Options

Accommodations for those without smartphones?

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,100
    kramer73 said:
    What is kind of funny is that the email even states how if you have a disability they will provide special seating to accommodate you. But what if your disability prevents you from using a smartphone. Will there be special tickets to accommodate you.

To be honest a lot of times I kind of think that the steps taken to prevent scalping are kind of extreme. Especially when the two easiest ways to actually cut down on scalping would be to raise prices to what the market will bear or to play more shows.
    If they raise prices, doesn't that just raise the scalpers price?  
    There's a ceiling to what people will pay for any given ticket. Raising prices will, at worst, squeeze scalpers' margins. Not that I don't appreciate their keeping prices relatively reasonable. 
  • Options
    dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,189
    edited January 2020
    Bring your phone from home, enter your code directly on the keypad

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,778
    PB11041 said:
    It is a fair question and no one should be forced to have a smartphone in order get the opportunity to fanclub tickets. 
    No one is forcing anyone to do anything. The Ten Club laid out the parameters for how they're going to address the issue of scalping and if that's a burden then I guess people can figure it out.
    So firstly, it is no skin off my back, because it is a luxury I can afford.  So I will say it again, no paying member of the TC should be required to own a Smart Phone in order to go to a concert, there are fans of this band who getting to a single show will be a financial burden on.  Not everyone can just have an iphone.  It is reasonable for them not to be shut out.  And I can guarantee you this, there is already a loophole that ticketmaster guy already exposed on his call during sirius today.  I will leave it at that.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,778
    Zod said:
    PB11041 said:
    It is a fair question and no one should be forced to have a smartphone in order get the opportunity to fanclub tickets. 
    The counter argument is that there's only one alternative for people that don't have smartphones.  Hard copies.   This creates a loophole where people can claim to not have a smartphone to get physical tickets they can sell.

On the flipside the big loophole of the 2018 tour was screenshots.  Nothing on the tickets were animated.  Thus you could easily swap/trade/sell tickets once you had the digital copies.
    2018 fenway was insane the ushers were telling people to take screen shots and then by 20 minutes into the show fights were erupting in my section because assholes who did not have field tickets were on the field.  Ticketmaster guy just basically confirmed that once in the venue, all bets are off.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    BF25394 said:
    PB11041 said:
    You can:

1.  Go with someone who has a smartphone
    2.  Borrow an old phone from a family member or friend for the day
    3.  Borrow/use an iPod touch that is also wifi compatible

Unfortunate as it may be for those who don't have smartphones, these three options would be quite easy to pull together in the months leading up to these dates if need be and definitely doable

None of these solutions is necessarily as easy as you think it is.  Not everyone has someone available to make the ticket purchase for them and go to the show with them.  Not everyone has old phones lying around, let alone ones that are still activated.  Many people are unwilling or unable to give away their phones for an evening or more.

Twenty percent of Americans do not have smartphones.  It's not a small minority; it's tens of millions of people.  Venues already make accommodations for shows and for sports events that are otherwise Mobile Entry for this reason.  Hopefully, a similar accommodation will be made here.  It would be ironic for a band that offers an "analog" fan club membership and which has fetishized obsolete technology (vinyl records and typewriters) not to do so.

Regardless, the purpose of this thread was to provide an opportunity for the Ten Club to address this question.  Tips from other fan club members are appreciated but beside the point.
    I get what you mean, however it is not hard at all to find one person with some sort of old phone or device that they can lend.  They don't even have to be activated, because wifi/hotspots are a thing.  I actually used my 10 year old iPod touch at a Raconteurs show to use the ticket app because I didn't feel like taking my phone to get locked up in a pouch

I just think, will all due respect, while it is worth contacting them to see if there is anything they are willing to do, there are very doable and possible other options that can make concertgoing a sure thing regardless
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,576
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    No one is forcing anyone to do anything. The Ten Club laid out the parameters for how they're going to address the issue of scalping and if that's a burden then I guess people can figure it out.
    So firstly, it is no skin off my back, because it is a luxury I can afford.  So I will say it again, no paying member of the TC should be required to own a Smart Phone in order to go to a concert, there are fans of this band who getting to a single show will be a financial burden on.  Not everyone can just have an iphone.  It is reasonable for them not to be shut out.  And I can guarantee you this, there is already a loophole that ticketmaster guy already exposed on his call during sirius today.  I will leave it at that.
    What did he state?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    I don't think they necessarily are required to own a smart phone though in order to go to a concert, no?  Maybe a bit more inconvenient however using those above options I can't imagine not being able to have a screen that can connect to venue Wifi in your hands if you take the time to plan for it in the months they have before the show

While I think it is worth contacting them to see if there are any other options, I don't see this is quite a make-or-break issue if a person is somewhat resourceful 
  • Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,201
    edited January 2020
    That being said, I do hope everyone who wants to see the shows gets to go, and hopefully is able to do so with reasonable ease. I am curious as to what the response will be on Ticketmaster/10C's part regarding this
  • Options
    biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    Brisk. said:
    You can spend $120 on a ticket + travelling but not $20 on a smart phone?
    it's not about the money
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,420
    edited January 2020
    It's not about money.  Do you think Warren Buffett doesn't have a smartphone because he can't afford one? There are other considerations.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,201
    edited January 2020
    BF25394 said:
    It's not about money.  Do you think Warren Buffett doesn't have a smartphone because he can't afford one? There are other considerations.
    Although Warren doesn't have one because he has tons of people to make his calls and get directions via GPS for him  =)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/07/warren-buffett-got-an-iphone-x--but-he-hasnt-worked-up-the-courage-to-use-it.html

