Options

Oakland Roll Call 2020

Comments

• Options
    KC2917 said:
    BH76306 said:
    rummy said:
    I’ll be there with the wife.  Staying in sf.  Have a ton of old haunts I need to visit so we’ll be exploring sf and Sausalito all weekend.  Very excited, my wife has never been, can’t wait to eat all that good food
    Are you going to ride the BART to the show? Do they have extended hours for events like this? I guess I get concerned that it shuts down at around midnight. The last thing I want is to get stuck with having to take a cab from Oakland to SF...that won't be cheap!
    Yeah dude definitely going to ride the bart back over- checked with my friends out there and others can confirm but they all said last train over to San Fran is midnight.  I’m going to confirm it on their website (especially for Sunday) but we should have no problems according to them.
    BART is really good about large events and adding/extending trains to accommodate. Grabbing BART after the show won't be an issue.
    They stopped running before the end of the show last time PJ played in Oakland. 
    I road BART home in 2013 with no problem. I would bust my butt there right after the show is over though. Plan on doing it again this time around.
  • Options
    Saturday record store day We’re gonna start the early aftenoon on telegraph in Berkeley (both amoeba and rasputin there) they head up telegraph towards Oakland with a stop at Temescal Brewing for a beer, then depending if i have seats or not dinner at Drakes dealership, then show!

sunday well be at the coliseum all day tailgating, As game then show.  Hope to meet some of you!  
    Berkeley has a Sierra Nevada taproom these days if you’re into good beer!
  • Options
    whatdude said:
    If u wanna be near Bart and bars/breweries i would suggest downtown Oakland. I don’t have specific hotels in mind but when looking on say hotels.com check for landmarks like fox theater. There’s bars, breweries and Bart station.  

If you go to wineries you will have to drive/rent a car.  My favorites are in Sonoma.

i did Alcatraz once years ago and enjoyed it. If you’re in to history stuff then yes it’s worth it. It will take up like half a day. 

If you wanna see some amazing views and beauty take a hike, lands end or Tilden park. For me the perfect day is hitting up a good brunch spot, hike, then some breweries and dinner.  
    awesome...thank you!
    If you do Alcatraz, buy tix in advance. It sells out. 

Thanks...like how far out should we buy?
    Never done Alcatraz but Coit Tower gives you an amazing view of the City. If you’re into baseball and never been there maybe tour the SF Giants ballpark it is beautiful!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,960
    whatdude said:
    If u wanna be near Bart and bars/breweries i would suggest downtown Oakland. I don’t have specific hotels in mind but when looking on say hotels.com check for landmarks like fox theater. There’s bars, breweries and Bart station.  

If you go to wineries you will have to drive/rent a car.  My favorites are in Sonoma.

i did Alcatraz once years ago and enjoyed it. If you’re in to history stuff then yes it’s worth it. It will take up like half a day. 

If you wanna see some amazing views and beauty take a hike, lands end or Tilden park. For me the perfect day is hitting up a good brunch spot, hike, then some breweries and dinner.  
    awesome...thank you!
    If you do Alcatraz, buy tix in advance. It sells out. 

Thanks...like how far out should we buy?
    Never done Alcatraz but Coit Tower gives you an amazing view of the City. If you’re into baseball and never been there maybe tour the SF Giants ballpark it is beautiful!
    thanks...looks pretty cool
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    ML70530 said:
    First time seeing PJ in California after 30 shows (flying in from Seattle). Won Night 2 Oakland on initial Friday draw. Then waited (more like painfully agonized) until 2pm today/Wednesday and finally won Night 1 (reserved 210xxx).

Curious to know how the crowd energy has been for Pearl Jam - Bay Area shows?  

Last 20 years, looks like they've played Oracle 2013, Outside Lands 2009, Bill Graham 2006, Mountain View 2003, and Mountain View 2000 (non Bridge School's)

I went to the Sacramento 2000 show the day before the Mountain View 2000 show and the crowd was maybe a little down, but it was FREEZING!!  They started the show with Whipping and Ed said, "Cold enough for ya?  Let's warm it up!!"  Still really fun show.  Bummer they haven't played Sacramento since then even with the new arena.

Mountain View 2003 Ed actually mentioned that it seemed like a down crowd and blamed it on it being a Sunday night.  

