Options

Oakland Roll Call 2020

Comments

• Options
    Got in to both nights!!! Picked Best available, hoping I lucked out and got into the pit for at least one of the two but even if I got seats for both nights that's OK too, just happy to be in the building. Can't wait!!!
    Stunned by my own reflection, it's looking back sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again. Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Got in to both nights!!! Picked Best available, hoping I lucked out and got into the pit for at least one of the two but even if I got seats for both nights that's OK too, just happy to be in the building. Can't wait!!!
    when did you get your notice for night 2?  I assume night 1 was your 1st priority?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    when did you get your notice for night 2?  I assume night 1 was your 1st priority?
    Around 2:30 yesterday afternoon (Pacific time) The emails came about a minute apart.
    Stunned by my own reflection, it's looking back sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again. Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down.
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for my Oakland 2 email...I got confirmation for Oak 1, and my credit card has been hit twice for 240 (or whatever) so I think I should have both nights (especially since I went BA), but I'd sure feel better if I had that second email...has anyone gotten any Oakland emails, yay or nay, today (Saturday)?
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I'm still waiting for my Oakland 2 email...I got confirmation for Oak 1, and my credit card has been hit twice for 240 (or whatever) so I think I should have both nights (especially since I went BA), but I'd sure feel better if I had that second email...has anyone gotten any Oakland emails, yay or nay, today (Saturday)?
    Nope.  I’m sure we’ll get them tomorrow night around 10pm
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    BobertBobert Posts: 15
    Lucked out and got tix for both Oakland shows. Very excited. Local from the East Bay, will be taking BART to both shows.
  • Options
    Planning to take my 12-year-old nephew to his first PJ show night 1.  I'm hoping he'll remember it long after I'm gone.
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    Same 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Super good comments on taking BART to show and all the lil sleepy suburbs in East Bay have hotels right around BART station - Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek ... just $$$. There’s a pedestrian sky bridge from BART right into the Oakland Colesium/Arena complex. The Creek actually has some sweet microbrew pubs... but then those are everywhere in The Bay! Napa Valley wineries can be a bit snooty but easier to get around, Russian River wineries are very chill! Just longer drives. 
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    JM18725JM18725 Posts: 46
    Ok, confirmed for both nights. Thought I’d have to roll the dice through verified presale until I finally received Oakland night 1 confirmation tonight. Totally pumped to see them back at the Arena since their 2013 show. 

already in love
  • Options
    acutejam said:
    Super good comments on taking BART to show and all the lil sleepy suburbs in East Bay have hotels right around BART station - Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek ... just $$$. There’s a pedestrian sky bridge from BART right into the Oakland Colesium/Arena complex. The Creek actually has some sweet microbrew pubs... but then those are everywhere in The Bay! Napa Valley wineries can be a bit snooty but easier to get around, Russian River wineries are very chill! Just longer drives. 
    BART is super easy to take to the arena.  I did have to laugh about "The Creek."  I've lived in northern California all my life.  Attended college at Sonoma State and went to Walnut Creek frequently to visit my roommates folks.  I love the branding of "The Creek" to make Walnut Creek sound cool.  No disrespect.  It just took me back and made me laugh a bit.  I'll be at both nights of Oakland and VERY much looking forward to it.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    biosfearbiosfear Melbourne, Australia Posts: 19
    I just received confirmation that I've got N1 as well - 3 days after getting an N2 ticket. I'm flying in from Australia and thinking of staying in SF and taking the BART to the arena - see you folks there.
  • Options
    So...we are thinking about staying a few extra days (Mon/Tues/Wed) to visit SF and some wineries.  I have seen some hotels mentioned near BART stations and would like some suggestions on where to stay that would be close to a station and walking distance to bars/breweries, etc.

Would those be in downtown Oakland?  Thanks in advance.

Also...aside from walking/browsing SF, we were thinking about visiting Alcatraz.  Good idea? or not worth it?

• Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    If u wanna be near Bart and bars/breweries i would suggest downtown Oakland. I don’t have specific hotels in mind but when looking on say hotels.com check for landmarks like fox theater. There’s bars, breweries and Bart station.  

If you go to wineries you will have to drive/rent a car.  My favorites are in Sonoma.

i did Alcatraz once years ago and enjoyed it. If you’re in to history stuff then yes it’s worth it. It will take up like half a day. 

If you wanna see some amazing views and beauty take a hike, lands end or Tilden park. For me the perfect day is hitting up a good brunch spot, hike, then some breweries and dinner.  
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    If u wanna be near Bart and bars/breweries i would suggest downtown Oakland. I don’t have specific hotels in mind but when looking on say hotels.com check for landmarks like fox theater. There’s bars, breweries and Bart station.  

If you go to wineries you will have to drive/rent a car.  My favorites are in Sonoma.

i did Alcatraz once years ago and enjoyed it. If you’re in to history stuff then yes it’s worth it. It will take up like half a day. 

If you wanna see some amazing views and beauty take a hike, lands end or Tilden park. For me the perfect day is hitting up a good brunch spot, hike, then some breweries and dinner.  
    awesome...thank you!

