The coronavirus

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    Things are going well in the tour postponement thread

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    mrussel1 said:
    wow ...I went away for a few hours and the thread in Porch on how this would affect the tour got shut down....oh well, guess I'll see what's being discussed over here. Maybe it's more reasonable
    Always come to AMT for the most reasoned, calm discussion.  In particularl you should discuss a combination of Sweden and trans athletes competing in organized sports.  
    Oh man, this kills me!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    pjl44 said:

What a bizarre argument.   I guess they should cancel shows over the scourge of cancer too. It's just as rational. 
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

What a bizarre argument.   I guess they should cancel shows over the scourge of cancer too. It's just as rational. 
    Great point!

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    That dude is special!
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,735
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,491
    This is actually giving me a much needed laugh. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Great point!

The king of non sequitur arguments. 
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    gotta give credit... I liked your posts over there HughF. 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,516
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    wow ...I went away for a few hours and the thread in Porch on how this would affect the tour got shut down....oh well, guess I'll see what's being discussed over here. Maybe it's more reasonable
    Always come to AMT for the most reasoned, calm discussion.  In particularl you should discuss a combination of Sweden and trans athletes competing in organized sports.  
    Oh man, this kills me!

Fans seem fairly supportive of the band in porch? It is a tough decision, although confusing. 3 major leagues plus ncaa have hundreds of games scheduled with packed arenas? Commuters on packed subways busses and trains? My wife is coughing in the bedroom now. Do I sleep on the couch? Our children going to school with hundreds of other kids. Kids are notoriously not careful about germs. Work, about a hundred co workers all going in a hundred different directions. Many have kids with germs. And maybe a few even shook hands with trump.

Is all this getting shut down? Because if not, I’m struggling to understand how missing one show is going to improve my odds of surviving this virus. Maybe 1%? Trying to be positive and understanding.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,588
    My wife was heading east on Highway 50 today heading home after visiting a friend and said she saw about 100 face masks strewn along the side of the road- probably from a carton of masks that busted open. I'm guessing this could have been because someone had a case of these things that wasn't secured in the back of their pickup truck and they went airborne. Terrible!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    People keep cancelling shit will only further everyone’s concern or panic, whichever you want to call it. 

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    People keep cancelling shit will only further everyone’s concern or panic, whichever you want to call it. 

Which will slow the spread of infectious diseases.  Including the flu, which everyone suddenly cares about for the first time ever since it helps them make an anti-...whatever point.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    I’m excited to listen to 538’s latest podcast entry. It’s titled “is even Coronavirus partisan?”
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    benjs said:
    I’m excited to listen to 538’s latest podcast entry. It’s titled “is even Coronavirus partisan?”
    Of course it is, there's science involved and the media is reporting on it.  The new brand of conservative has to reject it on sight based off those two points.  All my "conservative" (really, this means anti-liberal) FB friends post about it being a hoax to take down Trump, and saying it happens at every election.  They share memes with incorrect dates attributed to previous epidemic scares to link them to minor and major elections.
    You can't listen to scientists and scholars and still be team Red, you just can't.
    The whole of Italy is put into quarantine, but lets talk about like it's just the same ol' flu
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    The whole of Italy is put into quarantine, but lets talk about like it's just the same ol' flu
    The same ol' flu is both more infectious and more deadly.  The difference is every single case of it isn't being blasted on 24 hour news channels, putting everyone into a panic frenzy.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,516
    rgambs said:
    benjs said:
    Of course it is, there's science involved and the media is reporting on it.  The new brand of conservative has to reject it on sight based off those two points.  All my "conservative" (really, this means anti-liberal) FB friends post about it being a hoax to take down Trump, and saying it happens at every election.  They share memes with incorrect dates attributed to previous epidemic scares to link them to minor and major elections.
    You can't listen to scientists and scholars and still be team Red, you just can't.

Mr President have you been tested (cue picture of Trump shaking hands with quarantined patient)

Mr President will the 30 million uninsured be tested (cue picture of trump and VP turning their backs and walking out)
    The same ol' flu is both more infectious and more deadly.  The difference is every single case of it isn't being blasted on 24 hour news channels, putting everyone into a panic frenzy.
    Wrong, and wrong.  Have you read this thread?  Have you read anything from the CDC?
    My two cents on why I think the band had to make this decision:

- The situation is still pretty hazy and no one wants to be a headline. Here in MA, it's a conference Biogen hosted. Every day a new story. "5 more Biogen conference attendees test positive!" Ultra, SXSW, Coachella all canceled. You don't want that headline to read "Pearl Jam concert." Time may very well prove this to be overkill, but there is a ton of downside right now.

- Do you trust this fanbase? If someone was recommended to quarantine and they had GA tickets to 3 shows, how many Ten Clubbers would do the right thing? We all shook our heads at the guy who went to the father/daughter dance, but you're trying to tell me a significant portion of fans wouldn't do the exact same thing? Except they'd also be jumping on planes and trains. We all read the threads during tour announcements and ticket draws. You have to take that decision out of their hands.
    "more deadly"?  Do you only define that by raw numbers, not by rate?
    pjl44 said:

- The situation is still pretty hazy and no one wants to be a headline. Here in MA, it's a conference Biogen hosted. Every day a new story. "5 more Biogen conference attendees test positive!" Ultra, SXSW, Coachella all canceled. You don't want that headline to read "Pearl Jam concert." Time may very well prove this to be overkill, but there is a ton of downside right now.

- Do you trust this fanbase? If someone was recommended to quarantine and they had GA tickets to 3 shows, how many Ten Clubbers would do the right thing? We all shook our heads at the guy who went to the father/daughter dance, but you're trying to tell me a significant portion of fans wouldn't do the exact same thing? Except they'd also be jumping on planes and trains. We all read the threads during tour announcements and ticket draws. You have to take that decision out of their hands.
    The decision was inevitable.  The band would have to be tone deaf to the entire world community to keep the tour going.  They would be making a decision to believe Trump over science.  Wasn't going to happen. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,624
    Harvard is shutting campus down, telling students not to return after their spring break next week and will switch to "virtual instruction"
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    benjs said:
    Yes because everyone knows that the diseases like the weather, facts, and statistics have a strong liberal bias
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

The decision was inevitable.  The band would have to be tone deaf to the entire world community to keep the tour going.  They would be making a decision to believe Trump over science.  Wasn't going to happen. 
    Was it inevitable, though? Tool and Billie Eilish both just kicked off arena tours, to name a couple. Cancellations could be forthcoming but they're playing shows now.
    edited March 2020
    The same ol' flu is both more infectious and more deadly. The difference is every single case of it isn't being blasted on 24 hour news channels, putting everyone into a panic frenzy.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

Was it inevitable, though? Tool and Billie Eilish both just kicked off arena tours, to name a couple. Cancellations could be forthcoming but they're playing shows now.
    And there was just a story that a guy with Covid was in the pit at a Tool show.  That's a real risk.  I don't know the story about Ellish, but consider the festival situation and how those are being cancelled.  Considering how socially conscious the band is, it feels inevitable.  I also have Jazz Fest tickets, and think that's maybe 50/50 right now.  Fortunately that isn't until the end of April, so still some time. 
    325 people infected in Sweden. 
    Two in intensive care.

The Public Health Agency raises the level of likelihood of spread to "very High". 
This discussion has been closed.