Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    • Choose sexual positions that limit face-to-face contact

It's Canada, they already do that so both partners can watch the hockey game.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,881
    and now 2020 has decided we need a salmonella outbreak, as yet not traced to the mix. . ..
    23 states have cases.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    mcgruff10 said:
    Image may contain text that says Shops People OK No Problem No Service Traffic Laws Wear seatbelt in your car or get People OK No Problem ticket certain places you working and safety gear People OK No Problem safety goggles Airlines You seated and wear up off People OK No Problem seatbelt with your tray table TSA Before getting on this plane you need to remove your shoes your belt anything you pockets go through this x-ray machine People OK No Problem Grocery Stores Please you are help reduce the risk infecting with potential deadly virus People DARE TAKE AWAY MY PERSONAL LIBERTIES AND RIGHTS
    To be fair I see and hear quite a few people complain about the TSA and airline rules. Lots of people don’t wear seatbelts on a plane when told to. It’s just not obvious and they usually aren’t singled out. People complain about TSA security all the time, but they know they can’t win so they reluctantly follow the rules.  I remember as a kid people wouldn’t wear seatbelts all the time. It took years before it became the norm and everyone did it. I don’t think the reaction to masks are all that different. Hopefully this won’t last 10 years, but if it does I’m guessing it would become the norm and you’d see less resistance.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    I could see myself wearing masks when traveling on planes/airports going forward even after COVID is hopefully taken care of.  Maybe overkill but what is the harm?   

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    I could see myself wearing masks when traveling on planes/airports going forward even after COVID is hopefully taken care of.  Maybe overkill but what is the harm?   

People from Asian countries have been doing it for a while.  Why not?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Image may contain text that says Shops People OK No Problem No Service Traffic Laws Wear seatbelt in your car or get People OK No Problem ticket certain places you working and safety gear People OK No Problem safety goggles Airlines You seated and wear up off People OK No Problem seatbelt with your tray table TSA Before getting on this plane you need to remove your shoes your belt anything you pockets go through this x-ray machine People OK No Problem Grocery Stores Please you are help reduce the risk infecting with potential deadly virus People DARE TAKE AWAY MY PERSONAL LIBERTIES AND RIGHTS
    To be fair I see and hear quite a few people complain about the TSA and airline rules. Lots of people don’t wear seatbelts on a plane when told to. It’s just not obvious and they usually aren’t singled out. People complain about TSA security all the time, but they know they can’t win so they reluctantly follow the rules.  I remember as a kid people wouldn’t wear seatbelts all the time. It took years before it became the norm and everyone did it. I don’t think the reaction to masks are all that different. Hopefully this won’t last 10 years, but if it does I’m guessing it would become the norm and you’d see less resistance.
    The thing is, many people won't even do those things to protect themselves...so why would they do a very simple something that could benefit them, as well as others?  It's a fucked up mindset, from what I've seen.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Don’t be obtuse. I don’t remember anybody getting shot over either of those. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Don’t be obtuse. I don’t remember anybody getting shot over either of those. 
    What are you talking about? No one talked about people getting shot here.  This was in response to a comment about how people don’t complain about TSA and wearing seatbelts. And they do, all the time.
    Why call me obtuse and bring up shootings?
  • Options
    You’re operating under a fairly obvious false equivalency...ie. obtuse 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    DewieCox said:
    You’re operating under a fairly obvious false equivalency...ie. obtuse 
    How so? I didn’t bring up the comparison to TSA and masks.  Someone else said why do people complain about masks when they don’t complain about seatbelts and TSA (or essentially said that with a graphic). All I said yes they do complain about those things. That’s it.

How did I make a false equivalency?
    Speaking of false equivalencies, How is this related to shootings? You didn’t answer that.

Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    You saying that people would eventually  get used it because people have gotten used to past restrictions. TSA and seatbelt rules didn’t cause near the level of outrage that this has caused and those restrictions  are even more invasive on personal liberty than being told to wear a mask because you might pass a deadly disease.

I’m saying the reaction from those that didn’t agree with those restrictions doesn’t really parallel to the reaction to the mask issue.

It has to do with shootings, because people have been shot over the mask issue and I don’t remember people being shot over the other issues.

Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    DewieCox said:
    You saying that people would eventually  get used it because people have gotten used to past restrictions. TSA and seatbelt rules didn’t cause near the level of outrage that this has caused and those restrictions  are even more invasive on personal liberty than being told to wear a mask because you might pass a deadly disease.

I’m saying the reaction from those that didn’t agree with those restrictions doesn’t really parallel to the reaction to the mask issue.

It has to do with shootings, because people have been shot over the mask issue and I don’t remember people being shot over the other issues.

I never claimed they paralleled those reactions. 
    Again, I didn’t make the comparison. Just pointed out that people still complain about those, and was a lot worse when they first started than now. I remember tons of outrage when body scans first started. Maybe not as much as masks, but still a lot.

Someone else brought up the comparison and said people don’t complain about TSA, not me. I pointed out they actually do complain. But just like seatbelts, the complaining will be less in years. Your response was to call be obtuse and bring up guns.

