Options

Accommodations for those without smartphones?

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Can someone please tell me where I can get a smart phone for $20? Apparently I have vastly overpaid for mine.
    Consumer Cellular? :i_dunno: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,435
    I’m also pissed the new album isn’t offered on 8 track! Not everyone has a CD player or a turntable! 

Also, why can I only get 10c tickets through email when I have been a standing member for over 20 years? Not everyone has the internet or a computer!

Also, why doesn’t the band play in my city? Not everyone has a car or knows someone that wants to drive them, or likes to fly! 
    Do you have any other inapt analogies?  Are there tens of millions of Americans with 8-track players?  Could anyone have a reasonable expectation of the album being available on 8-track when no album has been available in that format for over 30 years, contrary to how hard tickets were made available for this band's most recent shows less than two years ago?

Again, why does this bother you?  No one is asking anything from you.  No one is asking you to be inconvenienced in any way.  You are choosing to engage with this thread when it is of no concern to you, and why?  Just to be a dick?

This band arranged for hard tickets to be available to customers without smartphones on its last tour.  This band did that.  Other bands playing these same venues using the same ticket agency do that.  How is it unreasonable to inquire as to whether they intend to do the same thing that they just did?  And why does it so offend you that someone dares to ask?

Generally, businesses try to accommodate people who want to purchase the products they're selling, not mock them.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Can I just point out how insane this argument is? For the, what, 2% of the entire population who have chosen not to join the other 98% and get themselves a smart phone (or as MANY others have pointed out - just get a damn iPod touch or other small wifi device), we're supposed to expect this particular band to cater exclusively to you? It's 20-goddamn-20. They've finally found a way to answer so many of the valid complaints people have had on previous tours, regarding eliminating scalpers, adding single ticket options, etc....and yet we still bitch?
    I've been part of this forum since 2002, and every time the tours roll around I pop in just to see what's going on with everyone, reconnect with old friends, get some tips on where to stay and how to best travel, etc....and I'm always amazed at the ridiculous complaints people find a way to make each time around. It's truly incredible.

Hi Sharon, 

Requiring a smart phone defeats the purpose of selling tickets thru the fan club.

Pearl Jam’s goal is to vehemently fight high ticket prices. That’s why there is such a fight to keep scalpers away. That’s why their on sale announcement features a 12 step guide and tutorial on proper ticket buying. Other bands simply do not do this. $103 + fees is an absurdly low amount to charge for such an extreme in demand event such as a PJ arena concert. This is like getting World Series tickets for $100. It simply does not happen outside the PJ universe.

So now expensive phones are part of the ticket price. I don’t think an iPod with WiFi will work outside an arena, but perhaps I’m wrong on that.

Expensive internet and computers, too! Plus expensive electricity to power them! Plus I have to pay for a domicile to keep them in!

You’re bringing your desktop to the show?

the point is, their cause, their goal, in their concert universe, is to fight high ticket prices. So now they require expensive 4g service? I don’t see how WiFi is doing the trick outside a massively crowded arena, but maybe. 

The band has adapted to the world, and so should you. Adapt or watch the world pass you by.
    Or don't adapt in this one way and continue living a perfectly contented, fulfilled, rich life.  My technology choices have worked out pretty well for me, thanks.  
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,626
    Can someone please tell me where I can get a smart phone for $20? Apparently I have vastly overpaid for mine.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/simple-mobile-tcl-a1-black/6325619.p?skuId=6325619
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,112
    Can I just point out how insane this argument is? For the, what, 2% of the entire population who have chosen not to join the other 98% and get themselves a smart phone (or as MANY others have pointed out - just get a damn iPod touch or other small wifi device), we're supposed to expect this particular band to cater exclusively to you? It's 20-goddamn-20. They've finally found a way to answer so many of the valid complaints people have had on previous tours, regarding eliminating scalpers, adding single ticket options, etc....and yet we still bitch?
    I've been part of this forum since 2002, and every time the tours roll around I pop in just to see what's going on with everyone, reconnect with old friends, get some tips on where to stay and how to best travel, etc....and I'm always amazed at the ridiculous complaints people find a way to make each time around. It's truly incredible.

Hi Sharon, 

Requiring a smart phone defeats the purpose of selling tickets thru the fan club.

