Options

Excitement Level For Possible 2020 U.S. Stadium “Tour?”

Comments

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    Excited - I’m there, but been there, done that.
    Fenway was fun, but don't need to do that again. I'd attend a stadium show in Norcal, but would prefer an arena like Oracle in Oakland or an arena in Sacramento. Both have good airports close by.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Given current poll data, 45% of voters are 50/50 at best to attend another run of stadium shows. I realize this is a small sample size, but it also represents some of the band’s most devoted fans. Maybe PJ should take notice and do some arenas in 2020. If PJ were to announce a proper arena tour, including many of the long overdue N.A. cities, I think I’d need to add a new voting category of “I’m so excited I just pissed myself.”  It would probably get >90% of the votes! 
  • Options
    Not excited at all - Highly unlikely I attend.
    bbiggs said:
    Given current poll data, 45% of voters are 50/50 at best to attend another run of stadium shows. I realize this is a small sample size, but it also represents some of the band’s most devoted fans. Maybe PJ should take notice and do some arenas in 2020. If PJ were to announce a proper arena tour, including many of the long overdue N.A. cities, I think I’d need to add a new voting category of “I’m so excited I just pissed myself.”  It would probably get >90% of the votes! 
    They will still sell out so they won't care.  I think that these past few years the stadium shows were a premonition to things to come?
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    They will still sell out so they won't care.  I think that these past few years the stadium shows were a premonition to things to come?
    Will they though? How many times can they continue to sell out Wrigley and Fenway if the formula remains identical? Honest question. I don’t know the answer. 
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Honestly, Wrigley last year in the rain was epic. If that's my last show, then I'm happy for that one to be it. I don't think a show at a hockey arena is going to top that.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Will they though? How many times can they continue to sell out Wrigley and Fenway if the formula remains identical? Honest question. I don’t know the answer. 
    Fair question.  They may stop the stadium shows if they stop selling out.   Since that hasn't happened yet, they will keep doing them.  
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    edited December 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would do a local stadium show in philly or nyc but I wouldn’t travel to one again.  Been there done that.  
    I'm right with you. ONLY way i go to another Stadium show if it's real close to me, so i can drive there and back home in a reasonable amount of time. As, i'll be home in an hour or 2 after the show is over.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Fair question.  They may stop the stadium shows if they stop selling out.   Since that hasn't happened yet, they will keep doing them.  
    My guess is you’re right. They’ll ride this out as long as people keep showing up. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Indifferent (pun intended) - Might see me there.
    bbiggs said:
    I don't know why everyone thinks this.  They still play arenas in every other part of the world.  The US isn't going to be any different.
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    Would rather they play indoors. I've had enough of outdoor stadiums but would certainly drag myself to Wrigley again. Soldier Field would be cool.
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    I think it's easier for everyone involved (band and crew) when they do stadiums.   I've seen all 5 Wrigley shows and the excitement has kind of worn off.   2016 my reserved seats for both nights were so far back and to the side both nights I almost wish I had only gone one night and given someone else the opportunity to have them the second night.   The thrill of stadiums for me has passed.   It would have to be the right date and day of the week to go for me but I wouldn't go out of my way to go.     
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    It is important to remember, short of comments by one radio DJ in Chicago, we have no indication yet that they plan to play ballparks in 2020.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    It is important to remember, short of comments by one radio DJ in Chicago, we have no indication yet that they plan to play ballparks in 2020.
    100% agreed. An all stadium run is completely speculative, but would seem like a plausible outcome based on recent trends. I hope to be “wowed” with an arena/shed tour. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Did they last play a shed in 2011?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Like everyone else I hope they do arenas and not stadiums.  I won’t go unless they’re near me if they do stadiums again, and there’s not much of a chance of that since I’m in tx.  I’d love them to do arenas in places around the country so I can make a vacation out of it.  I have no problem doing that for arenas, but having done stadiums for a lot of different bands in the last decade, I think the novelty has sort of worn off on me.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    I think it's easier for everyone involved (band and crew) when they do stadiums.   I've seen all 5 Wrigley shows and the excitement has kind of worn off.   2016 my reserved seats for both nights were so far back and to the side both nights I almost wish I had only gone one night and given someone else the opportunity to have them the second night.   The thrill of stadiums for me has passed.   It would have to be the right date and day of the week to go for me but I wouldn't go out of my way to go.     
    Just curious on why you think it's easier for everyone involved (band and crew) when they do stadiums? Im'm not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to understand why they would prefer stadium venues.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,168
    I'd probably do the usual. GA or bust.

