Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    OnWis97 said:
    SHZA said:
    There are three people in my office (an office of only 7 people) that are away at the three different beaches this week. Hope they don't bring the virus back. 
    Ugh. My office has essentially banned non-essential business and personal travel unless approved, and we're still working from home. Seems pretty irresponsible to possibly bring something back to an office environment where one could infect others.  
    Yeah I'm not too pleased about it. Not that I've been just sitting in my house for the past four months. I actually had a little July 4th gathering (only 6 people) that might have exposed me to something. But at least they're all local. My three co-workers have traveled to Ocean City, Maryland, Atlantic City, New Jersey, and some place in Maine respectively. 

There are still variations of what those "beaches" really mean, though. Hopefully they're full-fledged adults and they're not going to be part of one of those headline-grabbing parties we see.

I spent the weekend on Minnesota's "North Shore" and while it was probably the riskiest thing I've done this whole time, I spent very little time near anyone except for my wife (two restaurant dinners; one could have spaced us better). That said, 1) I'm not convinced it was a great idea and 2) I'm working from home.

It's tough...most people aren't just hunkering in the house like they were in March and April.  You could argue, easily, that we all should.  It puts you in a bad position...especially if any of them don't buy into the value of keeping their distance.  Not sure what you do...I'd consider looking into whether you can work from home (if that's logistically possible at your office).
    We worked from home from March through mid-June, but now we're back. Again, I haven't been a saint about all this either. I wear my mask in stores and try to keep my hands sanitized, but I'm not acting like I did in April when I was sanitizing everything I bought from the store. 

We haven't been doing as much of that either, and I hope that's not a mistake.  Fact is though, we can't go around sanitizing everything we come in contact with forever.   I'm hoping that staying home as much as possible, always wearing a mask when going out, sanitizing or washing hands after going in a store or the post office, and not touching (or trying to remember to not touch) my face will suffice.  I think if everybody did the basics, we might have a chance at getting this thing under control.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    OnWis97 said:
    SHZA said:
    There are three people in my office (an office of only 7 people) that are away at the three different beaches this week. Hope they don't bring the virus back. 
    Ugh. My office has essentially banned non-essential business and personal travel unless approved, and we're still working from home. Seems pretty irresponsible to possibly bring something back to an office environment where one could infect others.  
    Yeah I'm not too pleased about it. Not that I've been just sitting in my house for the past four months. I actually had a little July 4th gathering (only 6 people) that might have exposed me to something. But at least they're all local. My three co-workers have traveled to Ocean City, Maryland, Atlantic City, New Jersey, and some place in Maine respectively. 

There are still variations of what those "beaches" really mean, though. Hopefully they're full-fledged adults and they're not going to be part of one of those headline-grabbing parties we see.

I spent the weekend on Minnesota's "North Shore" and while it was probably the riskiest thing I've done this whole time, I spent very little time near anyone except for my wife (two restaurant dinners; one could have spaced us better). That said, 1) I'm not convinced it was a great idea and 2) I'm working from home.

It's tough...most people aren't just hunkering in the house like they were in March and April.  You could argue, easily, that we all should.  It puts you in a bad position...especially if any of them don't buy into the value of keeping their distance.  Not sure what you do...I'd consider looking into whether you can work from home (if that's logistically possible at your office).
    We worked from home from March through mid-June, but now we're back. Again, I haven't been a saint about all this either. I wear my mask in stores and try to keep my hands sanitized, but I'm not acting like I did in April when I was sanitizing everything I bought from the store. 

I haven't even been to my office since March and won't until at least Labor Day (officially)...probably into 2021.  I think that should be the norm where it's feasible.  And maybe even the tradeoff for the summer trips your co-workers are taking.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I still do not understand why the entire economy was not put on pause until this thing was under control.  Almost 5trillion dollars in interest free loans from the Fed....I mean for that kind of money just take care of the damn people make sure food and water are available and have people stay inside for a few months.   The US problems with this can really all be attributed to capitalism at all costs.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    SHZA said:

