Options

Oakland Roll Call 2020

Comments

• Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450
    rummy said:
    I’ll be there with the wife.  Staying in sf.  Have a ton of old haunts I need to visit so we’ll be exploring sf and Sausalito all weekend.  Very excited, my wife has never been, can’t wait to eat all that good food
    Are you going to ride the BART to the show? Do they have extended hours for events like this? I guess I get concerned that it shuts down at around midnight. The last thing I want is to get stuck with having to take a cab from Oakland to SF...that won't be cheap!
    Actually, taking an Uber from Oakland Arena back to SF won't be as expensive as you might think. If you go UberX, you could probably get a fare for $50-60. I know, as I've done it many times and it's totally worth it. And for those who are staying at the Raddison Hotel near the arena, you may want to rethink that move, especially if you're bringing your spouse. Not the safest area and definitely nothing to explore around there. 
    ( in 2013 PJ Oakland, my +1 said similar as Red Mosqito's last sentence - concerning the area. )  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    edited January 2020
    NEweather said:
    rummy said:
    I’ll be there with the wife.  Staying in sf.  Have a ton of old haunts I need to visit so we’ll be exploring sf and Sausalito all weekend.  Very excited, my wife has never been, can’t wait to eat all that good food
    Are you going to ride the BART to the show? Do they have extended hours for events like this? I guess I get concerned that it shuts down at around midnight. The last thing I want is to get stuck with having to take a cab from Oakland to SF...that won't be cheap!
    Actually, taking an Uber from Oakland Arena back to SF won't be as expensive as you might think. If you go UberX, you could probably get a fare for $50-60. I know, as I've done it many times and it's totally worth it. And for those who are staying at the Raddison Hotel near the arena, you may want to rethink that move, especially if you're bringing your spouse. Not the safest area and definitely nothing to explore around there. 
    ( in 2013 PJ Oakland, my +1 said similar as Red Mosqito's last sentence - concerning the area. )  
    Yeah it doesn't look like there is much to do around the hotel itself but it also isn't a far walk to the arena.  I'm curious if the local experts think it is ok to walk in a group to the arena.  I'm guessing there is going to be at least 100 PJ fans staying at those hotels and it's like a 20 minute walk.

The google maps view doesn't look like a bad walk...but I know reality can be different
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Hey can someone familiar with the area nowadays give me a dispensary near embarcadero I can go to while I’m there?  It honestly can be anywhere in sf actually.  Thanks!
    Go to the SOMA Apothecarium as it's not too far from there. The facility is awesome and they have a very friendly & knowledgeable staff as well as a great selection from flower, to oils, edibles, vapes etc. Here's the link to the site:https://apothecarium.com/soma
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Not safe even if walking with a group? 

rummy said:
    Personally, I wouldn't deal with it, even if I was in a group. It's a sketch area, especially at night time. Remember, in 2013 there was that girl who got robbed while camping out in line. But it's your call, I'm just trying to help out by providing a little prospective on the area as I want everyone who is traveling into town to have the best overall experience possible. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Well I'm really looking forward to these Oakland shows, regardless of the whole ticket fiasco. Got 10c seats for Sunday night and third row, center behind the stage tickets during the general public sale. It'll be my first ever behind the stage experience and while I'm slightly worried about the sound, I'm excited to get to see the perspective the band gets to see every night!

My only real concern is I picked up four tickets because I want to bring a few people to their first PJ show, but I'm afraid it may not end up being the best way for them to experience their greatness for the first time. What's everyones thoughts on this? Do I bring along a few first timers or do I take people who are more familiar with the band and have seen them live already?
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    NEweather said:
    rummy said:
    Yeah it doesn't look like there is much to do around the hotel itself but it also isn't a far walk to the arena.  I'm curious if the local experts think it is ok to walk in a group to the arena.  I'm guessing there is going to be at least 100 PJ fans staying at those hotels and it's like a 20 minute walk.

