Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,184
    mrussel1 said:
    Our teachers are criminally underpaid.  It's astonishing how little people are willing to invest in the people that spend 7 hours a day with your kids. 

Not in NY. They retire to a fantastic pension in their 50s and during the Great Recession at the end of the Bush years, their raises were even better than us poor slobs we’re getting in the private sector. And their benefits are state of the art excellent. 

There is something to be said about 30 years of trying to get govt spending into a bathtub. Those voters in red leaning states got what they voted for.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,184
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    One more thing @bbiggs, I am an advocate for some of the modified schedules I've seen bantied about.  Like cutting class size in half and only half the children attend on a given day, and you work from home the other day.  I'd be okay with sending my daughter into school like that.  I would not be okay with 'normal school' like Trump and Devos are currently pushing.  I'm confident my state of VA won't be so reckless. 

I just watched my school board meeting where the school division task force shared four detail options and how they would work: 100%  attend 4 dyas a week; 50% attend 2 days a week; 25% attend 1 day a week; 100% online. It's such a mess. The only thing I know for certain is that regardless of which option the board votes on next week, I will have a professional development day every Monday. The school board will decide next week.

From a teaching/learning viewpoint, the hybrid models look to be the worst, in my view. The sample schedules they shared for every age group were confusing as hell. The continuity of instruction would be very difficult to maintain if a student is part of a cohort that attends only Thurs/Fri each week, for example. There would be five days before the kid comes back into the building. That's a long gap each week, with varying degrees of supervision and work completion at home in between. Your child would return to a class almost a week later where a teacher most likely would spend the time catching up all the kids who did nothing for the week in between. Not to mention -- the daily schedule would be so disjointed to get all the subjects covered into two days, that kids will have difficulty knowing where they're going week to week. You know how long it takes a middle school kid to figure out a new class schedule at the beginning of the year? Compound that by not doing it every day. 

Also, as a teacher, I don't see how I can effectively plan for/teach live students at the same time I'm planning for/monitoring online instruction. There's just not enough time in the day -- these glorious Mondays I see they have planned for us will be filled up with meetings or online extra help sessions, no real quality planning or grading time. In all this time since we disbanded in March, I still have had practically zero training in effective online learning. The pre-recorded videos we made as a department in the spring took weeks to develop for just one lesson. Each of us was responsible for creating only one over a six-week period (six person department). It took me weeks to create something meaningful and professional; thank god mine was due the fifth week. I'm not a damned videographer, and the district pointed us to some free crap software with 30 minutes of training on it. Nothing has changed since then.

I have been thinking about this a lot and following the task force in my division closely, reading the VDOE receommendations, attending online seminars with the VDOE, etc. In my view, it would be best for kids to go all in, or go all online. I have my preference -- to go back Tues-Fri with everyone -- but I will do what I'm told and make the best of it.

Long way of saying,  everybody out there just needs to accept that this coming school year is another one shot down the hole. Be thankful if you make it out healthy and alive. That's all I'm planning for. 
    If we go back full out, what's the point of dropping the Monday from teh schedule?  Isn't it just BAU at that point since everyone is together?

Good question.

No, it's not back to usual on a 100% back plan. Daily schedules would have to change because of social distancing.

For example, we will have to stagger bell times to decrease numbers of students in the hall,  probably lengthening exchange times and lunch times to accommodate. It's possible start and end times will be staggered in the morning and afternoon because of social distancing on the buses. Class sizes will be reduced for social distancing as well, which means teachers will lose their planning period everyday to make up for the need to increase their course load. Monday planning would be critical. If there is ever a time we need it, it's now. We're going to have to completely rethink how we deliver instruction to minimize contact. I can tell you, respecting adequate planning time has always been a contention between teachers and administrators. If we lost it altogether, I guarantee there will be massive pushback from teachers, who are as divided as everybody else on what to do.