I don't like being further back at stadiums, but they're pretty fund if you've got a decent spot in the pit.   For me showing up around 4pm usually gets me somewhere in the middle about 15 people back.   It's a little tedious waiting (especially if it's cooking hot outside), but worth it.

I get what the band are doing.   They seem to try and do shows in different regions.  They don't do enough shows to play close to everyone, but if they play a handful of different regions, then people only have to travel medium far instead of super far.    If they don't have it in them to do serious touring, then I think it makes sense to do it this way.    Tentpole locations that aren't awful to travel too.   Stadium shows to deal with the demand for tickets.   I don't think they could do arenas with the small amount of tour dates.   Ticket demand would be brutal.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    mcgruff10 said:
    Did they last play a shed in 2011?
    Yep.  2010 they played a shed in Indy.  
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    Just curious on why you think it's easier for everyone involved (band and crew) when they do stadiums? Im'm not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to understand why they would prefer stadium venues.
    Thank you in advance.
    I think basically fewer shows = less travel and less time away from family. Less work for the crew to set up and break down.  They can make as much money and sell as many tickets from 6-8 stadiums than 15-20 arenas.  And if they do it like 2018, they do it over the course of 4 weekends as opposed to being gone for 4-6 weeks.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Depends on the timing really. Last one was the beginning of the school year which is always difficult to take off. And during the holiday weekends is always more expensive. I had tons of fun in Wrigley, but I don't think I can miss the second week of school again, and drop about $1400 for 2 shows
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    edited December 2019
    I voted indifferent. I’ve seen Boston, Wrigley, Safeco and  Missoula. All were fun but ready for something different.  That being said, I still love the band and I’m sure I’d still end up going to one of them.  
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    Extremely excited - Best thing ever. I’m there!!
    As long as the stadiums include some new cities, and a (rain-free) Wrigley visit, absolutely. Just hope there are enough dates to go on a mini-tour with them and not stops separated by weeks.

I’d be more interested in Alpine/Gorge/Red Rocks but I’ll take whatever we get in 2020.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,168
    JimmyV said:
    I don't think I get the same thrill from arenas that other people seem to.
    I think it's less about the thrill of arenas, and more so about sheer size of Stadium shows (lineups for everything, over 2/3rd of the seats being further back than the worst seat in an arena)... that kind of stuff.   I didn't really notice until right after the 2018 PJ shows.   I'd seen a string of stadium shows and got used to them.  Then I saw the Foo Fighers play an Arena in Vancouver.    No lineups, lots of room, and it felt so small.    I don't recall an arena feeling small before... lol.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    I’ve enjoyed all the stadium shows, but I’ve always had decent enough seats.
    My biggest beef with the stadium tour are lack of choices. If I can’t make one of 3 weekends work to travel, then I can’t see them. I will probably only travel once per tour either way, more shows means more choices and better chances of it happening.
  • Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    If they do, can they add Rickey Henderson Field in Oakland ;-). Seriously though excited for any US tour, just wanna see them again
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    I’d rather a stadium show on a weekend in the Summer than an arena show on a Tuesday in October or November. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    I’d rather a stadium show on a weekend in the Summer than an arena show on a Tuesday in October or November. 
    Why can’t we have both?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    If they play Grand Canyon I’m there!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Why can’t we have both?
    Amen
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Extremely excited - Best thing ever. I’m there!!
    Excited for any show/venue but it'd pretty much have to be in Seattle (or Vancouver - which is never going to happen in a stadium) for me to attend.