Excitement Level For Possible 2020 U.S. Stadium “Tour?”

Comments

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    edited December 2019
    Indifferent (pun intended) - Might see me there.
    I would love it if they played the Alpine Valley Theater in East Troy, WI again.  Whatever the venue, I would love to see them.
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Not excited at all - Highly unlikely I attend.
    Please no more stadium shows...
    +1
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Not excited at all - Highly unlikely I attend.

“I don’t see the sense in doing the same thing over and over again, like to me to be alive is to continue to change”

- Jerry Garcia

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

jmug23 said:
    I voted indifferent. I’ve seen Boston, Wrigley, Safeco and  Missoula. All were fun but ready for something different.  That being said, I still love the band and I’m sure I’d still end up going to one of them.  
    Same with you and I did all the inaugurals in Wrigley 13, Boston 16, Sea and Mizz 18.   Let's have some new areas but not stadiums...  But I will admit Missoula on the floor was cool as that felt like an arena show.
  • MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    Arena shows please!! 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Excited - I’m there, but been there, done that.

“I don’t see the sense in doing the same thing over and over again, like to me to be alive is to continue to change”

- Jerry Garcia

And yet he died because he did heroin, over and over again.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• AggAgg Posts: 462
    Might go if it was local, but I don't have much interest in spending so much money on travel, lodging, and tickets just to sit behind a net all night. The sound sucks, and even the best non-GA tickets are so far from the band. Not to mention the stress of weather delays...
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    They better sell some good nutsack merch this time
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    They're not going to stop playing arenas nor are they going to only play baseball stadiums. Good lord, one small ballpark tour and you all think that's just going to be it from now on.
    PB11041 said:

- Jerry Garcia

That’s pretty low, there’d be no Pearl Jam as you know it without him. He also said one of his main objectives in life was to have fun, not to live forever.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
    JimmyV said:
    It doesn't matter the venue. I will never not be excited when they play Boston.
    If you bought the Boston shirt at the last Fenway show with most/all of the Boston venues that Pearl Jam has played thus far, what venue in the area would you like to add to that list that Pearl Jam has not played yet?
  • LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 691
    A New album would be great. Smaller venues even better.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited December 2019
    Not excited.  Did wrigley.  Cool experience, but not worth the money, time, and travel currency to do a second time.

If they did something driveable (to and from in 1 day) like pnc park or progressive field), i would possibly attend, but not trip over myself to go
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    This would be the worst - Zero chance I go and I’m throwing away all PJ vinyl.
    sellouts play stadiums.  pun intended.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    I feel like the last few years of stadiums has tainted how I feel about the level of interest in seeing the band and that makes me sad. I used to be of the “just play anywhere” group and I went and I traveled to Chicago and Boston, multiple times, and the experience has just felt different 
    the passion has subsided after seeing them for 20 years. All the merch, and the far away seats, and the crowds, and the Kevin youkillis, and the baseball jerseys, just all of it feels well, not like it used to. 
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Hoagie BreathHoagie Breath Philly Yo Posts: 105
    Baseball stadiums are not really that good sounding unless your right up front. Football stadiums on the other hand ain't that bad. I'll take an arena show hands down over any stadium show 10 out of 10 times but if PJ does a stadium tour again this year and Philly is on the list please, please play The Linc over Citizens Bank Park. After seeing concerts in both, The Linc sound wise is like night and day better over  CB Park.
    And not that they give a shit, but the tour promoters probably do, The Linc has roughly 20,000 more seats to sell. They will have no problem selling out here in Philly.
    Fuck it, move to Philly for a month and play 20 nights at The Tower, best sounding venue Philly (well Upper Darby) has to offer. 
    '92 Philly 04.10
    '94 Boston 04.10 
    '95 DC 01.15 
    '96 Columbia 09.24, NYC 09.29, Hartford 10.02
    '98 DC 06.14, Camden 08.28, Camden 08.29, E. Rutherford 09.08, NYC 09.10, NYC 09.11, Hartford 09.13, Columbia 09.18
    '00 Camden 09.01, Camden 09.02, Columbia 09.04
    '03 Philly 04.23, Camden 07.05, Camden 07.06, NYC 07.09, Hershey 07.12, Holmdel 07.14
    '04 Reading 10.01, DC 10.11
    '05 AC 09.30, AC 10.01, Philly 10.03, Chicago 10.05
    '06 NYC 05.05, Camden 05.27, Camden 05.28, DC 05.30, E. Rutherford 06.03
    '08 Camden 06.19, Camden 06.20, DC 06.22, NYC 06.24, NYC 06.25
    '09 Philly 10.27, Philly 10.28, Philly 10.30, Philly 10.31
    '10 Hartford 05.15, Newark 05.18, NYC 05.20, NYC 05.21
    '12 Philly 09.02
    '13 Philly 10.21, Philly 10.22
    '16 Philly 04.28, Philly 04.29
    '18 Boston 09.02
    '21 Asbury Park 09.18
    '22 Camden 09.14

