Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,954
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for following up McGruff with that first large family you told us about that your close to.
    Meltdown, is it you, that works in a greenhouse? I think it was you, so this news scares you?
    Sorry the a*holes won't mask up in the bookstore Bri. 
    Yes, SHZA and NB, it is density as a factor.

I keep thinking of how I saw Trump say in the beginning "after this washes all over us..." Now and then I worry slightly that I have a March trip planned in San Diego.... I can't imagine living Stateside!

My Stepdad had a heart attack and stent procedure this week. Him and my Mom got negative CoVid tests. The hospital finally let in one visitor per person the same day old folks home got their visitation rights returned.

Be well, all! I'm going step up my cautiousness protocol again here as I see more tourists now.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Jimmie Johnson 7 time NASCAR Champ has tested positive...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,946
    Be careful to stay away from idiot anti-maskers! 

But also be careful, as wired here basically suggests, to not believe everything you hear in the media:

‘Covid Parties’ Are Not a Thing

No, Alabama frat boys aren’t doing snot shots and betting on who can get sick first. Why does the media keep suggesting otherwise?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I read that ^ and couldn't help but think of the "dumb" American stereotype. That and "I don't mean to be rude, but are most your fans fat?"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    tish said:
    I read that ^ and couldn't help but think of the "dumb" American stereotype. That and "I don't mean to be rude, but are most your fans fat?"
    tish, that last part IS an American stereotype ;)

(just see the exercise thread!)
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    Whole administration is crazy.  Only the best people.

• Options
    Smellyman said:

If you look really closely, there are tiny miniaturized Chinese people in the trees behind the guy who are furiously taking notes.  As for the trees- not trees!  Those are aliens disguised as trees in cahoots with the miniaturized Chinese people.  If more people had read Vonnegut, we'd have seen this coming. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,496
    edited July 2020

Chief physician Björn Olsen, professor of infectious diseases at Uppsala University is one of the sharpest critics of Sweden's corona strategy, the Public Health Authority and the state epidemiologist Tegnell.

Among other things, he and 21 other scientists wrote the debate article (op-ed) "The Public Health Authority has failed - now the politicians must intervene" on the DN debate.

The attention was huge and the article divided the Swedish scientific community.

- After that article, it was like hot knife cutting through butter, it cut through relationships within families and between friends and colleagues. There was a clear before and after, says Olsen in the Media in P1.

After the article, he was given the role of "critic" in the media, not the one who explains things. Olsen also says that SVT (swedish television) stopped calling him. Something SVT rejects.

- Rather, it is a sign that the issue has taken upp all the space all spring and more people are entering the debate. As journalists, we are discovering more voices, says SVT News Manager Michael Kucera.

Olsen is also critical of the media and other colleagues who commented on a wide spectrum of issues, even though it has not been their area of ​​expertise. 

- Vaccine research experts suddenly have to comment on the various phases of the pandemic. But of course, all guesses are good. It is important to make predictions and projections and to try to predict events, but one thing people should be clear about - most people are wrong.

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/coronaviruset/skar-sonder-relationer-mellan-familj-och-vanner/
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

If you look really closely, there are tiny miniaturized Chinese people in the trees behind the guy who are furiously taking notes.  As for the trees- not trees!  Those are aliens disguised as trees in cahoots with the miniaturized Chinese people.  If more people had read Vonnegut, we'd have seen this coming. 
    And this is a picture of an asshole 
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    11,400..way to go Florida...keep hitting those beaches
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    tish said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

And this is a picture of an asshole 

Hi ho!  :smiley: 

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,358

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    "Sweden has done something very important that other countries should learn from," says WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus in an interview with Svenska Dagbladet.

This despite Sweden having one of the highest death rates per capita in the world. In particular, the newly appointed Corona Commission is highlighted.

- Sweden has done something very important by starting an investigation to understand how the strategy worked. The WHO really appreciates this initiative, which other countries should take after.

WHO head of disaster preparedness, Mike Ryan, said in the same interview that WHO "appreciates how Sweden openly recognizes uncertainty about which strategy is best for combating the virus".

- It is impressive how Swedish decisions were made based on scientific interpretations of facts and not political interpretations of facts, Ryan tells SvD.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/3Jgxj9/senaste-nytt-om-coronaviruset
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The organization "Save the Children Sweden" has a live chat for young people living in a culture of "Family Honor" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_honor) to have someone to talk to.

Here are the subjects teenagers/kids connected to talk about in 2019:
    Love 49%
    Limitations 22%
    Friendship 17%
    Mental health 15%
    School 15%

And here are the subjects for this spring during corona:
    Love 51%
    Limitations 26%
    Violence in the home 17%
    Mental Health 17%
    Threats 12%

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    I love this:

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I love this:

Ha ha!  Perfect!

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389

The celebrity the Swedes would prefer to share a beer with this summer is state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell, according to a recent Novus survey conducted by Sweden's Breweries.

