The coronavirus

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,119
    I fully expect my employer to unveil a poorly conceived plan for reopening that will neither be followed nor enforced. We have been on a rotation since this started with most employees in the office one or two days a week but spread out across the facility. The coordination of that was bumpy to start and has gotten worse each week.

No matter how well thought-out the plan, it won't matter if coworkers don't follow it and no one from management enforces it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    edited May 2020
    This is an overly complicated issue with no single solution for individual states, let alone the whole country. I am disappointed that more isn't being done for small business because this is the shittiest hand that could ever be dealt and could very well lead this country further in to being monopolized by a few giant corporations. When I drive by Walmart, Target, Menards, etc. and see the hundreds of cars I get pissed off because those places aren't just selling essential products and they're also doing the bare minimum to provide safer shopping environments for their customers and definitely less than what my local coffee shop and retail stores could do. Many of them don't currently limit customers, they don't spray the shopping carts with disinfectant and there isn't much changed in their operation besides some stickers on the floor at the checkout and plexiglass barriers in front of the cashiers. I applaud places like my local food co-op and Trader Joe's who limit people entering the store, require all of their employees to wear masks and spray down carts after every use. The Trader Joe's has taken steps I have not seen anywhere else. They have 2 people at the door handling carts and monitoring people coming in and going and they have someone at the entrance to the parking lot helping direct traffic because they had to close their parking ramp area to limit multiple access points. From talking with other family and work colleagues, this is not a common practice and it seems everywhere is just kind of doing their own thing.

This past weekend my family and I disappeared in to the north woods in a cabin we happened to be lucky enough to stay at for no cost. There was no one around and we got to hike, canoe, fish, etc. with nothing else around. It was glorious. On the way back, the kids wanted to stop at a Dairy Queen, so we decided, sure, why not. We went through the drive through with the other 7 cars already lined up and proceeded to pull up to the window to get our order. I was shocked when the cashier took my payment and there were 4 other people shoulder to shoulder, no masks, just doing their thing inside the tiny cramped area of the drive-up window. It immediately made me pissed off for all those small family restaurants struggling to figure out how to make curbside pick-up work when massive franchises can just keep doing their thing, but not allowing anyone inside. We don't ever get fast food and usually stop at the local ice cream shops so this was one of those once a year type experiences and it just made me disgusted.

At my work I am on the committee trying to develop these highly detailed return to work plans with screening, access control, room set-up changes and cleaning protocols to maintain safety and then there's places like DQ, Walmart and the like raking in the cash like not much has changed. I don't have a solution, but I do think we need to start being more reasonable with providing businesses who are forced to close with detailed plans and steps on what they can do to reopen in limited capacity. We definitely should not be going back to normal or opening up, but we need to start addressing the problems this is creating for local businesses. They either need to start giving them a lot more money and clearly stipulating who it is for and what it can be used for or help them find ways to re-open with the new protocols necessary to maintain safety. This includes stipulations for paid leave and accommodations for those most at risk or who cannot return to work due to loss of childcare or other personal issues due to coronavirus.

It is a hell of a lot of work and something our current POTUS is incapable of understanding or caring enough about to drop the partisan bullshit for at least one day.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,035
    i read late last night that sweden has had a sudden spike in new cases and are reconsidering their approach. can anybody confirm?
    That’s interesting, even more interesting will be what Greta Thunberg has to say about the Wuhan Virus.  She will be featured on CNN’s townhall Show on Thursday.  Can’t wait to hear what a 17 year old has to say about a World Pandemic.   

why on earth would you ever watch fake news cnn?

are you gonna hate watch it?
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 386
    i read late last night that sweden has had a sudden spike in new cases and are reconsidering their approach. can anybody confirm?
    That’s interesting, even more interesting will be what Greta Thunberg has to say about the Wuhan Virus.  She will be featured on CNN’s townhall Show on Thursday.  Can’t wait to hear what a 17 year old has to say about a World Pandemic.   

Will she be wearing her ANTIFA T-shirt?
    Nothing surprises me anymore, but I think she learned her lesson on that “honest” miscalculation...
    what is wrong with being antifascist?

Make Antifa Great Again?
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    This is really interesting and informative.

for those that wonder about her credentials-

What you need to know up front:

• I am not claiming to be an expert in coronaviruses, medicine, or preparedness. 

• I have PhD in Microbiology and Immunology from James Cook University, Australia.

• I am a Assoc. Prof. of Biology at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, where I teach and research infectious diseases and host immune responses of animals.

• I get all of my information directly from experts in their fields and from the papers those experts are publishing daily.

• I mostly write these articles for my family, friends, and students, who value my advice.

• My email is erin.bromage@umassd.edu if you would like to verify the authenticity of my posts. 

This contains very good information. Thank you. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,491
    Just watched the video clip of that absolute moron Rand Paul trying to lay into Dr Fauci.
    Moron says that outside of New England most of the states had no real issue with Covid-19.
    Does anyone find humor in that statement?
    How about the fact that only 1 of the top 5 states in deaths from Covid-19 are in New England?
    And, that the top two states, far and away, are not in New England?
    Does anyone find it humiliating to think that a US Senator does not know what states make up New England?  I will refrain from making jokes about the state he represents....but they deserve them for electing that idiot.