The first Bill Graham 2006 show might be my favorite concert of any band I've ever been to.  The crowd was great and they opened with Of the Girl into Go which blew the roof off the place.  The other Bill Graham shows were good crowds, not over the top but definitely into it.  

Oakland 2013 might be the best crowd of a PJ show I've been to.  It was one of those shows where the band is really into and feeding off the crowd and I'm pretty sure they played longer because everything was clicking.  Ed forgot the words to State of Love and Trust and the crowd got him back on track!  

So it seems like the crowds are getting better, maybe because their are fewer shows.  Hoping these Oakland shows will be fantastic! 

(By the way my 10 Club number is not far behind yours so cheers!!)  My boss got tickets today in the verified fan sale and told me the whole lower level from the stage to where it turns was blocked out.  He got tickets right at the turn which I thought was good.  That's where I saw the first Bill Graham show.  My tickets in Oakland 2013 were in the lower level on Mike's side I think the first section from the stage maybe 10 rows up?  I was very pleased with them.  Hopefully they'll be even closer this time!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers said:
    ML70530 said:
    First time seeing PJ in California after 30 shows (flying in from Seattle). Won Night 2 Oakland on initial Friday draw. Then waited (more like painfully agonized) until 2pm today/Wednesday and finally won Night 1 (reserved 210xxx).

Last 20 years, looks like they've played Oracle 2013, Outside Lands 2009, Bill Graham 2006, Mountain View 2003, and Mountain View 2000 (non Bridge School's)

I went to the Sacramento 2000 show the day before the Mountain View 2000 show and the crowd was maybe a little down, but it was FREEZING!!  They started the show with Whipping and Ed said, "Cold enough for ya?  Let's warm it up!!"  Still really fun show.  Bummer they haven't played Sacramento since then even with the new arena.

Mountain View 2003 Ed actually mentioned that it seemed like a down crowd and blamed it on it being a Sunday night.  

The first Bill Graham 2006 show might be my favorite concert of any band I've ever been to.  The crowd was great and they opened with Of the Girl into Go which blew the roof off the place.  The other Bill Graham shows were good crowds, not over the top but definitely into it.  

Oakland 2013 might be the best crowd of a PJ show I've been to.  It was one of those shows where the band is really into and feeding off the crowd and I'm pretty sure they played longer because everything was clicking.  Ed forgot the words to State of Love and Trust and the crowd got him back on track!  

So it seems like the crowds are getting better, maybe because their are fewer shows.  Hoping these Oakland shows will be fantastic! 

(By the way my 10 Club number is not far behind yours so cheers!!)  My boss got tickets today in the verified fan sale and told me the whole lower level from the stage to where it turns was blocked out.  He got tickets right at the turn which I thought was good.  That's where I saw the first Bill Graham show.  My tickets in Oakland 2013 were in the lower level on Mike's side I think the first section from the stage maybe 10 rows up?  I was very pleased with them.  Hopefully they'll be even closer this time!
    I like the idea that Oakland will be the last two shows on the first leg.  Night 2 will likely be really special

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Saturday record store day We’re gonna start the early aftenoon on telegraph in Berkeley (both amoeba and rasputin there) they head up telegraph towards Oakland with a stop at Temescal Brewing for a beer, then depending if i have seats or not dinner at Drakes dealership, then show!

sunday well be at the coliseum all day tailgating, As game then show.  Hope to meet some of you!  
    Berkeley has a Sierra Nevada taproom these days if you’re into good beer!
    I do like good beer, how could you tell 😂😂
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    rrivers said:
    ML70530 said:

I like the idea that Oakland will be the last two shows on the first leg.  Night 2 will likely be really special
    Yes, i May cry 😭. I’m so excited, 2 nights in Oakland...seriously a dream come true for me. I missed so many of their shows, local ones, because i was in college, then marriage kids and we were pretty broke and busy! Now my kids are older, and I’m so grateful that now we have the means to buy tickets, I’m making up for lost time and just over the moon i get to see them back to back in Oakland ❤️❤️❤️
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 341
    "Night 2 will likely be really special."
    Yup. If I had to choose one, I'd choose N2. Glad I can go to both though!
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• Options
    snowrider_04snowrider_04 Berkeley, CA Posts: 90
    Ticketmaster Public Sale 4/18 - Sec 123 Row 27
    TenClub tickets 4/19 - GA 
    Can't wait!!!
    Live & Loud: A list of every concert I've been to.
    Vintage Four Wheels: If you like vintage cars.