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    if i have the money, and vacations days i go anywhere..i dont care fior the venue,or the city..i dont have the luxury to play in my country so im not picky,,i wanna see the band..rest are details means nothing to me.
    money and days off work available..and i go whereever the band can plug in and play a show.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    PB11041 said:

- Jerry Garcia

That’s pretty low, there’d be no Pearl Jam as you know it without him. He also said one of his main objectives in life was to have fun, not to live forever.
    Facts are not low, they are self evident.  There would be no Pearl Jam without Jerry Garcia?  Look I am a Dead fan, fortunate to see them about a dozen times between 1992 and 1995, saw Garcia Band a couple times as well.  There is absolutely no evident connection between the Dead and Pearl Jam other than once they borrowed their stage.   To say there would be no Pearl Jam without Jerry Garcia is utterly ridiculous and beside the point.  

Garcia was an exceptional guitar player, for my money within the pantheon of lets say loosely "rock" music, he was the subjectively the best, particularly at playing in the moment and "improvising".

None of that changes the fact that he was not a prophet and certainly lived a contradictory life to his words at times.  

To quote Garcia on how to live life is like quoting John Lennon on child rearing.  Don't confuse musical excellence with some mystical ability to answer the secrets of life.  

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    edited December 2019

JimmyV said:
    If you bought the Boston shirt at the last Fenway show with most/all of the Boston venues that Pearl Jam has played thus far, what venue in the area would you like to add to that list that Pearl Jam has not played yet?
    1) The Wang Center
    2) Harborlights (I think it is called Blue Hills Bank Pavilion now)
    3) Tanglewood (not Boston but Mass)

Also curious to know what the planned Fenway Music Hall they are building will be like.

Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    if i have the money, and vacations days i go anywhere..i dont care fior the venue,or the city..i dont have the luxury to play in my country so im not picky,,i wanna see the band..rest are details means nothing to me.
    money and days off work available..and i go whereever the band can plug in and play a show.
    I agree.  I have preferences, but the only things that matter are:
    1) Can I get the time off work
    2) Can I take my family or is it an ok time to be away
    3) Do I have the $

If I have 3 Yes's....I'll be there no matter the type of venue.  Though I guess for some venues I will work harder at getting a yes for #1 or #2. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I agree.  I have preferences, but the only things that matter are:
    1) Can I get the time off work
    2) Can I take my family or is it an ok time to be away
    3) Do I have the $

If I have 3 Yes's....I'll be there no matter the type of venue.  Though I guess for some venues I will work harder at getting a yes for #1 or #2. ;)
    Nah I use to feel like this , I’ve passed on a lot of PJ shows in the last 10 yrs didn’t even try for MSG or Fenway the last time they played those venues.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    I think it's easier for everyone involved (band and crew) when they do stadiums.   I've seen all 5 Wrigley shows and the excitement has kind of worn off.   2016 my reserved seats for both nights were so far back and to the side both nights I almost wish I had only gone one night and given someone else the opportunity to have them the second night.   The thrill of stadiums for me has passed.   It would have to be the right date and day of the week to go for me but I wouldn't go out of my way to go.     
    Just curious on why you think it's easier for everyone involved (band and crew) when they do stadiums? Im'm not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to understand why they would prefer stadium venues.
    Thank you in advance.
    They set up for 4 days; do a couple shows potentially with a day off in between.   And only need to do it 4 or 5 locations.   It's less work.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Excited - I’m there, but been there, done that.
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:
    1) The Wang Center

Also curious to know what the planned Fenway Music Hall they are building will be like.

