Bill Simmons Podcast

Comments

• SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,011
    Soooo it seems like it has been confirmed, but i'll break it down for you guys. 

Before music is released on its schedualed release date, an artist and their producers and every writer on a song have to go through the process of registering their music so that credits can be established and royalties can be payed. This is done through a P.R.O. (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, etc.) 

These days, its as easy as entering that information into a site that provides these services (Tune Core, Distrokid, etc etc) When you sign up with these sites, you must put in all of the information regarding that single/album. The earlier you do this in relation to the projects schedualed release date, the easier it is for these website's to sell the information for your song to playlists on Spotify/Tidal/Apple Music etc, essentially allowing even the most unknown artists to potentially get some exposer. My point in saying this, however, is that Pearl Jam are a well oiled machine. The information for "Gigaton" was put in way in advance. 

Sites that scan for music, the most notable one being Shazam, buy up that information as well so that their databases can familiarize themselves with the credits. That way, when you scan a song, the artist, song title, and album come up, but if you scroll down past the cover, you will also see the credits and sometimes even the lyrics if the artist chooses to include them. 

This same thing just happened with Travis Scott. Kylie Jenner posted a video a couple of hours ago with a snippet of a new Travis song. People were able to shazam it, find out the name of it and who is featured on it, before it was rectified. 

I have no reason to believe this is fake. 

It sounds like this is some sort of intro or outro though. Almost like at some point, the filter is going to come off and we are going to kick into something more rocking. For those saying those aren't Matts drums, the kick is the only thing thats live, everything else is a pad. So, technically they are nobodys drums because they are a computer. Perfect snippet to leak from a marketing perspective. 
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 652
    We got 10 albums of ‘rock’, some of which can’t be topped. Plus last 3 or 4 albums are a little paint by numbers, overdue to push some boundaries. Of course, it’s fine if these 10 seconds scare you. I would have felt the same way at a different time.
  • It's not necessarily 100% experimental either. We might just be hearing the most experimental portion. 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    I tend to like some of the weird stuff. Hummus, Aye Davanita, Pry, To. Master/Slave. 

I really like You Are.

This new song sounds a bit like You Are mixed with Inside Job....but I just imagine that we will hear some guitar. This was a snippet to make you go "wtf".

They would not give you a snippet of STBC, Hail Hail, MYM, WWS at this stage. 

I like their tactic here and looking forward to see where this song goes.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Also, i have a feeling this WILL be one of the rockers.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    Anyone talking about whether Simmons is a PJ fan or not is missing the point. Pearl Jam has been a sponsor of his podcast for several years and pays Simmons to use Corduroy and YL every episode. It was originally a one year deal but was extended indefinitely. 

And yes, this is the new single. 
  • The bass line kinda sounds like the buzzcocks why can’t I touch it
  • We got 10 albums of ‘rock’, some of which can’t be topped. Plus last 3 or 4 albums are a little paint by numbers, overdue to push some boundaries. Of course, it’s fine if these 10 seconds scare you. I would have felt the same way at a different time.
    Agree with every word of this. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,948
    edited January 2020
    Taft said:
    Anyone talking about whether Simmons is a PJ fan or not is missing the point. Pearl Jam has been a sponsor of his podcast for several years and pays Simmons to use Corduroy and YL every episode. It was originally a one year deal but was extended indefinitely. 

And yes, this is the new single. 
    BTW... Spotify is buying Simmons’ podcasts and the Ringer.  He’s about to cash in. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    with some of the reactions to this small clip, the secondary ticket market could be flooded with good options...

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    edited January 2020
    PB11041 said:
    with some of the reactions to this small clip, the secondary ticket market could be flooded with good options...

At best you will se toilet waiting lines starting to reach Evenflow levels.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    PB11041 said:

I jest, but it reminds me of the dumb reactions back in the day to some of the Binaural and Riot Act material.  

PB11041 said:

Also it was a great catch by you yesterday to drop the Simmons into Shazam.  

• It's the first new music we've heard in 6+ years (aside from CDM) and it's a 10 second snippet. Let's not start a boycott just yet.  It definitely has my interest piqued. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing.  

It's the first new music we've heard in 6+ years (aside from CDM) and it's a 10 second snippet. Let's not start a boycott just yet.  It definitely has my interest piqued. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing.  

I like weird Jam, so I am down with it getting dark, moody, wavy - the more the better.  

• PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

I jest, but it reminds me of the dumb reactions back in the day to some of the Binaural and Riot Act material.  
    And I used the wrong word "At best" should be "At worst". But I guess at best in the sense the pit will be less cramped.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

Also it was a great catch by you yesterday to drop the Simmons into Shazam.  
    It was someone on facebook. Not me. I just downloaded Shazam and double checked it. 
  • PB11041 said:
    It's the first new music we've heard in 6+ years (aside from CDM) and it's a 10 second snippet. Let's not start a boycott just yet.  It definitely has my interest piqued. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing.  

