The coronavirus

Comments

• Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    what is wrong with being antifascist?
    Trumpists don't realize how much of a self-own it is to call out "antifa" (literally anti-fascism).
    Antifa:anti-fascism::Patriot Act:patriotism 
    I know you think you're being cute, but it's the definition of the word.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    Mike D88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    Trumpists don't realize how much of a self-own it is to call out "antifa" (literally anti-fascism).
    Oh, I know. It's like Patriot Prayer. They're patriots who pray. Very wholesome. Right in the name.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    I am sorry for posting something from everyone's favorite news source, but I feel messages like this don't get much attention with all of the pissing matches generally stealing the show. David Wooderson gets it.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,491
    edited May 2020
    JW269453 said:
    I am sorry for posting something from everyone's favorite news source, but I feel messages like this don't get much attention with all of the pissing matches generally stealing the show. David Wooderson gets it.
    i applaud MM for trying to keep as close to the middle on this as possible, and quite frankly, i'm shocked that fox news has a left leaning celebrity on their show, because jumping into one side doesn't really do a whole lot. but i just don't see this as a "both sides" issue. there are "both sides" issues, to be fair, but this doesn't seem like one of them to me. my perception from what i've seen is this:

-republicans vilifying democrats for wanting to keep people safe
    -republicans vilifying democrats for believing public health is priority number 1 and the economy is priority number 2
    -republicans actually advocating for sacrificing the weak in order to open back up (that was one of the more disgusting things i've seen from either side, on any issue, in recent memory)
    -republicans denying science, downplaying the severity, all because they have this strangely held belief that democrats actually want to destroy america (gee, where did they get that idea?). 

people want to go back to work because that fucking orange buffoon is doing next to nothing to help anyone. he blames everyone when things go to shit, and tries to take credit for things when they go right, even when they don't go right and he just claims they are. it is incredible to me that people believe him. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Thanks for the words, everyone. I’m just not a stressed or anxious guy, so this just isn’t normal for me. Hope it gets better.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,035
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    Oh, I know. It's like Patriot Prayer. They're patriots who pray. Very wholesome. Right in the name.
    what is wrong with being anti-fascist?
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,589
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:

And why would anyone NOT be anti-fascist? 

Fascism:  noun:  (sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    What is wrong is I don't trust the fascist-detection skills of a bunch of rage-fueled vigilantes and neither should anyone with an ounce of common sense.

Since we are wildly off topic, my final post on the matter is a great post from Ken White (aka Popehat) that is required reading for anyone seduced by the visceral rush of antifa or "nazi-punching." I clipped one of the more succinct points as a quick taste.

https://www.popehat.com/2017/01/21/on-punching-nazis/

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    JW269453 said:
    i applaud MM for trying to keep as close to the middle on this as possible, and quite frankly, i'm shocked that fox news has a left leaning celebrity on their show, because jumping into one side doesn't really do a whole lot. but i just don't see this as a "both sides" issue. there are "both sides" issues, to be fair, but this doesn't seem like one of them to me. my perception from what i've seen is this:

-republicans vilifying democrats for believing public health is priority number 1 and the economy is priority number 2
    -republicans actually advocating for sacrificing the weak in order to open back up (that was one of the more disgusting things i've seen from either side, on any issue, in recent memory)
    -republicans denying science, downplaying the severity, all because they have this strangely held belief that democrats actually want to destroy america (gee, where did they get that idea?). 

people want to go back to work because that fucking orange buffoon is doing next to nothing to help anyone. he blames everyone when things go to shit, and tries to take credit for things when they go right, even when they don't go right and he just claims they are. it is incredible to me that people believe him. 
    I guess we just live in a world where every single human decision has to be politicized, and I'm in the minority that doesn't like it.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    JW269453 said:

I think he's a right-leaning celebrity, albeit not a complete nut-bar like James Woods or someone.  Of course, that in itself makes it a shocking move from Fox News.  He doesn't even seem to want to own the libs.  In any case, I generally appreciate his attempt to not vilify either side (though these sides do exist) because the moment he does, he's discredited by one side.

