Oakland Roll Call 2020

Comments

• NEweatherNEweather Posts: 449
    TA243471 said:
    NEweather said:
    TA243471 said:
    I figured we might as well hit Oakland too, since we are driving down for the San Diego and LA shows, didn't make sense to drive right past 2 more on our way back home.
    That's the spirit!

Luckily, my wife has family in LA that she will be visiting, so I get off cheap for 3 of the 5 shows.  She only wants to go to 2 at the most!!!
    It's a meant-to-be! Nice!
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    rummy said:
    I’ll be there with the wife.  Staying in sf.  Have a ton of old haunts I need to visit so we’ll be exploring sf and Sausalito all weekend.  Very excited, my wife has never been, can’t wait to eat all that good food
    Are you going to ride the BART to the show? Do they have extended hours for events like this? I guess I get concerned that it shuts down at around midnight. The last thing I want is to get stuck with having to take a cab from Oakland to SF...that won't be cheap!
    Yeah dude definitely going to ride the bart back over- checked with my friends out there and others can confirm but they all said last train over to San Fran is midnight.  I’m going to confirm it on their website (especially for Sunday) but we should have no problems according to them.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • rummy said:
    I’ll be there with the wife.  Staying in sf.  Have a ton of old haunts I need to visit so we’ll be exploring sf and Sausalito all weekend.  Very excited, my wife has never been, can’t wait to eat all that good food
    Are you going to ride the BART to the show? Do they have extended hours for events like this? I guess I get concerned that it shuts down at around midnight. The last thing I want is to get stuck with having to take a cab from Oakland to SF...that won't be cheap!
    Yeah dude definitely going to ride the bart back over- checked with my friends out there and others can confirm but they all said last train over to San Fran is midnight.  I’m going to confirm it on their website (especially for Sunday) but we should have no problems according to them.
    The Oakland to SF Uber/Lyft isn't ridiculously priced either....
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
    Put in for both nights. You can always stay in Dublin or Pleasanton and take the BART right to the arena. Then you don’t have to worry about traffic in the city and parking. Hopefully I will be there with everyone. 4/20 the next day in San Fran is epic too. Going to be a great long weekend. 
    Walnut Creek Embassy Suites is the perfect spot in my opinion. Stayed there multiple times including the TOTD shows in 2016. Basically connected to the BART station and you can park for free at the station for free on weekends. Plus you get a huge breakfast and the area is clean and safe. 

I second this. And if you opt to drive to the show, it’s only about a 15 minute drive (without traffic). I’d much rather stay and hang out in downtown Walnut Creek than anywhere in Oakland. If you’ve never been to SF though, it’s a fantastic city with several great areas to stay, although getting to and from the show will be a little more of a pain. And don’t believe the hype; the bums have always been there. They’re part of the charm. 
    rummy said:
    The Oakland to SF Uber/Lyft isn't ridiculously priced either....
    I appreciate this info.  ( my +1 is resistant about BART tho, :/... )
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Put in for both nights reserved.  coming in from Seattle.  probably going to stay on SF side.. Bart is great, no need for a car.  Good luck all!!
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    I am pretty certain they make sure the BART is running until after show time otherwise they have thousands of people in a no man's land in Oakland. It has been a few years, but I always did BART back to my old place in SF after many concerts. 

I am trying to figure out why my brain thinks two weeknights in LA is better than two weekend nights in SF. 
  • We signed up for Oakland tickets, too (along with San Diego and Phoenix).  Also staying at the Radisson - nice coincidence!  But why would you say walking to the venue isn't an option?  Just the typical reaction to being in Oakland?  LOL
    I'll see you on the other side ...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    We signed up for Oakland tickets, too (along with San Diego and Phoenix).  Also staying at the Radisson - nice coincidence!  But why would you say walking to the venue isn't an option?  Just the typical reaction to being in Oakland?  LOL
    I just looked on the google maps route and it looked like it might not be a great idea to walk but I could be wrong.  

Maybe we can all walk together :)  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    We signed up for Oakland tickets, too (along with San Diego and Phoenix).  Also staying at the Radisson - nice coincidence!  But why would you say walking to the venue isn't an option?  Just the typical reaction to being in Oakland?  LOL
    I just looked on the google maps route and it looked like it might not be a great idea to walk but I could be wrong.  