2022: Oakland 1, Oakland 2 • 2018: Seattle 1 • 2014: Mountain View (BSB) • 2013: Philadelphia 1, Philadelphia 2, Oakland • 2011: Oakland 1 (EV), Oakland 2 (EV) • 2009: San Francisco (Outside Lands) • 2008: Berkeley (EV) • 2006: San Francisco 1, San Francisco 2 Mountain View (BSB) •  2000: Mountain View • 1999: Mountain View (BSB) • 1992: Stanhope (Lollapalooza)
  • Options
    rrivers said:
    ML70530 said:

Yes, i May cry 😭. I’m so excited, 2 nights in Oakland...seriously a dream come true for me. I missed so many of their shows, local ones, because i was in college, then marriage kids and we were pretty broke and busy! Now my kids are older, and I’m so grateful that now we have the means to buy tickets, I’m making up for lost time and just over the moon i get to see them back to back in Oakland ❤️❤️❤️
    Same here....I'm coming from Indianapolis.  I'm a CPA so tax season prevents me from seeing them prior to April 16

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,149
    Night 1:  Section 230 (side stage) row 10
    Night 2:  GA

Driving down, flying back.  Gonna be a long drive from Victoria :)
  • Options
    Ticketmaster Public Sale 4/18 - Sec 123 Row 27
    TenClub tickets 4/19 - GA 
    Can't wait!!!
    not bad....behind the stage night 1 but primo for night 2!

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,430
    rrivers said:
    ML70530 said:

Same here....I'm coming from Indianapolis.  I'm a CPA so tax season prevents me from seeing them prior to April 16
    I too am a CPA.....gonna have to cram all of my last-minute stuff into 4/14 and the morning of 4/15 in order to get to the 4/15 show!
  • Options
    DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 238
    They just started selling behind the stage for N2.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,890
    rrivers said:
    ML70530 said:

I am VERY thankful it isn't at Shoreline in Mountain View. Hate the venue, especially when trying to park and leave. I do wish that there was a date in Sacramento, since I'm now a bit closer. Oakland Arena is a great place to see a show. Recently saw Maiden there and it kicked ass.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,149
    Any recommendations on affordable hotels?  I saw someone post about the embassy suites in walnut creak, but it's a 50 minute ride on the BART?   Was wondering if there was anything decent that was closer?
  • Options
    DoDaFoo said:
    They just started selling behind the stage for N2.
    Interesting that they weren't at first...would have been odd to have the whole arena filled Saturday (assuming they eventually sell those ones that are still available in the 200s behind the stage) but all those sections empty on Sunday, which is what it was looking like when the public sale started. Though I see it's only the 100s that have opened up for Sunday thus far, not the 200s...
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    rrivers said:
    ML70530 said:

I too am a CPA.....gonna have to cram all of my last-minute stuff into 4/14 and the morning of 4/15 in order to get to the 4/15 show!
    nice!  That's a great way to wrap up the 15th

• Options
    WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 208
    edited January 2020

I am VERY thankful it isn't at Shoreline in Mountain View. Hate the venue, especially when trying to park and leave. I do wish that there was a date in Sacramento, since I'm now a bit closer. Oakland Arena is a great place to see a show. Recently saw Maiden thlexicondevil said:

I fully agree...not just because I live in the East Bay, but Shoreline is just such a pain in the ass. We're just lucky it's in April, I don't think they start having shows at Shoreline until May because of potential bad weather. Though they did headline there on Halloween in 2000 when it was pretty damn cold, the day after that even colder Sacramento show. Obviously BSB shows had to be there, and during the fall when it was cold, but in general most Shoreline shows are late spring - summer - early fall (such as the 2003 show in June). 

(I used to like outdoor shows because I smoked, but I quit a few years ago so indoors is fine with me now!)
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687

I fully agree...not just because I live in the East Bay, but Shoreline is just such a pain in the ass. We're just lucky it's in April, I don't think they start having shows at Shoreline until May because of potential bad weather. Though they did headline there on Halloween in 2000 when it was pretty damn cold, the day after that even colder Sacramento show. Obviously BSB shows had to be there, and during the fall when it was cold, but in general most Shoreline shows are late spring - summer - early fall (such as the 2003 show in June). 