The criminologist Leif GW Persson is thus losing first place as the Swedes' favorite beer company, and ends up in second place. In place three is Jimmie Åkesson, place four King Carl XVI Gustaf, place five Stefan Löfven, place six Crown Princess Victoria, place seven Jonas Sjöstedt, place eight Jill Johnson, place nine Tomas Ledin and place ten Zlatan.

https://live.aftonbladet.se/supernytt/news/5efc3379d717b20011a84f81
    Lay your waste pipe elsewhere with your empty poster tubes full of air. Stefan number 5???!!! Sandkastens halts maul! Stefan and beer on Elm Street would be number 1!!!
    God bless you for revising the Stephen posts.  Those were pure gold!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389
    Cases on the rise but not noticing or reporting of hospitalizations and deaths.

I heard Houston has a spike but not hearing about anywhere else?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,375
    Cases on the rise but not noticing or reporting of hospitalizations and deaths.

I heard Houston has a spike but not hearing about anywhere else?
    Arizona hospitals are nearing capacity...91% of ICU beds and 85% of overall beds in use as of last Friday.

https://ktar.com/story/3362646/banner-health-details-plan-for-arizona-covid-19-crisis-standard-of-care/
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    mcgruff10 said:
    I love this:

Yeah, I think I should get this printed on a shirt and have like 5 made in different colors so I can wear one every time I go out in public. I am so tired of hearing people say, "Let's open it back up!" 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    There are three people in my office (an office of only 7 people) that are away at the three different beaches this week. Hope they don't bring the virus back. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    A very close friend of mine is a semi-retired health care professional who works one day a week at a hospital.  She told me how frustrating it is to occasionally  hear someone say, "It can't be that bad, I don't know anyone who has had the virus."  She said, "I've seen too many people who have!"  I sure hope she stays well.  It's unnerving to be so close to someone aged 67 working in that environment.  When she is not working that one day a week, she is at home sewing these beautiful face masks she makes and gives away.  She is one amazing woman!

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,515
    There are three people in my office (an office of only 7 people) that are away at the three different beaches this week. Hope they don't bring the virus back. 
    Ugh. My office has essentially banned non-essential business and personal travel unless approved, and we're still working from home. Seems pretty irresponsible to possibly bring something back to an office environment where one could infect others.  
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    Ugh. My office has essentially banned non-essential business and personal travel unless approved, and we're still working from home. Seems pretty irresponsible to possibly bring something back to an office environment where one could infect others.  
    Yeah I'm not too pleased about it. Not that I've been just sitting in my house for the past four months. I actually had a little July 4th gathering (only 6 people) that might have exposed me to something. But at least they're all local. My three co-workers have traveled to Ocean City, Maryland, Atlantic City, New Jersey, and some place in Maine respectively. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    SHZA said:
    Yeah I'm not too pleased about it. Not that I've been just sitting in my house for the past four months. I actually had a little July 4th gathering (only 6 people) that might have exposed me to something. But at least they're all local. My three co-workers have traveled to Ocean City, Maryland, Atlantic City, New Jersey, and some place in Maine respectively. 

There are still variations of what those "beaches" really mean, though. Hopefully they're full-fledged adults and they're not going to be part of one of those headline-grabbing parties we see.

I spent the weekend on Minnesota's "North Shore" and while it was probably the riskiest thing I've done this whole time, I spent very little time near anyone except for my wife (two restaurant dinners; one could have spaced us better). That said, 1) I'm not convinced it was a great idea and 2) I'm working from home.

It's tough...most people aren't just hunkering in the house like they were in March and April.  You could argue, easily, that we all should.  It puts you in a bad position...especially if any of them don't buy into the value of keeping their distance.  Not sure what you do...I'd consider looking into whether you can work from home (if that's logistically possible at your office).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,156
    SHZA said:
    It all depends on how they do their travel.  You can minimize risk greatly.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    SHZA said:

There are still variations of what those "beaches" really mean, though. Hopefully they're full-fledged adults and they're not going to be part of one of those headline-grabbing parties we see.

I spent the weekend on Minnesota's "North Shore" and while it was probably the riskiest thing I've done this whole time, I spent very little time near anyone except for my wife (two restaurant dinners; one could have spaced us better). That said, 1) I'm not convinced it was a great idea and 2) I'm working from home.

It's tough...most people aren't just hunkering in the house like they were in March and April.  You could argue, easily, that we all should.  It puts you in a bad position...especially if any of them don't buy into the value of keeping their distance.  Not sure what you do...I'd consider looking into whether you can work from home (if that's logistically possible at your office).
    We worked from home from March through mid-June, but now we're back. Again, I haven't been a saint about all this either. I wear my mask in stores and try to keep my hands sanitized, but I'm not acting like I did in April when I was sanitizing everything I bought from the store. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
This discussion has been closed.