Fauci's responses were great.

Anyone who supports Rand Paul is a complete mystery to me.  How many times must this guy prove how dumb he is?
    not to mention how the very same rand paul tore into obama for doing nothing about ebola, which had 1 death at the time and wanted obama to ground all international flights. 

hypocrite. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    JimmyV said:
    I fully expect my employer to unveil a poorly conceived plan for reopening that will neither be followed nor enforced. We have been on a rotation since this started with most employees in the office one or two days a week but spread out across the facility. The coordination of that was bumpy to start and has gotten worse each week.

No matter how well thought-out the plan, it won't matter if coworkers don't follow it and no one from management enforces it.
    I returned to the office on Monday of this week. Since doing so, my production has dropped, my stress level is elevated and I’m not sleeping well. Ugh.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    JimmyV said:

I returned to the office on Monday of this week. Since doing so, my production has dropped, my stress level is elevated and I’m not sleeping well. Ugh.
    i am sure part of that is going back to the office in these uncertain times, whereas you know you are safe at home. hopefully it gets better and you all stay safe over there. 

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    Thanks numb nuts. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/12/coronavirus-update-us/#link-TJY7DDP3LBAKNNCS44MYNV2FMY

Accidental poisonings rose after Trump suggested injecting disinfectant could thwart coronavirus

Accidental poisonings in the country from disinfectants and bleach increased in April, the month when President Trump mused that people might be able to fight the novel coronavirus by injecting themselves with disinfectant, new data show.

The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported a 121 percent increase in poisonings from disinfectants and a 77 percent spike in bleach poisonings in April, compared with the same month last year. The April 2020 data included the seven days that followed Trump’s false and dangerous comment about disinfectant, which he made April 23.

The percentage increase in poisonings in the first 10 days of May was lower. Reports of accidental poisonings from disinfectants increased 69 percent and reports of poisonings from bleach increased 51 percent over the same period in 2019.

The AAPCC did not draw conclusions about what may have caused the significant increase in poisonings in April. Time magazine conducted the first analysis of the statistics as they relate to Trump.

Additionally, poisonings from disinfectant and bleach were already increasing before the president’s remark. Disinfectant poisonings increased by 5 percent in January, 17 percent in February and 94 percent in March, compared with the same months last year. The rise in poisonings hit 121 percent in April and 69 percent in May.

Compared with the same months last year, bleach poisonings increased by 7 percent in January, 1 percent in February and 59 percent in March before reaching 77 percent in April and 51 percent in May.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded that although it could not prove a causal relationship between increased poisonings and more frequent cleaning because of the coronavirus, the periods overlapped.

What trump verbally pondered was absolutely moronic, but these numbers are basic common sense. An increase in household supply and usage equals more accidents. In 20 years we'll be hearing stories of how thousands of people injected themselves with bleach because trump told them to do it, ever heard the one about Richard Gere and the gerbil or Rod Stewart getting his stomach pumped? If this had been attempted by anyone I am sure someone would have posted it here already.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,119
    mfc2006 said:
    JimmyV said:

I hear you and I do hope that is temporary.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    mfc2006 said:
    97JimmyV said:

i'm still at home and lately my production has plummeted. this crisis has made me realize how absolutely useless my career is. it's embarrassing to me that people are being laid off all over the place and my business has been deemed essential, because of the money we bring in for the government. so sure, yeah, we keep social programs afloat, etc, but at the same time, we keep people addicted and losing their homes (i work in finance in the lottery industry). 

sports betting is a massive portion of our industry's income. with zero sports to bet on, people are still gambling, just buying up online tickets and scratch tickets instead. our total sales of all products are still at 97% of budget, which is insane. 

i can't stand getting emails from our corporate office talking about innovation of products during this time of crisis. ugh. it just seems to me like capitalizing on people's hopelessness (which i guess has always been our business model). i know, as i said, that we make money for essential programs and services, but it still.....it doesn't feel right to me. 

www.headstonesband.com

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    mfc2006 said:
    JimmyV said:

I hear you.  I was one that stayed at work in the beginning, a very small %. Then for 3 weeks I was only in about 2 days a week.  I was back in full time prior to us re-opening more of our plant and am now in full time.  Over that period of time my productive fluctuated with my state on mind, regardless of where I was that day.  I had some uber productive days in plant and at home and some less productive days in plant and at home.  I'm heading down the slope again feeling overwhelmed and frustrated...but it to shall pass.  I do long for normality.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    JW269453 said:
    Thanks numb nuts. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/12/coronavirus-update-us/#link-TJY7DDP3LBAKNNCS44MYNV2FMY

Accidental poisonings rose after Trump suggested injecting disinfectant could thwart coronavirus

Accidental poisonings in the country from disinfectants and bleach increased in April, the month when President Trump mused that people might be able to fight the novel coronavirus by injecting themselves with disinfectant, new data show.

