The coronavirus

Comments

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,057
    The state in the time of covid-19
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    @Spiritual_Chaos, i haven't get it yet, are you agree or not with the Swedish policy about the virus??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    Pretty good, thorough article on everything past, present, and future

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-out-of-many-one-36b886af37e9
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    Smellyman said:
    That was interesting because I certainly don't recall that scandal. I'm a cyclist and I believe whenever one is riding on roads or trails you ARE SUPPOSE to wear a helmet to protect the brain in your head. Maybe the panelists don't have a brain.

It must have been a slow week on Fox.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    static111 said:
    Can anyone explain how a loose fitting non filtering cloth mask is supposed to help against droplets.  In construction we aren’t allowed to wear loose cloth masks because dust and all manner of things can be breathed in. That’s why there are construction grade respirator masks. So how is a piece of clothing fabric going to save us?

You misunderstand the purpose of wearing a mask

It has nothing to do with saving you or helping what you breath in . It might do a little to help you but that is not the reason for wearing a cloth mask. It is suggested to be worn to minimize the risk you are, especially if you are asymptomatically infected, from killing others. It will reduce your spray field that could infect others. I am guessing the amenity crowd ain’t too fond of that truth.
    edited April 2020
    brianlux said:
    Fuck this virus.  Just fuck it.

More than that Mr. Brian, are the “it’s not that big of a deal” crowd who still do not understand the dangers of a highly contagious asymptomatic disease.
    PJNB said:
    Is anyone else seeing the incredible news coming out of Italy? Sorry if already posted but this is amazing to me! 

"The number of patients in intensive care across Italy's hospitals was 4,068, although that figure is a rise of only 15 on Thursday's number, which 18 more than on Wednesday. In the early stages of the epidemic the number of people being admitted to intensive care rose by hundreds each day."

It is encouraging but the only thing possibly saving us is social distancing. Once we get back to normal socializing, how do we stop this from re-emerging?

We are in desperate need of a treatment.
    23scidoo said:
    The state in the time of covid-19

Without big government, we would be powerless from preventing infections among the majority of our species.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited April 2020
    tbergs said:
    I'm not sure where to put this article so I'm dropping it here because it is a direct result of the pandemic. It's painful to see so much food go to waste at a time like this. I can't believe there aren't other options where they could at least find a way to save some production. This just further confirms my disgust for the dairy industry.

"It's just gut-wrenching," said Leedle, 36, as he stood inside his barn, with cows lowing softly as the animals were giving milk that would be funneled directly into a manure pit. "All I can see is that line going down the drain."

Leedle has dumped 4,700 gallons of milk from his 480 cows each day since Tuesday. The 7,500-member DFA told Reuters it has asked some other farmers in the cooperative to do the same but did not say how many.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-dairy-insight-idUSKBN21L1DW

Thank you for sharing the article. This (below) just further confirms my disgust with the entire Standard American Diet and the amount of money people waste with their demand for unhealthy, mass-produced food that has now put many of them in a "high-risk" category for this disease. And yet I'm sure when all this is over, people will go back to doing what they do best -- eating crap, wasting money and FOOD. Before this pandemic, about 40% of the nation's food supply already went into the dumpster. Wasting food is nothing new in America: 

About half of U.S. consumers’ food budget was spent on restaurants, and we’ve shut that spigot off,” said Matt Gould, editor at trade publication Dairy & Food Market Analysis.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,019
    edited April 2020
    tbergs said:
    I'm not sure where to put this article so I'm dropping it here because it is a direct result of the pandemic. It's painful to see so much food go to waste at a time like this. I can't believe there aren't other options where they could at least find a way to save some production. This just further confirms my disgust for the dairy industry.

"It's just gut-wrenching," said Leedle, 36, as he stood inside his barn, with cows lowing softly as the animals were giving milk that would be funneled directly into a manure pit. "All I can see is that line going down the drain."

