The coronavirus

Comments

• Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    bbiggs said:
    I just found out that a family of 5 we are good friends with took an antibody test. They all tested positive to have carried the virus, but none of them ever had symptoms. I’m getting the facts regarding the test in terms of accuracy, etc., but assuming it is correct, that is great news for them. I’m intrigued and may get tested as well once I gather more facts. 
    The problem is that we don't know if getting it once means anything.
    If it does mean they won't get it that would be great! 

Relevant to this: There was some good news on the acquired immunity front this week, including some potentially enlightening findings about existing immunity in populations that have never been exposed to SARS-CoV-2.

Immune warriors known as T cells help us fight some viruses, but their importance for battling SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, has been unclear. Now, two studies reveal infected people harbor T cells that target the virus—and may help them recover. Both studies also found some people never infected with SARS-CoV-2 have these cellular defenses, most likely because they were previously infected with other coronaviruses.
    And here’s something to think about: in the unexposed patients, 40 to 60% had CD4+ cells that already respond to the new coronavirus. This doesn’t mean that people have already been exposed to it per se, of course – immune crossreactivity is very much a thing, and it would appear that many people have already raised a response to other antigens that could be partially protective against this new virus. What antigens those are, how protective this response is, and whether it helps to account for the different severity of the disease in various patients (and populations) are important questions that a lot of effort will be spent answering. As the paper notes, such cross-reactivity seems to have been a big factor in making the H1N1 flu epidemic less severe than had been initially feared – the population already had more of an immunological head start than thought.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,409
    edited May 2020
    So... what you're saying is...
    Then, I wonder what the effect will be after we raise a sterile generation? 
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,075
    Bars and restaurants open a week earlier here..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    In BC it looks like public schools will resume some in classroom instruction on June 1. For elementary grades, kids will be attending 2 or 3 days per week, which I assume means that the classes will be split in half and alternating, to allow for distancing. High school kids will only attend once per week. All of this is optional and kids can finish out the school year without attending anything else in person. 
    The more you post, the more it seems BC has about the best handle on this that I've seen. As a side note, I would definitely take an antibody test if it was offered. I'd love to have the info and, if the test accurately came back positive, I could donate plasma.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    edited May 2020
    Wish Illinois didn’t have a shit bag governor. Handled the early stages very well, but has fallen off a cliff when it comes to a reopening plan.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    DewieCox said:
    Wish Illinois didn’t have a shit bag governor. Handled the early stages very well, but has fallen off a cliff when it comes to a reopening plan.
    +1
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    DewieCox said:
    Cubs might end up playing in Milwaukee after all.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,063

Refuting Bill Maher: "Chinese Virus" Is A Stupid, Bigoted Term

"I'm not referring to Chinese people." "That's where the virus came from." "You're being too sensitive." You may have heard these arguments and more from both liberals and conservatives oddly preoccupied with referring to coronavirus as the "Chinese virus" or "Wuhan virus" and defending others who do. Current Affairs editor Nathan Robinson offers some good reasons why you should refrain.

https://youtu.be/E_ajcLkthok
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,589
    edited May 2020

"I'm not referring to Chinese people." "That's where the virus came from." "You're being too sensitive." You may have heard these arguments and more from both liberals and conservatives oddly preoccupied with referring to coronavirus as the "Chinese virus" or "Wuhan virus" and defending others who do. Current Affairs editor Nathan Robinson offers some good reasons why you should refrain.

I saw the spot that Maher did on COVID-19 and it was excellent.  The bit about the name was not at all a problem for me.  The two lines that I think Maher said that puts this into perspective are, "Jesus fucking Christ, can't we even have a pandemic without getting offended?"  and, "This isn't about vilifying the culture, it's about facts." And I would say that in this case, vilifying the culture would not necessarily be inappropriate- at least not the part of the culture that engages in foolish behaviors like fucking around with viruses in a labs (we do that too and I call us out on that) and having wet markets that include things like bats and other wildlife.   That is fucking stupid and I'm not afraid to call the Chinese out on that, just like I'm not afraid to call out Americans for all the fucking stupid things we do. Maher also calls out the Chinese for quickly reopening  their wet markets "where exotic animals are sold and consumed" opening up the wet markets and says the PC police thinks its inappropriate to attack any cultural practices that are different from ours.  Really?  I don't see any problem with doing that when those practices are dangerous or immoral.

I sometimes think political correctness is making it hard or even impossible to be able to simply be sensible.  I don't have a problem with calling disease by their place of origin.  Especially when that place of origin is doing stupid things.  Why not hold the country of origin accountable?   The members of the Chinese society that created this virus fucked up my life and yours.  Do we not want to hold them accountable?  I do.  Does that make me racist against Chinese people?  Oh, for Christ's sake, no.

And really, aren't there  problems related to this disease that are far more important?  Like, are you and I going to survive this whatever you want to call it disease?