Pearl Jam’s goal is to vehemently fight high ticket prices. That’s why there is such a fight to keep scalpers away. That’s why their on sale announcement features a 12 step guide and tutorial on proper ticket buying. Other bands simply do not do this. $103 + fees is an absurdly low amount to charge for such an extreme in demand event such as a PJ arena concert. This is like getting World Series tickets for $100. It simply does not happen outside the PJ universe.

So now expensive phones are part of the ticket price. I don’t think an iPod with WiFi will work outside an arena, but perhaps I’m wrong on that.

Edit, 
    Samsung Note 9 user. 
    It's impressive how you can crowbar this lamentation into every topic
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Can you use the commerative tickets for entry?
    They're selling commemorative tickets?  So you can't buy an actual hard ticket to get into the show, but you can pay extra for a fake ticket that won't get you into the show? Oh, Pearl Jam...

Does the band even know about this?  I feel like if someone told Eddie or Mike that the ticket setup excludes people without smartphones, they'd say, "Well, of course we should be able to print tickets for people who need them."

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,406
    Cricket Wireless.

I used them for years before the wife added me to her ATT plan so she could get a new iPhone 20 or whatever (I’m using her hand-me-down iPhone 6).

Anyways, cricket had pretty good plans with data for, like $30 a month. They have a bunch of cheap, low tech, smart phones that are around $40. 

So so the line about smart phones being expensive is a bunch of shit. Especially when compare to tickets, flights, hotels, and everything need to go to a PJ show. Hell, back when I worked with refugees, they all had smartphones as did their friends and family back in the refugee camps. Why? Because they’re cheap.

Just buy two posters at a show and flip them on eBay. Should cover the cost of a cheap ass smartphone.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I’m also pissed the new album isn’t offered on 8 track! Not everyone has a CD player or a turntable! 

Also, why can I only get 10c tickets through email when I have been a standing member for over 20 years? Not everyone has the internet or a computer!

Also, why doesn’t the band play in my city? Not everyone has a car or knows someone that wants to drive them, or likes to fly! 
    Do you have any other inapt analogies?  Are there tens of millions of Americans with 8-track players?  Could anyone have a reasonable expectation of the album being available on 8-track when no album has been available in that format for over 30 years, contrary to how hard tickets were made available for this band's most recent shows less than two years ago?

Again, why does this bother you?  No one is asking anything from you.  No one is asking you to be inconvenienced in any way.  You are choosing to engage with this thread when it is of no concern to you, and why?  Just to be a dick?

This band arranged for hard tickets to be available to customers without smartphones on its last tour.  This band did that.  Other bands playing these same venues using the same ticket agency do that.  How is it unreasonable to inquire as to whether they intend to do the same thing that they just did?  And why does it so offend you that someone dares to ask?

Generally, businesses try to accommodate people who want to purchase the products they're selling, not mock them.
    I could offer plenty more analogies if you would like. Just let me know.

My 86 year old grandmother has a smartphone. My hand to god this is the absolute truth. She doesn’t know how to use it all that well, but she does have one. Like it or not, the 8 track analogy is not far off from people not having smart phones. You are a dying breed. Also true is my analogy of the 10c at some point REQUIRING you to have an email account and a computer to purchase 10c tickets, which was a change to how things originally functioned. CHANGED!!!!!

Why does it bother me? It doesn’t at all really. I am just pointing out the absurdity in your thinking that just because you choose to remain in the dark ages, that somehow prohibits the band and the rest of the world from evolving, like they owe it to you to keep things the way they were in 1991. 

• Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 382
    Its odd that will calling tickets, something every venue still does, has in two years now become impractical.  And for 10C to suggest borrowing someone’s phone just shows that someone could still profit off their 10C ticket access.
  • Options
    I agree that this sucks for those without smartphones.  But there is a solution -- there will certainly be single tickets available via the message boards.  Find a 10C friend with a smartphone and buy their extra ticket (face value) and then meet them outside the arena before the show and go in together.  No smart phone needed and you can make a new friend.  
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Cricket Wireless.

I used them for years before the wife added me to her ATT plan so she could get a new iPhone 20 or whatever (I’m using her hand-me-down iPhone 6).

Anyways, cricket had pretty good plans with data for, like $30 a month. They have a bunch of cheap, low tech, smart phones that are around $40. 

So so the line about smart phones being expensive is a bunch of shit. Especially when compare to tickets, flights, hotels, and everything need to go to a PJ show. Hell, back when I worked with refugees, they all had smartphones as did their friends and family back in the refugee camps. Why? Because they’re cheap.

