Options

Australia on firešŸ”„šŸ˜·

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Happy to hear some of our California Fire fighters are heading to Australia to help out.Ā  Cal Fire is also prepping to send in some help.Ā  May as well- things are pretty calm here this time of year.Ā  Hope it helps!
    ā€œThe fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.ā€
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thank you from me for your country's help.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
  • Options
    The smoke in the air is the worst it has been in the part of Melbourne I live.
    It is getting in the house. Hard to breath outside.
    No chance of hanging the washing out to dry our working outside.
    F**K YOU SCOMO!
  • Options
  • Options
    P2 masks sold out at hardware stores. I'm trying to find stock.
  • Options
    The lack of care for this thread by most is pretty disappointing.
  • Options
    rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    The lack of care for this thread by most is pretty disappointing.
    pretty sure the world knows now. There are plenty of news showing more overseas than what we are getting
  • Options
    I know they know but they're all too wrapped in their Trump talk to care.
  • Options
    This brought tears to my eyes

• Options
    Jeff Aments page on facebook paid tribute to Australia. Thanks Jeff
  • Options
    This colour sky i have never seen before. Not even previous catastrophic fires have i ever seen footage anything like we have experienced on such a wide scale. https://www.facebook.com/354115391435898/posts/1409345352579558/
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,281
    I have no words for what is happening to our country right now. Every day brings another awful story of loss, followed by some truly unbelievable acts of bravery by the volunteers, followed by yet more anger at the inept idiot that is supposed to be running the country #scottyfrommarketing

Itā€™s just an absolute horrific roller coaster of emotions, and thereā€™s no real end in sight.
    ā€œDo not postpone happinessā€
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

ā€œPut yer good money on the sunriseā€
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Iā€™ve seen this posted and shared a lot on social media, and itā€™s something all Australians should be on board withĀ 

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    I have no words for what is happening to our country right now. Every day brings another awful story of loss, followed by some truly unbelievable acts of bravery by the volunteers, followed by yet more anger at the inept idiot that is supposed to be running the country #scottyfrommarketing

Itā€™s just an absolute horrific roller coaster of emotions, and thereā€™s no real end in sight.
    exactly how i feel. we had some drizzly rain last night on the mid north coast. already its hot steamy and dry as a bone again. Friday looking to be another challenging day. Its not over by a long shot
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Wow!
    NASA satellite image of the smoke

Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
    Probably the most balanced post Iā€™ve seen on social media for a while...

ā€Alright. A lot of people have asked. I'm a Firefighter in Australia. Let's talk about the fires.

First of all does being a firery give me all the insight to this complex issue? Not even close and I need to make that clear. However I've felt a strong need to say something here because I just can't stomach some of the false science and outright lies being peddled on social media as news or facts.

Hazard reduction burns -Ā 

No, the Greenies haven't been stopping hazard reduction burns from taking place. We still do them and yes we should absolutely do more of them.Ā 

Yes, the weather extremes and droughts have significantly reduced the window in which it is safe to perform these burns.

Yes, the state governments need to invest more money in HRB's. NSW for example, as an estimate, would need to increase their budget from $100million to a half billion, a five fold increase and that money needs to come from somewhere.Ā 

Yes, national parks, wildlife and nature reserves need to burn too but are hard to. They are the sanctuary's for Australian fauna who can no longer survive in the farmlands and housing estates we've constructed. Indiscriminate burning of national parks will literally wipe species off the face of the earth as they often have nowhere else to go.

Yes, indigenous people used to manage the land through burning and have a contribution here. However, Australia is a different landscape now, home to 24 million people and so HRB's needs to be managed differently.

Yes, conditions have been so bad this season that fires have still burnt through areas where hazard reduction burns were completed earlier in the year.

Climate change -Ā 

No climate change is not starting fires. Lightening strikes, people, negligence etc.. is starting fires.Ā 

BUT Yes, climate change is contributing to increasing temperatures and increasing drought severity which is creating worsening fire conditions.Ā 

Yes, climate change is contributing to a longer fire season.Ā 

Yes, we should have acted on climate change long ago. All of us. The whole world. Everyone.

No, no one knows exactly how much climate change has contributed to exacerbating the conditions for this year's catastrophic fire season however the best science available and scientific consensus is that there is an undeniable link.Ā 

Aerial firefighting -Ā 

Yes, as the fire season grows longer and northern and southern hemisphere fire seasons overlap more and more, Australia will have to invest in its own aerial firefighting fleet and not rely on leasing from overseas. Perhaps we should have done this earlier. We didn't.Ā 

Politics and the media -Ā 

Yes these fires have been politicised and yes our media is politicised.Ā 

If you're left leaning and read Fairfax newspapers, you're more likely to blame Scomo and the government right now for their response. If you're right leaning and read News Ltd newspapers you're more likely to blame the greens right now for 'stopping' hazard reduction burns. Your social media is politicised in the same way and will show and share media that supports your general position and most likely strengthen your own existing narrative.Ā 

No, a video on FB of a guy in the bush screaming at the greens is not facts about what caused these fires. No, a video of someone shouting at Scomo for not funding the NSW Rural Fire Service (state gov funded) is not facts about what caused these fires.Ā 

Has Scomo done enough? Should he have gone on holidays? If you know me you know I'm left leaning so my answer will naturally contain a bias.

The best solution? A royal commission. Let's let impartial experts tell us what went wrong and how to act in response to it. I think you'll find we're all a little bit right as well as a little bit wrong.

What can you do right now?? Fucking donate!! The Red Cross appeal, the Salvation Army, Wires, Port Macquarie Koala Hospital, your state Rural Fire Service. Whoever. Do your research and donate wisely.

