Options

Accommodations for those without smartphones?

Comments

• Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    shecky said:
    Ten Club confirmed to me that without an iphone (that I'm supposed to borrow from someone?) there's no way I, a 20 year 10C member, can get in. Frankly, I don't really care anymore anyway. These days at shows I'm usually surrounded by drunken cunts - usually male - that think that every song is a "sing along" and they have the RIGHT to ruin the show for the sober folks who paid to hear Eddie sing. Eff it.
    This guy definitely tells people to sit down at concerts. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    edited January 2020
    biz999 said:
    I want to give an analogy I just thought of: I'm a vegetarian. If I go to a work dinner, and all the meals have meat, I will ask if there are any alternatives. If not, it's cool, it's my problem to deal with anyways.

I do not think I am complaining in this situation.
    Yeah, I was a vegetarian for a long time, and I had exactly the same attitude to things, like when I went out for dinner with friends, I wasn't about to dictate where we ate.  I think what people are commenting on is a perceived underlying superiority of not tainting one's life with a smart phone, when in fact it's a fairly affordable piece of technology that's as intrusive as you want it to be, and like it or not, is used more and more in day to day life.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    BF25394 said:
    No, only four percent of Americans do not have a cell phone.

True story-- At the end of December, I had to replace my phone.  As I bought a new basic phone (i.e., non-smart phone), the Verizon sales rep told me, "You'd be surprised.  I sell at least one of these basic phones every day."  Of course, I was not surprised since I was, you know, buying a basic phone from him right then and there.  I thought, "People who don't use smartphones shouldn't be surprised to learn that there are people who don't use smartphones."

I meet people all the time who don't have smartphones.  There are some very famous and successful people who don't have smartphones.  Warren Buffett, Daniel Day-Lewis and Rihanna, to name three very demographically distinct but similarly successful individuals.  There are others.

"P-R-I-V-A-C-Y, it's priceless to me..."  I can't remember who said that...
    Those people have a human Siri though.  When those people call people the folks on the other end of the line pick-up right away and get the answer.
  • Options
    BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy San Diego Posts: 388
    Can I just point out how insane this argument is? For the, what, 2% of the entire population who have chosen not to join the other 98% and get themselves a smart phone (or as MANY others have pointed out - just get a damn iPod touch or other small wifi device), we're supposed to expect this particular band to cater exclusively to you? It's 20-goddamn-20. They've finally found a way to answer so many of the valid complaints people have had on previous tours, regarding eliminating scalpers, adding single ticket options, etc....and yet we still bitch?
    I've been part of this forum since 2002, and every time the tours roll around I pop in just to see what's going on with everyone, reconnect with old friends, get some tips on where to stay and how to best travel, etc....and I'm always amazed at the ridiculous complaints people find a way to make each time around. It's truly incredible.
    People on this site will always find something to complain about. 
    No matter what the 10club does to make more tickets available to fanclub members people will always find something to be unhappy about. 
    Its never if they will complain its always when.

Mozzy said:
    As much as I get that it sucks people are left behind when the system moves forward, you're right. There will always be people left behind. People in the 10C complained when they moved to requiring a credit card instead of using a check for tix as well. People complained with them requiring Internet instead of using the mail (complained on the Internet, btw!). There will always be complaints. I think there's limits to fairness and being reasonable and accommodating. I think the new ticket system, might be a really good step forward and I'm cautiously optimistic. 

You're both absolutely right. I guess I'm just particularly blown away by the true absurdity of this one.
    Whatever the OP's reason is for not having a smart phone (or any other device that could work just as easily for this function), to think they're entitled to special treatment for it is just insane.
    While the answer to the OP's question may be that no exceptions will be made, I don't think it's an unreasonable question to ask and see if there is a way to accommodate. And if TC or the band actually determines there is an easy way to make this happen without jeopardizing their goal of keeping tickets in the hands of fans, will you still believe that the request is absurd, insane, and a product of special treatment? We are not the Pearl Jam ticket police the last time I checked, and the OP is just a fan who wants to know whether they should request tickets.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,424
    Can I just point out how insane this argument is? For the, what, 2% of the entire population who have chosen not to join the other 98% and get themselves a smart phone (or as MANY others have pointed out - just get a damn iPod touch or other small wifi device), we're supposed to expect this particular band to cater exclusively to you? It's 20-goddamn-20. They've finally found a way to answer so many of the valid complaints people have had on previous tours, regarding eliminating scalpers, adding single ticket options, etc....and yet we still bitch?
    I've been part of this forum since 2002, and every time the tours roll around I pop in just to see what's going on with everyone, reconnect with old friends, get some tips on where to stay and how to best travel, etc....and I'm always amazed at the ridiculous complaints people find a way to make each time around. It's truly incredible.
    It's actually 20 percent, not 2 percent.  And it's also not a "choice" for everyone.  And why does this bother you so?  It's none of your concern.  Why are you even reading this thread?