I haven't even been to my office since March and won't until at least Labor Day (officially)...probably into 2021.  I think that should be the norm where it's feasible.  And maybe even the tradeoff for the summer trips your co-workers are taking.
    My husband too. Working (mostly?) from home makes a lot of sense if it’s viable. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    static111 said:
    I still do not understand why the entire economy was not put on pause until this thing was under control.  Almost 5trillion dollars in interest free loans from the Fed....I mean for that kind of money just take care of the damn people make sure food and water are available and have people stay inside for a few months.   The US problems with this can really all be attributed to capitalism at all costs.
    This is a bit extreme, to say the least.  So you’re saying that none of the countries that have the virus under control are capitalist countries?  
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited July 2020
    bbiggs said:
    static111 said:
    This is a bit extreme, to say the least.  So you’re saying that none of the countries that have the virus under control are capitalist countries?  
    I said “capitalism at all costs” Meaning the mindset. Not capitalism in general. It appears that the countries that got things under control were able to take some
    Extreme measure that we refused to, for largely economic and political reasons.  It seems pretty clear that all of the states in a rush to open were motivated more by the economy and capitalism than any scientific evidence.
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited July 2020
    bbiggs said:
    static111 said:
    I think the thing that sets the US apart is more that we are the most individualistic, as opposed to collective, country in the world.  That's at least a part of why you see so many people decrying masks as an affront to "choice" and "freedom" and mocking wearers as sheep.  The idea of inconveniencing one's self for the greater good is not really embraced here (see fuel consumption behaviors, for example).  There's a capitalistic thread to it all; the belief that the invisible hand magically fixes everything.  Of course, we're also extremely politicized at this moment and one ones calling out the sheep won't do anything their leader doesn't do...

It's kind of a tragedy of the commons.  Does whether I wear a mask make a huge impact? Maybe not. But when 35% of the population refuses to literally anywhere (even hospitals in some cases), then it does.  While a lot of people probably don't believe the idea that nearly universal mask wearing would make a huge difference, some probably do but aren't going to change their behavior for that reason. This can be seen in the anti-vax movement, as well.  If someone has evidence to the contrary let me know, but Americans seem less interested in looking out for the whole than people in a lot of other countries.

I'm convinced that if the masks primarily helped the wearer, as opposed to those around the wearer, they'd be much more popular.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,793
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    static111 said:
    I think the thing that sets the US apart is more that we are the most individualistic, as opposed to collective, country in the world.  That's at least a part of why you see so many people decrying masks as an affront to "choice" and "freedom" and mocking wearers as sheep.  The idea of inconveniencing one's self for the greater good is not really embraced here (see fuel consumption behaviors, for example).  There's a capitalistic thread to it all; the belief that the invisible hand magically fixes everything.  Of course, we're also extremely politicized at this moment and one ones calling out the sheep won't do anything their leader doesn't do...

It's kind of a tragedy of the commons.  Does whether I wear a mask make a huge impact? Maybe not. But when 35% of the population refuses to literally anywhere (even hospitals in some cases), then it does.  While a lot of people probably don't believe the idea that nearly universal mask wearing would make a huge difference, some probably do but aren't going to change their behavior for that reason. This can be seen in the anti-vax movement, as well.  If someone has evidence to the contrary let me know, but Americans seem less interested in looking out for the whole than people in a lot of other countries.

I'm convinced that if the masks primarily helped the wearer, as opposed to those around the wearer, they'd be much more popular.
    Bingo. 
  • Options
    Popularity should have nothing to do with wearing a mask.  It should be about doing what makes sense and being responsible.  Too many people have failed to learn/ be taught being sensible and responsible. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bbiggs said:
    static111 said:

Bingo. 
    Ha.  Was going to post the same.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,893
    Kat said:
    Our district has around ten potential plans for September.  Teaching is going to be way different this fall. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    At face value I agree that masks would be more popular if they helped the wearer, but that option does exist.  N95 masks do precisely that.  It's not going to change the minds of those that refuse to wear a mask.  This topic has become strictly a left and right one unfortunately. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Kat said:
    Great. There is a very strong argument for opening schools in the fall and it would be nice if people could have this extremely important discussion honestly and openly. I hope this doesn't become the next Team MAGA vs. Team Resistance slapfight. It was absolutely infuriating watching underinformed rageaholics scream at each other about the efficacy of a malaria drug, for instance.
  • Options
    Seriously, fuck Trump and fuck the Lincoln Project 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,894

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,619
    pjl44 said:
    This is why libs lose.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I received this link from a health care professional who really keeps up on things.  Some excellent thoughts about what makes a good mask:

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    pjl44 said:
    This is why libs lose.
    I love the Lincoln project 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    pjl44 said:
    Kat said:
    Great. There is a very strong argument for opening schools in the fall and it would be nice if people could have this extremely important discussion honestly and openly. I hope this doesn't become the next Team MAGA vs. Team Resistance slapfight. It was absolutely infuriating watching underinformed rageaholics scream at each other about the efficacy of a malaria drug, for instance.
    I text my friend the trump tweet and his response was “well I guess we know it won’t be safe, he hasn’t be right about anything with this virus”

and then I saw the Lincoln project. And they aren’t wrong.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    static111 said:
    I think many thought it was under control, at least to the point where it was worth the risk. We can’t be shut down forever. In March The economy was so great that my school district was projected to receive $12 million increase in their budget. When the budget was announced in June it was cut my $25 million instead. That is in just 3 months we went from increasing $12 M to reducing it by $25 M. 
    I do fear if this virus doesn’t get under control soon there will be irreparable damage to the economy. I’m not saying open at all costs, we do need to find a safe balance.
  • Options
    I notice people are getting more agitated about COVID-19 and also, many are just over it and say "Ah screw the virus. I have just as much chance of dying in a car wreck." I'm not a fan of people saying that, but looked at this way, the analogy can be useful:

Let's say cars hadn't existed until today and then all of the sudden, BOOM!, here are the huge chunks of metal, glass and plastic flying down the road at incredible speeds-- with people inside! Most of us would FREAK OUT! But cars have been around all our lives. We know that the more we wear seat belts, and drive defensibly and soberly, the more we avoid driving in inclimate weather and driving at night, the more alert we are, the more we keep our cool, the more likely we are to get home safely.

Same with COVID-19. The more we wear masks, wash our hands, and keep our hands off our face, the more we stay home and/or social distance, the more we take care of our health with exercise and good diet, and the more we strive to be less stressed, the better chance we have of staying well.

I'm for going with the better odds by doing the smart and right things and keeping my cool.

• Options
    So basically, common sense. 

Imagine that. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Good post, @brianlux.

I have a feeling we will start working from home again in the next 4-8 weeks at my office. Cases are spiking around here.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    pjl44 said:
    Kat said:
    I text my friend the trump tweet and his response was “well I guess we know it won’t be safe, he hasn’t be right about anything with this virus”

and then I saw the Lincoln project. And they aren’t wrong.
    It's a fine response if a couple friends are joking with each other. It's a horrible response if it's in the context of actual decision-making.

I'll give LP the benefit of the doubt and assume they're just needling Trump because that seems to be their mission. But I think it sucks for the discourse and especially when we're on the verge of having to make an extraordinarily crucial decision on school openings.

If a Republican PAC was running ads solely to needle Biden - focusing on Hunter, highlighting video of him being creepy or speaking incoherently - we'd all see it for the lowest common denominator approach that it is. (This will probably happen, too.)

Lincoln Project are grifters:
    https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2020/05/lincoln-project-capitalizes-on-trump-rage/

Lincoln Project had a video pulled for misinformation:
    https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/may/07/lincoln-project/mourning-america-ad-critical-trump-misleads-bailou/
    Post edited by pjl44 on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    I think many thought it was under control, at least to the point where it was worth the risk. We can’t be shut down forever. In March The economy was so great that my school district was projected to receive $12 million increase in their budget. When the budget was announced in June it was cut my $25 million instead. That is in just 3 months we went from increasing $12 M to reducing it by $25 M. 
    I do fear if this virus doesn’t get under control soon there will be irreparable damage to the economy. I’m not saying open at all costs, we do need to find a safe balance.
    Is that swing based on expected loss of tax revenue due to unemployment and discretionary spending reduction?  Or is there something else happening in your state/county?
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    Is that swing based on expected loss of tax revenue due to unemployment and discretionary spending reduction?  Or is there something else happening in your state/county?
    I'd also want to know what the heck is going on in mace's state (Colorado?) in general regarding education funding. From the a 10% pension contribution to exorbitantly rising health insurance premiums to now this -- it doesn't sound like the state and/or districts are very good stewards of the public's money, or they just don't seem to value public education. If I remember correctly, Colorado was one of the states that saw a teacher walk-out / "strike" in the past year or so. Every time I read one of mace's posts about teaching in that state, I count my blessings I don't teach there.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Good post, @brianlux.

I have a feeling we will start working from home again in the next 4-8 weeks at my office. Cases are spiking around here.

That's the way to go, M. if you can do it.  Home is always safer.

Cases are spiking here as well.  We had very few cases for the longest time but I think too many people let their guard down with the coming of summer, the holiday weekend, etc. 

Stay safe!

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro Tests Positive For Coronavirus

The far-right leader has spent months downplaying the severity of COVID-19 even as cases surge in Brazil.

Serves him right.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJ_Soul said:

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro Tests Positive For Coronavirus

The far-right leader has spent months downplaying the severity of COVID-19 even as cases surge in Brazil.

Serves him right.

Will it change anything in Brazil's response? I sure hope so but am not holding my breath. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
This discussion has been closed.