I like weird Jam, so I am down with it getting dark, moody, wavy - the more the better.  
    Absolutely. I agree with others that think this probably has Matt and/or Jeff's fingerprints all over it.  
  • LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Nobody admits it now, but a lot of folks didn’t like Radiohead’s Kid A when it came out, because it wasn’t OK Computer pt 2.  Now it’s widely considered their best ever, and one of the best albums ever, period. Sometimes risks pay off.  

Also, this clip could just be very misleading. 
  • If this is it, I’m very intrigued and excited.

Remember when we heard a clip of Amongst the waves and people were saying how amazing it was and compared to in hiding? 
    I like amongst the waves but hasn’t necessarily held up well, so samples can be misleading  
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,531
    Lostpawn said:
    Nobody admits it now, but a lot of folks didn’t like Radiohead’s Kid A when it came out, because it wasn’t OK Computer pt 2.  Now it’s widely considered their best ever, and one of the best albums ever, period. Sometimes risks pay off.  

Great point! I'll admit that I felt that way about Kid A....to be completely honest, I felt that way about OK Computer when it first dropped too (because it wasn't along the lines of The Bends). Even more shocking, I felt the same way about Yield and No Code (because I was an angsty 15 year old who thought they were "too mellow").

Of course, with time, all 4 became included among of my favourite records. When I look back, there are a ton of albums where upon first listen, I went "meh" and tossed it aside for a week or more before listening to it again (before eventually becoming smitten with them). Conversely, there are lots of examples where I initially liked an album, only to later find it insignificant. 

Anyways, suffice to say that I'm excited for a change of pace and can't wait for the new album!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • I tried to Shazam it, came back unknown
    Raise the volume.
    That worked

So when I use Shazam I don't get the album name -- just song.  Can you use this for Can't Deny Me to see if it reads it's from Gigaton -- just curious.  
    If you use SoundHound, it doesn’t recognize the song or album, and doesn’t suggest it’s PJ. Shazam sources the YouTube clip in order to ID the clip. Not convinced yet that this is PJ
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Lostpawn said:

I was going to write a reply about how I still don’t like Kid A and how anyway PJ ain’t making Kid A at this point, but we’re doing POSITIVE VIBES ONLY today so instead I’m throwing Kid A onto the Sonos and getting on its wavelength. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    edited January 2020
    If you use SoundHound, it doesn’t recognize the song or album, and doesn’t suggest it’s PJ. Shazam sources the YouTube clip in order to ID the clip. Not convinced yet that this is PJ
    The hosts of this podcast are a DC radio station DJ and a Sony rep. Sounds legit. The additional info adds legitimacy.

• HoosiersHoosiers Posts: 189
    Without starting a pissing match... don't you guys recall how different No Code was at the time? I'm from a small town in Indiana and I recall the local alternative station playing Who You Are for the very first time (which was a big deal). Immediately after my buddy and I listened to it, we looked at each and said "what was that?" Then, for me at least, it grew and grew and grew.

As of right now, I still think No Code is PJ's perfect album. So many influences, so many different-sounding songs...and, obviously, nothing like anything that came before it. And Who You Are is AMAZING.

I'm beyond ready for a new sound again...take a chance like Radiohead, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, even The Beatles...they don't have to sound like "old Pearl Jam" to be good.

This snippet gets me SO MUCH MORE excited for the new album because it does sound different.
    Hope I have enough room at the shows to pop n lock

i dig it, but who the hell knows how the rest of it is
  • edited January 2020
    The hosts of this podcast are a DC radio station DJ and a Sony rep. Sounds legit. The additional info adds legitimacy.

I just went from six to midnight....

“Dance” sounds like something off the last Strokes EP. 

Post edited by Dr.Teeth and the Electric Mayh on
    looking to hear of the earth
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    So excited for this LP
  • If you use SoundHound, it doesn’t recognize the song or album, and doesn’t suggest it’s PJ. Shazam sources the YouTube clip in order to ID the clip. Not convinced yet that this is PJ

Sounds great. I’m intrigued as to how this will sound in its complete form. I like that they’re pushing the boundaries. Thanks for the link
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    tdawe said:
    Lostpawn said:

I was going to write a reply about how I still don’t like Kid A and how anyway PJ ain’t making Kid A at this point, but we’re doing POSITIVE VIBES ONLY today so instead I’m throwing Kid A onto the Sonos and getting on its wavelength. 
    I didn’t “get” Ok Computer or Kid A and sold both CDs on eBay. :i_dunno:
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22