Just buy two posters at a show and flip them on eBay. Should cover the cost of a cheap ass smartphone.
    Seriously, if my curiousity hadn't led me to open this thread, I would have had no idea that you can buy a phone that cheap. Now I do. Thank you to several of you for the tips. When my current phone goes to crap -- and they always [in]conveniently do just when I've finished paying them off  -- I will figure out how to get one of these cheapos and still maintain my carrier. Some of us just don't keep up with this stuff, have no interest in it. It's exhausting and time-consuming and quite frankly in my view just not that interesting. I've got better things to do with my time, and I think it's kind of snottish for people to pull the 2020 crap and call people names just because some of us would rather read a good book or take a walk in the woods than fool with a bunch of gadgets all day long.  Sorry for the people who have to figure this out. It sucks, I agree, to be that person who won't be accommodated. It's really too bad.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    They're selling commemorative tickets?  So you can't buy an actual hard ticket to get into the show, but you can pay extra for a fake ticket that won't get you into the show? Oh, Pearl Jam...

Does the band even know about this?  I feel like if someone told Eddie or Mike that the ticket setup excludes people without smartphones, they'd say, "Well, of course we should be able to print tickets for people who need them."

They were $10
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 382
    BF25394 said:

My 86 year old grandmother has a smartphone. My hand to god this is the absolute truth. She doesn’t know how to use it all that well, but she does have one. Like it or not, the 8 track analogy is not far off from people not having smart phones. You are a dying breed. Also true is my analogy of the 10c at some point REQUIRING you to have an email account and a computer to purchase 10c tickets, which was a change to how things originally functioned. CHANGED!!!!!

Why does it bother me? It doesn’t at all really. I am just pointing out the absurdity in your thinking that just because you choose to remain in the dark ages, that somehow prohibits the band and the rest of the world from evolving, like they owe it to you to keep things the way they were in 1991. 

20% of cell phone owners aren’t smartphone owners. That is not an insignificant number. And the smartphone ticketing doesn’t actually prevent all scalping.  And you can get an email address using a library or work computer if you needed to, no ownership required.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

Not having a smart phone is not "the dark ages." It's an exaggeration to say that. I know plenty of people who choose not to own a car. Does that make them part of the stone age? 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    BF25394 said:

Not having a smart phone is not "the dark ages." It's an exaggeration to say that. I know plenty of people who choose not to own a car. Does that make them part of the stone age? 
    No; just part of the DUI club.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

There does seem to be a terrible irony here. 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

No; just part of the DUI club.
    HAHA... Gold there son!
  • Options
    Tremorman said:
    BF25394 said:

20% of cell phone owners aren’t smartphone owners. That is not an insignificant number. And the smartphone ticketing doesn’t actually prevent all scalping.  And you can get an email address using a library or work computer if you needed to, no ownership required.
    You’re the only one talking about scalping here. Is this about cost of phones or preventing scalping? Let’s stay focused.

Thanks for the lesson on how to get an email address, I think My point of bringing up email (that the band changed from the snail mail ticketing system) flew right over your head. I know you non- smart phone owners probably assume getting an email address and accessing a computer is difficult for everyone else to understand, just like it is yourselves, but I assure you it is not!
  • Options
    Tremorman said:
    Its odd that will calling tickets, something every venue still does, has in two years now become impractical.  And for 10C to suggest borrowing someone’s phone just shows that someone could still profit off their 10C ticket access.

The ticketing world has been moving towards mobile only tickets for a while now. Most NFL teams are now using or moving towards using mobile only and this will be the last year there will be non-mobile tickets for the Super Bowl. It cuts down on scalping and more importantly ticket fraud by eliminating fake tickets being distributed in the marketplace.

• Options
    what dreams said: Not having a smart phone is not "the dark ages." It's an exaggeration to say that. I know plenty of people who choose not to own a car. Does that make them part of the stone age? 
    It’s an exaggeration?? You mean it’s not literally the Dark Ages?