Logistically, it makes more sense to do the hybrid to allow for all the distancing. For teachers personally, however, being more at risk than the kids, it doesn't matter. We are still exposed to all of them, whether they are there 1, 2, or 4 days a week. Might as well just see them Tues-Fri to maximize their learning, is the way I see it. Of course, families see it differently. Their lives are more important than the teachers', so there is that to contend with.

Most concerning to me right now is that we don't even have a SCHOOL NURSE to replace the one who decided to retire in the spring. Three core departments--math, English, and science--still have multiple positions to fill in each dept because people left for "better" schools, and I predict more will take LOA or just quit as we approach. We're scheduled to open, for teachers, in three weeks -- understaffed, still no decision, and inadequate training on everything essential for these new times. 

This is kind of typical in education anyway, but the current challenge really has the potential to decimate our school systems. We have created a growing massive teacher shortage due to our culture's hateful language toward teachers and "failing schools" since the inception of No Child Left Behind. You reap what you sow, as they say.

It seems to me a Mon/Thurs and Tues/Fri schedule and then the kids alternate Wednesdays would provide an average of 2.5 days per week in the classroom and the maximum time away from school would be no more than 2 school days.

Also, I’d figure out how to set up a zoom video in the classes so students not in the building that day would be required to watch from home on the days not in the building. 

in cases of poverty or states with razor thin budgets (if there is not way to get a cheap tablet in the hands of kids) at least have a phone number the kids could call in.

That way teachers can see the kids half the time. Paper lessons can be provided for kids without tablets to take home and follow along on the phone. 

Not optimal, but it’s better than having kids share germs and putting parents, teachers, drivers and other workers at risk. Six feet between desks should be the rule. It’s a difficult situation.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,722
    mrussel1 said:
    Our teachers are criminally underpaid.  It's astonishing how little people are willing to invest in the people that spend 7 hours a day with your kids. 

Not in NY. They retire to a fantastic pension in their 50s and during the Great Recession at the end of the Bush years, their raises were even better than us poor slobs we’re getting in the private sector. And their benefits are state of the art excellent. 

There is something to be said about 30 years of trying to get govt spending into a bathtub. Those voters in red leaning states got what they voted for.
    What's the average salary vs a private sector worker with a bachelor's or higher? That's the bar im using.  When a person chooses a major,  choosing education is a sacrifice in my view. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,285
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-pandemic-highest-death-tolls-california-florida-texas-2020-07-09/

Seems like just yesterday Mike Pence told us the fatality rate was "low and steady"...oh yeah that was just yesterday.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-pandemic-highest-death-tolls-california-florida-texas-2020-07-09/

Seems like just yesterday Mike Pence told us the fatality rate was "low and steady"...oh yeah that was just yesterday.
    In fairness,  how could he possibly know that a spike in cases would lead to increased fatalities?  We're all surprised by such a turn of events. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:

In fairness,  how could he possibly know that a spike in cases would lead to increased fatalities?  We're all surprised by such a turn of events. 

When was it that the right was claiming that the media was no longer posting fatality rates any more, only number of cases, because the fatality rates were so low?

Oh yeah, Monday or Tuesday, I think. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    Regarding kids: Some friends of my family have came down hard with COVID. Both of their small kids (3 and 7) tested positive. One had a fever for a few days, the other was fine. 

Another family I know had to go into quarantine on Monday afternoon due to to positive cases at the daycare their toddler attends. No idea if it was another toddler or staff that was positive, but the daycare is now closed for the next two weeks.

As others mentioned, this idea of a national, one-size fits all approach to sending kids back to school isn’t going to work. What do you do if kids do test positive? shut them down again? Roll with it? Let a few die?

How about close down the bars, restaurants, and other gathering places of adults, and let the schools reopen?
    100%. sacrifice for the kids. absolutely. but non-parents won't go for it. 

Selfish people won't go for it.

I'm a non parent, and am fully on board with figuring out school before anything else.