The google maps view doesn't look like a bad walk...but I know reality can be different
    I would say that you should be fine with a group of people. I've never really walked around there, but the area is rough around the edges and not somewhere I would willingly walk by myself or as a couple. It would probably be a short Lyft ride, but I also don't know what it's going to be like that night for ride service. It could be a clusterfuck. I will be finding out since we got a room at the Waterfront for both nights, so we don't have to drive back home to Vallejo. Plus I look forward to hitting up my old spots in Oakland.
    Anyone here ever take ride service to and from the Arena? There's gotta be designated pick-up spots. Parking is hella expensive.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    NEweather said:
    rummy said:

I would say that you should be fine with a group of people. I've never really walked around there, but the area is rough around the edges and not somewhere I would willingly walk by myself or as a couple. It would probably be a short Lyft ride, but I also don't know what it's going to be like that night for ride service. It could be a clusterfuck. I will be finding out since we got a room at the Waterfront for both nights, so we don't have to drive back home to Vallejo. Plus I look forward to hitting up my old spots in Oakland.
    Anyone here ever take ride service to and from the Arena? There's gotta be designated pick-up spots. Parking is hella expensive.
    ( plenty of Pearl Jam afficianados and Ray Donovan as a +1-lol ! ) Just kidding-you'll be fine!
  • Options
    Well I'm really looking forward to these Oakland shows, regardless of the whole ticket fiasco. Got 10c seats for Sunday night and third row, center behind the stage tickets during the general public sale. It'll be my first ever behind the stage experience and while I'm slightly worried about the sound, I'm excited to get to see the perspective the band gets to see every night!

My only real concern is I picked up four tickets because I want to bring a few people to their first PJ show, but I'm afraid it may not end up being the best way for them to experience their greatness for the first time. What's everyones thoughts on this? Do I bring along a few first timers or do I take people who are more familiar with the band and have seen them live already?
    I have seen them at venues with seats behind the stage - they usually (if not always?) turn around for one song and play for the people in those seats. Last Kiss comes to mind. Doesn't answer your Q but gives context (and apologies if you were already aware).

It is obviously not peak PJ (or any band) experience so talk to your peeps and see how they want their own first PJ experience, right?  Cheers!
  • Options

My brother and I will be walking to the arena from the Comfort Inn. The entire area should be bustling enough before and after the shows that I'm not too worried about it. 
  • Options
    rummy said:

rummy said:
    Personally, I wouldn't deal with it, even if I was in a group. It's a sketch area, especially at night time. Remember, in 2013 there was that girl who got robbed while camping out in line. But it's your call, I'm just trying to help out by providing a little prospective on the area as I want everyone who is traveling into town to have the best overall experience possible. 
    much appreciated....It just seems like there will be so many of us walking to and from the arena that we should be relatively safe.  The area kind of reminds me of the United Center in Chicago.  If 20,000 people weren't leaving the area at the same time I would not want to be walking around there but the crowd provides safety.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Any advice on the best stops on the BART?  Probably board in Oakland at 12th/Oak City Center.  

I'm hoping to just explore areas around the stops.

• Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Any advice on the best stops on the BART?  Probably board in Oakland at 12th/Oak City Center.  

Rockridge - College Ave, super cute area, shopping, restaurants and the original zackarys pizza is they’re if you’re into Chicago style deep dish.

maccarther stop- Temescal brewing, yum 🍺 

19th street - cute area, telegraph is a fun beer garden and they have skee ball! Drakes dealership is off this stop too. Good beer and food 🍺 

Embarcadero- ferry building, good food and amazing farmers market on the weekend.

powell - union square. You could get in line for the cable car and take that up towards fisherman’s wharf/aquatic park area. It drops you off near the buena vista, Irish coffee yum 

16th/mission- burritos/taqueria. My favorite is Pancho villa on 16th and Valencia.  

There’s so much to explore i could go on and on. If you can try to explore GG park a little. Near the windmill/tulip garden on the great highway there’s a restaurant called The Beach Chalet where you can have a beer and watch the waves crash on ocean beach. The cliff house has a good champagne brunch (it’ll cost you) but it’s old school SF and nice views. Hope you enjoy your time here!

IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options

Rockridge - College Ave, super cute area, shopping, restaurants and the original zackarys pizza is they’re if you’re into Chicago style deep dish.

maccarther stop- Temescal brewing, yum 🍺 

19th street - cute area, telegraph is a fun beer garden and they have skee ball! Drakes dealership is off this stop too. Good beer and food 🍺 

Embarcadero- ferry building, good food and amazing farmers market on the weekend.

powell - union square. You could get in line for the cable car and take that up towards fisherman’s wharf/aquatic park area. It drops you off near the buena vista, Irish coffee yum 

16th/mission- burritos/taqueria. My favorite is Pancho villa on 16th and Valencia.  

There’s so much to explore i could go on and on. If you can try to explore GG park a little. Near the windmill/tulip garden on the great highway there’s a restaurant called The Beach Chalet where you can have a beer and watch the waves crash on ocean beach. The cliff house has a good champagne brunch (it’ll cost you) but it’s old school SF and nice views. Hope you enjoy your time here!

good stuff...thank you

Is the Haight/Ashbury area worth visiting?  Not on the BART path I don't think but could walk/uber

• Options

Yes for sure. Huge amoeba there. There’s a Cuban place called Cha Cha Chas that i love, super good and fairly inexpensive for here. Lots of little shops to walk into and check out. Actually the entrance to GG park is right there so you could walk in the park that way to explore. You could see the house where the Grateful Dead lived. If you walk all the way down into lower haight that’s a cool neighborhood too. It’s where Pearl Jam has their art exhibit at Haight Street Art Center. Their exhibit is gone but it’s still cool to check out

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    thanks!

• Options
    How long are you here for? There’s so much to see and it’s always just amazed me how different every area of the city is. You can be downtown and it smells nasty and a little rough around the edges, then pac heights where it’s hella boojie (reminds me Fillmore is a great street to walk around too), then Golden gate park where you’re straight up in the wilderness, there’s even buffalo in GG park! Can you tell i love it here haha. I’ve never lived anywhere but the Bay Area, it’s an interesting place but i love it 

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

• Options
    How long are you here for? There’s so much to see and it’s always just amazed me how different every area of the city is. You can be downtown and it smells nasty and a little rough around the edges, then pac heights where it’s hella boojie (reminds me Fillmore is a great street to walk around too), then Golden gate park where you’re straight up in the wilderness, there’s even buffalo in GG park! Can you tell i love it here haha. I’ve never lived anywhere but the Bay Area, it’s an interesting place but i love it 
    We are coming in on Saturday then heading to Vegas Thursday.  Was thinking about hitting a record store (and maybe a dispensary) on Sat before the show.  Sunday probably A's game and show. My wife wants to hit some wineries so we'll do that maybe Tues?  Wed night we have tix to tour Alcatraz.

I figured we would explore SF on 4/20 day and then again on Wednesday before the tour.

• Options
    ( Kobe Bryant- and whoever else went wiith him-I'm so sorry for his family's  loss---very, very sad about this. Very painful; pray - for his family, friends, and the basketball world- an extremely heartbreaking day. RIP. )
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    NEweather said:
    ( Kobe Bryant- and whoever else went wiith him-I'm so sorry for his family's  loss---very, very sad about this. Very painful; pray - for his family, friends, and the basketball world- an extremely heartbreaking day. RIP. )
    Aww man.  😩. 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

💔

2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

• Options
    edited January 2020
    The Radisson Airport has a shuttle service to/from the OAK airport.  There is a BART station at the airport if you want to ride that to the stadium or anywhere else.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,435
    A's tickets are now on sale for the regular season.  I usually wait until closer to game day and grab tickets on Stubhub, but the face value of As tickets is pretty low so I may just buy in advance from the official website.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,222
    Beginning to re-think my radisson near the stadium based on this thread. I want to be able to enjoy the area.

Downtown SF is pretty expensive but it is closer to things like Fishermans wharf and places of interest. Anyone recommend a good block or 2 of the area that is good for after concert fun? I dont really know if downtown Oakland is a better option? Bay area is one of the very few places I have never been.