On top of this, once the smoke clears, grab your mates or family, jump in the car and visit these towns, spend money in their shops, stay the night, help get their local economy's back on track. They will need our support.Ā 

Finally, to all of my firefighting brethren back home in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and the whole east coast, both career and volunteer, I know you've worked harder in the last 6 weeks than you've ever worked in your entire life and I'm so immensely proud of you all. Stay safe.ā€

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Australia ā¤ļø Stay strongĀ 
  • Options
    Wow!

Sorry South America... Yes it has travelled that far nowšŸ˜·
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Probably the most balanced post Iā€™ve seen on social media for a while...

ā€Alright. A lot of people have asked. I'm a Firefighter in Australia. Let's talk about the fires.

First of all does being a firery give me all the insight to this complex issue? Not even close and I need to make that clear. However I've felt a strong need to say something here because I just can't stomach some of the false science and outright lies being peddled on social media as news or facts.

Hazard reduction burns -Ā 

No, the Greenies haven't been stopping hazard reduction burns from taking place. We still do them and yes we should absolutely do more of them.Ā 

Yes, the weather extremes and droughts have significantly reduced the window in which it is safe to perform these burns.

Yes, the state governments need to invest more money in HRB's. NSW for example, as an estimate, would need to increase their budget from $100million to a half billion, a five fold increase and that money needs to come from somewhere.Ā 

Yes, national parks, wildlife and nature reserves need to burn too but are hard to. They are the sanctuary's for Australian fauna who can no longer survive in the farmlands and housing estates we've constructed. Indiscriminate burning of national parks will literally wipe species off the face of the earth as they often have nowhere else to go.

Yes, indigenous people used to manage the land through burning and have a contribution here. However, Australia is a different landscape now, home to 24 million people and so HRB's needs to be managed differently.

Yes, conditions have been so bad this season that fires have still burnt through areas where hazard reduction burns were completed earlier in the year.

Climate change -Ā 

No climate change is not starting fires. Lightening strikes, people, negligence etc.. is starting fires.Ā 

BUT Yes, climate change is contributing to increasing temperatures and increasing drought severity which is creating worsening fire conditions.Ā 

Yes, climate change is contributing to a longer fire season.Ā 

Yes, we should have acted on climate change long ago. All of us. The whole world. Everyone.

No, no one knows exactly how much climate change has contributed to exacerbating the conditions for this year's catastrophic fire season however the best science available and scientific consensus is that there is an undeniable link.Ā 

Aerial firefighting -Ā 

Yes, as the fire season grows longer and northern and southern hemisphere fire seasons overlap more and more, Australia will have to invest in its own aerial firefighting fleet and not rely on leasing from overseas. Perhaps we should have done this earlier. We didn't.Ā 

Politics and the media -Ā 

Yes these fires have been politicised and yes our media is politicised.Ā 

If you're left leaning and read Fairfax newspapers, you're more likely to blame Scomo and the government right now for their response. If you're right leaning and read News Ltd newspapers you're more likely to blame the greens right now for 'stopping' hazard reduction burns. Your social media is politicised in the same way and will show and share media that supports your general position and most likely strengthen your own existing narrative.Ā 

No, a video on FB of a guy in the bush screaming at the greens is not facts about what caused these fires. No, a video of someone shouting at Scomo for not funding the NSW Rural Fire Service (state gov funded) is not facts about what caused these fires.Ā 

Has Scomo done enough? Should he have gone on holidays? If you know me you know I'm left leaning so my answer will naturally contain a bias.

The best solution? A royal commission. Let's let impartial experts tell us what went wrong and how to act in response to it. I think you'll find we're all a little bit right as well as a little bit wrong.

What can you do right now?? Fucking donate!! The Red Cross appeal, the Salvation Army, Wires, Port Macquarie Koala Hospital, your state Rural Fire Service. Whoever. Do your research and donate wisely.

On top of this, once the smoke clears, grab your mates or family, jump in the car and visit these towns, spend money in their shops, stay the night, help get their local economy's back on track. They will need our support.Ā 

Finally, to all of my firefighting brethren back home in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and the whole east coast, both career and volunteer, I know you've worked harder in the last 6 weeks than you've ever worked in your entire life and I'm so immensely proud of you all. Stay safe.ā€
    The bestšŸ™Œ
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    šŸ˜˜
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Donations sent to Givit and Kangaroo Island Wildlife Park yesterday.Ā  Wish I could send more than I did; I'll never sniff wealth but I had to help even in a small way.Ā  Please stay safe out there, my Aussie friends!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited January 2020
    Wow!

Did you see the pictures of Fran Josef Glacier in NZ?Ā  The snow is brown.Ā  It's 2000km away!!Ā  (For fellow Americans, that's like a fire from Kansas City covering Manhattan in ash.)

• Options
    Donations sent to Givit and Kangaroo Island Wildlife Park yesterday.Ā  Wish I could send more than I did; I'll never sniff wealth but I had to help even in a small way.Ā  Please stay safe out there, my Aussie friends!
    Thank you it means so so much to us
  • Options
    Wow!

Did you see the pictures of Fran Josef Glacier in NZ?Ā  The snow is brown.Ā  It's 2000km away!!Ā  (For fellow Americans, that's like a fire from Kansas City covering Manhattan in ash.)

Sad that we have had this type fire now in northern, mid coast, central coast and now south coast NSW. VIC. S.A..... QLD, W.A & TAS have also suffered but not to the extent of the first few states. Northern Territory has also had its fair share of fire. Of the pockets we had left of national parks and major forests in NSW majority of it is gonešŸ’”
  • Options
    Thank you so much! You are a champion!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Wow!

OMG I have not seen this before.
    Sorry to NZ. I hope the NZ government puts pressure on our stupid PM.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Thanks Anna.
  • Options