Options

Accommodations for those without smartphones?

BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,290
Will the Ten Club be making any accommodations for its members who do not have smartphones and who do not have the ability to use "Mobile Entry" tickets?
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Comments

• Options
    FW46778FW46778 Posts: 227
    Nope
    I used to be MILKwasAbadChoice...Now I am just FW46778...a math teacher in jersey
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    probably better to email 10c with that question 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Adapt or become extinct
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    I believe they did for the Home/Away shows in 2018. Email 10c. They'll let you know.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I have emailed the Ten Club, as have other people.  Trying to get an answer as quickly as possible since we only have three days to submit orders, so I'm presenting the question in multiple channels.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    It is a fair question and no one should be forced to have a smartphone in order get the opportunity to fanclub tickets. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    If the safetix system is a barcode that refreshes every few seconds doesn't that imply that you need a smartphone and a mobile data plan?
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    they will give you a code for your abacus 

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    It is a fair question and no one should be forced to have a smartphone in order get the opportunity to fanclub tickets. 
    No one is forcing anyone to do anything. The Ten Club laid out the parameters for how they're going to address the issue of scalping and if that's a burden then I guess people can figure it out.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    BF25394 said:
    Will the Ten Club be making any accommodations for its members who do not have smartphones and who do not have the ability to use "Mobile Entry" tickets?
    Guessing an option will exist at will call.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    From what I gather from the ticketmaster info, you *could* go to the venue box office with ID and perhaps your code? They (ticketmaster) make it sound like that's an easy option, just would have to confirm with 10C if that's ok with pearl jam shows too :)

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    100 Pacer said:
    BF25394 said:
    Guessing an option will exist at will call.
    I haven't seen that anywhere. Unless I'm missing something, that seems like a risky move.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    What is kind of funny is that the email even states how if you have a disability they will provide special seating to accommodate you. But what if your disability prevents you from using a smartphone. Will there be special tickets to accommodate you.

To be honest a lot of times I kind of think that the steps taken to prevent scalping are kind of extreme. Especially when the two easiest ways to actually cut down on scalping would be to raise prices to what the market will bear or to play more shows.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    If the safetix system is a barcode that refreshes every few seconds doesn't that imply that you need a smartphone and a mobile data plan?
    Magical refereshing every few seconds barcodes! I think that was part of the Do The Evolution video, wasn't it? 
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    What is kind of funny is that the email even states how if you have a disability they will provide special seating to accommodate you. But what if your disability prevents you from using a smartphone. Will there be special tickets to accommodate you.

To be honest a lot of times I kind of think that the steps taken to prevent scalping are kind of extreme. Especially when the two easiest ways to actually cut down on scalping would be to raise prices to what the market will bear or to play more shows.
    Yeah, I really wish they would raise ticket prices, since they aren't high enough...
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    You don't need a data plan, just wifi and some sort of screen

You can borrow someone's old phone or an iPod touch for the day and use mobile hotspots and venue wifi to get the tickets while at the venue
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    You can:

1.  Go with someone who has a smartphone
    2.  Borrow an old phone from a family member or friend for the day
    3.  Borrow/use an iPod touch that is also wifi compatible

Unfortunate as it may be for those who don't have smartphones, these three options would be quite easy to pull together in the months leading up to these dates if need be and definitely doable
  • Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 381
    From what I gather from the ticketmaster info, you *could* go to the venue box office with ID and perhaps your code? They (ticketmaster) make it sound like that's an easy option, just would have to confirm with 10C if that's ok with pearl jam shows too :)

That worked for me for the Fenway '18 shows.  I emailed 10C back then and was able to go to the will call window with the ticket info and my ID.  But the language in the new 10C ticketing announcement sounded pretty absolute about smartphone only tickets.

And even borrowing a phone seems like an easy way around the policy for someone trying to profit off a 10C ticket.  Someone could easily give their 10C ticket access to a "friend with a smartphone".

• Options

What if you don’t have email or a computer? What if you if you’re a Pearl Jam fan and want to purchase presale tickets through 10c but don’t want to be forced to use a computer? Should we allow write in ticket requests like the old days?
  • Options
    they will give you a code for your abacus 

You win the internet today
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

Yeah, I really wish they would raise ticket prices, since they aren't high enough...
    They got that ticket prices raised thing down at least... $120 or whatever, people in the nosebleeds are gonna pay that too.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    I'm just hoping there's no issues using the same smartphone for two accounts. My buddy doesn't have one so both my pair and his pair will be sent to my phone. I can't imagine that will be a problem since it's two different profiles but it sounds like they are looking for ways to make it more difficult than it could be. 
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    You can:

1.  Go with someone who has a smartphone
    2.  Borrow an old phone from a family member or friend for the day
    3.  Borrow/use an iPod touch that is also wifi compatible

Unfortunate as it may be for those who don't have smartphones, these three options would be quite easy to pull together in the months leading up to these dates if need be and definitely doable

None of these solutions is necessarily as easy as you think it is.  Not everyone has someone available to make the ticket purchase for them and go to the show with them.  Not everyone has old phones lying around, let alone ones that are still activated.  Many people are unwilling or unable to give away their phones for an evening or more.

Twenty percent of Americans do not have smartphones.  It's not a small minority; it's tens of millions of people.  Venues already make accommodations for shows and for sports events that are otherwise Mobile Entry for this reason.  Hopefully, a similar accommodation will be made here.  It would be ironic for a band that offers an "analog" fan club membership and which has fetishized obsolete technology (vinyl records and typewriters) not to do so.

Regardless, the purpose of this thread was to provide an opportunity for the Ten Club to address this question.  Tips from other fan club members are appreciated but beside the point.
  • Options
    biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    edited January 2020
    well, this is a bummer. I purposefully don't have a cellphone, let alone a smartphone.
    Post edited by biz999 on
  • Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    I would hazard a guess that the majority of the 20 percent that don’t have smartphones, don’t have a cellphone at all.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604

If they raise prices, doesn't that just raise the scalpers price?  
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    PB11041 said:
    The counter argument is that there's only one alternative for people that don't have smartphones.  Hard copies.   This creates a loophole where people can claim to not have a smartphone to get physical tickets they can sell.

On the flipside the big loophole of the 2018 tour was screenshots.  Nothing on the tickets were animated.  Thus you could easily swap/trade/sell tickets once you had the digital copies.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    No, only four percent of Americans do not have a cell phone.

True story-- At the end of December, I had to replace my phone.  As I bought a new basic phone (i.e., non-smart phone), the Verizon sales rep told me, "You'd be surprised.  I sell at least one of these basic phones every day."  Of course, I was not surprised since I was, you know, buying a basic phone from him right then and there.  I thought, "People who don't use smartphones shouldn't be surprised to learn that there are people who don't use smartphones."

I meet people all the time who don't have smartphones.  There are some very famous and successful people who don't have smartphones.  Warren Buffett, Daniel Day-Lewis and Rihanna, to name three very demographically distinct but similarly successful individuals.  There are others.

"P-R-I-V-A-C-Y, it's priceless to me..."  I can't remember who said that...
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    I stand corrected, apologies.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited January 2020
    You can spend $120 on a ticket + travelling but not $20 on a smart phone?
This discussion has been closed.