Options

Dreamforce -Eddie Vedder

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    It's not for the rich. 150,000 people attend this thing. It's a software conference. With this kind of demand they should release a Live at Dreamforce Blu-ray.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited November 2019
    Everyone always thinks these events and Oracle were played to a bunch of 1 percenters.  

Its more like thousands and thousands of Middle class workers who got sent there by their job.  Its no exclusive club other than maybe most folks having an IT or a sales job.  Most attendees household budgets would take a Huge hit if they traveled and paid for this conference out of pocket so Its always cool tho when they’re able to book big bands for these people to have a nice night out.  and in most cases you can buy just the entertainment pass for cheap from the website and never have to attend

How is this different from the band playing a corporate festival like ACL/Lollapalooza/Coachella or them playing the MTV award shows that everyone loves to rewatch?   Every big band wants these gigs and no reputation is taking a hit from this.  I skipped one conference a few months ago and the music lineup was Weezer, the Foo Fighters, and a few indie bands.  That sounds like a decent night out when you’re visiting a cool city. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    Sounds uplifting and like a good investment in professional development ...
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    Everyone always thinks these events and Oracle were played to a bunch of 1 percenters.  

Its more like thousands and thousands of Middle class workers who got sent there by their job.  Its no exclusive club other than maybe most folks having an IT or a sales job.  Most attendees household budgets would take a Huge hit if they traveled and paid for this conference out of pocket so Its always cool tho when they’re able to book big bands for these people to have a nice night out.  and in most cases you can buy just the entertainment pass for cheap from the website and never have to attend

How is this different from the band playing a corporate festival like ACL/Lollapalooza/Coachella or them playing the MTV award shows that everyone loves to rewatch?   Every big band wants these gigs and no reputation is taking a hit from this.  I skipped one conference a few months ago and the music lineup was Weezer, the Foo Fighters, and a few indie bands.  That sounds like a decent night out when you’re visiting a cool city. 
    This is exactly how our CRM guys described it to me. They could have gone this year but didn't. They also echoed what other people have said about how the draw for speakers is Salesforce cutting a check to charity. I don't know anything about this myself, but it certainly lines up and seems like a worthwhile use of time for him in my book.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    pjl44 said:

This is exactly how our CRM guys described it to me. They could have gone this year but didn't. They also echoed what other people have said about how the draw for speakers is Salesforce cutting a check to charity. I don't know anything about this myself, but it certainly lines up and seems like a worthwhile use of time for him in my book.
    this sounds reasonable. 
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,577

It’s different from festivals because everyone can’t buy a ticket. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited November 2019
    ComeToTX said:

you can for the majority of them.  Thats how I've taken my wife to the shows.  

My main point is that something like ACL or Coachella is sponsored by a huge number of Fortune 500 companies.  Bands want those gigs because the paychecks are massive, even if you’re playing at 1pm.  On top of that you’re playing the Honda stage or the Pepsi stage and your webcast is presented by Pizza Hut.  How is Salesforce, Cisco, or Oracle a sin?
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

At least all of others can look it up afterwards on youtube. 

Oh, the marvels of technology
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,577
    ComeToTX said:

you can for the majority of them.  Thats how I've taken my wife to the shows.  

My main point is that something like ACL or Coachella is sponsored by a huge number of Fortune 500 companies.  Bands want those gigs because the paychecks are massive, even if you’re playing at 1pm.  On top of that you’re playing the Honda stage or the Pepsi stage and your webcast is presented by Pizza Hut.  How is Salesforce, Cisco, or Oracle a sin?
    i never said it was a sin.  i'm saying it's not the same because it's not.  for acl fest we get an announcement of the shows months ahead of time and a chance to buy tickets.  this is nothing like that.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    for me, seeing Ed do solo stuff is not particularly interesting.  And that's sort of at the core of my frustration with stuff like this.  i'll leave it there for now.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    i guess i'll just start telling people there is a no camera policy on me everywhere i go. #becauseisaidso
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,479
    vaggar99 said:
    for me, seeing Ed do solo stuff is not particularly interesting.  And that's sort of at the core of my frustration with stuff like this.  i'll leave it there for now.
    I'm right there with you.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    vaggar99 said:
    Everyone of your prior comments on the topic suggests your core frustration was markedly different.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    My boss just came back from San Francisco and gave me these. Better than nothing I guess ;)

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,439
    JPPJ84 said:
    My boss just came back from San Francisco and gave me these. Better than nothing I guess ;)

Is that the regular and the variant?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    on2legs said:
    JPPJ84 said:

Is that the regular and the variant?
    Both SE! The right one holds up easily with the EV Mumford London I think :tongue:
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Everyone of your prior comments on the topic suggests your core frustration was markedly different.  
    what can i say?  the brain works in mysterious ways.  there is still correlation though 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,901
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,049
    Ed using his Seattle 51 pick for the pick collectors wondering LOL
  • Options
    DT6012DT6012 Posts: 202
    Betterman

Solid. 
  • Options
    Ed using his Seattle 51 pick for the pick collectors wondering LOL

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,919
    demetrios said:

how come he's pictured with an Ewok? :wink::lol:
    Ewok GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    I would love to know the backstory on the brown curtain and the lighting.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,071
    Guaranteed 
    Society
    Betterman 

ed sounded great!
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    Is there anywhere to still hear this?
  • Options

• Options