(I used to like outdoor shows because I smoked, but I quit a few years ago so indoors is fine with me now!)

I am VERY thankful it isn't at Shoreline in Mountain View. Hate the venue, especially when trying to park and leave. I do wish that there was a date in Sacramento, since I'm now a bit closer. Oakland Arena is a great place to see a show. Recently saw Maiden there and it kicked ass.
    Yeah I'm glad it's not at Shoreline too.  I enjoy the venue once I'm there, but it takes forever to get there.  My wife and I saw Zac Brown Band there in September.  Fun once we got there after hours in the car.

I agree Oakland is a good venue.  I saw Springsteen and U2 there from behind the stage and it was still a lot of fun.  Springsteen came back and sang "Living in the Future" to my section and was very impressed I knew the words of a then new song.

I saw Maiden there too in the summer of 2017 I think.  Great show!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450
    I think Bay Area people like to see Pearl Jam!- 2013 was a pretty good show-and I think people were anxious for their return then and will be this time too. 
  • Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450
    I get excited for people to get to see Pearl Jam for their first time and for those to get to return to seeing them after an absence - good times!  
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 341
    It's gonna rock. Lots of 10 Club folks and those who were on top of the VF sale in the building. 2 nights will be epic!
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• Options
    The 2013 show was epic. I think it’s going to be crazier this time with the back to back shows, new album and final US show for this stretch of the tour. 
    People are posting great recommendations for places to go in SF. I’ll second Smuggler’s Cove is an absolute must if you like tiki cocktails. It’s small though so can be tough to get in at peak hours. The Tonga room is the old school huge tiki bar in SF which has a great happy hour. For beer I’d hit up Fort Point at the ferry building. Great beer with hot dogs and pretzels.
     If you’re into arcades you should hit up Coin Op in SF. 2 story with all sorts of retro games and new. Great cocktails and a killer daily happy hour. Free play games on Sunday.
    A sleeper spot to hit before the show closer to the venue is downtown Alameda. Cheap brewery options with many restaurants and bars. Coolest place to hangout by far before anything near the coliseum. Awesome whiskey bar with good food too. 10 min Uber from the event. A bit sketchy to walk from the Bart there though I’d Uber from there into downtown Alameda.
    Hope everyone stays safe and has fun. Hope to possibly meet up for a pre party. Cheers.
  • Options
    chaspjchaspj Portlandia Posts: 56
    Flying down from Portland for both shows. Thanks all for the recommendations and tips. Maybe we get a Record Store Day appearance and/or a McCready anthem at an M's/A's game?!?

If you're curious about your view, here are a couple of sites with seat views from Oracle:

https://www.rateyourseats.com/sections/oracle-arena-concert/118

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/venue/Oakland+Arena/sections/

"Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable"

Portland 2000
    Portland 2013
    Seattle I and II 2018
    Oakland I and II 2020 2022
    Nashvegas 2022
  • Options
    deweildeweil Posts: 245
    I'm in - staying with brother in Oakland :)
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    rummy said:
    I’ll be there with the wife.  Staying in sf.  Have a ton of old haunts I need to visit so we’ll be exploring sf and Sausalito all weekend.  Very excited, my wife has never been, can’t wait to eat all that good food
    Are you going to ride the BART to the show? Do they have extended hours for events like this? I guess I get concerned that it shuts down at around midnight. The last thing I want is to get stuck with having to take a cab from Oakland to SF...that won't be cheap!
    Actually, taking an Uber from Oakland Arena back to SF won't be as expensive as you might think. If you go UberX, you could probably get a fare for $50-60. I know, as I've done it many times and it's totally worth it. And for those who are staying at the Raddison Hotel near the arena, you may want to rethink that move, especially if you're bringing your spouse. Not the safest area and definitely nothing to explore around there. 
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Actually, taking an Uber from Oakland Arena back to SF won't be as expensive as you might think. If you go UberX, you could probably get a fare for $50-60. I know, as I've done it many times and it's totally worth it. And for those who are staying at the Raddison Hotel near the arena, you may want to rethink that move, especially if you're bringing your spouse. Not the safest area and definitely nothing to explore around there. 
    Not safe even if walking with a group? 

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Hey can someone familiar with the area nowadays give me a dispensary near embarcadero I can go to while I’m there?  It honestly can be anywhere in sf actually.  Thanks!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.