1500 capacity or so... I was going to try for Pixies tickets there for next week, but I'm seeing Battles in Allston (Probably wouldn't have scored a ticket anyway)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I haven’t seen a stadium show, but would prefer a smaller venue. That being said, I haven’t seen them since 2013 (!!), so I’m excited to see them again soon—no matter where they play.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:
    1) The Wang Center

1500 capacity or so... I was going to try for Pixies tickets there for next week, but I'm seeing Battles in Allston (Probably wouldn't have scored a ticket anyway)
    Different spot...that's Big Night Live. Fenway Theatre will be just over 5000. There's a third new venue that will open in Allston, too.

Very interested to see how this impacts calendars. Hopefully it means more shows, but once the Sinclair opened, the Middle East dried up overnight. Not that I'm complaining. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    edited December 2019

Edit: forgot to vote before posting

I'm there if it's Fenway but I'm not traveling for stadium shows. I did Wrigley '13, and all 4 Fenway shows, the novelty has definitely worn off. (I would however, travel for an arena tour.)

I really hate Fenway for concerts at this point, but I won't not go see Pearl Jam if they're playing in my town (it also helps that it's only 20 minutes from my house, they couldn't possibly play a venue closer to where I live). I would much prefer the Garden over Fenway for the following reasons:

Weather isn't a factor at arenas - not only do I not want to stand in the rain for shows at this point, wind can f w/ the sound (not to mention the whole delay @ Wrigley in 2013... that was rough)

The crowd is half the size***

The view & proximity to the band - Arenas are more intimate, at least relatively speaking.  I've never had a bad view at one, where as my seats for both Fenway shows in 2018 were shite. (after being on the lawn for both shows in 2016 - bad seats do exist at arenas, like behind the stage for example, but I've never been stuck there, so I'm just speaking from personal experiences)

***I do have to say however, Jeremy at Fenway 2 '18 was possibly the best version I ever heard them play, what with the crowd helping out on the vocals in the back half of the song. I got chills hearing that, it was amazing 

(Despite hating Fenway PJ could definitely play worse venues around here [Mansfield for example... F that place], so if they do come back to the Fens, I won't be bitching too much about it, I'll just be happy to see PJ again.)

TLDR: I'll see Pearl Jam at any venue they play in Massachusetts, but would prefer arenas. I'm over stadium shows & won't travel for any. I'm hoping they get back to playing arenas, and would definitely travel for arena shows.

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    edited December 2019
    I think it's easier for everyone involved (band and crew) when they do stadiums.   I've seen all 5 Wrigley shows and the excitement has kind of worn off.   2016 my reserved seats for both nights were so far back and to the side both nights I almost wish I had only gone one night and given someone else the opportunity to have them the second night.   The thrill of stadiums for me has passed.   It would have to be the right date and day of the week to go for me but I wouldn't go out of my way to go.     
    Just curious on why you think it's easier for everyone involved (band and crew) when they do stadiums? Im'm not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to understand why they would prefer stadium venues.
    Thank you in advance.
    They set up for 4 days; do a couple shows potentially with a day off in between.   And only need to do it 4 or 5 locations.   It's less work.   

Not to mention ticket sales: 2 nights at Fenway is about 70K +/- tickets, whereas an average arena is 16-18K. They would have to play 4 arenas in at least 2 cities, (which involves breaking down the stage, traveling with stage & crew to another city and then another setup - that's a lot more overhead) to sell that many tickets.... that factor alone is probably enough for them to keep playing stadiums if they're selling them out... it's a no brainer from a business standpoint.

(edited for grammar)

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Just finished listening the S/T album for the first time in a while. Damn, it's good :rock_on: and got me excited to see PJ in any venue. Been too long. #comeback
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited December 2019
    If I'm reading the poll correctly, which is certainly not a given...

Excited categories losing to not excited for stadiums by 47 to 53% margin. On the fan club forum. Someone want to IM Ed with that result?
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 204
    Not sure I've seen this mentioned, but even though Fenway was enjoyable last year, the curfew really took away from both shows. The encores felt rushed and 3-4 songs got scratched each night. Once we got past 10pm you could see Ed checking the clock on the side of the stage. I'd much rather see them in an arena where there isn't a hard 10:30 curfew.