Leedle has dumped 4,700 gallons of milk from his 480 cows each day since Tuesday. The 7,500-member DFA told Reuters it has asked some other farmers in the cooperative to do the same but did not say how many.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-dairy-insight-idUSKBN21L1DW

That was interesting and scary, to read, thanks.
    The ripple effect is pretty mind blowing.
    Post edited by RunIntoTheRain on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,054
    On Saturday, the Public Health Agency reported that a total of 373 people have died as a result of covid-19, an increase of 40 cases since Friday. 154 of these are women and 219 are men.

At the same time, more than 6,400 people have tested positive for the corona virus. 520 people are in intensive care, and the vast majority of these are men.

The dominant age group among the deceased in covid-19 over 70 years. At the same time, the infection continues to spread to the country's retirement homes, not least in the Stockholm area.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    On Saturday, the Public Health Agency reported that a total of 373 people have died as a result of covid-19, an increase of 40 cases since Friday. 154 of these are women and 219 are men.

At the same time, more than 6,400 people have tested positive for the corona virus. 520 people are in intensive care, and the vast majority of these are men.

The dominant age group among the deceased in covid-19 over 70 years. At the same time, the infection continues to spread to the country's retirement homes, not least in the Stockholm area.
    Your country walks the wrong road man..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    static111 said:
    Can anyone explain how a loose fitting non filtering cloth mask is supposed to help against droplets.  In construction we aren’t allowed to wear loose cloth masks because dust and all manner of things can be breathed in. That’s why there are construction grade respirator masks. So how is a piece of clothing fabric going to save us?
    It’s not supposed to protect you from others, but others from you. One big reason for this request is the number of people spreading it without realizing they have it. A loose cloth won’t filter what’s coming in, but will filter what’s going out.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382

You guys are the Tennessee of Europe. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613
    mcgruff10 said:

ouch

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mcgruff10 said:

Is this a Taylor Swift reference
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    23scidoo said:

Your country walks the wrong road man..

Sweden:

The rest of the world:

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    It’s not supposed to protect you from others, but others from you. One big reason for this request is the number of people spreading it without realizing they have it. A loose cloth won’t filter what’s coming in, but will filter what’s going out.
    I would also ask, haven't you ever done work with no mask vs just a bandana and noticed the difference?  It may not be perfect, it may not be occupationally safe, but it absolutely helps to a degree.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It has nothing to do with saving you or helping what you breath in . It might do a little to help you but that is not the reason for wearing a cloth mask. It is suggested to be worn to minimize the risk you are, especially if you are asymptomatically infected, from killing others. It will reduce your spray field that could infect others. I am guessing the amenity crowd ain’t too fond of that truth.
    Thanks I was wondering how a piece of cloth that can’t filter out dust particles was going to filter out water vapor and droplets. So basically it’s designed to catch as much as it can from spreading when the individual wearer exhales? It’s kind of like getting in a car accident with a seatbelt and no airbags.  Sure you want the airbags but a seatbelt is better than nothing.  Does anyone know what percentage of your breath or sneezes a piece of cloth is supposed to filter out? Just wondering what effectiveness they are projecting this measure to have?  And before anyone jumps down my neck, I have some bandannas and scarves that I will be wearing out.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    edited April 2020
    The Tennessee of Europe:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-04/sweden-girds-for-thousands-of-deaths-amid-laxer-virus-response

Sweden Girds for Thousands of Deaths Amid Laxer Virus Response

There are signs that the death rate in Sweden is growing faster than elsewhere in Scandinavia, raising pressure on the government to abandon its controversial hands-off approach in tackling Covid-19.

The Swedish experiment has drawn international bewilderment as schools, restaurants and cafes have remained open. And while other countries passed laws restricting movement, Sweden’s Prime Minister Stefan Lofven relied on the common sense of his fellow citizens to carry his country through the pandemic.

But after a week of sobering data, Lofven now seems to be striking a darker tone. In an interview published on Saturday by Dagens Nyheter, he warned that Sweden may be facing “thousands” of coronavirus deaths, and said the crisis is likely to drag on for months rather than weeks. Meanwhile, newspaper Expressen reported that his Social Democrat-led government may be seeking extraordinary powers to bypass parliament and force through a sterner response to the virus.