Same here.  Not sure why non parents wouldn't go for it.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,735
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

What's the average salary vs a private sector worker with a bachelor's or higher? That's the bar im using.  When a person chooses a major,  choosing education is a sacrifice in my view. 
    Add a masters, which all teachers I know were required to attain within varying time frames from hire and the gap gets even more expansive.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mrussel1 said:

This is it in a nutshell. Collective bargaining and public investment in the general welfare of our nation.

I would suggest this is why our hosiptals and public health departments are also in shambles right now as well.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    One more thing @bbiggs, I am an advocate for some of the modified schedules I've seen bantied about.  Like cutting class size in half and only half the children attend on a given day, and you work from home the other day.  I'd be okay with sending my daughter into school like that.  I would not be okay with 'normal school' like Trump and Devos are currently pushing.  I'm confident my state of VA won't be so reckless. 

I just watched my school board meeting where the school division task force shared four detail options and how they would work: 100%  attend 4 dyas a week; 50% attend 2 days a week; 25% attend 1 day a week; 100% online. It's such a mess. The only thing I know for certain is that regardless of which option the board votes on next week, I will have a professional development day every Monday. The school board will decide next week.

From a teaching/learning viewpoint, the hybrid models look to be the worst, in my view. The sample schedules they shared for every age group were confusing as hell. The continuity of instruction would be very difficult to maintain if a student is part of a cohort that attends only Thurs/Fri each week, for example. There would be five days before the kid comes back into the building. That's a long gap each week, with varying degrees of supervision and work completion at home in between. Your child would return to a class almost a week later where a teacher most likely would spend the time catching up all the kids who did nothing for the week in between. Not to mention -- the daily schedule would be so disjointed to get all the subjects covered into two days, that kids will have difficulty knowing where they're going week to week. You know how long it takes a middle school kid to figure out a new class schedule at the beginning of the year? Compound that by not doing it every day. 

Also, as a teacher, I don't see how I can effectively plan for/teach live students at the same time I'm planning for/monitoring online instruction. There's just not enough time in the day -- these glorious Mondays I see they have planned for us will be filled up with meetings or online extra help sessions, no real quality planning or grading time. In all this time since we disbanded in March, I still have had practically zero training in effective online learning. The pre-recorded videos we made as a department in the spring took weeks to develop for just one lesson. Each of us was responsible for creating only one over a six-week period (six person department). It took me weeks to create something meaningful and professional; thank god mine was due the fifth week. I'm not a damned videographer, and the district pointed us to some free crap software with 30 minutes of training on it. Nothing has changed since then.

I have been thinking about this a lot and following the task force in my division closely, reading the VDOE receommendations, attending online seminars with the VDOE, etc. In my view, it would be best for kids to go all in, or go all online. I have my preference -- to go back Tues-Fri with everyone -- but I will do what I'm told and make the best of it.

Long way of saying,  everybody out there just needs to accept that this coming school year is another one shot down the hole. Be thankful if you make it out healthy and alive. That's all I'm planning for. 
    If we go back full out, what's the point of dropping the Monday from teh schedule?  Isn't it just BAU at that point since everyone is together?

Good question.

No, it's not back to usual on a 100% back plan. Daily schedules would have to change because of social distancing.

For example, we will have to stagger bell times to decrease numbers of students in the hall,  probably lengthening exchange times and lunch times to accommodate. It's possible start and end times will be staggered in the morning and afternoon because of social distancing on the buses. Class sizes will be reduced for social distancing as well, which means teachers will lose their planning period everyday to make up for the need to increase their course load. Monday planning would be critical. If there is ever a time we need it, it's now. We're going to have to completely rethink how we deliver instruction to minimize contact. I can tell you, respecting adequate planning time has always been a contention between teachers and administrators. If we lost it altogether, I guarantee there will be massive pushback from teachers, who are as divided as everybody else on what to do.

Logistically, it makes more sense to do the hybrid to allow for all the distancing. For teachers personally, however, being more at risk than the kids, it doesn't matter. We are still exposed to all of them, whether they are there 1, 2, or 4 days a week. Might as well just see them Tues-Fri to maximize their learning, is the way I see it. Of course, families see it differently. Their lives are more important than the teachers', so there is that to contend with.

