bars etc.) who are far less likely to die, whereas early outbreak was disproportionately infecting older folks
    I’ve heard the same thing on several different news sources. More younger people, so fewer deaths and hospitalizations.
    Also more testing, people didn’t get tested before unless they met certain criteria. Now with more testing those with milder cases are being tested and counted, who wouldn’t have previously even been tested.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    Idiots...

Stella Immanuel, Trump's New COVID-19 Doctor, Believes in Alien DNA, Demon Sperm, and Hydroxychloroquine. https://www.thedailybeast.com/stella-immanuel-trumps-new-covid-doctor-believes-in-alien-dna-demon-sperm-and-hydroxychloroquine?source=politics&via=rss
  • Options
    Well if she's aligned with Trump, believing in Demon Sperm makes sense. Hence Don Jr. Eric and Ivanka.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    What the...?

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    static111 said:

States:

World:

TY.

It's amazing that we dwarf China and India in Covid deaths yet they dwarf our population 5x over.
    real leadership leading to the public listening (or obeying, in case of a dictatorship) makes all the difference in the world. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495

“America, this is not going to go away without sacrifice. Either way, we are going to pay a price. Governments are faced with making difficult decisions, and they cannot appease and satisfy everyone.

But to do nothing is to be foolish. To ignore or question the validity of this virus, its contagiousness or the consequences of selfish attitudes is — at this stage — completely stupid.”

https://dallasvoice.com/a-harsh-lesson-in-the-reality-of-covid-19/

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited July 2020
    Idiots...

Stella Immanuel, Trump's New COVID-19 Doctor, Believes in Alien DNA, Demon Sperm, and Hydroxychloroquine. https://www.thedailybeast.com/stella-immanuel-trumps-new-covid-doctor-believes-in-alien-dna-demon-sperm-and-hydroxychloroquine?source=politics&via=rss
    Is the daily beast credible/reputable?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Isn't the existence of Ivanka, Junior, and Eric pretty solid evidence that there is, in fact, demon sperm?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    mcgruff10 said:
    Idiots...

Is the daily beast credible/reputable?

Better than Fox News. Not as good as the Onion.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    https://twitter.com/thetnholler/status/1287072179226660871?s=21
    Not the way you’d want to open your school year at this middle school..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    am on vacation this week. buddy just texted we have a 3rd confirmed case at work. 2 office for sure, other might be s driver or office.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Poncier said:
    nicknyr15 said:

2 factors at play.

I also think that with a greater lack of testing ability initially younger people who were sick were not tested as not seen as high risk. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Isn't the existence of Ivanka, Junior, and Eric pretty solid evidence that there is, in fact, demon sperm?
    Wish I had thought of that.

(5 posts above yours) ;)
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,542
    mickeyrat said:
    am on vacation this week. buddy just texted we have a 3rd confirmed case at work. 2 office for sure, other might be s driver or office.
    That's scary. I imagine it's only a matter of time until I report cases coming from school. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    the closer sept 8th gets, the more nervous i become. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Idiots...

Just the look of the video seemed like an amateurish homemade propaganda sham. 

Of all the doctors, and maybe the others are crazier, he endorses Immanuel? 

What’s the current standing of hydro chloroquine as a viable treatment? 

• Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    DewieCox said:

Sorry if I'm covering something that has already come up in this thread (I haven't read the whole thing) but here in the UK because of our National Health System and unfortunate large amount of cases they have been able to do a large trial (I believe the world's biggest) of existing medications ... weeks ago they dropped hydrochloroquine as a potential treatment because it was showing no benefits for patients.  It was out of this trial that dexamethasone as a treatment was found (I believe it reduced deaths by around 1/3).

If you want to look into the trial more it is called 'Recovery'.  They say that it may take longer to find more treatments as there are now less patients in hospitals here so less patients for trials ... although we are reopening so unfortunately that may change,
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    The Swedish economy is expected to slow down by 4 percent this year. It is a disaster, according to independent savings economist Claes Hemberg. But Sweden has still managed the corona crisis twice as well as the rest of Europe, where the average is 8 percent minus.

- These 4 percent show that things are twice as good for Sweden as the average in Europe. Our relative openness has made it possible to continue producing, importing and exporting. The rest of Europe has instead sometimes stopped working, says Claes Hemberg.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    DewieCox said:
    Idiots...

Just the look of the video seemed like an amateurish homemade propaganda sham. 

Of all the doctors, and maybe the others are crazier, he endorses Immanuel? 

I wondered the same thing yesterday & came up with this from the New England Journal of Medicine:

”CONCLUSIONS

Among patients hospitalized with mild-to-moderate Covid-19, the use of hydroxychloroquine, alone or with azithromycin, did not improve clinical status at 15 days as compared with standard care. (Funded by the Coalition Covid-19 Brazil and EMS Pharma; ClinicalTrials.gov number”

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

This article about the results are a little more in depth, and mention the study from Henry Ford Health that claimed its use was indeed effective: 

https://medcitynews.com/2020/07/hydroxychloroquine-flunks-phase-iii-trial-in-mild-to-moderate-covid-19/

Hardly the end all be all, I would welcome more information if people have it. 

This discussion has been closed.