For those who missed it, here's the Maher video we are talking about:

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,119
    We cannot overstate the damage Fox News has done to this country.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,653
    brianlux said:

I saw the spot that Maher did on COVID-19 and it was excellent.  The bit about the name was not at all a problem for me.  The two lines that I think Maher said that puts this into perspective are, "Jesus fucking Christ, can't we even have a pandemic without getting offended?"  and, "This isn't about vilifying the culture, it's about facts." And I would say that in this case, vilifying the culture would not necessarily be inappropriate- at least not the part of the culture that engages in foolish behaviors like fucking around with viruses in a labs (we do that too and I call us out on that) and having wet markets that include things like bats and other wildlife.   That is fucking stupid and I'm not afraid to call the Chinese out on that, just like I'm not afraid to call out Americans for all the fucking stupid things we do. Maher also calls out the Chinese for quickly reopening  their wet markets "where exotic animals are sold and consumed" opening up the wet markets and says the PC police thinks its inappropriate to attack any cultural practices that are different from ours.  Really?  I don't see any problem with doing that when those practices are dangerous or immoral.

I sometimes think political correctness is making it hard or even impossible to be able to simply be sensible.  I don't have a problem with calling disease by their place of origin.  Especially when that place of origin is doing stupid things.  Why not hold the country of origin accountable?   The members of the Chinese society that created this virus fucked up my life and yours.  Do we not want to hold them accountable?  I do.  Does that make me racist against Chinese people?  Oh, for Christ's sake, no.

And really, aren't there  problems related to this disease that are far more important?  Like, are you and I going to survive this whatever you want to call it disease?

in most cases, its HOW a word or phrase is used. what tone and inflection its said with. case in point. Jew. Acceptable in most every circumstance until it has some shit behind it then its antisemetic, racist, bigoted what have you.

at its heart I believe political correctness is really about decency and respect.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

in most cases, its HOW a word or phrase is used. what tone and inflection its said with. case in point. Jew. Acceptable in most every circumstance until it has some shit behind it then its antisemetic, racist, bigoted what have you.

at its heart I believe political correctness is really about decency and respect.

I agree with you there 100% . 

I call the disease "COVID-19" and the virus "cornonavirus" because those are presently the common terms.  If it were called "Wuhan Virus" I would have no issue with calling it that.  When I was a kid, I had German Measles.  I'm half Amish which mean that I'm somewhat part German.  I don't know anyone who has a problem calling the illness "German Measles".  I don't. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

I call the disease "COVID-19" and the virus "cornonavirus" because those are presently the common terms.  If it were called "Wuhan Virus" I would have no issue with calling it that.  When I was a kid, I had German Measles.  I'm half Amish which mean that I'm somewhat part German.  I don't know anyone who has a problem calling the illness "German Measles".  I don't. 

The proper name for that condition is rubella, though, not German measles, and the term "German measles" wasn't intended to blame Germans for the disease. The condition was widespread by that point but was formally described by German physicians. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

The proper name for that condition is rubella, though, not German measles, and the term "German measles" wasn't intended to blame Germans for the disease. The condition was widespread by that point but was formally described by German physicians. 

OK.

I still stand by everything I said.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

OK.

Sure, go ahead, but know that the two situations are not at all comparable. 

Anyone who prefers to use the terms "Wuhan virus" or "Chinese virus" is doing so to stir up anger and ill feeling, and that includes Maher. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

OK.

Anyone who prefers to use the terms "Wuhan virus" or "Chinese virus" is doing so to stir up anger and ill feeling, and that includes Maher. 
    Even if you are right, why is stirring up anger towards the Chinese governments debacle regarding this virus a bad thing? 
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

OK.

Even if you are right, why is stirring up anger towards the Chinese governments debacle regarding this virus a bad thing? 

Exactly. 

Why is it wrong to call out shit that another country or culture does that is harmful?  I don't see anyone saying its OK to practice female genital mutilation because its "part of their someone's culture".

Like Maher said, "The PC police thinks its inappropriate to attack any cultural practices that are different from ours."  And what that does, really, is to feed the people who really are racist more ammo for their racism.  Overboard PCism feeds the other end of the spectrum by denying statements of fact and by taunting racists into taking facts and exaggerate them into racist thinking and remarks. 

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    edited May 2020
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

OK.

Exactly. 

Why is it wrong to call out shit that another country or culture does that is harmful?  I don't see anyone saying its OK to practice female genital mutilation because its "part of their someone's culture".