Most concerning to me right now is that we don't even have a SCHOOL NURSE to replace the one who decided to retire in the spring. Three core departments--math, English, and science--still have multiple positions to fill in each dept because people left for "better" schools, and I predict more will take LOA or just quit as we approach. We're scheduled to open, for teachers, in three weeks -- understaffed, still no decision, and inadequate training on everything essential for these new times. 

This is kind of typical in education anyway, but the current challenge really has the potential to decimate our school systems. We have created a growing massive teacher shortage due to our culture's hateful language toward teachers and "failing schools" since the inception of No Child Left Behind. You reap what you sow, as they say.

It seems to me a Mon/Thurs and Tues/Fri schedule and then the kids alternate Wednesdays would provide an average of 2.5 days per week in the classroom and the maximum time away from school would be no more than 2 school days.

Also, I’d figure out how to set up a zoom video in the classes so students not in the building that day would be required to watch from home on the days not in the building. 

in cases of poverty or states with razor thin budgets (if there is not way to get a cheap tablet in the hands of kids) at least have a phone number the kids could call in.

That way teachers can see the kids half the time. Paper lessons can be provided for kids without tablets to take home and follow along on the phone. 

Not optimal, but it’s better than having kids share germs and putting parents, teachers, drivers and other workers at risk. Six feet between desks should be the rule. It’s a difficult situation.
    It seems like it would be so simple. It's just not. I mean no disrespect when I say that people who have never *taught* in a classroom really have no idea what we do or how we do it, the same way I have no idea what a day trader does, or what a mechanic does.  I think I'll close out on this topic by just very tritely saying that whatever happens, we'll have to make the best of it and hope we all stay well.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/07/09/florida-family-charged-allegedly-selling-bleach-covid-19-cure/5405180002/

Florida family sold toxic bleach solution as coronavirus 'cure,' Federal charges say

A Florida family is facing federal charges after allegedly marketing a toxic bleach solution as a cure for multiple ailments, including COVID-19.

Mark Grenon and his sons Jonathan, Jordan and Joseph were charged with conspiracy to defraud the United States, conspiracy to violate the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, and criminal contempt on Wednesday, according to the Department of Justice.

The family claimed their "Miracle Mineral Solution," a solution containing sodium chlorite and water, could treat, prevent, and cure COVID-19, the criminal complain alleges. Before the pandemic, the Grenons also allegedly marketed the solution as a cure for many other serious diseases, including Alzheimer’s, autism, multiple sclerosis and HIV/AIDS.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    cutz said:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/07/09/florida-family-charged-allegedly-selling-bleach-covid-19-cure/5405180002/

Florida family sold toxic bleach solution as coronavirus 'cure,' Federal charges say

A Florida family is facing federal charges after allegedly marketing a toxic bleach solution as a cure for multiple ailments, including COVID-19.

Mark Grenon and his sons Jonathan, Jordan and Joseph were charged with conspiracy to defraud the United States, conspiracy to violate the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, and criminal contempt on Wednesday, according to the Department of Justice.