It's not a ridiculous complaint to inquire whether there is any plan in place to accommodate a small but real segment of the fan base at essentially no cost to the band, the ticketing agency or the venues.  Venues make these accommodations for shows and for sports events every day.  Other artists make this accommodation.  This very band made this same accommodation for its most recent Home/Away shows, so it seems that someone there understands that this is a reasonable request, not "insane" "bitch[ing]."  The lead singer of the band fetishizes manual typewriters and vinyl records, for Pete's sake, so "it's 20-goddamn-20" is an especially ironic "argument."  Anyway, you mean to tell me that it's insane to merely inquire about whether I can get a ticket printed-- a ticket that I will have paid for and for which I will show identification to collect, just like was done for the last set of shows?

No one is asking to be catered to. We're asking if they're planning to make the same accommodation they made before.  If they are not, then we will deal with it.  I've seen Pearl Jam 60 times.  If I can't see them on this tour, believe me, I will live.  I'll enjoy the three Wilco shows I'm seeing in April in sold-out theaters with hard tickets that were reasonably made available to customers who wanted or needed them.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,926
    This. Lose your rotary phone, dial up modem and 8 track and get a smart phone.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    As the band's lyricist types up lyrics on a manual typewriter and writes them by hand in marble notebooks that fans would kill to get their hands on... :)
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    As the band's lyricist types up lyrics on a manual typewriter and writes them by hand in marble notebooks that fans would kill to get their hands on... :)
    Oh come on, it's about practicality.  The ways I listen to music are vinyl AND Spotify, one is my preferred means when I have time, the other is a practical way to listen to music on the go, in my car etc.  I'd wager that Eddie sends the odd text message and doesn't have a record player in his car ;) 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    biz999 said:
    I want to give an analogy I just thought of: I'm a vegetarian. If I go to a work dinner, and all the meals have meat, I will ask if there are any alternatives. If not, it's cool, it's my problem to deal with anyways.

Yeah, I was a vegetarian for a long time, and I had exactly the same attitude to things, like when I went out for dinner with friends, I wasn't about to dictate where we ate.  I think what people are commenting on is a perceived underlying superiority of not tainting one's life with a smart phone, when in fact it's a fairly affordable piece of technology that's as intrusive as you want it to be, and like it or not, is used more and more in day to day life.
    I, too, am a vegetarian, and I never ask anyone to accommodate me when picking a restaurant, but it's not that hard because anything that doesn't have meat is vegetarian, and it is a rare restaurant where 100 percent of the items on the menu contain meat.  This situation is not analogous.  You either get into the show or you don't, if the policy is hard and fast.

My reasons for not having a smartphone are definitely not about money but, having said that, "fairly affordable" may mean something different to you than it does to many other people.  Fifty percent of Americans would not be able to come up with $400 in the event of an emergency, so don't assume that everyone has a couple of hundred bucks burning a hole in their pocket to purchase a smartphone.

As far as "perceived underlying superiority," I'm not trying to tell anyone how to live his or her life.  If having a smartphone enriches your life, I think that's great.  I just want to know if I'll be able to get a ticket printed like they did last tour.  How that simple inquiry generated three pages of posts I'm not sure.  I actually almost said in the original post something like "This is a question for the Ten Club. Please refrain from speculating about the answer or from unhelpful replies saying to just get a smartphone."
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,406
    edited January 2020
    I’m a fairly caveman-ish type of person. Wear furs from animals I’ve hunted with a spear, occasionally eat tree bark, pedal my car with my feet, considering switching to Geico, things like that, but even I have a smartphone.