• Options
    whatdudewhatdude Posts: 143
    edited January 2020

awesome...thank you!
    If you do Alcatraz, buy tix in advance. It sells out. 

10/30/93 SJ, 6/24/95 SF Polo Fields, 7/15/06 SF, 12/2/06 Hawai'i, 6/24/08 MSG1, 6/25/08 MSG2, 8/28/09 OutsideLands SF, 10/9/09 SD, 10/23/10 Bridge I, 9/25/11 Vancouver, 9/30/12 Missoula, 10/3/12 Oracle Openworld, 7/19/13 Wrigley Field, 11/26/13 Oakland, 10/22/14 Denver, 10/25/14 Bridge I, 5/1/16 MSG1, 5/2/16 MSG2, 8/5/16 Fenway 1, 8/7/16 Fenway 2, 8/20/16 Wrigley Field 1, 8/22/16 Wrigley Field 2, 8/8/18 Seattle 1, 8/10/18 Seattle 2, 8/13/18 Missoula, 9/2/18 Fenway 1, 9/4/18 Fenway 2 
  • Options
    whatdude said:

awesome...thank you!
    If you do Alcatraz, buy tix in advance. It sells out. 

Thanks...like how far out should we buy?

• Options
    I would look to book now for Alcatraz and highly recommend the night tour as they tend to open up a few more things. Was very cool when I did it 5 years ago. Obviously night only works if you are remaining or early a few days. 
    That is actually what she said
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,892
    So...we are thinking about staying a few extra days (Mon/Tues/Wed) to visit SF and some wineries.  I have seen some hotels mentioned near BART stations and would like some suggestions on where to stay that would be close to a station and walking distance to bars/breweries, etc.

Also...aside from walking/browsing SF, we were thinking about visiting Alcatraz.  Good idea? or not worth it?
    Jack London Waterfront is walkable to a bunch of stuff(I already mentioned this in a previous post) and an easy bus or Lyft ride to more downtown/uptown places.
    Been to Alcatraz once and that was enough for me. It was okay, but not how I'd choose to spend my time in the Bay. Are you renting a car?
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Shows how long it’s been since i did Alcatraz, i just walked up and bought tix that day 😂. It they were less than $30 each, no idea how much they are now. 

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options

Jack London Waterfront is walkable to a bunch of stuff(I already mentioned this in a previous post) and an easy bus or Lyft ride to more downtown/uptown places.
    Been to Alcatraz once and that was enough for me. It was okay, but not how I'd choose to spend my time in the Bay. Are you renting a car?
    Yes we will rent one...planning on driving up to Sonoma/Napa wineries one of the days

I'll check out the Waterfront...thanks!

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,892
    If you have a car, there is also the option to go south. Big Sur is a beautiful drive along the coast. The Monterrey Bay Aquarium is also very cool. Also, you mentioned 420, so I'd recommend going to a dispensary called Harborside in Oakland, though it's more towards Alameda. Beautiful and very professional shop with friendly staff. A place called Quinn's Lighthouse is across the street from there for beers. The food there is just okay, but the upstairs bar has sawdust on the floor and nice views. I will say again, for any beer lovers, a trip to Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa to drink Pliny the Elder should be a priority. The pizza is really good there. Haven't been to the new Windsor location, but they don't have pizza on the menu. If going on the weekend there may be a line to get in. Now, I'm thirsty.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    If you have a car, there is also the option to go south. Big Sur is a beautiful drive along the coast. The Monterrey Bay Aquarium is also very cool. Also, you mentioned 420, so I'd recommend going to a dispensary called Harborside in Oakland, though it's more towards Alameda. Beautiful and very professional shop with friendly staff. A place called Quinn's Lighthouse is across the street from there for beers. The food there is just okay, but the upstairs bar has sawdust on the floor and nice views. I will say again, for any beer lovers, a trip to Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa to drink Pliny the Elder should be a priority. The pizza is really good there. Haven't been to the new Windsor location, but they don't have pizza on the menu. If going on the weekend there may be a line to get in. Now, I'm thirsty.
    good stuff...thanks!

• Options
    apkirklandapkirkland Big Sky Country Posts: 194
    Husband and I are booked at the Grove Inn in Hayes Valley (or is it Western Addition? So may SF neighborhoods!) Coming from Montana where we're completely sheltered so we're a little apprehensive of ending up walking through the wrong spots at night after the shows (ie Tenderloin). We plan on taking BART to and from the arena but read that the Civic Center stop, which would be the closest to where we're staying, isn't great at night. Any reason we should either re-book somewhere else (Union Sq. or another more touristy spot) or get off at Embarcadero or Montgomery station and Uber back to Grove Inn? The neighborhood looks okay there and it's a fair amount cheaper than staying near Union Sq. but I've never spent much time in SF so I'm just going off of things I've read online. Looking to spend a couple days being tourists before the Oakland shows. Super psyched!
  • Options
    Husband and I are booked at the Grove Inn in Hayes Valley (or is it Western Addition? So may SF neighborhoods!) Coming from Montana where we're completely sheltered so we're a little apprehensive of ending up walking through the wrong spots at night after the shows (ie Tenderloin). We plan on taking BART to and from the arena but read that the Civic Center stop, which would be the closest to where we're staying, isn't great at night. Any reason we should either re-book somewhere else (Union Sq. or another more touristy spot) or get off at Embarcadero or Montgomery station and Uber back to Grove Inn? The neighborhood looks okay there and it's a fair amount cheaper than staying near Union Sq. but I've never spent much time in SF so I'm just going off of things I've read online. Looking to spend a couple days being tourists before the Oakland shows. Super psyched!
    Just looked it up, great area where you’re staying!  Right near the painted ladies and Alamo square park. Not near Bart. If i were you’d I’d Uber to and from Bart civic center. 