The family claimed their "Miracle Mineral Solution," a solution containing sodium chlorite and water, could treat, prevent, and cure COVID-19, the criminal complain alleges. Before the pandemic, the Grenons also allegedly marketed the solution as a cure for many other serious diseases, including Alzheimer’s, autism, multiple sclerosis and HIV/AIDS.
    And people bought it. Hoo boy. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    mace1229 said:
    As a teacher and a parent I have some different views.
    i don’t know if school is sustainable in its current form the way things are going. Our budget was drastically cut and it is anticipated to be even worse next year. Sports and electives may not be an option in a year or two.
    My district taking blended learning off the table was frustrating most were 4  only for health reasons, but also financially. It would save a lot of money moving to a blended environment, and while it won’t be better for everyone it would be beneficial to some.
    But instead of making cuts to sports and other items like that, they’re just making teachers pay for it. My paycheck is expected to be about $800 less per month next year. We’re not asking any parents in our community to make those sacrifices by charging for buses or a lab fee or sports fee or elective fee. And it just pisses me off because I live in a state where all that is taken for granted and the people don’t support education. Our last bill to fund education failed miserably. It was a 0.15% tax increase only applied to those who make over 100k, and I think it got less that 30% support. That’s $150 a year if you make 100k, that’s not breaking the bank. So the result is to pay me nearly $10,000 less this next year to make the difference.
    So I’m caught between wanted to do what’s best for my health, my kids health, what’s best for a learning environment and an F-it attitude when teachers are treated this way in the public eye. If people want to defund education I think they should experience it, take away sports and buses for a year and see the impact, but don’t make me pay for your child. Because now I can’t plan for a future for mine.
    Hey I'm sorry about the craziness teachers and schools are going through.  A normal year in public ed is messed up anyway so I'm really glad I'm retired from that (not a teacher, business and operations admin). But you poor teachers......
    Did the administrators take a cut in pay? I hope so. 
    And I tried the suggestion of charging families for trans 10 years ago and the board freaked.  Our transportation costs were over 4 million.  

How about your union, they were ok with the cut?  That's a huge difference, I really feel bad for all teachers....did your union ask for hazard pay?
    Well, just wanted you to know there's a lot of people out here on teachers sides.  Be careful and stay safe and healthy. 
    I don’t know if the district level admin and the superintendent are taking a big cut. When I say I’m making $800 less next year that’s due to benefits going up by $100 and the district paying $400 less into it plus 8 furlough days this year. I’m guessIng district admin get better coverage on insurance, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t furloughed either.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,142
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's not a sacrifice, it's just a choice.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,142
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Good question.

Pretty sure it's not the lack of a cheap tablet that would hold this back...it's the internet connection.  It;s pretty sad.  Cause you would think this would be doable in the USA in 2020.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I consider it an act for the public good,  considering most other degreed jobs pay more and have higher financial upside. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,157
    Smellyman said:
    Wouldn't want my kids going to school w/ parents like this. 

Absolutely negligence and seem almost done entirely on purpose.  Just another God loving psycho patriotic Trumpleton.

Poor girl didn't deserve this and he mother should be tried for manslaughter.  Even setup a Gofundme to profit from it.

It's a sad day when this shit happens.  It could happen to THOUSANDS of kids but still wouldn't make a dent.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,693
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I consider it an act for the public good,  considering most other degreed jobs pay more and have higher financial upside. 
    I know some degrees workers who make half of what teachers make near me.  
    However, they work on social type work and that is horrendously underpaid - far worse than teachers.  (Many of the teachers at our local schools make 100k+.  This is not anyone who is sacrificing.  They do a hard job and I think they earn it - just lining it up with what many other jobs can pay.)

Also, I wish I were only losing $800 a month due to impacts of the virus.  That would be sweet.
    Losing way more than that.  (Way.)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,693
    Largest industry show for retail technology (called the NRF Big Show) moved their approximately 40,000 person attended show from January 2021 to June 2021.
    This shit ain't going away anytime soon.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

However, they work on social type work and that is horrendously underpaid - far worse than teachers.  (Many of the teachers at our local schools make 100k+.  This is not anyone who is sacrificing.  They do a hard job and I think they earn it - just lining it up with what many other jobs can pay.)

Also, I wish I were only losing $800 a month due to impacts of the virus.  That would be sweet.