Like Maher said, "The PC police thinks its inappropriate to attack any cultural practices that are different from ours."  And what that does, really, is to feed the people who really are racist more ammo for their racism.  Overboard PCism feeds the other end of the spectrum by denying statements of fact and by taunting racists into taking facts and exaggerate them into racist thinking and remarks. 
    There is nothing at all wrong with that. There is plenty wrong with this however and a lot think that labeling it the Chinese Virus contributes and fuels this hate. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/chinese-coronavirus-racist-attacks.html

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/05/12/covid-19-fueling-anti-asian-racism-and-xenophobia-worldwide

https://theconversation.com/anti-asian-racism-during-coronavirus-how-the-language-of-disease-produces-hate-and-violence-134496

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/coronavirus-us-asian-americans-racism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_xenophobia_and_racism_related_to_the_COVID-19_pandemic (skip ahead to North America)

Post edited by PJNB on
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

OK.

Exactly. 

There is nothing at all wrong with that. There is plenty wrong with this however and a lot think that labeling it the Chinese Virus contributes and fuels this hate. 

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/05/12/covid-19-fueling-anti-asian-racism-and-xenophobia-worldwide

https://theconversation.com/anti-asian-racism-during-coronavirus-how-the-language-of-disease-produces-hate-and-violence-134496

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/coronavirus-us-asian-americans-racism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_xenophobia_and_racism_related_to_the_COVID-19_pandemic (skip ahead to North America)

Well, like I said, I call it COVID-19 and coronavirus because those are the common names plus, in no way do I want to be associated with racist, xenophobic creeps.   But I would not have considered it either racist nor xenophobic if the common name had become "Wuhan Virus".  The segment of the Chinese people who are responsible for this pandemic need to be held accountable.  That is not racism.  That is calling people out on there shit.  I will do that without need for apology toward any culture, country or group of people who commit egregious harm or danger to others. 

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,833
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

OK.

Exactly. 

Well, like I said, I call it COVID-19 and coronavirus because those are the common names plus, in no way do I want to be associated with racist, xenophobic creeps.   But I would not have considered it either racist nor xenophobic if the common name had become "Wuhan Virus".  The segment of the Chinese people who are responsible for this pandemic need to be held accountable.  That is not racism.  That is calling people out on there shit.  I will do that without need for apology toward any culture, country or group of people who commit egregious harm or danger to others. 
    OK, boomer.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

OK.

Exactly. 

OK, boomer.

Haven't been called that in a long time, LOL.

But, yeah, I'm done with this aspect of the pandemic.  It's COVID-19/ coronavirus.  It sucks.  It fucked up aspects of my life and it's fucked with all our lives.  And whether I agree totally with anyone here or not on certain things, what really counts is this:  I hope everyone here stays well and I hope you're all getting through this rough time as best as possible. 

• lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 386
    By golly it’s got to be challenging to be liberal leaning during these trying times.  I have been Calling it the Wuhan Virus since the beginning of this Pandemic for the reasons a few of you mentioned above that has nothing to do w/ being a Racist.  It has everything to do w/ being a REALIST which the PC police love to scream Racist every chance they get.  
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,313
    By golly it’s got to be challenging to be liberal leaning during these trying times.  I have been Calling it the Wuhan Virus since the beginning of this Pandemic for the reasons a few of you mentioned above that has nothing to do w/ being a Racist.  It has everything to do w/ being a REALIST which the PC police love to scream Racist every chance they get.  
    It's not difficult.  We still have our integrity, by not supporting an habitual liar.  Makes it easy. 
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524

You all say liberals defend Harvey Weinstein, so there's that.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,660
    mrussel1 said:
    It's not difficult.  We still have our integrity, by not supporting an habitual liar.  Makes it easy. 
    Not just a habitual liar
    He's also a misogynist, a narcissist,  a racist, a xenophobe, and a white nationalist.

And he does not care about his supporters/voters
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    Are you denying people are using it in a racist manner? 

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,035
    PJNB said:
    Are you denying people are using it in a racist manner? 

i have never seen it not used in a racist manner. 

i have only seen it used by trump supporters, and we all are very clear on their idealogy.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

OK.

Exactly. 

OK, boomer.

But, yeah, I'm done with this aspect of the pandemic.  It's COVID-19/ coronavirus.  It sucks.  It fucked up aspects of my life and it's fucked with all our lives.  And whether I agree totally with anyone here or not on certain things, what really counts is this:  I hope everyone here stays well and I hope you're all getting through this rough time as best as possible. 
    I hope the same for you, man. Be well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

OK.

Exactly. 

OK, boomer.

I hope the same for you, man. Be well.

Thanks, M.

Peace all.  I fell badly about stirring shit that needn't have been.  I suspect there are very few, if any, overtly racist Pearl Jam fans here and I think we all want the same things- an end to this horrid virus, peace on earth, and good music.  One out of three is a good start.

• Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited May 2020
    no one cares what you think, turbo white two first names

but imagine being so triggered by intolerance for your underlying racism you need to go out of your way to let everyone know you call a virus something it's not called
    Post edited by Mike D88 on
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
This discussion has been closed.