Your reaction of reverting to name calling by me simply pointing out people complain about TSA and other laws just seems like the typical response of “I don’t like what you said and don’t have an argument, so I’ll call you names instead.” The more I give you a chance to explain the more it looks like that was the case. So I think I’m done, back to yard work.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244

Me too for sure. I’m still uncomfortable being indoors any place but my home and work.
  • Options
    Met a nurse that works at Rush hospital in Chicago this weekend. She says that everyday a patient is in the hospital from COVID-19 they are counted as a case. Meaning two people in a hospital for 14 days who test positive are counted as 28 new cases in total. I know others in here work in hospitals, have you seen this?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Met a nurse that works at Rush hospital in Chicago this weekend. She says that everyday a patient is in the hospital from COVID-19 they are counted as a case. Meaning two people in a hospital for 14 days who test positive are counted as 28 new cases in total. I know others in here work in hospitals, have you seen this?
    Wow.  If accurate, I have no words.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

highly highly doubtful
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

highly highly doubtful
    Why would she lie? 
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    bbiggs said:

I don't believe it for a second. Unless that nurse works in a kooky hospital. I know there have been a few right-wing news sources trying to say that the number of cases is inflated because of this, or because a patient tests positive, gets a second test for verification, and tests positive again. That isn't counted as 2 cases. It is just one. At least in states that have their shit together. Here's a Verify story from the D.C. area, answering the question. I've seen it answered similarly for other locations:

VERIFY: DMV COVID numbers do not count multiple cases for the same person

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    jeffbr said:
    bbiggs said:

I don't believe it for a second. Unless that nurse works in a kooky hospital. I know there have been a few right-wing news sources trying to say that the number of cases is inflated because of this, or because a patient tests positive, gets a second test for verification, and tests positive again. That isn't counted as 2 cases. It is just one. At least in states that have their shit together. Here's a Verify story from the D.C. area, answering the question. I've seen it answered similarly for other locations:

Rush is a top hospital.  Seems unlikely they would handle it this way.  I'm just saying if it is true, I'd be speechless.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Smellyman said:

highly highly doubtful
    Why would she lie? 

Not saying that she's lying, just that she doesn't understand the data collection. There's no reason that a nurse would understand the data collection aspect. 

Every day that someone with covid is in hospital is counted as another bed day related to covid, but not another case. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    jeffbr said:
    bbiggs said:

Rush is a top hospital.  Seems unlikely they would handle it this way.  I'm just saying if it is true, I'd be speechless.

Exactly. Rush is top notch. No need for her to make up lies. So was curious what others who actually work in hospitals have heard. Not just what is told to us by either side of the news.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

highly highly doubtful
    Why would she lie? 

Not saying that she's lying, just that she doesn't understand the data collection. There's no reason that a nurse would understand the data collection aspect. 

Every day that someone with covid is in hospital is counted as another bed day related to covid, but not another case. 
    Do you have first hand knowledge from working in a hospital? It’s really my only question here.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Smellyman said:

highly highly doubtful
    Why would she lie? 

Do you have first hand knowledge from working in a hospital? It’s really my only question here.
    Yes 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    https://apple.news/AsS1FG-PDQGmvskCRuHr8-w
    Unreal how these states that new and saw what happened here in NY NJ CT , just dismissed this crisis and here we are we are fucked this country is in big time trouble! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    bbiggs said:
    jeffbr said:
    bbiggs said:

Exactly. Rush is top notch. No need for her to make up lies. So was curious what others who actually work in hospitals have heard. Not just what is told to us by either side of the news.
    I don't work in a hospital, but just reading this immediately shoots up red flags. I've been on plenty of calls with the state health department the past 4 months and never has information been presented this way. First off, it would be horribly inaccurate on all accounts. Not only would it skew the case counts 10x higher than the actual number, but it would also severely underscore the mortality rate. If you take what that nurse said as accurate data collection, then the % of deaths to positive case ratio are much higher and should create a lot more panic.

As for what the news tells us, I only follow what the CDC and local state health agencies are providing. I don't need a left or right news source to tell me what that means I guess. Unfortunate that many do need their "news" to tell them how to think and feel.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,627
    I am not optimistic that BC won't be headed the same way. We are to expect more community sparks and although gatherings sizes have been modified, they will not include work or schools. The health minister was spewing more of that kids under 10 are fine crap and that the emotional/social costs will be long lasting if the kids remain out of class. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    tish said:
    I am not optimistic that BC won't be headed the same way. We are to expect more community sparks and although gatherings sizes have been modified, they will not include work or schools. The health minister was spewing more of that kids under 10 are fine crap and that the emotional/social costs will be long lasting if the kids remain out of class. 
    Stay safe wishing you well 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,249
    tish said:

I think our biggest risk now (or maybe a month ago) was travel.   There were no cases here on Vancouver Island.  I think most regions outside the lower mainland had it almost licked too.  Even Vancouver had it reduced.

Then we hit summer.  Being a tourist destination province, it arrived, and once locals got it, it started to spread again.

Still not 100% why were advocating travel.  Aside from tourism being one of the biggest drivers of our economy.

I feel like the government is testing uncharted waters.  How far can they open up until cases start to escelate out of control.  Trying to see if the population can be responsible on it's own.

I'm not sure they have other choices.  We're not 100% a vaccine is going to happen.   Governments are going to run out of money to pay people to stay at home.  Trial and Erroring how to make this all work was bound to happen.
  • Options
    I met a nurse that works at a General Hospital in make believe land. He says that every day the restrictions last, people fine new refreshing ways to spread bullshit.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    I tried navigating the CDC's website looking for deaths per day and could not locate it.

Something else I am not hearing about is overcrowding of hospitals like we had here in NY.  Houston was a blip then nothing more.  Is this second wave not doing the damage the first one did?
This discussion has been closed.