The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported a 121 percent increase in poisonings from disinfectants and a 77 percent spike in bleach poisonings in April, compared with the same month last year. The April 2020 data included the seven days that followed Trump’s false and dangerous comment about disinfectant, which he made April 23.

The percentage increase in poisonings in the first 10 days of May was lower. Reports of accidental poisonings from disinfectants increased 69 percent and reports of poisonings from bleach increased 51 percent over the same period in 2019.

The AAPCC did not draw conclusions about what may have caused the significant increase in poisonings in April. Time magazine conducted the first analysis of the statistics as they relate to Trump.

Additionally, poisonings from disinfectant and bleach were already increasing before the president’s remark. Disinfectant poisonings increased by 5 percent in January, 17 percent in February and 94 percent in March, compared with the same months last year. The rise in poisonings hit 121 percent in April and 69 percent in May.

Compared with the same months last year, bleach poisonings increased by 7 percent in January, 1 percent in February and 59 percent in March before reaching 77 percent in April and 51 percent in May.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded that although it could not prove a causal relationship between increased poisonings and more frequent cleaning because of the coronavirus, the periods overlapped.

What trump verbally pondered was absolutely moronic, but these numbers are basic common sense. An increase in household supply and usage equals more accidents. In 20 years we'll be hearing stories of how thousands of people injected themselves with bleach because trump told them to do it, ever heard the one about Richard Gere and the gerbil or Rod Stewart getting his stomach pumped? If this had been attempted by anyone I am sure someone would have posted it here already.
    I know what Richard Gere did but what did Rod Stewart do again?  Kidding of course.

Good retort but if people actually injected or drank disinfectant then I lean towards Trumps fault.
    mfc2006 said:
    97JimmyV said:

i'm still at home and lately my production has plummeted. this crisis has made me realize how absolutely useless my career is. it's embarrassing to me that people are being laid off all over the place and my business has been deemed essential, because of the money we bring in for the government. so sure, yeah, we keep social programs afloat, etc, but at the same time, we keep people addicted and losing their homes (i work in finance in the lottery industry). 

sports betting is a massive portion of our industry's income. with zero sports to bet on, people are still gambling, just buying up online tickets and scratch tickets instead. our total sales of all products are still at 97% of budget, which is insane. 

i can't stand getting emails from our corporate office talking about innovation of products during this time of crisis. ugh. it just seems to me like capitalizing on people's hopelessness (which i guess has always been our business model). i know, as i said, that we make money for essential programs and services, but it still.....it doesn't feel right to me. 
    Dude, tell me about it. I even work for a college and have been feeling the same way. It's hard to feel like anything matters right now that isn't effectively helping to find a cure or innovative way to help people in general. Times like these are when the sleaze balls roll out and capitalize on human suffering to become the next generations Jeff Bezos (not saying he's a sleaze ball, think what you want). I keep pondering on how can I take advantage of my current situation to make a change to my life for a better way? There has to be something more significant I can be doing. Until then, it's work from home and ponder the possibilities.
  • lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 386

I am always in search for a good laugh, especially during these trying times....So yes, I will watching the Clinton News Network like I often do for a chuckle.  
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,211
    JW269453 said:

I know what Richard Gere did but what did Rod Stewart do again?  Kidding of course.

Good retort but if people actually injected or drank disinfectant then I lean towards Trumps fault.
    My goodness, what parts of the dark web are you folks visiting?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135

I am always in search for a good laugh, especially during these trying times....So yes, I will watching the Clinton News Network like I often do for a chuckle.  
    So please tell us what is a legit news outlet? 

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,606

So please tell us what is a legit news outlet? 

OAN.  I mean if you want to anticipate what words will fly out of Trump’s mouth before a press conference, they provide the best insight.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,409
    Health Canada has an approved CoVid antibody test now. 
    JW269453 said:

You don't know the Richard Gere and Rod Stewart rumors?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,589
    JW269453 said:

I don't.  What's up?  Are they dating?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    JW269453 said:

I assumed those were pretty common urban legends, maybe just an 80's & 90's kid thing.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    JW269453 said:

Haha.. it amazes me how many people of our generation grew up hearing the same things, even without an internet.  Remember Mikey's stomach exploded after drinking coke and eating Pop Rocks?
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

Haha.. it amazes me how many people of our generation grew up hearing the same things, even without an internet.  Remember Mikey's stomach exploded after drinking coke and eating Pop Rocks?
    LMAO

www.headstonesband.com

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    edited May 2020
    Edit: Wrong thread!
    Post edited by pjl44 on
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:

2 of my other favorites were Vince Neil and Axl Rose both dying at their bands Peaks.  Rose was very funny because it even made it as a joke in Hit Parader magazine.
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    Trumpists don't realize how much of a self-own it is to call out "antifa" (literally anti-fascism).
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    Mike D88 said:
    Trumpists don't realize how much of a self-own it is to call out "antifa" (literally anti-fascism).
    Antifa:anti-fascism::Patriot Act:patriotism 
This discussion has been closed.