The number of Swedish deaths rose to 373 on Saturday, up 12% from Friday. That brings the rate per million in Scandinavia’s biggest economy to 36, compared with 29 in Denmark and 9 in Norway, where much tougher lockdowns are in place.

Sweden’s top epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, says the goal in his country, like everywhere else, is to “flatten the curve” to avoid overwhelming hospitals. As of Thursday, he said that curve is “starting to become somewhat steeper, but overall” remains “fairly flat.”

But Covid-19 comes with so many unknowns that Sweden’s approach has some of its own experts worried.

“They are used to making evidence-based decisions, but that doesn’t work for a pandemic like this, where key coordinates are unknown,” said Claudia Hanson, a Stockholm-based senior lecturer in global public health.

The history of social isolation as an intelligent response to outbreaks like Covid-19 is compelling. Roughly a century ago, when the world was dealing with the Spanish flu, two U.S. cities ended up becoming case studies due to their very different approaches. In Philadelphia, the city staged a parade with 200,000 people a week and a half after the first case was identified, and quickly saw a sharp spike in the death rate. In St. Louis, officials imposed tough social distancing rules; the death rate there was less than half Philadelphia’s.

Meanwhile, the economic cost of shutting down an entire society has added another layer to the debate. But with much of the rest of the world going into lockdown, Sweden’s efforts to keep its economy open aren’t doing much to shield it from recession. In fact, some economists warn Swedish GDP may contract as much as 8% this year, which would represent a far deeper crisis than in 2008-2009.

Sweden has already taken a few steps toward more restrictions. It recently banned gatherings larger than 50, compared with 500 previously. And restaurants can only serve patrons while they’re seated at tables, not while standing at bars. Visits to retirement homes for the elderly are banned, and Lofven has made clear stricter instructions may follow.

But it remains a far cry from measures taken elsewhere. In neighboring Denmark, citizens face hefty fines and even prison sentences for breaking new coronavirus laws. Controversially, the government has also made it easier to expel immigrants as part of the freshly minted legislation.

Lofven has so far sought to play down the role of legislation in shaping Sweden’s response.

“We will never be able to legislate everything, we will never be able to ban all harmful actions,” Lofven said last week. “We all as individuals must take our responsibility.”

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,422
    The number that always seemed most important to me was the ICU cases in each country. Yes testing positive matters but the number of people that are in the ICU is a much more significant indication on how our hospitals are looking and how many deaths are likely to be coming from this virus. This is the first time since they have been keeping track that Italy's numbers have dropped and it was a substantial drop imo for it being the first time. I am hoping that in a couple of weeks we will be talking about hundreds and not thousands. 

Number of people in ICU beds in Italy from Covid 19

-April 4: 3994
    -April 3: 4068
    -April 2: 4053
    -April 1: 4035
    -March 31: 4023
    -March 30: 3981
    -March 29: 3906

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Thanks I was wondering how a piece of cloth that can’t filter out dust particles was going to filter out water vapor and droplets. So basically it’s designed to catch as much as it can from spreading when the individual wearer exhales? It’s kind of like getting in a car accident with a seatbelt and no airbags.  Sure you want the airbags but a seatbelt is better than nothing.  Does anyone know what percentage of your breath or sneezes a piece of cloth is supposed to filter out? Just wondering what effectiveness they are projecting this measure to have?  And before anyone jumps down my neck, I have some bandannas and scarves that I will be wearing out.
    A video posted earlier also pointed that it can mitigate germs transferred from hands to face contact. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    PJNB said:
    The number that always seemed most important to me was the ICU cases in each country. Yes testing positive matters but the number of people that are in the ICU is a much more significant indication on how our hospitals are looking and how many deaths are likely to be coming from this virus. This is the first time since they have been keeping track that Italy's numbers have dropped and it was a substantial drop imo for it being the first time. I am hoping that in a couple of weeks we will be talking about hundreds and not thousands. 

Noice!!

I was pretty shocked to hear the number of available hospital beds. 12,000 available in an entire state that includes Chicago. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:

Noice!!

