Options

The coronavirus

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,842
    I've talked with two different people this week....one is a lab technician and another a surgeon.

Both say that this virus is nothing to be real concerned about.  The surgeon told me that there are likely hundreds of people that have had the virus and just considered it an upper respiratory cold. 

Interesting perspectives.  They are either correct or insane.
    I’m no doctor, but I’ve read and listen to them. I do think that for the normal population this isn’t a huge deal other than the fear of the unknown. But for the at risk population it’s an enormously big deal 

I think you're right, Cincy.  For most people, this is probably no worse than all the other viruses that circulate around every year.  And for the more at risk population...

I hate to admit it, but personally, I'm feeling a bit like Mr. Candy here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,989
    A third person just tested positive in New Jersey.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,324
    I GET THAT MILANO 2006 IS THE GREATEST PEARL JAM SHOW OF ALL TIME

BUT CAN

PEOPLE STOP GOING TO NORTHERN EUROPE?!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,165
    COVID19 is harmful to elderly and people with bad immune systems.  Almost all of us will be fine.  We still need to try and stop the spread of it though.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    I've talked with two different people this week....one is a lab technician and another a surgeon.

Both say that this virus is nothing to be real concerned about.  The surgeon told me that there are likely hundreds of people that have had the virus and just considered it an upper respiratory cold. 

I’m no doctor, but I’ve read and listen to them. I do think that for the normal population this isn’t a huge deal other than the fear of the unknown. But for the at risk population it’s an enormously big deal 
    Yes. If your immune system is compromised or have any chronic lung issues this could be a very big deal. Both my father and mother are high risk, father has COPD and mother has Lupus that has damaged her lungs.

So yes, if you are young and healthy this won't be a big deal to your personal health.  But if it gets carried away, most of us will know someone who will be impacted by this in a bad way.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,378
    All day at work I’m pumping the purel pumps we have them everywhere in hospital ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,147
    All day at work I’m pumping the purel pumps we have them everywhere in hospital ..
    I didn’t know mental hospitals had so much purrel
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,587
    First Ultra Music fest and now SXSW....
    SXSW is canceled over coronavirus concerns https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/media/sxsw-preparation-coronavirus/index.html

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

It seems highly irresponsible of medical professionals to tell anyone that there isn't anything to be concerned about. We have a novel virus with no vaccine, no specific antiviral treatment, and are just at the beginning of community spread in this country. If nothing else, the concern is containment to minimize transmission. 

Reminder that even if you are not in a high risk category, you likely have family members who are. So if you get it and have no underlying medical issues, it will probably be like a mild flu. You'll be fine. If you have no relatives and live alone, no big deal. But if you get it, and then pass it along to a loved one with a compromised immune system, someone elderly like a parent or someone pregnant, then you've just put them in harm's way.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,378
    I don’t work in a mental hospital.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

It seems highly irresponsible of medical professionals to tell anyone that there isn't anything to be concerned about. We have a novel virus with no vaccine, no specific antiviral treatment, and are just at the beginning of community spread in this country. If nothing else, the concern is containment to minimize transmission. 

Reminder that even if you are not in a high risk category, you likely have family members who are. So if you get it and have no underlying medical issues, it will probably be like a mild flu. You'll be fine. If you have no relatives and live alone, no big deal. But if you get it, and then pass it along to a loved one with a compromised immune system, someone elderly like a parent or someone pregnant, then you've just put them in harm's way.

Great points, Jeff.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,989
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

Great points, Jeff.
    +1
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Went to Costco last night just for pizza. Saw half the cleaning shelves just empty. No TP, paper towels, Lysol, etc. 
    I still don’t understand why this virus makes people want to stock up on toilet paper? Do they think they’ll stop making it or something?
    Wait, you went to Costco ..... for pizza? 

😜😜
    Yup. Their pizza is good. I sometimes go in for just a pizza or chicken.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    dignin said:

Yes. If your immune system is compromised or have any chronic lung issues this could be a very big deal. Both my father and mother are high risk, father has COPD and mother has Lupus that has damaged her lungs.

or any type of Heart issues... 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:

Yes, that too.

Stay safe, at least the big man is taking charge.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1236059773231079430?s=12

Unbelievable.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:

Yes, that too.

Unbelievable.
    Wish I didn't watch that.. ::shaking head:: Unbelievable, is an understatement.  :s

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:

Yes, that too.

Unbelievable.
    Wish I didn't watch that.. ::shaking head:: Unbelievable, is an understatement.  :s
    Sorry. Here's a clown to maybe make up for it.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    "First I want to thank you, for your decisive leadership ... I also want to thank you for coming here today ... I think that's the most important thing I want to say" --CDC Director Redfield slathers Dear Leader-style praise on Trump during his tour of CDC headquarters

WTF?  This sounds like shit you see in freakin dictatorships...

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:

Yes, that too.

Unbelievable.

He is so fucking dumb.

How dumb do you have to be to still support him?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:

Yes, that too.

Unbelievable.

"Trump muses that he could’ve become a research scientist instead of president."

Uhhh, yeah.  And if I had wanted to, I coulda been a better guitar player than Jimi Hendrix.  Riiiiiiiight.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:

Yes, that too.

Unbelievable.

"Trump muses that he could’ve become a research scientist instead of president."

Uhhh, yeah.  And if I had wanted to, I coulda been a better guitar player than Jimi Hendrix.  Riiiiiiiight.
    I think of all Trump "moments" this CDC thing is simply mind-blowing!!!. How anyone with any basic common sense can watch that and not see his idiocy is beyond my ability to comprehend. Seriously... WTF people? 

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,147
    I don’t work in a mental hospital.
    I know you don’t work there.

Just a bad joke apparently ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,825
    myoung321 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:

Yes, that too.

Unbelievable.

I think of all Trump "moments" this CDC thing is simply mind-blowing!!!. How anyone with any basic common sense can watch that and not see his idiocy is beyond my ability to comprehend. Seriously... WTF people? 
    The people that still work for him is what I really don’t understand. If I were Azar, I would have turned around, walked out and Ubered home. Do any of these people have any self respect or do they prefer whoring themselves out to Team Trump Treason? How do they sleep at night?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:

Yes, that too.

Unbelievable.

Truly!  Mind blowing it is.  How the fuck did (at least some of) America get this way?

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,798
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Went to Costco last night just for pizza. Saw half the cleaning shelves just empty. No TP, paper towels, Lysol, etc. 
    I still don’t understand why this virus makes people want to stock up on toilet paper? Do they think they’ll stop making it or something?
    Wait, you went to Costco ..... for pizza? 

😜😜
    Best pizza in Manhattan
    They sell Lou Malnati's at Costco?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    myoung321 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:

Yes, that too.

Unbelievable.

Truly!  Mind blowing it is.  How the fuck did (at least some of) America get this way?
     Obviously we live in one of the screwed up time-lines..  ;) Damn Hadron Collider malfunction again... 

• Options
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I find it a little disingenuous to ask the average person to chill out at Costco when Wall Street has sold off 40% of their retirement savings in just three weeks time. If I decide not to go to Denver now, it will be because I need to save my money. Jesus.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.