Using it right now to tell you all this.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    And he also has a smartphone
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    The point is not whether it's easy to acquire a smartphone. The point is that someone does not have a smartphone. Either by choice, which in my opinion is perfectly reasonable, or not by choice. And that person simply asked if the band or TC would have another method to get into the show, prior to requesting tickets.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    biz999 said:

I, too, am a vegetarian, and I never ask anyone to accommodate me when picking a restaurant, but it's not that hard because anything that doesn't have meat is vegetarian, and it is a rare restaurant where 100 percent of the items on the menu contain meat.  This situation is not analogous.  You either get into the show or you don't, if the policy is hard and fast.

My reasons for not having a smartphone are definitely not about money but, having said that, "fairly affordable" may mean something different to you than it does to many other people.  Fifty percent of Americans would not be able to come up with $400 in the event of an emergency, so don't assume that everyone has a couple of hundred bucks burning a hole in their pocket to purchase a smartphone.

As far as "perceived underlying superiority," I'm not trying to tell anyone how to live his or her life.  If having a smartphone enriches your life, I think that's great.  I just want to know if I'll be able to get a ticket printed like they did last tour.  How that simple inquiry generated three pages of posts I'm not sure.  I actually almost said in the original post something like "This is a question for the Ten Club. Please refrain from speculating about the answer or from unhelpful replies saying to just get a smartphone."
    A smart phone isn't a couple of hundred bucks here in the UK, and someone said they'd been offered hand me downs which would have sufficed in this instance, so on that premise I don't really see your point.  People in the kind of poverty you're alluding to probably shouldn't be spending their money on expensive gig tickets either.

I appreciate you might not have been soliciting for opinions on your question, but it is a forum where people express their opinions, maybe your question might have been better suited to an email to 10c, or a note attached to a carrier pigeon (that was a joke). 

• Options
    BF25394 said:
    biz999 said:

A smart phone isn't a couple of hundred bucks here in the UK, and someone said they'd been offered hand me downs which would have sufficed in this instance, so on that premise I don't really see your point.  People in the kind of poverty you're alluding to probably shouldn't be spending their money on expensive gig tickets either.

I appreciate you might not have been soliciting for opinions on your question, but it is a forum where people express their opinions, maybe your question might have been better suited to an email to 10c, or a note attached to a carrier pigeon (that was a joke). 

OP was pretty clear that they sent an email to TC, and was hoping to ask here as well because there are only a few days until the lottery. People are allowed to spend their money as they wish. It's not up to us to tell them how to do it.

There were some helpful people early on who offered suggestions. Why don't we stick to trying to help the OP get their question answered, or use our energy in some other helpful way somewhere else.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh come on, it's about practicality.  The ways I listen to music are vinyl AND Spotify, one is my preferred means when I have time, the other is a practical way to listen to music on the go, in my car etc.  I'd wager that Eddie sends the odd text message and doesn't have a record player in his car ;) 
    You don't need a smartphone to send text messages.  And Eddie probably has a CD player in his car.

As a side note, I remember when a vinyl album cost $7.99 and a CD cost $11.99 at my local record store.  Today I can still get new CDs for around $11.99 but vinyl costs at least twice that.  (Today, I paid $15.99 for a CD and $34.99 for vinyl for a forthcoming album by a band that shall remain nameless...)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    BF25394 said:
    biz999 said:

I submitted the question by carrier pigeon, too.  Three days (not much longer) requires all available methods.  I would have tried passenger pigeon as well but, alas, the last one died over a hundred years ago.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Seems reasonable to me not to have a smartphone. 
  • Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    edited January 2020
    Not to be a dick, but I think the email is pretty clear

To give fans the best chance to buy tickets at face value for this tour, Pearl Jam has decided that tickets will be mobile only and strictly non-transferable, except in NY and CO where transferability is required by state law.

SafeTix™ Ticket Transferability Info: SafeTix mobile tickets will be issued for all tickets for all shows. These tickets will be non-transferable, (except in NY and CO where transferability is required by state law), which means that ticket purchasers will be required to enter the venue with their guests. SafeTix tickets use a unique barcode that automatically refreshes every few seconds so they cannot be screenshot or counterfeited. SafeTix tickets require a smartphone to display. No other tickets will be accepted for entry.

Post edited by jazzbo26 on
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    biz999 said:

OP was pretty clear that they sent an email to TC, and was hoping to ask here as well because there are only a few days until the lottery. People are allowed to spend their money as they wish. It's not up to us to tell them how to do it.