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    You’ll be fine.  I was looking at that hotel too, decided against it not because the area is bad but because I wanted something closer to the Bart so I picked one near embarcadero.  You’re fine though, that area is nice where you’re at.  Don’t forget that union square is at the edge of the tenderloin and where do you think all the homeless peeps in that area of town hang out all day? Yep, union square.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    apkirklandapkirkland Big Sky Country Posts: 194
    edited January 2020
    Just looked it up, great area where you’re staying!  Right near the painted ladies and Alamo square park. Not near Bart. If i were you’d I’d Uber to and from Bart civic center. 
    You’ll be fine.  I was looking at that hotel too, decided against it not because the area is bad but because I wanted something closer to the Bart so I picked one near embarcadero.  You’re fine though, that area is nice where you’re at.  Don’t forget that union square is at the edge of the tenderloin and where do you think all the homeless peeps in that area of town hang out all day? Yep, union square.
    Sweet, thanks for giving me a little peace of mind. Gonna stick with the Grove Inn and just Uber to/from Civic Center station. Looks like a pretty good spot and close to Haight-Ashbury which I've wanted to see since I was a kid. My folks were hippies in SF back in the 60's  ;)

Don't get me wrong, we spend lots of time in Seattle and are accustomed to being around homelessness. I just read some stats about rougher areas at night and didn't want to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time (like we've done in New Orleans!)

Again, really appreciate you guys' advice and now extra stoked for our time in the big city! Will quit looking at Tripadvisor hotel reviews and start planning the road trip we're gonna take from SD>LA>SF!
    Post edited by apkirkland on
  • Options
    theboywiltheboywil Seattle Posts: 59
    Yay, got charged for Night 2 a short while ago (after being charged for N1 at the time of the draw), so I decided to now would be a good time to pick up flights from Seattle to Oakland, and it was.

Turns out that as my wife usually books the travel I had been accruing Alaska air miles, (which both of us had completely forgotten about).  So two returns between SEATAC and OAK (on refundable, moveable flights at reasonable times of the day) cost a grand total of $22.40

And I still have some of those newly discovered points in to use in the future...  :-D
    Well we've been a good few hours drinking
    So I'm going to say what everyone's thinking
    If we're stuck on this ship and it's sinking
    Then we might as well have a parade
  • Options
    ML70530ML70530 Seattle Posts: 6
    First time seeing PJ in California after 30 shows (flying in from Seattle). Won Night 2 Oakland on initial Friday draw. Then waited (more like painfully agonized) until 2pm today/Wednesday and finally won Night 1 (reserved 210xxx).

Curious to know how the crowd energy has been for Pearl Jam - Bay Area shows?  

Last 20 years, looks like they've played Oracle 2013, Outside Lands 2009, Bill Graham 2006, Mountain View 2003, and Mountain View 2000 (non Bridge School's)

[X]  Seattle, Washington (July 21, 1998)

[X]  Seattle, Washington (July 22, 1998)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (November 05, 2000)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (November 06, 2000)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (October 22, 2001)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (December 08, 2002)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (December 09, 2002)
    [X]  Vancouver, British Columbia (May 30, 2003)
    [X]  Phoenix, Arizona (June 07, 2003)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (October 22, 2003)
    [X]  George, Washington (September 01, 2005)
    [X]  Vancouver, British Columbia (September 02, 2005)
    [X]  Las Vegas, Nevada (July 06, 2006)
    [X]  George, Washington (July 22, 2006)
    [X]  George, Washington (July 23, 2006)
    [X]  New York, New York (June 24, 2008)
    [X]  New York, New York (June 25, 2008)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (September 21, 2009)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (September 22, 2009)
    [X]  Vancouver, BC (September 25, 2009)
    [X]  Vancouver, British Columbia (September 25, 2011)
    [X]  Spokane, WA (November 30, 2013)
    [X]  Vancouver, BC (December 04, 2013)
    [X]  Seattle, WA (December 06, 2013)
    [X]  Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014)
    [X]  Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    [X]  Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018)
    [X]  Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018)
    [X]  Missoula, MT (August 13, 2018)
    [X]  Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018)

• Options
    Got my Alcatraz tickets...no joke about getting these early.  The tickets for the 20th night tours were already sold out