Yeah-let's walk together
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741

The area around the arena was prominently featured in Cocaine Cowboys 2. 
  • NEweather said:

Yeah-let's walk together

Sounds like a plan!  My boy friend has one of those "I'm from New York so don't mess with me" attitudes so I always feel pretty safe around him!  :)
    (... we'll rally with the jamily, and a pocketful of...)- - - think it'd be nice to walk together-with happy pearl jam people...
  • BH76306BH76306 Posts: 66
    rummy said:
    BART is really good about large events and adding/extending trains to accommodate. Grabbing BART after the show won't be an issue.
    BH76306 said:
    rummy said:
    BART is really good about large events and adding/extending trains to accommodate. Grabbing BART after the show won't be an issue.
    They stopped running before the end of the show last time PJ played in Oakland. 
  • We signed up for Oakland tickets, too (along with San Diego and Phoenix).  Also staying at the Radisson - nice coincidence!  But why would you say walking to the venue isn't an option?  Just the typical reaction to being in Oakland?  LOL

I like that you are employing "bear theory"---you don't have to be faster than the bear...just faster that the slowest walker in your group
  • JS38594JS38594 Posts: 24
    KC2917 said:
    BH76306 said:
    rummy said:
    They played past midnight last time? Must have been epic!
  • Can't wait!  Attending both nights (hopefully!).  Great place for breakfast and THE best irish coffee in SF is The Buena Vista.  BART is super easy to use and drops very close to the arena.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 374
    KC2917 said:
    BH76306 said:
    rummy said:
    I'm pretty sure we took the BART back into the city after the last Oakland shows and we stayed until the shows were over.
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    Checking in for Oakland x2. I
    At the Radisson near Oracle! 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I've done a search of all hotels near the venue.....none of them seem all that great.  The Radisson had some dodgy reviews, but it is pretty close to the venue.

An alternative is the Hilton, but it seems to be about a 35 minute walk from the venue.

What to do?....what to do?
    juliefer said:
    KC2917 said:
    BH76306 said:
    rummy said:
    I'm pretty sure we took the BART back into the city after the last Oakland shows and we stayed until the shows were over.
    I distinctly remember being stranded in the parking lot because BART had stopped running and having to coerce my friend to drive 2 hours out of his way to give me a ride to my car on a work night. 
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Just checked into it on the BART website, last train to San Fran (Daly City) from Oakland (coliseum stop) weekdays, weekends & sundays leaves the coliseum stop at 12:32am.  Plenty of time at least for my old ass to be fine.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    KC2917 said:
    juliefer said:
    KC2917 said:
    BH76306 said:
    rummy said:
    I distinctly remember being stranded in the parking lot because BART had stopped running and having to coerce my friend to drive 2 hours out of his way to give me a ride to my car on a work night. 
    I remember BART had delays Going To that show Nov.?26, '13- "obstruction" on tracks sm.where that delayed the flow? And my +1 that night, refused to take BART to it-(but lived near there back then)and met me in the parking lot of that venue after i off&walked frm BART to attend it. After show, drove me back to the BART station my car was at where I was coming frm. 
  • JOEJOEJOE said:
    I've done a search of all hotels near the venue.....none of them seem all that great.  The Radisson had some dodgy reviews, but it is pretty close to the venue.

An alternative is the Hilton, but it seems to be about a 35 minute walk from the venue.

It's a Radisson - how bad could it be?  :)  It seems to be the hotel of choice for most of us staying near the venue.  We'll make the best of it for sure!
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    I doubt BART is going to run special late night trains for a Pearl Jam concert. ;) BART is generally fine, but it has been getting worse and worse over the last ten years. The area around the arena is a bit of a no man's land. I don't know how close this Radisson is, but if it's not far, walking with a group should be fine. No need to be afraid of Oakland. I lived there for many years and most of the shit talk is just that. It is a beautiful city and I would much rather live there than SF, where I also lived for years. I would still live there if all the people fleeing the City didn't start buying up all the houses. We wanted a bigger place, so we bought in Vallejo.
    Like someone else said, a Lyft ride isn't that bad if you need to go back to the City. I took one from SF to our old house that was five minutes from Oracle and it was only about 30-40 bucks. BART would be great if the show ends before last train. Keep in mind it's a little bit of a walk from Oracle to the station, maybe about 15 minutes brisk walk. Not bad, but keep it in mind. Make sure you have roundtrip fare already on your Clipper card.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    JOEJOEJOE said:

It's a Radisson - how bad could it be?  :)  It seems to be the hotel of choice for most of us staying near the venue.  We'll make the best of it for sure!
    That's a great attitude!  I will hold-on to my reservations at the Radisson & the Hilton so I can decide closer to the show.
  • sdharv1919sdharv1919 Traverse City, MI Posts: 13
    Will be there!  Staying in SF.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98
    Alpine Valley 6/27/98
    East Lansing 8/18/98
    Knoxville 9/6/98
    D.C. (Constitution Hall) 9/19/98
    Nobelsville 8/18/00
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Detroit (EV) 6/26/11
    Wrigley 8/22/16
    Wrigley 8/18/18
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I'm seeing those reviews on the Radisson now.  Looking at SF and the prices are super ridiculous there.  If anyone local has any better recommendations hope to see something here.  Otherwise it looks like there are a number of people at the Radisson...mob mentality and all can rule the day.
  • theboywiltheboywil Seattle Posts: 59
    edited January 2020
    We booked the Comfort Inn, as it's inexpensive, can be cancelled and close-ish to the venue.  The reviews sound exactly as expected.  We put in for both nights and will be (hopefully) traveling from Seattle. 
    Well we've been a good few hours drinking
    So I'm going to say what everyone's thinking
    If we're stuck on this ship and it's sinking
    Then we might as well have a parade