Kidding aside, keep us posted on what they say if they reply back to you.  Hopefully there is an easy alternative method they can employ for those without immediate access to a smartphone
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 347
    Brisk. said:
    I don't want or need a smart phone. People have offered me their old phones for free. Not important to me.
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    Ten Club confirmed to me that without an iphone (that I'm supposed to borrow from someone?) there's no way I, a 20 year 10C member, can get in. Frankly, I don't really care anymore anyway. These days at shows I'm usually surrounded by drunken cunts - usually male - that think that every song is a "sing along" and they have the RIGHT to ruin the show for the sober folks who paid to hear Eddie sing. Eff it.
  • Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 346
    Technology ruins everything
  • Options
    Weird hill to die on. I wanted to pay in salmon but they wouldn't let me either.
  • Options
    Technology ruins everything

Well, no... But we all have our limits and they're probably all different. I get that I'm the odd one out on this.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    smile6680 said:
    Brisk. said:
    I don't want or need a smart phone. People have offered me their old phones for free. Not important to me.
    Not sure what the big deal is. You don't have to actually use the phone...I figure PJ is important to you so you'd make that some financial investment. 
  • Options
    smile6680 said:
    Brisk. said:
    Would probably help you out in a situation like this though

• Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    If its going to be smart phone only, can they also use the locking bags that Jack White uses....?
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    PSUS2H said:
    If its going to be smart phone only, can they also use the locking bags that Jack White uses....?
    This
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    Can I just point out how insane this argument is? For the, what, 2% of the entire population who have chosen not to join the other 98% and get themselves a smart phone (or as MANY others have pointed out - just get a damn iPod touch or other small wifi device), we're supposed to expect this particular band to cater exclusively to you? It's 20-goddamn-20. They've finally found a way to answer so many of the valid complaints people have had on previous tours, regarding eliminating scalpers, adding single ticket options, etc....and yet we still bitch?
    I've been part of this forum since 2002, and every time the tours roll around I pop in just to see what's going on with everyone, reconnect with old friends, get some tips on where to stay and how to best travel, etc....and I'm always amazed at the ridiculous complaints people find a way to make each time around. It's truly incredible.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    Weird hill to die on. I wanted to pay in salmon but they wouldn't let me either.
    If I get an extra ticket....I will gladly take that salmon in exchange for it.....
  • Options
    If I get an extra ticket....I will gladly take that salmon in exchange for it.....
    Sold! (It's canned salmon.)
  • Options
    MozzyMozzy Posts: 154
    edited January 2020
    Can I just point out how insane this argument is? For the, what, 2% of the entire population who have chosen not to join the other 98% and get themselves a smart phone (or as MANY others have pointed out - just get a damn iPod touch or other small wifi device), we're supposed to expect this particular band to cater exclusively to you? It's 20-goddamn-20. They've finally found a way to answer so many of the valid complaints people have had on previous tours, regarding eliminating scalpers, adding single ticket options, etc....and yet we still bitch?
    I've been part of this forum since 2002, and every time the tours roll around I pop in just to see what's going on with everyone, reconnect with old friends, get some tips on where to stay and how to best travel, etc....and I'm always amazed at the ridiculous complaints people find a way to make each time around. It's truly incredible.
    As much as I get that it sucks people are left behind when the system moves forward, you're right. There will always be people left behind. People in the 10C complained when they moved to requiring a credit card instead of using a check for tix as well. People complained with them requiring Internet instead of using the mail (complained on the Internet, btw!). There will always be complaints. I think there's limits to fairness and being reasonable and accommodating. I think the new ticket system, might be a really good step forward and I'm cautiously optimistic. 
    Post edited by Mozzy on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,567
    People on this site will always find something to complain about. 
    No matter what the 10club does to make more tickets available to fanclub members people will always find something to be unhappy about. 
    Its never if they will complain its always when.
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    People on this site will always find something to complain about. 
    No matter what the 10club does to make more tickets available to fanclub members people will always find something to be unhappy about. 
    Its never if they will complain its always when.

Mozzy said:
    As much as I get that it sucks people are left behind when the system moves forward, you're right. There will always be people left behind. People in the 10C complained when they moved to requiring a credit card instead of using a check for tix as well. People complained with them requiring Internet instead of using the mail (complained on the Internet, btw!). There will always be complaints. I think there's limits to fairness and being reasonable and accommodating. I think the new ticket system, might be a really good step forward and I'm cautiously optimistic. 

You're both absolutely right. I guess I'm just particularly blown away by the true absurdity of this one.
    Whatever the OP's reason is for not having a smart phone (or any other device that could work just as easily for this function), to think they're entitled to special treatment for it is just insane.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    OP really just asked a question...
  • Options
    BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy San Diego Posts: 388
    biz999 said:
    OP really just asked a question...
    Pretty sad, how unwelcoming some people are. And how much negativity they release into the world towards people in the same community as them. I'd never treat my brother or sister the way many people treat others around here.
  • Options
    I want to give an analogy I just thought of: I'm a vegetarian. If I go to a work dinner, and all the meals have meat, I will ask if there are any alternatives. If not, it's cool, it's my problem to deal with anyways.

I do not think I am complaining in this situation.
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 347
    I belong to just two fan clubs this and another one. This last fall the other fan club had the same policy/ticketing system. All it took was for the other fan club  to say it was okay for the venue to print off hard tickets the  day of the concert at the will call window. The teller said it wasn't a problem and it took maybe 30 seconds to print and hand them to me. Once again the fan club can authorize it if they choose to. There were a decent amount of people who also were allowed to do it. 
This discussion has been closed.