There were some helpful people early on who offered suggestions. Why don't we stick to trying to help the OP get their question answered, or use our energy in some other helpful way somewhere else.
    It's late here, I missed the email.....ok I really wanted to get my joke in there :) 

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone means any offence.  It just reminds me of my friend who buys cds, rips them to his pc then puts them away in a cupboard and then transfers the music to his phone, AND has Spotify.  It just seems nonsensical.  
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,179
    edited January 2020
    I’m also pissed the new album isn’t offered on 8 track! Not everyone has a CD player or a turntable! 

Also, why can I only get 10c tickets through email when I have been a standing member for over 20 years? Not everyone has the internet or a computer!

Also, why doesn’t the band play in my city? Not everyone has a car or knows someone that wants to drive them, or likes to fly! 
    Post edited by mookieblalock on
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    edited January 2020

Hi Sharon, 

Requiring a smart phone defeats the purpose of selling tickets thru the fan club.

Pearl Jam’s goal is to vehemently fight high ticket prices. That’s why there is such a fight to keep scalpers away. That’s why their on sale announcement features a 12 step guide and tutorial on proper ticket buying. Other bands simply do not do this. $103 + fees is an absurdly low amount to charge for such an extreme in demand event such as a PJ arena concert. This is like getting World Series tickets for $100. It simply does not happen outside the PJ universe.

So now expensive phones are part of the ticket price. I don’t think an iPod with WiFi will work outside an arena, but perhaps I’m wrong on that.

Edit, 
    Samsung Note 9 user. 
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    biz999 said:

I submitted the question by carrier pigeon, too.  Three days (not much longer) requires all available methods.  I would have tried passenger pigeon as well but, alas, the last one died over a hundred years ago.
    Pony express?
  • Options

Hi Sharon, 

Requiring a smart phone defeats the purpose of selling tickets thru the fan club.

Pearl Jam’s goal is to vehemently fight high ticket prices. That’s why there is such a fight to keep scalpers away. That’s why their on sale announcement features a 12 step guide and tutorial on proper ticket buying. Other bands simply do not do this. $103 + fees is an absurdly low amount to charge for such an extreme in demand event such as a PJ arena concert. This is like getting World Series tickets for $100. It simply does not happen outside the PJ universe.

So now expensive phones are part of the ticket price. I don’t think an iPod with WiFi will work outside an arena, but perhaps I’m wrong on that.

Expensive internet and computers, too! Plus expensive electricity to power them! Plus I have to pay for a domicile to keep them in!
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 824
    A cave?   ;)
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    Adapt or watch the world pass you by.
  • Options
    jazzbo26 said:
    Not to be a dick, but I think the email is pretty clear

To give fans the best chance to buy tickets at face value for this tour, Pearl Jam has decided that tickets will be mobile only and strictly non-transferable, except in NY and CO where transferability is required by state law.

SafeTix™ Ticket Transferability Info: SafeTix mobile tickets will be issued for all tickets for all shows. These tickets will be non-transferable, (except in NY and CO where transferability is required by state law), which means that ticket purchasers will be required to enter the venue with their guests. SafeTix tickets use a unique barcode that automatically refreshes every few seconds so they cannot be screenshot or counterfeited. SafeTix tickets require a smartphone to display. No other tickets will be accepted for entry.

Not to be a c word, but anyone who experiences a boot loop or phone crash day of show probably ain’t getting in.

Nice foresight, rock band.
  • Options
    Can you use the commerative tickets for entry?
  • Options

Hi Sharon, 

Expensive internet and computers, too! Plus expensive electricity to power them! Plus I have to pay for a domicile to keep them in!

You’re bringing your desktop to the show?

the point is, their cause, their goal, in their concert universe, is to fight high ticket prices. So now they require expensive 4g service? I don’t see how WiFi is doing the trick outside a massively crowded arena, but maybe. 

• Options

Hi Sharon, 

You’re bringing your desktop to the show?

the point is, their cause, their goal, in their concert universe, is to fight high ticket prices. So now they require expensive 4g service? I don’t see how WiFi is doing the trick outside a massively crowded arena, but maybe. 

The band has adapted to the world, and so should you. Adapt or watch the world pass you by.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Can someone please tell me where I can get a smart phone for $20? Apparently I have vastly overpaid for mine.
This discussion has been closed.