I do think in many ways, this is a challenging issue with views I can respect (related to some of the what/when/how to move ahead, etc.).  But, I can't "both sides" all of this.  40% of the country doesn't believe any expert, any scientist, or anyone else with credibility because they believe Trump, Hannity, et al.  Just like they believe climate change can't be real because it was colder than average yesterday, they believe this whole thing is a hoax because nobody in their circle of family/friends has died. Oh, and they care about the feelings of a snowflake more than the actual good of the country.

It's funny, though...while I don't agree with some of the rosier things McConaghay (sp??) said, I do agree that "Democrats don't want the economy to suffer and Republicans don't want people to die."  Want and willingness are two different things...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    What is wrong is I don't trust the fascist-detection skills of a bunch of rage-fueled vigilantes and neither should anyone with an ounce of common sense.

Since we are wildly off topic, my final post on the matter is a great post from Ken White (aka Popehat) that is required reading for anyone seduced by the visceral rush of antifa or "nazi-punching." I clipped one of the more succinct points as a quick taste.

I love me some Ken White, really I do. He's the only political commentator I follow on my otherwise not political Twitter. But I'm gonna go with Popper on this one. If you give fascism an inch, it will take a yard.

That said, "antifa" as you seem to imagine it is largely a boogey-man conjured up by provocateurs in conservative media. They've even gone so far as to document their own acts of violence and then circulate that on social media as "antifa."

Now why would anyone want to do that? Hint: they'd like fascism to become acceptable.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    mfc2006 said:
    Thanks for the words, everyone. I’m just not a stressed or anxious guy, so this just isn’t normal for me. Hope it gets better.
    Hoping it gets better soon just keep being safe don’t let your guard down ,be well ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:

I guess we just live in a world where every single human decision has to be politicized, and I'm in the minority that doesn't like it.
    I'm in the minority as well, I guess.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    i read late last night that sweden has had a sudden spike in new cases and are reconsidering their approach. can anybody confirm?
    If only we had a passionate expert on all things Sweden around these parts.  We could really advance the conversation.  
    🤣 hahahahaha I needed that
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,589
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Mike D88 said:

I agree, it's not a good idea to trust "a bunch of rage-fueled vigilantes" for pretty much anything. 

There are exceptions.  "Rage filled" can be fun too!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

i fully 100% support punching nazis.

my grandfather fought a war to defeat nazis and fascists. he would be damned if they made any kind of resurgence in this country. their way of thinking needs to be eradicated.

i saw that some of the counties that opened last week and the week before had a significant increase in cases, so they are shutting down again.

i guess nemesis really does follow hubris.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,211
    Does Justice Kavanaugh’s kid live in Wisconsin?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405

Wow.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 386
    mfc2006 said:

Wow.
    Hell YES!!! Off to the summer home in Northern Wisconsin after work today 4 a long weekend away from my rotten brain infested city.    I sure hope our most frequented dive bars are legitimately open for business instead of going through the backdoor.....
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,833
    mfc2006 said:

Wow.
    Hell YES!!! Off to the summer home in Northern Wisconsin after work today 4 a long weekend away from my rotten brain infested city.    I sure hope our most frequented dive bars are legitimately open for business instead of going through the backdoor.....
    Carpe diem!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:

unfortunately when our government representatives make decisions based on politics, then the decision is therefore politicized. i don't like it either, but that's the hyper-partisan world we live in now. 

www.headstonesband.com

my wife's husband and his family live in green bay. i'm betting they still stay home. they are much smarter than this. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,606
    I was pretty confident the WI SC would rule against Evers on this, I just didn't expect it so quickly.  At least here in Milwaukee, we'll still be under a safer at home order.  This really just Darwinism at it's finest.  Sad to think all of the individuals that may contract COVID from these idiots crowding in bars, who weren't willing to behave like this.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    dankind said:
    mfc2006 said:

Wow.
    Carpe diem!
    Or carpe mortem. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,833
    dankind said:
    mfc2006 said:

Wow.
    Carpe diem!
    Or carpe mortem. 
    Well, let's hope for carpe diem.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I should open a bar in rural Wisconsin and call it "The Petri Dish."
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,409
    ^^ Or caveat emptor - let the buyer beware:)
    tish said:
    ^^ Or caveat emptor - let the buyer beware:)
    I like it!
    wwwliberaldictionarycomwp-contentuploads20

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    mfc2006 said:

Wow.
    Good god, what proof do you need to understand the implications of your actions, good luck high fiving the drunks at your local watering hole!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
This discussion has been closed.