In Virginia,  it's 57k. You must live in a very high cost area
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Definitely not social workers or counselors, which I believe are equally important to society.  Teachers actually make decent $ in Texas, but social workers get the shaft.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

If I'm not mistaken, you live in NJ.  I live in IL.  Two of the highest taxed states in the U.S.  What you describe is identical here.  It varies from district to district and also how tenured the teacher is, of course, but I have personally seen many teachers' salaries >$100K.  Many of these folks are nowhere near retirement age.  Factor in 3 months off for Summer and extremely generous pensions and it's not a bad gig.  In IL, a huge percentage of our outrageous (and still growing) real estate tax bills go to the school district and teachers' pensions.  Now, I realize every teacher is not paid at this level and salaries vary from state to state.  I'm also not suggesting that many teachers are not underpaid for what they do.  I just don't know that I can categorize the profession as a sacrifice.  The teachers I know get paid well and love what they do.  Additionally, I regularly see people with higher educations in the private sector that get paid peanuts compared to what an average teacher makes.  A Bachelor's Degree doesn't guarantee much in the way of compensation (nor a Master's Degree in some cases).  All of this said, I hope kids get back to school in a safe learning environment for all.

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Definitely not social workers or counselors, which I believe are equally important to society.  Teachers actually make decent $ in Texas, but social workers get the shaft.
    Important, but I won't quibble over equal/more, etc.  It's just astounding to me that we entrust teachers with so many hours per day with our children, but cheap out on the pay side.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,832
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

My wife's a social worker and it's hard, stressful work.  It's not like she doesn't make a living wage or anything, but per hour (she's probably doing 60 hrs a week) and given the angst, she's definitely not as well compensated compared to anyone else I know with a master's.  I'm guessing she makes about what teachers make, but it took her a while to get there.

They're a different kind of important than teachers...no need to rank 'em.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

If I'm not mistaken, you live in NJ.  I live in IL.  Two of the highest taxed states in the U.S.  What you describe is identical here.  It varies from district to district and also how tenured the teacher is, of course, but I have personally seen many teachers' salaries >$100K.  Many of these folks are nowhere near retirement age.  Factor in 3 months off for Summer and extremely generous pensions and it's not a bad gig.  In IL, a huge percentage of our outrageous (and still growing) real estate tax bills go to the school district and teachers' pensions.  Now, I realize every teacher is not paid at this level and salaries vary from state to state.  I'm also not suggesting that many teachers are not underpaid for what they do.  I just don't know that I can categorize the profession as a sacrifice.  The teachers I know get paid well and love what they do.  Additionally, I regularly see people with higher educations in the private sector that get paid peanuts compared to what an average teacher makes.  A Bachelor's Degree doesn't guarantee much in the way of compensation (nor a Master's Degree in some cases).  All of this said, I hope kids get back to school in a safe learning environment for all.

Yep, agree, and in NJ
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,917
    Regarding kids: Some friends of my family have came down hard with COVID. Both of their small kids (3 and 7) tested positive. One had a fever for a few days, the other was fine. 

Another family I know had to go into quarantine on Monday afternoon due to to positive cases at the daycare their toddler attends. No idea if it was another toddler or staff that was positive, but the daycare is now closed for the next two weeks.

As others mentioned, this idea of a national, one-size fits all approach to sending kids back to school isn’t going to work. What do you do if kids do test positive? shut them down again? Roll with it? Let a few die?

How about close down the bars, restaurants, and other gathering places of adults, and let the schools reopen?
    100%. sacrifice for the kids. absolutely. but non-parents won't go for it. 

Selfish people won't go for it.

I'm a non parent, and am fully on board with figuring out school before anything else.

Very true. my bad. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    what is the mean income of a teacher in the US? all my teacher friends in winnipeg do VERY well (at least to me, obviously it's all relative), and even better if they go back to school to up their education. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    what is the mean income of a teacher in the US? all my teacher friends in winnipeg do VERY well (at least to me, obviously it's all relative), and even better if they go back to school to up their education. 
    Average starting salaries for teachers in the US by state.

http://www.nea.org/home/2017-2018-average-starting-teacher-salary.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Average starting salaries for teachers in the US by state.

http://www.nea.org/home/2017-2018-average-starting-teacher-salary.html
    and in canada, :

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/81-604-x/2017001/t/tbld2.1-eng.htm
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.