I was pretty shocked to hear the number of available hospital beds. 12,000 available in an entire state that includes Chicago. 
    There’s only over 1million beds total in the whole country 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mcgruff10 said:
    The Tennessee of Europe:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-04/sweden-girds-for-thousands-of-deaths-amid-laxer-virus-response

Sweden Girds for Thousands of Deaths Amid Laxer Virus Response

There are signs that the death rate in Sweden is growing faster than elsewhere in Scandinavia, raising pressure on the government to abandon its controversial hands-off approach in tackling Covid-19.

The Swedish experiment has drawn international bewilderment as schools, restaurants and cafes have remained open. And while other countries passed laws restricting movement, Sweden’s Prime Minister Stefan Lofven relied on the common sense of his fellow citizens to carry his country through the pandemic.

But after a week of sobering data, Lofven now seems to be striking a darker tone. In an interview published on Saturday by Dagens Nyheter, he warned that Sweden may be facing “thousands” of coronavirus deaths, and said the crisis is likely to drag on for months rather than weeks. Meanwhile, newspaper Expressen reported that his Social Democrat-led government may be seeking extraordinary powers to bypass parliament and force through a sterner response to the virus.

The number of Swedish deaths rose to 373 on Saturday, up 12% from Friday. That brings the rate per million in Scandinavia’s biggest economy to 36, compared with 29 in Denmark and 9 in Norway, where much tougher lockdowns are in place.

Sweden’s top epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, says the goal in his country, like everywhere else, is to “flatten the curve” to avoid overwhelming hospitals. As of Thursday, he said that curve is “starting to become somewhat steeper, but overall” remains “fairly flat.”

But Covid-19 comes with so many unknowns that Sweden’s approach has some of its own experts worried.

“They are used to making evidence-based decisions, but that doesn’t work for a pandemic like this, where key coordinates are unknown,” said Claudia Hanson, a Stockholm-based senior lecturer in global public health.

The history of social isolation as an intelligent response to outbreaks like Covid-19 is compelling. Roughly a century ago, when the world was dealing with the Spanish flu, two U.S. cities ended up becoming case studies due to their very different approaches. In Philadelphia, the city staged a parade with 200,000 people a week and a half after the first case was identified, and quickly saw a sharp spike in the death rate. In St. Louis, officials imposed tough social distancing rules; the death rate there was less than half Philadelphia’s.

Meanwhile, the economic cost of shutting down an entire society has added another layer to the debate. But with much of the rest of the world going into lockdown, Sweden’s efforts to keep its economy open aren’t doing much to shield it from recession. In fact, some economists warn Swedish GDP may contract as much as 8% this year, which would represent a far deeper crisis than in 2008-2009.

Sweden has already taken a few steps toward more restrictions. It recently banned gatherings larger than 50, compared with 500 previously. And restaurants can only serve patrons while they’re seated at tables, not while standing at bars. Visits to retirement homes for the elderly are banned, and Lofven has made clear stricter instructions may follow.

But it remains a far cry from measures taken elsewhere. In neighboring Denmark, citizens face hefty fines and even prison sentences for breaking new coronavirus laws. Controversially, the government has also made it easier to expel immigrants as part of the freshly minted legislation.

Lofven has so far sought to play down the role of legislation in shaping Sweden’s response.

“We will never be able to legislate everything, we will never be able to ban all harmful actions,” Lofven said last week. “We all as individuals must take our responsibility.”

thx.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    Unemployment numbers are literally off the charts.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thingswork/status/1246150462073536512?s=12
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    bbiggs said:

Will only get worse but as we all know it’s Obama’s fault for not having enough stockpile of PPE for a pandemic! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,279
    bbiggs said:

Will only get worse but as we all know it’s Obama’s fault for not having enough stockpile of PPE for a pandemic! 
    It’s because of the pandemic. Which forced businesses to close. Which resulted in lost jobs. We all know Obama did no wrong. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,181
    nicknyr15 said:
    bbiggs said:

It’s because of the pandemic. Which forced businesses to close. Which resulted in lost jobs. We all know Obama did no wrong. 
    Oh no, Obama did plenty wrong. Especially not arresting and handing over to The Hague for trial the war criminals Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.