My sunday in the day will be Alcatraz (unless I'm GA lol) and id like to find a sweet record store on Saturday the 18th after I land around noon and maybe baseball.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    If you like walking around with throngs of other tourists and eating overpriced, meh seafood, Fisherman's Wharf is great. The only thing I like in that area is the Buena Vista for great Irish coffees. That is more towards Ghiradelli Square.
    I'm gonna, once again, recommend the Jack London Waterfront hotel in Oakland. It has bars and restaurants within safe walking distance. The ferry to SF is right there. Small farmer's market on Saturday. About a 15-20 minute walk to BART. We live only 40 minutes away, but we're staying there both nights for a staycation. Locals know that the secret RSD place to go is 1-2-3-4 Go Records in Oakland. I've had great luck there when I've gone to RSD. Amoeba in Berkeley is bigger and a great store, but RSD is a lot crazier there.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    I joined Ten Club too late to get in on the presale so I have my fingers crossed the fan-to-fan market works out. Really want to go on Saturday. Fingers crossed <3
  • Options
    Beginning to re-think my radisson near the stadium based on this thread. I want to be able to enjoy the area.

Downtown SF is pretty expensive but it is closer to things like Fishermans wharf and places of interest. Anyone recommend a good block or 2 of the area that is good for after concert fun? I dont really know if downtown Oakland is a better option? Bay area is one of the very few places I have never been.

My Sunday in the day will be Alcatraz (unless I'm GA lol) and id like to find a sweet record store on Saturday the 18th after I land around noon and maybe baseball.
    There is literally nothing good (and much bad) in the area around the arena...I'd definitely pay up a bit and stay somewhere else.

Downtown Oakland (really, the area kind of just north of it, where the Fox and Paramount theaters are, along with the New Parish) is kind of hip and happening, with cool bars and restaurants, including Drake's Dealership. Not a bad place to hang before (as I'll be doing) and after (as I won't, 'cause I'm old) the show(s). Not sure if there are any hotels around there, but if so they'd probably be cheaper than any decent ones in S.F., though probably a bit more than the Radisson. Plus, the 19th Street BART station is right there, probably a half-dozen or so stops from the Coliseum stop. (Which is very dangerous and crime-ridden a lot of the time, but during sports events or concerts there are so many people, not to mention usually an actual police presence, that it's totally safe during those times...just don't get caught after the last train leaves!)
  • Options
    I ended up booking the Courtyard by Marriott, near the airport.

Can any locals shed light on how difficult it is to get an Uber after an event at the venue?

Thanks
  • Options

My Sunday in the day will be Alcatraz (unless I'm GA lol) and id like to find a sweet record store on Saturday the 18th after I land around noon and maybe baseball.
    There is literally nothing good (and much bad) in the area around the arena...I'd definitely pay up a bit and stay somewhere else.

Downtown Oakland (really, the area kind of just north of it, where the Fox and Paramount theaters are, along with the New Parish) is kind of hip and happening, with cool bars and restaurants, including Drake's Dealership. Not a bad place to hang before (as I'll be doing) and after (as I won't, 'cause I'm old) the show(s). Not sure if there are any hotels around there, but if so they'd probably be cheaper than any decent ones in S.F., though probably a bit more than the Radisson. Plus, the 19th Street BART station is right there, probably a half-dozen or so stops from the Coliseum stop. (Which is very dangerous and crime-ridden a lot of the time, but during sports events or concerts there are so many people, not to mention usually an actual police presence, that it's totally safe during those times...just don't get caught after the last train leaves!)
    I wouldn't be staying at the Radisson if I could cancel.  But...there is going to be a lot of us there so as long as we head back after the show in a group we should be good.  

• Options

I wouldn't be staying at the Radisson if I could cancel.  But...there is going to be a lot of us there so as long as we head back after the show in a group we should be good.  
    They can't shank all of you!
  • Options
    DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 238
    N2 ticket drop. A bunch of first row Uppers that aren’t behind the stage.