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    What if you slam a handful of shrooms in the lot and have to fight a cyclops or some shit? Let's say you bang him up real good, and he's limping away but spins around and takes one last swing at you with his knobby club?  You're trying to take a video to post on the message boards but his last swing clobbers your phone and it goes spinning out of your hand and lands in a mine field on the edge of the lava pit?  There's no way you're going to be able to retrieve it without a kitchenaid stand mixer and no one has one with them obviously.  Would will call hook you up with a hard ticket?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    What if you slam a handful of shrooms in the lot and have to fight a cyclops or some shit? Let's say you bang him up real good, and he's limping away but spins around and takes one last swing at you with his knobby club?  You're trying to take a video to post on the message boards but his last swing clobbers your phone and it goes spinning out of your hand and lands in a mine field on the edge of the lava pit?  There's no way you're going to be able to retrieve it without a kitchenaid stand mixer and no one has one with them obviously.  Would will call hook you up with a hard ticket?
    LMAO!! This is a great, great question. This ticketing system seems unfair to people who were required to fight Cyclops on the way into the show. Why didn’t Pearl Jam consider Cyclops Fighters?
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    shecky said:
    Ten Club confirmed to me that without an iphone (that I'm supposed to borrow from someone?) there's no way I, a 20 year 10C member, can get in. Frankly, I don't really care anymore anyway. These days at shows I'm usually surrounded by drunken cunts - usually male - that think that every song is a "sing along" and they have the RIGHT to ruin the show for the sober folks who paid to hear Eddie sing. Eff it.
    This guy definitely tells people to sit down at concerts.  
    yup. . .ugh. . .if this new way of getting tickets eliminates those kinds of folks im all for it
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    Some of you folks are just so smug., so full of yourselves, always doing your best to one-up the last guy with the dickish comeback. We've got a member here -- a member of our self-important "jamily" best fans in the world club -- a member who wants to go to a show but can't because of technicality. A simple, "Oh that sucks dude. Sorry" is enough. But no. People have to be judgmental creeps about it. Every single time anyone shares anything that makes them slightly vulnerable, people pounce. This "we're the best fans in the world" is a bunch of crap, as far as I'm concerned. 
    I feel really bad for this guy. How can I not feel bad for someone who is excluded from getting tickets, for any reason? The top of the announcement says, "You're eligible if your membership is up-to-date." It doesn't say, "You're eligible if your membership is up-to-date AND you own a smart phone." Clearly they need to change that on the announcement.
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    that said, i dont think it should be a requirement to have a smartphone. ive only had one since 2017, and only got one cause the non smart phone offered was so shitty, so I made the jump. . .but I can sympathize with the folks who don't want to join the rat race
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    Pretty sure this will be locked down by the time I wake up in the morning. Thanks for the laughs.

Get a damn smartphone and be done with it.
  • Options
    Tremorman said:

The ticketing world has been moving towards mobile only tickets for a while now. Most NFL teams are now using or moving towards using mobile only and this will be the last year there will be non-mobile tickets for the Super Bowl. It cuts down on scalping and more importantly ticket fraud by eliminating fake tickets being distributed in the marketplace.

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,400
    edited January 2020
    If you are going to have a phone, might as well be a smart phone at this point. I understand though if you don’t have a phone at all because that is just impressive. No one says you have to use it for any other purpose than calling people, but why not have the additional benefits just because/if needed?

It does suck that it excludes people at the end of the day when a very simple solution exists (physical tickets). 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Some of you folks are just so smug., so full of yourselves, always doing your best to one-up the last guy with the dickish comeback. We've got a member here -- a member of our self-important "jamily" best fans in the world club -- a member who wants to go to a show but can't because of technicality. A simple, "Oh that sucks dude. Sorry" is enough. But no. People have to be judgmental creeps about it. Every single time anyone shares anything that makes them slightly vulnerable, people pounce. This "we're the best fans in the world" is a bunch of crap, as far as I'm concerned. 
    I feel really bad for this guy. How can I not feel bad for someone who is excluded from getting tickets, for any reason? The top of the announcement says, "You're eligible if your membership is up-to-date." It doesn't say, "You're eligible if your membership is up-to-date AND you own a smart phone." Clearly they need to change that on the announcement.
    Because at some point a question wasn’t just being asked; it was interspersed with a sense of entitlement that because a fan didn’t have a smart phone they were owed something. That is where the problem lies. If it’s about the question, just leave it at that. The band is allowed to change as they always have. I want everyone who wants to get in the show to be able to do so, but sometimes the world evolves and you have to acknowledge when that happens. You don’t have to evolve with it, but you can’t get mad because others evolve. 
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    Take PJ out of it.

The whole world is going to ticketless mobile entry for almost everything.

Not being able to get into a PJ show is gonna be the least of your issues going forward. 

This is one of those times in life where you might not wanna do something, but if you don't wanna be left completely behind, have to do it.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
This discussion has been closed.